McCarthy is not our head coach, but were discussing his drama anyway thread (MERGED)

funaz

McCarthy was never a favorite of mine to be the Jets coach, i was indifferent about him until this year in fantasy football i started seeing how infuriating he was as a playcaller.

Drafted Aaron Jones late and he would have been a league winner if McCarthy wasn't such a stubborn f*ck. 

Jones would rush for like 8,6,14 yards in a sequence and be substituted for Jamaal Williams (who is half the talent Jones is) or just totally abandoned. You could tell the defense was worried about Jones and you can't exactly play an 8 man box vs Rodgers...

It seemed like such an obvious move to use Jones more and obviously i have no idea what happened behind the scenes but f*ck Mike McCarthy.

you can get on almost any coach but I read the article and even heard some talk radio show about it adn the hosts had the same opinion Aaron Rodgers is a jerk with no people skills.

Sorry but tell me exactly how this makes McCarthy to be a jerk. When the qb is changing plays you can not rationally blame either the coach or the qb for failed offense because only the team actually knows what happened. they gave Rodgers a big contract so the coach had to go. The real difference will be how they do this yr.

time will tell if Gase is good so far he has allot to prove to allot of fans quickly, McCarthy would have brought the team more time to build a winner. If gase flops fans will turn quick

2 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

McCarthy was never a favorite of mine to be the Jets coach, i was indifferent about him until this year in fantasy football i started seeing how infuriating he was as a playcaller.

Drafted Aaron Jones late and he would have been a league winner if McCarthy wasn't such a stubborn f*ck. 

Jones would rush for like 8,6,14 yards in a sequence and be substituted for Jamaal Williams (who is half the talent Jones is) or just totally abandoned. You could tell the defense was worried about Jones and you can't exactly play an 8 man box vs Rodgers...

It seemed like such an obvious move to use Jones more and obviously i have no idea what happened behind the scenes but f*ck Mike McCarthy.

MM playing Jamaal "the slug" over AaJo was my biggest knock on him during the coaching search.

I couldnt understand how the whole world knew who the best RB on his team was... and he didn't.   Inexcusable.  I compared it to a coach choosing Shonn Greene over Freeman McNeil.

2 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

the fact that he did zilch to develop an adequate backup behind rodgers is the mark of a bad coach

I thought the article made Rodgers out to be more of the issue. Holding that grudge from the draft all the way till McCarthy coached GB?? That's absurd.  They never had a chance to maximize their potential with that resentment infecting the relationship from the word go. 

I'm going to enjoy watching Lafluer be the offensive assistant to HC Rodgers this season. 

27 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I thought the article made Rodgers out to be more of the issue. Holding that grudge from the draft all the way till McCarthy coached GB?? That's absurd.  They never had a chance to maximize their potential with that resentment infecting the relationship from the word go. 

I'm going to enjoy watching Lafluer be the offensive assistant to HC Rodgers this season. 

Rodgers definitely had a part in this toxicity but McCarthy contributed to it with his ineptitude.

5 hours ago, funaz said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

Pretty scathing article, I don't like Game but he's better than that chump

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Man that was long - good read though

what a sh*t show

thank god Mac passed on that old burnt out gas bag- Gase’s interviews are refreshing

Sorry but tell me exactly how this makes McCarthy to be a jerk.

Blowing off meetings to get massages in his office is appropriate behavior from a head coach?

As I said all along, McCarthy is a dinosaur that’s stuck in 2011, which is exactly where anyone that wanted him is also stuck.

mccarthy's reputation as a winning coach preceded him.  everyone wanted the new coach to be able to get this team to win right off and he should have had the experience and competence needed to get the job done.okay, so he wasn't the second coming of the tuna.  i think the only thing that made me second guess his wanting the job is how he was fired so abruptly from the packers.  people need some time to let it all sink in before pursuing other opportunities.  the same can be said of gase except he was only in miami for 3 seasons and is younger and more resilient.  i think the jets made the right choice.

Didn't anyone actually read the article?

This is a scathing piece towards McCarthy, Rodgers and the Green Bay leadership as a whole (not just McCarthy) and how nothing got dealt with. One player even points out that the rumor of McCarthy massages might have come from a disgruntled Rodgers himself. The whole thing reads like a fan-fiction that destroys that supposed wholesome Green Bay image.

This quote sums it up - "If you were going to write a headline," he says, "that would be it right there: How Egos Took Down the Packers." 

Also, McCarthy responded to the massage accustation:

"I wouldn't even know where to start and stop with the article," McCarthy said. "But to say that I skipped a team meeting for a massage is utterly absurd. I have a massage scheduled tomorrow, and I can promise you I will not miss my primary responsibility of picking up my two kids from school."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/former-packers-coach-mike-mccarthy-responds-to-report-that-he-used-to-skip-team-meetings-for-massages/

The article goes on to say he did not deny it and some teammates said it was known, but I find it funny how the original article painted Rodgers as a Diva who surrounded himself with yes-men and was always angry at McCarthy for passing on Rodgers in the draft with Alex Smith. If the report is true, there were a lot of problems there; as well as Rodgers being painted as not being a fan of the LaFleur hire either.

16 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

Per the article, a lot of that was Rodgers audibling away from runs.  But yeah, me too

14 hours ago, rammagen said:

you can get on almost any coach but I read the article and even heard some talk radio show about it adn the hosts had the same opinion Aaron Rodgers is a jerk with no people skills.

Sorry but tell me exactly how this makes McCarthy to be a jerk. When the qb is changing plays you can not rationally blame either the coach or the qb for failed offense because only the team actually knows what happened. they gave Rodgers a big contract so the coach had to go. The real difference will be how they do this yr.

time will tell if Gase is good so far he has allot to prove to allot of fans quickly, McCarthy would have brought the team more time to build a winner. If gase flops fans will turn quick

The below quote really says it all.  Note that McCarthy has denied that he was getting massages, but never denied being absent for final preps.  CRAZY

"About once a week, a meeting would start up and McCarthy was MIA. Players weren't quite sure where he was while, for example, an assistant coach would run the team's final prep on the Saturday before a game. Eventually, word leaked that McCarthy, the one calling plays on game day, was up in his office getting a massage during those meetings."

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Per the article, a lot of that was Rodgers audibling away from runs.  But yeah, me too

The below quote really says it all.  Note that McCarthy has denied that he was getting massages, but never denied being absent for final preps.  CRAZY

"About once a week, a meeting would start up and McCarthy was MIA. Players weren't quite sure where he was while, for example, an assistant coach would run the team's final prep on the Saturday before a game. Eventually, word leaked that McCarthy, the one calling plays on game day, was up in his office getting a massage during those meetings."

Two ZJ fiascos in one offseason. Goodell must be livid.

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn't read the article the OP posted.  I'm just saying I didn't want McCarthy here at all.

and if the article is accurate, you were 100% on-the-money.  As was Manish Mehta.  :eek:

Based on the "visible factors" (SB win, excellent record, developing Rodgers) McCarthy should've been interviewed.
But he was never a definite for the job because of the whispers about the staleness of his offense and staff

I don’t know if all that stuff is true in BR article but the fact that his offense had become stale seems apparent to me.  Gase for whatever his failings were in Miami seems like he is still hungry with fresh ideas. A much better choice for a rebuilding team and a young QB. 

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

I wonder how many people in this thread who didn't want him would line up with their comments before we knew he wasn't going to be the Jets coach

I wanted McCarthy. Bad.  I'm obviously rooting for Gase the be the greatest coach in Jets history, but literally nothing has been done to change anyones opinion yet. Nothing.

And an article saying he missed meetings due to massages doesn't seem like the greatest source for any new opinions. 

This article is way too long. I got through half of it before thinking this is some HS crap. Both contributed to what seems like a toxic situation.

I didn’t want McCarthy. Thought he would be a bad hire for some of the reasons highlighted in the article. The guy failed to adapt. Imagine being a player and hating so much the plays being called that you call your own play in the huddle? Dang. 

I didn’t consider Gase during the interview process. When we hired him, I was like this is so random. Wanted Monken to be honest.  But contrast Gase’s relationship with Manning to McCarthy/Rodgers. Completely different. How do you not create a system that allows Rodgers to be creative? McCarthy comes off hard headed. 

I wanted a coach with experience for a change and ideally with OC experience, there were not many options and MM had a SB win, but after the drama in GB, it's clear MM needed a year off but it's not like the Jets could hire a 1 year option (unless they went with an interim) or gave Todd another year, even if they gave Mac one LOL

The Jets ended up with a coach with experience as HC and OC and right now it seems like the right choice, I am good, if Sam develops so will the team, OL still sucks, let's hope it works out...

I do 

He won a ring and had that QB school thing 

According to reports he was only taking a few select interviews and the jets were finally on a top candidates short list and all because of the shiny young new QB 

I wanted Mccarthy mostly because of the name. 

As the battered jets fan syndrome wears off I'm warming up to gase more and more 

The packers and Mccarthy are in image damage control mode 

This won't be the last we hear about it 

Archived