Rumor: Pats trying to make a deal for Rosen

More Cowbell

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I thought going into last years draft that Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen could all be good QB's in this league. Mayfield and Darnold are further along right now but I think Rosen can be right there with them. It would be a good move for the Pats IMO.

I don't know if the Cardinals are going to be able to get a 1st rounder if the reports are true and everyone believes they are taking Murray 1st overall. They may have to bite the bullet and except a 2nd rounder if they want to move him.

2nd from Pats is a pick away from being a 3rd. No way Rosen’s goes that low regardless of Cards obvious desire to move on unless Cards had already drafted Murray on draft day. At that point, it’s cut your losses time. If I were Cards, I would keep Rosen instead of sending him off for the last pick in the 2nd round. If Rosen has an outstanding preseason, there will always be suitors to take him. For the Pats, I’d take the 1st and give Rosen. Maybe throw in a 5th or 4th rounder if Pats believe Rosen isn’t worth a 1st. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, which is cool, but he’s either gonna have to get very successful or he’s gonna have to put some hair on his chest. I’m not saying he’s a wimp, just that his discussion of his leadership was super Cali-bro. 

But that may be what resonates with his peers.  He’s not leading us on the field.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

But that may be what resonates with his peers.  He’s not leading us on the field.

Eventually he’s going to have to lead on the field. I’ll try to find the audio. Kay is worthless as an interviewer, but Sam’s answers to these questions were pretty open and interesting 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eventually he’s going to have to lead on the field. I’ll try to find the audio. Kay is worthless as an interviewer, but Sam’s answers to these questions were pretty open and interesting 

I don’t think his leadership has been questioned.  And he seemed to have much more of a feel for down/distance/clock management than his HC last year.  

I think what darnold needs is a better supporting cast and that includes coaching.  I really don’t think he’s naturally deficient in the football acumen or leadership department.  He’s just a Cali kid who is outwardly chill but watch him in the bowl game vs penn state and there’s just no questioning his game.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It says to me that they have personal knowledge all great QBs are raw uptight assholes and aren’t afraid of Rosen’s personality, and that his talent is worth the investment. I think regular people are too hung up on Rosen’s likeability. Who cares? Other than Eli, name one good QB who’s not straight douche.

Current? Brees. Prescott seems like a good guy. Sam Allen, and Mahomes seem like nice kids, Goff as well. Foles....chill guy. Trubisky looks like a goofy, friendly kid. Thats all I got. 

I didn't watch Rosen play enough last year to have an opinion of him as a rookie NFL Qb starter. The team obviously had a disastrous season. His value seems to have gone down. So maybe a 2nd round pick is not bad compensation but an NEP 2nd round pick is like a 3rd round pick unless it's another team's selection via a trade. 

7 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

2nd from Pats is a pick away from being a 3rd. No way Rosen’s goes that low regardless of Cards obvious desire to move on unless Cards had already drafted Murray on draft day. At that point, it’s cut your losses time. If I were Cards, I would keep Rosen instead of sending him off for the last pick in the 2nd round. If Rosen has an outstanding preseason, there will always be suitors to take him. For the Pats, I’d take the 1st and give Rosen. Maybe throw in a 5th or 4th rounder if Pats believe Rosen isn’t worth a 1st. 

2nd from the Pats is slightly higher than the Giants 3rd.  

Eventually it might get up to the Pats 1st if the Giants step up to beat it.

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It says to me that they have personal knowledge all great QBs are raw uptight assholes and aren’t afraid of Rosen’s personality, and that his talent is worth the investment. I think regular people are too hung up on Rosen’s likeability. Who cares? Other than Eli, name one good QB who’s not straight douche.

I give two **** about his personality.  The kid is just not a good enough QB physically to play in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

You either got it, want it, or don't.

Brady and Rodgers sat on the bench a couple of years being ignored to start their careers. So did Steve Young. Brett Favre was considered mentally deficient the first few seasons of his career. 

Not everyone is Manning or Marino (who was considered a dick by his teammates) right out of the box.

Sam will be fine. 

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was listening to Darnold on The Kay Show yesterday and they were talking about his leadership style and it was cringeworthy. He’s very, very young and chill, so maybe it wears off as time goes by, but he said he basically subcontracts leadership. “If we’re, you know, having a bad practice and guys aren’t going hard, you know, I’ll ask a guy, ‘hey man, doesn’t it feel like guys aren’t really going hard?’ And, you know, he’ll agree and he’ll tell the other guys to, you know, step it up, so it gets around.” I was like, er ah what. 

21-year-old introvert stops short of yelling at teammates when he's struggling most of the season himself. Sounds concerning. 

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Brady and Rodgers sat on the bench a couple of years being ignored to start their careers. So did Steve Young. Brett Favre was considered mentally deficient the first few seasons of his career. 

Not everyone is Manning or Marino (who was considered a dick by his teammates) right of of the box.

Sam will be fine. 

I'm talking in general. Rosen likes tennis. Not that there is anything wrong with tennis.

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Not everyone is Manning or Marino (who was considered a dick by his teammates) right of of the box.

Sam will be fine. 

I like a cocky/ confident QB, it goes with the territory.

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was listening to Darnold on The Kay Show yesterday and they were talking about his leadership style and it was cringeworthy. He’s very, very young and chill, so maybe it wears off as time goes by, but he said he basically subcontracts leadership. “If we’re, you know, having a bad practice and guys aren’t going hard, you know, I’ll ask a guy, ‘hey man, doesn’t it feel like guys aren’t really going hard?’ And, you know, he’ll agree and he’ll tell the other guys to, you know, step it up, so it gets around.” I was like, er ah what. 

He doesnt take notes in meetings.

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Leading by example is real!  Plus, he has Jamal to do the lip service. You remember Jamal right?

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Copy.  I was referring to the "concern for Darnolds Leadership" trope happening a bit in this thread. 

I can see the confidence in his arm and ball placement, kid has "it", no doubt, but it takes a team hopefully the Jets won't ruin this golden opportunity.

1 minute ago, Apache 51 said:

I like a cocky/ confident QB, it goes with the territory.

Sure, but a cocky guy who hasn't done sh*t yet (Mayfield) is just an ass. I remember Joey Harrington and Matt Leinart bring pretty cocky QBs coming out....

pqoYJhu.gif.edc2c2cfba71abaefb827118b81027ab.gif

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Should also note, for the Rosen haters, that the three teams he’s tied to are all looking to Rosen to replace all-time franchise icon quarterbacks. 

Not sure what the point is here. During the draft process last year, he was regularly being touted as the most NFL-ready of the group. A year later, none of the teams looking for immediate starters are rumored to have interest, instead it's only teams that would sit him on the bench for (at least) the season. Seems to me that he's gone from NFL-ready to a project over the course of one year. 

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think attacking Rosen's personality/likability is easy, and lazy football writers know that people will click on character attacking articles repeatedly. My primary concerns with Rosen last year were his concussion history combined with a lack of mobility, and those concerns remain. 

None of these teams were interested in him last year in the top ten, this year they're (maybe?) trying to get him on the cheap. Not only draft pick-wise, but the Cards would be eating his signing bonus and the team trading for him would be paying a fraction of his contract's total value. The Cardinals complete lack of leverage aside, there doesn't appear to be enough market out there to drive up the price of a guy who was in the #1 overall conversation for a year or more. His personality is probably playing a role, but that's not the whole picture. 

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sure, but a cocky guy who hasn't done sh*t yet (Mayfield) is just an ass. I remember Joey Harrington and Matt Leinart bring pretty cocky QBs coming out....

I think Mayfield will put his money where his mouth is and at the very least be very exciting on the field. I know that doesn't mean SB trophies necessarily but I like good exciting game second to trophies and we have had neither for years.

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, which is cool, but he’s either gonna have to get very successful or he’s gonna have to put some hair on his chest. I’m not saying he’s a wimp, just that his discussion of his leadership was super Cali-bro. 

Whats with all the Darnold attacks this AM?

Wake up on the wrong side of the crypt?

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

ANY QB has to be confident/ cocky. It's when they cross the line to arrogant that bothers me. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

One day, Drew Brees is going to go into the NFL Hall of Fame and, if there is any justice in the world, he’s going to go in as a first ballot selection. Even if Brees didn’t have the kind of career stats that he does, you could argue that his induction is deserved solely based on what he did during his first years as a New Orleans Saint. Brees was sent to the Saints at a time when they were considered to be the laughing stock of the league. Not only did he turn that around, but he also made himself one of the biggest contributors to the rebuilding effort that followed Hurricane Katrina. He has started numerous foundations, regularly makes military tours, and has volunteered more of his time than just about anyone else.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah...but what was his body language like?

I would hate to see Rosen go to NE.

I could see him sitting and learning until Brady's play falls off or he gets hurt.  BB would provide the game plans and protections this guy needs to excel. He has a great arm. He could be Brady 2.0

Lets hope he goes elsewhere.

Archived