should the jets Lock up Leonard Williams ? ? ?

kelly

Yeah I have to agree no big contract, if he has good year and looks great like a stud ok then but get some picks and let someone else pay him. He might be back and perform well but honestly I don't think we should tie up big money unless they are a rock star. At some point we have to start making correct moved. I'm ok with RB, or edge rusher or whatever big money. But do a lineman that underperforms, I rather roll the dice and get a younger stuff that comes out and performs. It would be different if he was a stud pass rusher.

Hell it is so hard to tell because our talent hasn't had good coaching. He could be a rock star but we never know. Have to trust the new coaches and see how he does but you can't lock him up till after he proves it.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

lock him in the weight room

image.thumb.png.89fa7ae8a52c3145d17272342be6017d.png

It’s not that. It’s the rest of him that’s the problem. He’s smaller than Enunwa for God’s sake. He had the perfect frame as a rookie to take the NFL weight training program seriously and really get that extra edge that he needed. He’s been such a disappointment. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I don't think I would. 

Jets fans often complain about a lack of compensatory draft selections.  Letting a guy like Leo Williams walk for a ridiculously inflated contract is how they possibly get a 4th or a 3rd. 

Not if we continue to be active in free agency which I fully expect given the roster deficiencies. Comp picks are extremely important and should be part of our strategy. We just aren’t their yet since we still have many holes to fill and will continue to be active in FA for at least the next year or 2. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

Trade him now. Even if he has a big year this year- does anyone trust him enough to hand over a huge contract to him? 

While I'm not ready to give him a new deal, either, trusting him with the money is the least of my concerns. Leo, by all accounts, is a mature dude and a hard worker. I would not expect him to mail it in once he got paid. Not at all. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

34 minutes ago, slats said:

While I'm not ready to give him a new deal, either, trusting him with the money is the least of my concerns. Leo, by all accounts, is a mature dude and a hard worker. I would not expect him to mail it in once he got paid. Not at all. 

I’m not suggesting he would get lazy. If he goes out and finally has a great year I would just be hesitant to pay him big bucks. 

Im hoping someone offers us a second round pick for him and we do it. 

If they can sign him for a reasonable amount I definitely would.  I wouldn’t give him top dollars though.  Somewhere in the 9 million a year for 5 years with the chance to get out of it in two years without dead money.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

For $7-8M a year it would be a good signing, solid player and a good Jet

simply not worth $14m per year regardless what he does in a contract year

remember the Mo

maybe higher than 8 mill per year but he's definitely not going to get wilkey money.

If the Jets could get a decent price on him sure. The value of good D-lineman is getting higher and higher though so that's going to be more some here are saying. (The mid teens of millions is more like it)

As is I think they'll franchise tag him, it'll really depend on well he does under G. Williams.

21 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

If the Jets could get a decent price on him sure. The value of good D-lineman is getting higher and higher though so that's going to be more some here are saying. (The mid teens of millions is more like it)

As is I think they'll franchise tag him, it'll really depend on well he does under G. Williams.

Draft Quinnen and trade Leo for picks

• Sympathy 1

Extending him now would really bother me.  First of all he, didn't even live up to the money he was paid on his rookie deal, considering his draft position and his  "production".  Now we're going to reward his mediocrity, to keep him off the open market, on the off chance he finally plays up to his so called status and expectations. 

The Jets will probably get burned on this deal anyway, seeing that I predict that Williams {Coach} will probably get a lot out of this underachiever this year.  Paying him now, however, just doesn't seem deserved or fair. The window on trading him is closed, in my opinion, so the only option is to wait.

• Upvote 3