should the jets Lock up Leonard Williams ? ? ?

kelly

• 4 weeks later...

The Jets have a decision to make with defensive end Leonard Williams, but his former coach wanted to resolve the issue years ago.

According to ESPN’s Rich Cimini, former Jets head coach Todd Bowles pushed for Mike Maccagnan to extend Williams for the last two years of his tenure. Now, there are rumors that Adam Gase might want to move on from Williams now that Maccagnan and Bowles are gone.Williams is entering the final year of his contract and is set to make $14.2 million. The Jets have a few options with Williams. They could franchise tag him for next season, but his cap hit would be about $18 million. They could give him a huge contract extension, but his play on the field hasn’t warranted a big payday. Lastly, Williams could walk as an unrestricted free agent next offseason and the Jets would receive a compensatory draft pick or the Jets could franchise tag him and trade him.

The Jets have a ton of money invested in their defensive line with the re-signing of Henry Anderson and the draft pick of Quinnen Williams. So, Williams could be the odd man out.The 24-year-old defensive lineman was Maccagnan’s first draft pick back in 2015 out of USC. With the way the organization is heading under Gase, it seems as if he’s trying to get rid of anything that Maccagnan had his hands on. Gase already dealt Maccagnan’s second first round draft pick, Darron Lee.Williams had high expectations when he came into the league, but he hasn’t lived up to them. The first two seasons of his career were strong when he had over 60 tackles in both seasons and had a combined 10 sacks. But his numbers have dipped in recent years, as he’s been in the 40 tackle range and only has seven sacks over the last two seasons.

There have been no issues with Williams and Gase as of yet, but with the way the defensive line is looking it wouldn’t be a surprise if Williams isn’t in Green and White next season.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/20/todd-bowles-pushed-for-leonard-williams-extenson-jets/

Q is on a cost controlled contract for the next 4 years. I would sign Leo. If we ever need cap space, we can always cut Henry whose contract we can get out of after this year with little impact.

In terms of contract, something like 4 or 5 years for $13 to $14 per. Something similar to what Sheldon Richardson got but just a little longer and little bit more on a per year basis. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Q is on a cost controlled contract for the next 4 years. I would sign Leo. If we ever need cap space, we can always cut Henry whose contract we can get out of after this year with little impact.

In terms of contract, something like 4 or 5 years for $13 to $14 per. Something similar to what Sheldon Richardson got but just a little longer and little bit more on a per year basis. 

..i hope we reUP him.. but, there's a NEW sheriff in town so... we'll see     :unsure:

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

• 2 weeks later...

We don’t yet know who the Jets’ new general manager will be. But we do know that the next man in that chair will have an immediate decision to make about Leonard Williams’ future.The former first-round pick is about to play 2019 on a fifth-year option, meaning he’ll be an unrestricted free agent at year’s end. So, if the Jets would like to avoid having him hit the open market, they may have to start working on a deal soon to lock him up.And so long as the Jets want him back, Williams sure sounds like a guy who would like to stick around.

“I got drafted here, I’ve been here for a while, I’m one of the vets on the team now even though I’m still young,” Williams said. "I get comfortable to where I’m at, you know what I mean. I definitely would want to stay here. I feel like I’m a loyal type of player. I never thought about transferring when I was in high school or college and it’s kind of the same now. I would want to stay on the team if I had the opportunity to.”That said, Williams brushed off the urgency of getting a deal done before Week 1, saying that he hasn’t thought about his contract situation at all of late; instead, he’s been focusing on learning the Jets’ new defense and meeting coaches’ expectations.

“I try not to think about that stuff and let my play do that because at the end of the day, that’s what’s going to get my contract – my play on the field," Williams said.And for what it’s worth, Williams envisions that the Jets’ defensive scheme could bring out the best in him at the perfect time. New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is known for his aggressive, downhill style, which could help the 24-year-old pile up some of the stats he’s missed out on in recent seasons.

“He’s trying to make it more simple for us so we can fly around without thinking," Leonard Williams said. "I think that’s a big key to this defense is just thinking minimal and just being able to attack and play fast.”In other words, if the Jets don’t extend Leonard Williams, the value of that next contract could balloon upward, if all goes according to plan this season.That means the new GM will have to make a big call quite soon: Extend Leonard Williams now – not knowing how he’ll fare under the new coaching staff – or let things play out, which risks an inflated price tag or losing him altogether.

Of course, there’s always the chance that Leonard Williams just isn’t in the Jets’ long-term plans now that Quinnen Williams is in the fold. But if Gregg Williams and the rest of the staff decide they want to keep that duo together, then decision time could be coming up quickly.

>      https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/05/new-gms-1st-major-decision-should-jets-extend-leonard-williams-contract.html

On 4/6/2019 at 11:56 AM, Larz said:

Not now no way 

He's come to camp out of shape twice by his own admission make him earn it 

That is what many should be weary of. He comes to camp in shape and has his motor running high this yr, but just like many D tackles, just in his contract yr ?

Keep your good players. We all know you cannot rely on Free Agency to get the players you want and you cannot rely on the draft. This notion that Leo can be replaced with a 3rd or 2nd round draft pick or that we can sign someone much cheaper than what his contract will cost as a replacement is preposterous. 

I don't care if he gets 10 sacks or zero sacks this year. At the very least he's a good player and at best he can be dominant (not his ceiling- but in actual games he has already shown he can be dominant). I personally like Leo (as a player) a lot and I think he is one of a handful of guys on this team you should hold on to. He is certainly less 'expendable' than any other player on the D-line (apart from QW). That includes H.Anderson- IMO (despite his breakout year). 

Remember- Leo has NEVER missed a game, has always been a positive locker room influence, has never been suspended for anything or had any off-field issues, and he is still only 24 years old.       

Let him play this year.  If he doesn't do great then let him walk and hope the Jets get a Compensatory draft pick.

If he does do well then there are two options:  1) Try to extend him or 2) Franchise tag him and try to either push him into a longterm deal or trade him.

The other thing the Jets have going for them will be a basis of comparison with Quinnen Williams.  It will be interesting to see the production each of these guys get when the other isn't on the field.

• 2 weeks later...

For years, New Orleans Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan has been one of the most dominant defensive linemen in football. On Tuesday, the team that drafted him awarded him for his production on the field with a lucrative three-year, $52.5 million contract extension with $42 million in guaranteed money.

Could this impact Leonard Williams’ contract negotiations with the Jets ?   In short, the answer should be no.

Williams is set to be a free agent for the first time in his young career next offseason. As a soon-to-be 25-year-old defensive lineman entering his prime, Williams is in a position to make good money on the open market even though he had a disappointing 2018 campaign.Jordan and Williams are not exactly comparable, which makes it hard to believe that the four-time Pro Bowler’s contract would have any impact on Williams’ contract negotiations. Jordan is 30 and this is his second contract, while Williams is just getting off his rookie deal. Jordan is also a proven contributor (71.5 career sacks), while Williams is still trying to find consistency on the field. In four seasons, Williams has only recorded 17 sacks and 85 quarterback hits. Those numbers don’t exactly scream for a payday.

There’s also the Joe Douglas factor.

The Jets’ new general manager did not draft Williams and if he does not like what he sees out of the USC product this upcoming season, he’ll have no inclination to ink him to an extension. The 2019 season is a prove-it year for Williams and if he fails to impress, Douglas could use New York’s franchise tag on him and/or trade him to ensure the team gets something in return. If the Jets can’t find a trade partner, the worst case scenario becomes Williams having another year to turn it around and prove himself, which isn’t necessarily a bad situation for either side.The hope is that Williams turns it around in 2019 and earns himself a hefty extension. Douglas values strong play in the trenches and the Jets are a much better team with Williams dominating up front. If not, Douglas shouldn’t have much of an issue moving on from a player who has failed to live up to the sky-high expectations that followed him into the NFL.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/13/leonard-williams-jets-contract-extension-cameron-jordan-saints/

Let's trade one of our better players for a draft pick in the hopes that dude becomes one of our better players years from now.  

We don't have to pay him now--don't understand the urgency.

A draft pick isn't going to help us this year and we're not trading him for a top CB so let's wait it out.  

• Upvote 2

According to ESPN’s Rich Cimini, former Jets head coach Todd Bowles pushed for Mike Maccagnan to extend Williams for the last two years of his tenure. 

I think this is total BS (another stinker from Cimini), more like bowles ruined any chance for Leo to be successful with the Jets (maybe the NFL) with terrible coaching and no accountability during Leo's short career in the league

Anderson outworked Leo last year (strike 1) then Mac gave Anderson a sizable contract (strike 2), then Mac further screwed the Jets and Leo when he made the QW pick at #3 (strike 3)

Sad, because I like Leo and Cimini makes it seem like Gase is to blame for Leo's situation, it's laughable considering he covers the team and watched it all unfold 

I would be happy if Leo would take a hometown discount and stay with the Jets but his agent won't let that happen.  The best we can hope for now is a dominant season (maybe mid-year trade?) and then Leo is gone next year

In one year, Gase (and Greg Williams) will help Leo more than anyone in his NFL career and it will not be close - that should be the focus of the article, no reason to pretend that bowles fought to get him extended, even if true he failed in every way possible, no point to make that reference (get a job Cimini)

It really all depends on this season? Williams, although he's a solid player, is not even close to what everyone thought they were getting. He needs to produce in a big way this season. He's never had as much of a supporting cast as he'll have this season. If his numbers don't increase this season, they never will. 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, jgb said:

This year we will know what he is. We paid for it let it play out. Franchise him if he explodes.

agreed !.. with our #1 pick in this year's draft... i'm hoping L.williams is NOT double-teamed as much  ;)

On 6/13/2019 at 1:28 PM, Losmeister said:

i get the feeling we'll tr to trade him at some point

I think it’s too late.  Macc refuses to admit his first ever draft pick didn’t work out now we are stuck with him and can’t get any draft picks

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

What did the Steelers lock up Tuitt for???  60 mil?  Tuitt and Leo are basically the same exact player.

I'd do that with Leo but if he wants more...hell to the no.

5 for $60m. i think that is about right, but that Leo will get more than the $13M in guarantees that Tuitt got.  

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

5 for $60m. i think that is about right, but that Leo will get more than the $13M in guarantees that Tuitt got.  

And I think I'm fine with that too.  Sure, Leo hasnt been 6th overall worthy but he's still a damn good player and I'm very curious to see what he does with Bowles/Rodgers out of the picture.   

On 6/13/2019 at 2:42 PM, Peace Frog said:

Let's trade one of our better players for a draft pick in the hopes that dude becomes one of our better players years from now.  

We don't have to pay him now--don't understand the urgency.

A draft pick isn't going to help us this year and we're not trading him for a top CB so let's wait it out.   

Ideally he improves his stock early in the season so we can move him at the trade deadline. 

Better than letting him walk after the season for maybe a 2021 compensatory pick. 

Or even worse:  Giving him a pricey extension at a position where we have far too many bodies. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ideally he improves his stock early in the season so we can move him at the trade deadline. 

Better than letting him walk after the season for maybe a 2021 compensatory pick. 

Or even worse:  Giving him a pricey extension at a position where we have far too many bodies. 

I would be a little surprised if Leo gets moved early this season. Joe Douglas seems like he wants to create a culture where you reward your own if the player does well. I know Joe did not draft Williams, but he is a for sure leader in our locker room and a pretty stand up guy from what it looks like on the outside.

I do not agree with some of the fans on here where there is nothing he can do to win over a big contract. He made the pro bowl in 2016 when surrounded by talent. The last couple years he hasn't had that luxury. If he can get back to the pro bowl this year, 2 pro bowl appearances in 4 years is good enough to take a shot on a player.

I couldn't agree more with the maybe on the comp pick, we will be very active in free agency, no comp picks for the Jets yet. 

I think the crowded position in the DLINE room only has a bigger affect if our edge rushers don't work out. If Jachai Polite can show he is 1st round talent, Jordan Jenkins raise his sack total from 7, and Copeland and Anderson reenact there 2018 year, then spending big on Leo shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

If the linebackers don't show up and next year we need to find 2 edge rushers not 1, then we probably can't afford to overspend on DL.

16 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

I would be a little surprised if Leo gets moved early this season. Joe Douglas seems like he wants to create a culture where you reward your own if the player does well. I know Joe did not draft Williams, but he is a for sure leader in our locker room and a pretty stand up guy from what it looks like on the outside.

I do not agree with some of the fans on here where there is nothing he can do to win over a big contract. He made the pro bowl in 2016 when surrounded by talent. The last couple years he hasn't had that luxury. If he can get back to the pro bowl this year, 2 pro bowl appearances in 4 years is good enough to take a shot on a player. 

I couldn't agree more with the maybe on the comp pick, we will be very active in free agency, no comp picks for the Jets yet.  

I think the crowded position in the DLINE room only has a bigger affect if our edge rushers don't work out. If Jachai Polite can show he is 1st round talent, Jordan Jenkins raise his sack total from 7, and Copeland and Anderson reenact there 2018 year, then spending big on Leo shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

If the linebackers don't show up and next year we need to find 2 edge rushers not 1, then we probably can't afford to overspend on DL.

The bottom line is we have 3 viable DT's we like:  Quinnen Williams, Henry Anderson and Leonard Williams.  Plus bench guys Fatukaski and Nathan Shepherd.  No matter what anyone says about Gregg Williams' flexible scheming and rotations, we only need to be paying 2 starters at DT.  Leonard is the obvious odd man out, since Anderson's contract dictates he'll be here at least thru the 2020 season. 

So it makes no sense to pay Leonard.  It also makes little sense to let him walk for nothing, since as you say, we'll be active in free agency and can't count on a 2021 compensatory pick. 

A trade is the best option.  And a trade can only happen between now and the 2019 trade deadline (Week 8).

The other option would be a tag & trade after the season, but that's risky.