should the jets Lock up Leonard Williams ? ? ?

kelly

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Sheldon just got $13 million per year. Even if Leo has his normal 5-6 sack season he's going to command at least $13 million/year in free agency. If he ends up with double digits sacks he's likely going to get $16-$18 million per year on the open market. It makes no sense to keep him on the roster this year. Move him for a pick and get it over with. 

Sheldon played for $5m last year on a prove it deal, would Leo risk $8m in hopes of more?

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Sheldon played for $5m last year on a prove it deal, would Leo risk $8m in hopes of more?

The Jets will either franchise him or he gets between $14-$17 million in free agency depending on his year next year. No way he takes less than that unless he has is awful or injured next year

• Upvote 3

On 4/7/2019 at 1:40 AM, choon328 said:

The Jets will either franchise him or he gets between $14-$17 million in free agency depending on his year next year. No way he takes less than that unless he has is awful or injured next year

You see that’s edge rusher money. He’s just a run suffer. Next season is make or break. Is it him, or was it the POS D ran by Todd’s best buddy Kacey Rogers? No excuses in Greg Williams scheme.

58 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

You see that’s edge rusher money. He’s just a run suffer. Next season is make or break. Is it him, or was it the POS D ran by Todd’s best buddy Kacey Rogers? No excuses in Greg Williams scheme.

I hope he stays a Jet, I really do like Leo but we can always tag him if we want to, I'd rather see him perform in this defense than hand him a big contract too early. It really depend on how much he's asking for.

Huge disappointment. I believe his very first time on the field was against the Falcons in a pre-season game and I think he got a sack, even one for safety, if I’m recalling correctly. I instantly thought we had a monster. He just always seems to be on cruise control. 

• Upvote 1

We are going to know the long term future of Williams very early in the season.  Because with
him playing in an attacking Gregg Williams defense and a pass rusher opposite him (Bosa, Allen
or Williams) there will be no more excuses.  If he's not making impact plays and generating
"stats" in the first quarter of the season you know he's not going to be re-signed

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Time to lock him up was a year ago via extension, when his base salary for the year was just $3MM.

The only reason to not do that was if they were going to trade him in the 2019 offseason, and it's clear they aren't. They're waiting out the year and extending him no matter what - even if 2019 isn't his best season to date - and then we'll see all waiting did was ensure that we lock him in after 2 years of inflation kicks in. 

I don't get this FO's obsession with always waiting until someone has a career year and then extending him based on that career-best season being his new baseline production going forward.

Spoiler alert for 1 year from now: they're extending Leo a year at $18-20MM/year (and Robbie Anderson at $14MM per, as well as a decent chance of also extending Shell at about $10MM per as well. Maybe Jenkins as well. And/or maybe Beachum, if they don't find a LT prospect in this year's draft, or if he doesn't really impress as a rookie). 

When was the last time the Jets extended any player before the last game of his prior contract? Last one I can think of was Kerley in 2014, which was purely Idzik was in job-protection mode, trying to cover up for (then) whiffing in the big WR draft, so he did this extension and traded for Harvin midseason. I think Kerley's the most recent one. The others (Winters, Enunwa, Mo, Fitz, Powell, H.Anderson, etc.) all came after their injury risks were over and could then go to the highest bidder.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Time to lock him up was a year ago via extension, when his base salary for the year was just $3MM.

The only reason to not do that was if they were going to trade him in the 2019 offseason, and it's clear they aren't. They're waiting out the year and extending him no matter what - even if 2019 isn't his best season to date - and then we'll see all waiting did was ensure that we lock him in after 2 years of inflation kicks in. 

I don't get this FO's obsession with always waiting until someone has a career year and then extending him based on that career-best season being his new baseline production going forward.

Spoiler alert for 1 year from now: they're extending Leo a year at $18-20MM/year (and Robbie Anderson at $14MM per, as well as a decent chance of also extending Shell at about $10MM per as well. Maybe Jenkins as well. And/or maybe Beachum, if they don't find a LT prospect in this year's draft, or if he doesn't really impress as a rookie). 

When was the last time the Jets extended any player before the last game of his prior contract? Last one I can think of was Kerley in 2014, which was purely Idzik was in job-protection mode, trying to cover up for (then) whiffing in the big WR draft, so he did this extension and traded for Harvin midseason. I think Kerley's the most recent one. The others (Winters, Enunwa, Mo, Fitz, Powell, H.Anderson, etc.) all came after their injury risks were over and could then go to the highest bidder.

Jetzee

On 4/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, RoadFan said:

I don't think I would. 

Jets fans often complain about a lack of compensatory draft selections.  Letting a guy like Leo Williams walk for a ridiculously inflated contract is how they possibly get a 4th or a 3rd. 

New England does this all the time. This year they have 12 draft picks. Doesn't seem to hurt their on field performance.

On 4/6/2019 at 3:44 PM, slats said:

While I'm not ready to give him a new deal, either, trusting him with the money is the least of my concerns. Leo, by all accounts, is a mature dude and a hard worker. I would not expect him to mail it in once he got paid. Not at all. 

My gut tells me you are right. Seems like a dude who's not in it just for the money.

Leonard Williams stats

Career stats

Year
Team
COMB
AST
Sack
INT
YDS
TD

Career

I say they should get whatever they can for LW. I don't see how you pay him 14 million a year  for these underachieving stats. He is averaging under 5 sacks a year and his tackles have gone down the last two years. Take a 3rd rounder for him and save the headache later. I don't see how anyone can say that he is all of a sudden going to turn into a stud, I do think he will play better with the new coaches, but not good enough to warrant big money.

• Upvote 1

On 4/6/2019 at 12:23 PM, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

For $7-8M a year it would be a good signing, solid player and a good Jet

simply not worth $14m per year regardless what he does in a contract year

remember the Mo

You're off by about 100%, in that $7-8M per is about half what he'll get as a 25 year-old UFA next year. Maybe/probably less than half. 

Speaking of Mo, Leo would have to have a sudden Mo Williams level regression to have to accept a $7-8M/yr offer. 

I don't think he's worth the contract he's going to get next year any more than you do, but the numbers you outlined have zero chance. Even a $12MM/year extension has zero chance. The Jets will FT him if he doesn't agree to their first offer before March, and that'll be the baseline number for more extension talks; honestly not unlike how they handled Mo. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're off by about 100%, in that $7-8M per is about half what he'll get as a 25 year-old UFA next year. Maybe/probably less than half. 

Speaking of Mo, Leo would have to have a sudden Mo Williams level regression to have to accept a $7-8M/yr offer. 

I don't think he's worth the contract he's going to get next year any more than you do, but the numbers you outlined have zero chance. Even a $12MM/year extension has zero chance. The Jets will FT him if he doesn't agree to their first offer before March, and that'll be the baseline number for more extension talks; honestly not unlike how they handled Mo. 

Wow, if that's the case then they are probably better off trading him (and that is not my preference), just don't see that kind of value compared to McLendon, Anderson, etc...

oh well, guess it's not our money and considering what they paid CJ it's not a scale, just highest bidder...  crazy 

12 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Wow, if that's the case then they are probably better off trading him (and that is not my preference), just don't see that kind of value compared to McLendon, Anderson, etc...

oh well, guess it's not our money and considering what they paid CJ it's not a scale, just highest bidder...  crazy 

Here's how it'll go down:

Leo will have a bounce-back season (though it may or may not be his best yet). His FT number is way up there, so for the Jets to lock him up they'll make an offer higher than anyone else is expected to match, which will keep Leo from shopping himself around. The number will be in the very high teens - perhaps as high as $20M - and fans will celebrate this super-smart move of locking up our own. Other option is he'll get FT'd and it'll go down just like Mo's extension did. 

Same will happen with Anderson. Another year experience, plus a little better protection and no snap-adventures, will make Darnold a better QB than he was as a rookie. Anderson will be a prime beneficiary of this, as their timing was way off at times (particularly early-on). Would be unsurprising to see him eclipse 1000 yards (maybe even 1200) and 8-10 TDs. That will put his value squarely in $14M/year range, and maybe more.

It's a pattern with this FO.

On 4/6/2019 at 7:42 PM, WayneChrebet80 said:

Until Williams shows a pass rush element to his game he’s not going to get a big contract. 

It’s a contract year for Leo he’s going to be good next season and ofcourse Macc will overpay like a drunken sailor at fleet week for him and we will be stuck with the Wilkerson Fiasco 2.0

Draft Quinnen.  Get a second round pick for Leo

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

It’s a contract year for Leo he’s going to be good next season and ofcourse Macc will overpay like a drunken sailor at fleet week for him and we will be stuck with the Wilkerson Fiasco 2.0

Draft Quinnen.  Get a second round pick for Leo

..well, how 'bout one 2nd rounder & one 1st rounder  ?   8::

On 4/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, Eaton Beaver said:

Leonard Williams stats

Career stats

Year
Team
COMB
AST
Sack
INT
YDS
TD

Career

I say they should get whatever they can for LW. I don't see how you pay him 14 million a year  for these underachieving stats. He is averaging under 5 sacks a year and his tackles have gone down the last two years. Take a 3rd rounder for him and save the headache later. I don't see how anyone can say that he is all of a sudden going to turn into a stud, I do think he will play better with the new coaches, but not good enough to warrant big money.

Couldnt agree more and it is quote possible we could get a 2nd.

• 3 weeks later...

Rich Cimini   ESPN Staff Writer 

GM Mike Maccagnan said he talked to teams before the draft and on the clock about potential trades, but "there was never an offer we felt good enough to move back for." They talked to the Raiders (4) and Bills (9), but decided to stand pat and take DT Quinnen Williams. This will raise questions about the future of DL Leonard Williams, who is in the final year of his contract. Maccagnan said, "We like Leonard quite a bit. We actually like the idea of putting all those guys together on the field at the same time."

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The Jets bolstered their defense on Thursday night by taking Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Willams in the first round of the NFL Draft. Here are some thoughts and observations on that pick and what is coming up Friday night for the Jets :

1. One of the hardest parts of covering the draft is trying to learn as much as you can about the prospects. When you are covering an NFL team in the fall, it is hard to watch a ton of college football (especially if you enjoy being married). So, you usually rely on what people tell you and the reports of the draft experts out there.But I can remember watching an Alabama game last fall and saying to myself, “who the heck is No. 92?” I actually texted a scout to ask that question because Quinnen Williams was so dominant that he jumped out at you.

This was an easy choice for the Jets. Williams was too good to pass up at three. He can be a dominant force in the middle of the Jets defense, just like he was for the Crimson Tide.When trying to predict what the Jets will do, I try to think like the general manager. One thing I have learned about Mike Maccagnan is he tries to reduce the risk with his decisions. Williams was the least risky pick in the first round. Even Nick Bosa, who some believe is a better player, comes with more risk because of his injury history. It is hard to find flaws or question marks with Williams. Being only a one-year starter can be seen as one, but it also can be seen as a positive because the 21-year-old has not even come close to reaching his potential.

2. Maccagnan got a question in his press conference Thursday night about possibly trading Leonard Williams now that they have Quinnen. I can’t see that. If anything, I believe this should greatly benefit Leonard. Many times over the last few years, he has been the focus of the opponent’s game plan. One offensive coordinator who faced the Jets last season told me they preached “get four hands on 92” meaning they wanted to double team him constantly.

Having Quinnen play next to him should create some more one-on-one matchups for Leonard and he could be in line for a big year. That would be huge for Leonard, who is in the last year of his rookie contract.

3. One thing we have to see when the season comes is how the Jets will deploy their defensive linemen. They now have Quinnen and Leonard Williams, Henry Anderson, Steve McLendon and Nathan Shepherd along the line.The Jets plan on operating out of a 3-4 base defense, but a Jets source warned me months ago not to get too caught up in 3-4 vs. 4-3. New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ message to the scouting staff and front office has been to just find good football players and he will make the scheme work. Teams are in sub-packages (five defensive backs or more) around 70% of the time now anyway.Now, it’s up to Gregg Williams to figure out the best way to use this defensive line talent. In 2015, the Jets struggled sometimes to get Leonard Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson and Damon Harrison on the field at the same time. It led to Richardson playing out of position at outside linebacker too much.I don’t think this will be as much of a challenge. Gregg Williams prides himself on having more than 40 different defensive looks. He’ll find one to maximize this group’s skillset.

4. I think the Jets’ desire to trade out of No. 3 got a little overstated. Make no mistake: they were shopping the pick. But I think by Thursday afternoon, the Jets were content to sit tight at No. 3 unless someone blew them away with an offer. That never came and the Jets were thrilled to take Williams.

5. The funny thing about the draft is we spend months focused on the first round, but teams often do their best work on Day 2 of the draft. You can find some really good players in the second and third rounds. The Colts landed Darius Leonard in the second round last year and he won Defensive Rookie of the Year.The Jets do not have any second-round picks, but they have two in the third round. Maccagnan said they are open to trading up into the second round if there is a player they really like there, but I don’t see it happening. The Jets only have five more picks at the moment. I don’t see Maccagnan wanting to reduce that number. If anything, he’ll be looking to add picks in the next two days.

Here are the best available players at the areas the Jets need to fill :

Center – Erik McCoy, Elgton Jenkins, Lamont Gaillard, Connor McGovern (also can play guard)

Outside linebacker – Ben Banogu, D’Andre Walker and Bobby Okereke

Cornerback – Byron Murphy, Greedy Williams, Rock Ya-Sin, Joejuan Williams, Justin Layne.

>    https://nypost.com/2019/04/26/what-drafting-quinnen-williams-means-for-leonard-williams-jets-future/