kelly

should the jets Lock up Leonard Williams ? ? ?

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The bottom line is we have 3 viable DT's we like:  Quinnen Williams, Henry Anderson and Leonard Williams.  Plus bench guys Fatukaski and Nathan Shepherd.  No matter what anyone says about Gregg Williams' scheming, we only need to be paying 2 starters at DT.  Leonard is the obvious odd man out, since Anderson's contract dictates he'll be here at least thru the 2020 season. 

So it makes no sense to pay Leonard.  It also makes little sense to let him walk for nothing.  A trade is the best option. 

Well I mean not really. That would make sense if we had 3 big nose tackles. That is not the case.

We have 3 players who can play almost every position on the DL. Which is super valuable. We can move big Q and LEO inside and outside in both 3-4 and 4-3 sets. That is pretty interesting if you have a coach who can actually scheme. Reminds me of how Rex used to use Sheldon, at one point he was playing outside linebacker chasing running backs side line to sideline. 

I agree it is not ideal, I would rather have an edge rusher or corner that to pay, but if Leo balls this year that would be huge for our defense. 

8 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Well I mean not really. That would make sense if we had 3 big nose tackles. That is not the case.

We have 3 players who can play almost every position on the DL. Which is super valuable. We can move big Q and LEO inside and outside in both 3-4 and 4-3 sets. That is pretty interesting if you have a coach who can actually scheme. Reminds me of how Rex used to use Sheldon, at one point he was playing outside linebacker chasing running backs side line to sideline. 

I agree it is not ideal, I would rather have an edge rusher or corner that to pay, but if Leo balls this year that would be huge for our defense. 

None of them are pass-rushing DE's in a 4-3, and all three are best utilized as 3-4 DE's.  So this is a moot point.  We only need 2 expensive guys with semi-redundant skillsets who aren't best known as pass rushers, not 3.

The money we'd be devoting to Leo in an extension would be far better utilized on any of these positions: OL, CB, EDGE, and WR.  Keeping Leo would be luxury spending when considering our many needs at premium positions.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

And I think I'm fine with that too.  Sure, Leo hasnt been 6th overall worthy but he's still a damn good player and I'm very curious to see what he does with Bowles/Rodgers out of the picture.   

I would actually be very much in favor of it and maybe a bit more, if we didn't just drop #3 overall and a decent chunk of money on Henry Anderson. 

The Jets need to keep one eye on the cap (Darnold). I say wait to see what Leo does, Franchise him if you have too?

Personally I'm sick of the Jets throwing 18 mill per contracts at run stuffing DL who lead  PFF in almost Sacks.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Yeah, the three guys are not the same guys.

Look, if Leo explodes this year under Williams, pay him. Or franchise him.

If he doesn't, let him walk.  I know it's been pointed out many times but we're not getting any comp picks next year with our cap space. 

Nothing we get for him now will help us in 2019 and trading one of our good players in the hopes we can draft a good player next year is not smart.   

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Nothing we get for him now will help us in 2019 and trading one of our good players in the hopes we can draft a good player next year is not smart.    

The goal isn't to help us in 2019, its for the future.  And adding draft picks with the hopes that you draft good players is smart whenever you can do it effectively.  I know we're still suffering PTSD from the Macc era and thus doubt draft picks are ever all that valuable, but they are.  Especially when you're talking about a new regime.  Giving him as many picks as possible to work with is smart.  That's how we get better as a franchise. 

I'm not advocating trading anybody, but a player at a very expendable position, who we're set to lose for nothing if we don't move him?  Sure, I like that plan, provided we can get something decent back for him.

Even a 3rd or 4th rounder for Leo would be helpful next year, because that's the range where you find "pipeline" offensive linemen.  Considering we have to replace between 2-5 spots on the Offensive Line by 2021, its important to have a lot of picks in that round 2-5 range. 

And I'll reiterate:  An extension really isn't in the cards, even if Leo plays great (and I do expect him to play well this year).  This regime didn't draft Leonard Williams, and I imagine they'll understand the opportunity cost of  letting him go and using that money elsewhere vs. locking up quite a bit of cap dollars on three interior DL. 

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The goal isn't to help us in 2019, its for the future.  And adding draft picks with the hopes that you draft good players is smart whenever you can do it effectively.  I know we're still suffering PTSD from the Macc era and thus doubt draft picks are ever all that valuable, but they are.  Especially when you're talking about a new regime.  Giving him as many picks as possible to work with is smart.  That's how we get better as a franchise. 

I'm not advocating trading anybody, but a player at a very expendable position, who we're set to lose for nothing if we don't move him?  Sure, I like that plan, provided we can get something decent back for him.

Even a 3rd or 4th rounder for Leo would be helpful next year, because that's the range where you find "pipeline" offensive linemen.  Considering we have to replace between 2-5 spots on the Offensive Line by 2021, its important to have a lot of picks in that round 2-5 range. 

And I'll reiterate:  An extension really isn't in the cards, even if Leo plays great (and I do expect him to play well this year).  This regime didn't draft Leonard Williams, and I imagine they'll understand the opportunity cost of  letting him go and using that money elsewhere vs. locking up quite a bit of cap dollars on three interior DL. 

I don't think anyone here knows what's in the cards or what this regime thinks of Leo.

Greg Williams may unleash All Pro potential.

Or maybe he's just a jag.

I'd prefer to wait and see because I have faith that Douglas will draft well with the picks we have and won't necessarily need an extra 3rd or 4th (the ultimate vision of hope).

I want to compete for the playoffs in 2019 and Leo gives us a better chance than a chit in the pocket.  

• Upvote 1

I just do not believe in giving that big money 2nd contract to DT’s. They’re rarely worth it. Draft them, use them up young, trade, repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I just do not believe in giving that big money 2nd contract to DT’s. They’re rarely worth it. Draft them, use them up young, trade, repeat.

Well, we have certainly mastered the drafting DTs part.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well, we have certainly mastered the drafting DTs part.

true.. but, there's a " New Sheriff "  in-town so... we'll see how it goes...

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Have we? Which one of the dts that we have drafted has been a game changer?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

None to date    :-(

p.s. if i may,.. i'm hoping QuinnenWilliams  starts a  " New Trend "    ;)

On 6/19/2019 at 4:30 PM, Snell41 said:

Hopefully some team gets desperate for D-line help in August due to an injury and offers us a future second for Leo

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Hopefully some team gets desperate for D-line help in August due to an injury and offers us a future second for Leo

..ok, if we can get a 2nd and hopefully " something " else... we should consider makin'  THAT deal    B)

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

On 4/6/2019 at 4:58 PM, Losmeister said:

lock him in the weight room

image.thumb.png.89fa7ae8a52c3145d17272342be6017d.png

This thread needs to be bumped for this post alone 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:23 PM, jgb said:

This thread needs to be bumped for this post alone 

shhhh !