JetNation Prospect Preview: Texas A&M TE Jace Sternberger

JetNation

8665787.jpg

After plugging holes through free agency and a trade that netted All-Pro left guard Kelechi Osmele, the Jets will look to round out their 53-man roster in a few weeks when they head to Tennessee for the NFL draft.  One position that the Jets could have in their crosshairs is tight end where the team is set with their starter in Chris Herndon, but little else in terms of proven commodities behind him.

When asked where he saw the most depth in this class when meeting with the media in Indianapolis, Jets GM Mike Maccagnan pointed to tight end as a group that stood out to the organization.  With that in mind, might the Jets try to snag another tight end if a good one falls to the middle rounds?  If so, one candidate should be Texas A&M product Jace Sternberger.

Name: Jace Sternberger

Position: Tight End

School: Texas A&M

Ht/Wt: 6′ 4” 251

2018 Stats:

G Rec Yds Avg TD
13 48 832 17.3 10

Combine Results:

40 Bench Vert Broad  3-cone 20 yd shuttle 60 yd shuttle
4.75 17 31.5” 113” 7.19 4.31 12.09

Positives:

Sternberger has shown excellent hands at times and is a tough runner to bring down after the catch as defenses routinely needed more than one defender to bring him down.  Sternberger also does a nice job of pulling the ball down with a defender oh his hip, or as is the case below, with one pulling on his jersey.  Offers versatility as a player who has been used as a TE, out of the slot and as an H-back.  Could contribute immediately as a red zone target.

@Aggiefootball TE Jace Sternberger came up on @JetNationRadio this week as a player who seems to have the experts torn. Have seen him mocked as early as round 2 and as late as round six. Makes the TD grab here despite defender tugging on jersey as he turns to locate the ball. pic.twitter.com/AkBQMDTvJv

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) April 7, 2019

Negatives:

Not as strong as you’d like as a blocker when lined up tight to the formation.  Speed will limit number of big plays in the passing game.

Scheme fit:

Given the fact that Sternberger can line up and hold his own in multiple spots, Adam Gase would surely be able to find a way to get Sternberger contributing to some degree on offense with the long-term potential of being an every down tight end.

Current Projection:

Sternberger has reportedly caught the attention of the Packers, Vikings, Lions, Cowboys and Patriots.  Matt Miller of Bleacher Report has him going in round five, whereas Pro Football Focus has him being targeted by the New England Patriots in round 1.  USA Today draftwire lands somewhere in the middle with Sternberger going 69th to the Jacksonville Jaguars, one pick after the Jets at 68.

The post JetNation Prospect Preview: Texas A&M TE Jace Sternberger appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
VlwHW-vZh_E

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

Please no. TE is not a position we need to fortify or build depth. 
Herndon is a star in the making, Jordan Leggett is as good as any TE in the draft after round 2 and there are some huge WRs that could be had in later rounds that are better pass catchers. 
1 no one knows what any of these players will end up being. 2 no one can predict accurately where players outside of may be the top pick gets drafted. 3 Herndon looked decent last year but to call him a star in the making is a bit of a reach. 4 what has Leggett done that we can claim he is better than anyone?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

1 no one knows what any of these players will end up being. 2 no one can predict accurately where players outside of may be the top pick gets drafted. 3 Herndon looked decent last year but to call him a star in the making is a bit of a reach. 4 what has Leggett done that we can claim he is better than anyone?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I don’t do numbers. Sorry. 

Herndon was an absolute stud at Miami and had just got better as a pro. Star in the making  IMHO. 

Leggett was very good at Clemson, saw him live a bunch of times and he’s a player. Just needs to stay healthy. 

TE is not a position we need to fortify and if we want big receivers they’re are a ton of late round massive WRs that could double as TEs. 

• Upvote 1

really like this kid.

I love him. I was able to grab him in the 3rd rd of our mock and was excited to do so. Originally I thought he may make it to the 4th but during the mock felt he was going to go early in the 3rd. I actually moved up a smidge to get him.

He has incredibly soft hands and runs good routes. He also gained 12 lbs after the season just to add to the mass behind his blocking. I would love for the jets to draft him and might throw up in my mouth if the pats do.

He will be a good one. Mark my words.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don’t do numbers. Sorry. 
Herndon was an absolute stud at Miami and had just got better as a pro. Star in the making  IMHO. 
Leggett was very good at Clemson, saw him live a bunch of times and he’s a player. Just needs to stay healthy. 
TE is not a position we need to fortify and if we want big receivers they’re are a ton of late round massive WRs that could double as TEs. 

I would say the same thing about TE having the sake impact as a big WR. Especially a guy like Jace. He had every bit the impact in the passing game as most of these WRs out there and can actually block.
If you can get a decent blocking TE who can catch like sterberger I would argue it’s could be equally impactful as a WR.

I get your point though.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Unless they pick up a second he’ll probably be gone by the 3rd round and if they take a defensive player at 3 they better take OL in the 3rd. 

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I love him. I was able to grab him in the 3rd rd of our mock and was excited to do so. Originally I thought he may make it to the 4th but during the mock felt he was going to go early in the 3rd. I actually moved up a smidge to get him.

He has incredibly soft hands and runs good routes. He also gained 12 lbs after the season just to add to the mass behind his blocking. I would love for the jets to draft him and might throw up in my mouth if the pats do.

He will be a good one. Mark my words.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If somehow the Patriots don't get Hockensant, Fant or Smith at at 1.32 or 2.24 you can bet your ass they will be taking Sternberger at pick 64.  @GREENBEAN you sound like you heard the Movin the chains interview with him.  Worth a listen. Made me like him even more. I'd fking hate to see him go to NE or anywhere in the division.  I like him and Oliver more than the UCLA kid. 

He's a JATE,  just another tight end.  He's going to be a good #2 Tight End in the pros, will not approach the ceiling of a Herndon.  He's simply not athletic enough. 

Further, with our limited number of picks, as it now stands, we can't afford what amounts to a "luxury pick".  He's not a Hockenson type talent, nor is he in the class of the top tier tight end prospects.  In his projected drafting slot, we would be much better served with an Offensive Lineman, Cornerback, or even a  wide receiver.

If he's there in the fourth round, that may be a different story, not with either one of our #3's.

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Jordan Leggett is as good as any TE in the draft after round 2

Just for teh lulz:

Legget's stats 2018:

Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM
9 Jordan Leggett NYJ TE 14
1 0 0 6

Top 10 Rookie TE's from 2018:

Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM
1 Chris Herndon (Drafted 4th round) NYJ TE 39 502 12.9 31.4 32T 4 9 0 25 64.1 1
2 Ian Thomas (Drafted 4th round) CAR TE 36 333 9.3 20.8 31 2 4 0 20 55.6 0
3 Mark Andrews (Drafted 3rd round) BAL TE 34 552 16.2 34.5 74 3 8 2 28 82.4 0
4 Dallas Goedert (Drafted 2nd round) PHI TE 33 334 10.1 20.9 32T 4 5 0 15 45.5 0
5 Mike Gesicki (Drafted 2nd round) MIA TE 22 202 9.2 12.6 27 0 1 0 9 40.9 1
6 Jordan Thomas (Drafted 6th round) HOU TE 20 215 10.8 13.4 39 4 2 0 12 60.0 0
7 Jordan Akins (Drafted 3rd round) HOU TE 17 225 13.2 14.1 28 0 3 0 11 64.7 0
8 Hayden Hurst (Drafted 1st round) BAL TE 13 163 12.5 13.6 32 1 3 0 8 61.5 0
9 Dalton Schultz (Drafted 4th round) DAL TE 12 116 9.7 10.5 17 0 0 0 6 50.0 0
10 Will Dissly (Drafted 4th round) SEA TE 8 156 19.5 39.0 66 2 3 1 5 62.5

Yeah, I'm totally cool with drafting another TE to beat out Leggett.

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

If somehow the Patriots don't get Hockensant, Fant or Smith at at 1.32 or 2.24 you can bet your ass they will be taking Sternberger at pick 64.  @GREENBEAN you sound like you heard the Movin the chains interview with him.  Worth a listen. Made me like him even more. I'd fking hate to see him go to NE or anywhere in the division.  I like him and Oliver more than the UCLA kid. 

I know. I love this kid.  I actually caught like the last min or so of his interview with those guys. That's what sent me looking into him. He's a true gem and is 100% going to be a success barring an unfortunate injury or something.  And I agree with you.  The Pats will not wait to see if they can get maximum 3rd rd value for him. They will take him in the 2nd. It's gonna suck for sure.  

Look at his combine.  Hands are so soft. 

https://www.nfl.com/share/10103061-7033-0000-0102-2450ef2c46fc

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I know. I love this kid.  I actually caught like the last min or so of his interview with those guys. That's what sent me looking into him. He's a true gem and is 100% going to be a success barring an unfortunate injury or something.  And I agree with you.  The Pats will not wait to see if they can get maximum 3rd rd value for him. They will take him in the 2nd. It's gonna suck for sure.  

Look at his combine.  Hands are so soft. 

https://www.nfl.com/share/10103061-7033-0000-0102-2450ef2c46fc

After our mock, I knew you would be all over this thread.? This guy is the real deal.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m a huge proponent of 2 TE sets. If this kid falls to the 4th, that would be a steal.

How well did NE do with 2 good tight ends?   2 good players who both become match up problems for the defense?   Plus an elite speed WR on the outside, and another big target in Q?  

(No, I am not saying Robby is an elite WR, he does have elite speed and helps keep the safeties back)

51 minutes ago, chirorob said:

How well did NE do with 2 good tight ends?   2 good players who both become match up problems for the defense?   Plus an elite speed WR on the outside, and another big target in Q?  

(No, I am not saying Robby is an elite WR, he does have elite speed and helps keep the safeties back)

Agree completely. The ability to attack the middle of the field opens up those sideline routes nicely.

Add the fact that Bell is a receiving weapon out of the backfield that LB’s will have to spy, mismatching dime/nickel corners on our TE’s, you have yourself a very versatile offense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I’ve also been saying if we trade back out of the top 10, we should draft T.J. Hockinson

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ok you guys are taking this a little far now.

C'mon Killa, if you think that this prospect Sternberger approaches Herndon in athleticism, pass catching ability or skills then it's you who hasn't been paying attention.  There is nothing smooth about his game, nothing to make you feel that he will excel at the next level.  It's like I said, a luxury pick that we can't afford, especially with just six picks and many holes to be filled.  Pass.

38 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

C'mon Killa, if you think that this prospect Sternberger approaches Herndon in athleticism, pass catching ability or skills then it's you who hasn't been paying attention.  There is nothing smooth about his game, nothing to make you feel that he will excel at the next level.  It's like I said, a luxury pick that we can't afford, especially with just six picks and many holes to be filled.  Pass.

Dude, all I said was you people need to hold back on calling the kid an effing star or saying that Jordan LEGGETT is better than any of these TE’s passed the second round.

no one said anything about Jace being better than Chris. All I said was Chris isn’t a STAR yet. Maybe you weren’t paying attention?

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Dude, all I said was you people need to hold back on calling the kid an effing star or saying that Jordan LEGGETT is better than any of these TE’s passed the second round.

no one said anything about Jace being better than Chris. All I said was Chris isn’t a STAR yet. Maybe you weren’t paying attention?

What's with the attitude.  I'm not mad.  Should everyone agree with every post that's made on the board?  Read my post again.  I didn't say that Herndon was great.  All I said is that Sternberger doesn't have the skills, ceiling, or athleticism of Chris Herndon.  I stand by that. 

I also said that considering this player before the fourth round, in a draft that we currently have six picks in, would be a mistake.  I stand by that too. Read my post that you downvoted, and feel free to refute anything that I stated there.

@Peace Frog said that Herndon is a star "in the making".  I agree with that too.  I also like Leggett.  I gave you a downvote, not a butt fumble.  It simply means that I don't agree with what you said.  There's nothing wrong with that.  I was paying attention. That's why I gave you the downvote.

15 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He's going to be a good #2 Tight End in the pros, will not approach the ceiling of a Herndon.  He's simply not athletic enough. 

Actually, I did say that Jace would not be better than Chris.  And he won't.  Maybe that's what set you off.  It shouldn't have.

19 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

All I said is that Sternberger doesn't have the skills, ceiling, or athleticism of Chris Herndon.  I stand by that. 

I ... didn’t ... say ... anything ... about ... Herndon vs Jace.

In fact I didn’t even quote you once in this thread before you did so to me. I was speaking to the other poster. You jumped in on that. Idk why.

all I said was you people should take a step back before you call Chris Herndon a star or say that Leggett, who has proven nothing, absolutely nothing, is better than any TE projected to go in the 2nd round or later.

Like, you’re literally trying to argue with me over pebbles lol.

Guys, Chris Herndon had a good rookie season. Can we at least wait for the next 2 years before you proclaim him the next STAR TIGHT END.

is if ok to cool off on Leggett too? You know, the guy that has caught like 5 career passes and can’t even stay healthy enough for a full preseason.

am I being that unreasonable?

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I ... didn’t ... say ... anything ... about ... Herndon vs Jace.

In fact I didn’t even quote you once in this thread before you did so to me. I was speaking to the other poster. You jumped in on that. Idk why.

all I said was you people should take a step back before you call Chris Herndon a star or say that Leggett, who has proven nothing, absolutely nothing, is better than any TE projected to go in the 2nd round or later.

Like, you’re literally trying to argue with me over pebbles lol.

You're right.  I did jump in on that comment.  Aren't I allowed? That's why it's a forum.  You know that.  I'm not arguing, I am disagreeing.  You set the tone with the "You People" comment and now you act butt hurt.  Refuting a statement is not arguing.  You know that too.  No harm, no foul.  

I only quoted you to explain why I downvoted that comment.  It was in response to your downvote of my observation in this thread.  Yours was tit for tat.  I simply wanted to qualify my stance.  Again, not arguing, just a difference of opinion.

Bottom line, this guy is certainly not a first round talent.  I don't feel that we should spend a third rounder on him either.  "Bigger fish to fry".  That's my opinion. 

18 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

You're right.  I did jump in on that comment.  Aren't I allowed? That's why it's a forum.  You know that.  I'm not arguing, I am disagreeing.  You set the tone with the "You People" comment and now you act butt hurt.  Refuting a statement is not arguing.  You know that too.  No harm, no foul.  

I only quoted you to explain why I downvoted that comment.  It was in response to your downvote of my observation in this thread.  Yours was tit for tat.  I simply wanted to qualify my stance.  Again, not arguing, just a difference of opinion.

Bottom line, this guy is certainly not a first round talent.  I don't feel that we should spend a third rounder on him either.  "Bigger fish to fry".  That's my opinion. 

Sure, you can jump in if you want. It’s allowed. It’s just odd the way you did it. Lol you started things off by accusing me of something I didn’t say.  Secondly, I only meant “people” that actually think Chris Herndon is a star after one good rookie season or Jordan’s Leggett is suddenly better than a 2nd round prospect in this year’s draft. If you took “you people” in an offensive manner than that isn’t on me. My question is what do we really know about Leggett to make this assumption?

you can’t get aggravated at me for feeling suspect about Herndon being a star or Leggett being as serviceable as Irv Smith for example. As far as I’m concerned we know as much about Leggett as we do any of these 2019 TE’s. Who tf is Jordan Leggett? I damn near forgot he was on this team still. He’s a tight end version of Devin Smith.  There’s holes all in these claims. My claims have evidence to support my opinion.

I’m not interested in calling anyone a star that isn’t actually a star.

you don’t have to agree. The way you disagreed was odd though. *shrug*

Ok I would like to reassert what I said earlier.  

This is all opinion. 

I believe Herndon is a star in the making. Not yet but IMHO WILL become a star. He was a dynamic playmaker at Miami with bad QB play especially his senior year. And he was exceptional this year for a rookie with a rookie QB and a bad offense. Made some of the biggest plays of the year. 

I’m not ready to give up on Leggett notwithstanding the injuries. While he isn’t/wasn’t nearly as athletic as Herndon when he was at Clemson, he’s a very big body with good hands and can body much smaller DBs and most LBs. He was their second biggest receiving threat on National Championship competing teams. Big red zone target that can high point balls and wrestle them away from DBs.

In my personal opinion from watching a lot of him at Clemson, several times live, Leggett is STILL better than any of the TEs projected to go round 3 or lower. 

Its just my opinion, not a guarantee. I’m not a professional scout but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

• Upvote 1