Potential Day 2/3 Picks

Rsherman28

The Full article is below 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2806776-matt-millers-early-2019-nfl-draft-all-sleeper-team?share=other#slide0

Below are 3 picks who I wouldn't mind drafting in 17 days. The link has the full list, I usually agree with a lot of Matt Miller's opinions and seems to have a good out put on the Jets. 

1. Offensive Line: Elgton Jenkins, Mississippi State

52ba2181d11ccc9bb94e65ccee839a44_crop_ex

When talking about offensive linemen, most people want to focus on the tackle spots since they are generally the most important of the five starters. In this year's draft class, don't be afraid to look inside at Mississippi State's Elgton Jenkins.

Jenkins, a 6'4" and 310-pound versatile interior player, has the tools to be a first-rounder when late April gets here. He's powerful, smart and has the agility to execute down blocks on defensive tackles or reach linebackers at the second level. A two-year starter at center, Jenkins has also played left tackle, left guard and right tackle while twice being named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll.

2.Wide Receiver: Andy Isabella, UMass

953fcc8794b2a88baeac7d81471fbff5_crop_ex

Andy Isabella is one of my favorite players in the 2019 draft class.

The senior from UMass leads the nation in receiving yards (1,698) and has played well against the best competition in the country. When lining up against the Georgia Bulldogs, he went off for 15 catches, 219 yards and two touchdowns, which should eliminate any talk that he runs up stats against weaker competition.

With excellent speed that scouts estimate is in the low 4.3s in the 40-yard dash, the 5'10", 190-pound Isabella isn't just a possession receiver. He has legitimate deep speed and has the jacked body type to run through press coverage and handle physical corner backs. 

3. Tight End: Josh Oliver, San Jose State

ff691af0c169a22bdf4d5332b382c29c_crop_ex

Sam Greenwood/Getty Images

The upcoming draft class is expected to be loaded with tight end prospects who could set a record for most selected in the first round. That is dependent upon the declarations of several top underclassmen such as Noah Fant (Iowa), Irv Smith Jr. (Alabama) and T.J. Hockenson (Iowa), but the overall look at the group is very exciting.

It's easy to forget about the seniors when so much of the focus goes to the underclassmen, but don't sleep on San Jose State's Josh Oliver.

A big target at 6'5" and 250 pounds, Oliver has shown the athleticism needed to become a vertical seam target and red-zone option. He has the speed to take linebackers and safeties down the field and has shown the agility and explosion to be a threat over the top or when attacking the ball in the air. 

In the NFL, Oliver projects best in an offense that doesn't ask the tight end to stay in-line and block but will let him move around the formation and find the best match ups.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Reason #4 why I can’t wait for the draft to get here:

so I don’t have to read anymore drivel on Isabella. Sleeper? Child please. 

I hear you on all the projections and mock draft drivel (great word selection btw lol)

But the dude ran a 4.31 at the combine. 

It's not like we are talking about him being a sleeper in round 1, but I feel like taking a shot on a slot wide receiver on late day 2 or day 3 isn't that bad considering how much 3 wide receiver sets have grown in the NFL

The NFL used three wide receiver sets 73% of pass plays in 2018 and 62% the year before. Seems like every year more and more slot guys come out faster and smaller. 

Wes Welker, Danny Emedola and Cole Beasley weren't even drafted when they came out. Edelman in the 7th round. I think this is due to the slot being used like it is in "today's QB and WR friendly world"

I feel like the more the slot receiver position grows, the more will be drafted. 

5 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I wouldn’t take Miller’s option on WR talent...just sayin’

Curios on why us say that. 

Miller's first 5 projected wide receivers in order from his final 2018 mock draft

1. Calvin Ridley : 64 rec. 821 yards. 10 td's. 16 games
  2. Courtland Sutton : 42 rec. 704 yards. 4 td's. 16 games
  3. Dj Moore : 55 rec. 788 yards. 2 td's. 16 games
  4. Christian Kirk :  43 rec. 590 yards. 3 td's. 12 games
  5. Dj Chark  : 14 rec. 174 yards. 0 td's. 11 games

Seem's like almost everyone of his top 5 picks for wide receiver did well year one except for the 5th one, Dj Chark. 

Most of these picks were earlier and won't be where we will potentially choose a wr. 

9 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Curios on why us say that. 

Miller's first 5 projected wide receivers in order from his final 2018 mock draft

1. Calvin Ridley : 64 rec. 821 yards. 10 td's. 16 games
  2. Courtland Sutton : 42 rec. 704 yards. 4 td's. 16 games
  3. Dj Moore : 55 rec. 788 yards. 2 td's. 16 games
  4. Christian Kirk :  43 rec. 590 yards. 3 td's. 12 games
  5. Dj Chark  : 14 rec. 174 yards. 0 td's. 11 games

Seem's like almost everyone of his top 5 picks for wide receiver did well year one except for the 5th one, Dj Chark. 

Most of these picks were earlier and won't be where we will potentially choose a wr. 

Miller was the scout.

Heart.  Toughness.

19 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Miller was the scout.

Heart.  Toughness.

Can you post the full scouting report?

I feel like all scouting reports have a weakness and strength section part of it. With like a "bottom line" ending. Most scouting reports on Ju Ju you will find all have the same weakness or more.

I mean the guy was drafted in the second round... Every team and scout got it wrong. If you can go back and draft or re scout it him every scout's opinion would change. 

WEAKNESSES

Needs to get better at freeing himself at the break point of his routes. Doesn't seem to get cornerbacks tilting with his routes. Missing the sudden acceleration out of his cuts to generate separation and an easy throwing window. Contested catches will have to be a big part of his future. Rarely shows a second gear to run under the deep throws. Will coast when turning to find deep ball rather than maintaining play speed. Off-man corners may squat on underneath routes if they don't fear his vertical speed. Can be slow to release against press coverage. Plays with a delayed open to the quarterback on his comeback routes. Will need to pay better attention to his angles as a blocker. Eight of his ten touchdowns this season came in three games.

Well then...

Despite the negatives in the scouting report, the same report was spot on about one thing:

"He has a mom and stepdad who keep him grounded. His passion and enthusiasm are second to none and he absolutely loves football. He came in as a safety and probably could have gone pro as a safety as well if he had stayed there." - Former USC assistant coach.

You can just tell how much Smith-Schuster loves the game, and as long as he continues to prove the doubters wrong in a black-and-gold uniform, that is certainly fine by Steelers fans everywhere.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/2017-nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-detroit-lions-tickets-streaming-time-how-to-watch/2017/10/30/16569174/juju-smith-schuster-throws-shade-at-nfl-scouts-after-his-monster-day-vs-detroit-steelers-lions

Glenn Naughton brought this guy up in his last podcast but Donald Parham, a small school prospect out of Stetson looks like a great red zone target for Darnold. I know people are clamoring for a balanced TE who can block and be an offensive weapon. But if the Jets don't end up trading down, Parham could be a solid prospect late in the draft- with a sixth round pick.

He is not a blocker but he is 6'8 and a good athlete with great hands. And again, I'm taking 6th maybe 7th round. 

So that is my sleeper.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/donald-parham

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Glenn Naughton brought this guy up in his last podcast but Donald Parham, a small school prospect out of Stetson looks like a great red zone target for Darnold. I know people are clamoring for a balanced TE who can block and be an offensive weapon. But if the Jets don't end up trading down, Parham could be a solid prospect late in the draft- with a sixth round pick.

He is not a blocker but he is 6'8 and a good athlete with great hands. And again, I'm taking 6th maybe 7th round. 

So that is my sleeper.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/donald-parham

Agreed.  I think Solak summed it up pretty well in that he is a big slot receiver at the next level.  He looked decent enough at the Senior Bowl to take a late round flyer on.  

I like Parham too, but wouldn't burn anything more than a late pick on him. For my money, I'll take Keenen Brown also, 6'2 250, ex-OSU WR, with natural hands and feel for the position.

I agree that we don't need a balanced TE. I'll take one, but in 12 personnel formations, Herndon will line up at Y, so we could use a true F

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I like Parham too, but wouldn't burn anything more than a late pick on him. For my money, I'll take Keenen Brown also, 6'2 250, ex-OSU WR, with natural hands and feel for the position.

I agree that we don't need a balanced TE. I'll take one, but in 12 personnel formations, Herndon will line up at Y, so we could use a true F

Where do you think Jazz will go?  

30 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Where do you think Jazz will go?  

Brother, who knows. This whole WR class has gone upside down. 

Most of these #DraftTwitter amateur fcks don't know how to grade/assess OTs, LBs, SS, etc etc so they spend all their time getting hopped up on receivers and backs. If you believe them, we'd have 25 WRs drafted in the first 4 rounds. 

Here's what I think; After the first couple names, it's a matter of "what does your offense need"...  there's a handful of gadget guys, big redzone dudes, possession types, etc... a massive BLOB of talent that all grade as RND 3-5...  I would expect if there's a run on a "type" (ex. tall redzone dude), that we'll see teams reach a bit of talent. 

I think Teams have a much different grade/board than what you're seeing floating around. 

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Most of these #DraftTwitter amateur fcks don't know how to grade/assess OTs, LBs, SS, etc etc so they spend all their time getting hopped up on receivers and backs. If you believe them, we'd have 25 WRs drafted in the first 4 rounds. 

Here's what I think; After the first couple names, it's a matter of "what does your offense need"...  there's a handful of gadget guys, big redzone dudes, possession types, etc... a massive BLOB of talent that all grade as RND 3-5...  I would expect if there's a run on a "type" (ex. tall redzone dude), that we'll see teams reach a bit of talent. 

I think Teams have a much different grade/board than what you're seeing floating around. 

LOL, I was reading you on Twitter today, you sounded PISSED

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

LOL, I was reading you on Twitter today, you sounded PISSED

lol, you know it's time to quite social media when....  i'm sorry. I'm actually pretty good company. I'm like, a very chill free love kind of guy. I'm into hippy chicks and artsy films.

But yea, I find myself on the threshold sometimes of like -- "what the f*** DraftTwitter..." ...today was one of those days. Not sure if it's a good thing, but i've had a few DMs from others in the industry who share my sentiments. 

18 hours ago, Paradis said:

Agree 100%.   It seems some of these places just throw a 2nd round grade on everyone who may have some sort of potential.   Part of the problem is that some of these NFL, professional GMs making these decisions are taking guys in the first round that have no business being there.  Look at some of the first round receivers that have been taken.  Guys like Doctson, Treadwell, Perriman etc, etc.   Guys that had no business being close to the first round.  So I think some of these places try to predict those types of behaviors.  

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Agree 100%.   It seems some of these places just throw a 2nd round grade on everyone who may have some sort of potential.   Part of the problem is that some of these NFL, professional GMs making these decisions are taking guys in the first round that have no business being there.  Look at some of the first round receivers that have been taken.  Guys like Doctson, Treadwell, Perriman etc, etc.   Guys that had no business being close to the first round.  So I think some of these places try to predict those types of behaviors.  

I would give anything to being in the war room and listen to the dialogue.... I need to understand how some of these guys wind up as 1st round picks. like AJ Jenkins? How did that happen. 

I believe this year, what is "popular" consensus in draft circles is not what we're going to see in 2 weeks. Just my guess. 

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I would give anything to being in the war room and listen to the dialogue.... I need to understand how some of these guys wind up as 1st round picks. like AJ Jenkins? How did that happen. 

I believe this year, what is "popular" consensus in draft circles is not what we're going to see in 2 weeks. Just my guess. 

I LOVE Hakeem Butler, but seeing him being talked about as a top 15 player is crazy IMO.   I think there will be a run on receivers mid to late 2nd round into the top of the 3rd round.  That’s where I see the value in these guys.  But who knows.  

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I LOVE Hakeem Butler, but seeing him being talked about as a top 15 player is crazy IMO.   I think there will be a run on receivers mid to late 2nd round into the top of the 3rd round.  That’s where I see the value in these guys.  But who knows.  

I agree with this. Think day 2 is the sweet spot to draft WR's and a couple of the guys this year are going to have nice careers but day one you're just throwing a dart on which guy it'll be.

21 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I would love to get Butler.  He's been going early-mid round 2 in the mocks.  We ain't getting him.  But the good news is there are other big talented WRs lower on the board (Hurd, Doss, Jazz).

Archived