Key Picks, Free Agent Additions Have Jets Rebuild Right on Schedule

JetNation

IMG_8489a.jpg

This should change in the coming weeks, but as it stands today, the Jets have no established edge rusher on their roster, a veteran journeyman pencilled in at center and plenty of questions at cornerback.  They’re far from a finished product as the NFL draft approaches, but in looking at acquisitions made through the draft, free agency and trades since a full tear-down a few seasons ago, the team’s rebuild appears to be on track.

Fans frustrated by the team’s sub-par performance since going 10-6 in GM Mike Maccagnan’s first season with Todd Bowles at the helm seem to be in agreement.  The Jets rebuild was going to take at least three years according to a fan poll conducted by JetNation.

When the Jets purged the roster of aging/overpaid/injured vets after the 2016 season, how long did you expect it to take them to build a playoff contender?

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) March 27, 2019

With an overwhelming majority, 85% of fans said they expected the Jets to contend three to four years after the team cut ties with Nick Mangold, David Harris, Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall and a slew of others.

Now, with the NFL draft just a couple of weeks away and upgrades made almost entirely across the board, there’s no reason why the Jets shouldn’t be at least playing meaningful football games in December with their eyes on a playoff spot.

Quarterback Sam Darnold is the future of the franchise who looks to be mature beyond his years.  With that being the case, expectations are high as an off-season of hard work and upgraded weapons should allow the QB to make considerable strides toward being an elite signal caller. 

The addition of running back Le’Veon Bell and receiver Jamison Crowder out of the slot means Darnold will have arguably the league’s best running back to lean on when under pressure to go along with a quick twitch receiver underneath to exploit opposing defenses that will be stressed to contain the speedy Robby Anderson and Quincy Enunwa on the outside.

Of course the offensive will have to be improved from last season but there’s no reason why that shouldn’t be the case.  Along with Le’Veon Bell, the biggest upgrade on the roster might be the addition of All Pro left guard Kelechi Osmele taking over for the departed James Carpenter.  Throw in the fact that Spencer Long is out after a disastrous season under Jeremy Bates and it’s addition by subtraction.  If Jonotthan Harrison or a rookie play at a league average level, it would be a massive improvement.  In fact, it was with Harrison at center down the stretch last season when Darnold played his best football.

Add last year’s rookie tight end Chris Herndon to an arsenal that includes Bell, Anderson, Enunwa and Crowder and this could have the makings of one of the best offenses the Jets have ever assembled if Darnold is the player many expected him to be when he was chosen with the third overall pick last season.

IMG_7063a-1-300x176.jpg

Chris Herndon was one of the NFL’s top rookie tight ends in 2018.

On defense, the Jets re-signed defensive lineman Henry Anderson after acquiring him for a seventh-round pick during last year’s draft.  Henderson’s non-stop  motor led to a career year (35 tackles, 7 sacks, 16 QB  hits) that earned him a new deal with Gang Green.

At linebacker, four-time pro bowler CJ Mosely replaces Darron Lee and pairs with Avery Williamson to give the Jets some big hitters in the middle, but just how well the pair will fare against the pass remains to be seen.

IMG_8520-300x200.jpg

Pundits are speculating that former first round pick Darron Lee will be shopped as the Jets look to add picks with the draft approaching.

Having missed tons of action last season, Marcus Maye’s health is a concern despite playing sixteen games as a rookie.  If Maye is healthy, he’ll pair with Jamal Adams to give the Jets what should be the best safety tandem the team has ever fielded.  

The team will be hoping for the best at cornerback where defensive coordinator Gregg Williams will be reunited with Trumaine Johnson who was a flop in year one with the Jets after playing at a high level under Williams with the Rams just a few seasons ago.  The team also looks to be ready to allow Darryl Roberts to compete for the second cornerback slot after a strong showing in 2018.  Fans also shouldn’t rule out Derrick Jones who impressed in limited action last year.

When the NFL draft rolls around, most expect the Jets to address their needs at edge rusher with a player such as Nick Bosa or Josh Allen.  Adding Quinnen Williams out of Alabama would also make any other edge rushers on the roster that much better while also upgrading the run defense and the team’s ability to collapse the pocket.

There are plenty of directions the Jets can go on draft day.  No matter which they choose, they should be able to fill some of the biggest holes that remain on the roster, allowing them to make a playoff push for 2019 and beyond.  Right on schedule.

The post Key Picks, Free Agent Additions Have Jets Rebuild Right on Schedule appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
0o8nneQ_XiU

Click here to read the full story...

"Right on Schedule".... yeah, 5 years in, on rebuild #3, and having to massively overpay FAs at non-premium positions because of unmatched levels of incompetence in the NFL draft is the exact schedule I had in mind.  At least they had the money to pay those guys, thanks to the roster being so devoid of talent that they had tons of cap room.  That's something, right???

Again with the Derrick Jones? His limited action consisted of half the snaps week 17.  Other than that he didn't even play special teams.  I don't know how impressive he could have been, the Jets gave up 250 yards and 4 TDs while getting blown out.  At least pretend it is Rashard Robinson.  He didn't do anything under Bowles, but at least he has a season's worth of starts for Williams to grade. 

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Again with the Derrick Jones? His limited action consisted of half the snaps week 17.  Other than that he didn't even play special teams.  I don't know how impressive he could have been, the Jets gave up 250 yards and 4 TDs while getting blown out.  At least pretend it is Rashard Robinson.  He didn't do anything under Bowles, but at least he has a season's worth of starts for Williams to grade. 

Derrick Jones put up a really good coverage grade when he played. That correlates with his preseason performances where he received really high coverage grades. There are reasons to like Derrick Jones. He’s long, fast and has performed well when on the field.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Derrick Jones put up a really good coverage grade when he played. That correlates with his preseason performances where he received really high coverage grades. There are reasons to like Derrick Jones. He’s long, fast and has performed well when on the field.

There are reasons to like Derrick Jones, but he was never on the field. 

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

With an overwhelming majority, 85% of fans said they expected the Jets to contend three to four years after the team cut ties with Nick Mangold, David Harris, Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall and a slew of others.

Now, with the NFL draft just a couple of weeks away and upgrades made almost entirely across the board, there’s no reason why the Jets shouldn’t be at least playing meaningful football games in December with their eyes on a playoff spot.

Pearls.

The addition of running back Le’Veon Bell and receiver Jamison Crowder out of the slot means Darnold will have arguably the league’s best running back to lean on when under pressure to go along with a quick twitch receiver underneath to exploit opposing defenses that will be stressed to contain the speedy Robby Anderson and Quincy Enunwa on the outside.

Ok, this doesn't look very good. If Q is going to be playing on the outside, we really messed up not getting a WR in FA that is suited to play there. Anderson (unless he makes a massive improvement) is a border line 2. This BS that all the Jets CS ever asked him to do was run down the field was because that was all he was good at. We saw him try to play the intermediate  game and it is not his strong suit but as a burner does belong on the outside.  Q absolutely  should be playing on the inside. I have never seen Q used any other way and he does it well. He and Crowder play the same position. We need a tall posession WR out there. I don't  know if that is something Q can do. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Between Tru, Roberts, Robinson, Jones with Poole and Nickerson in the slot, along with UDFA and/or a CB in the draft, the Jets are fine at the CB position. 

Will that be an area where they dominate? Probably not. And I know most Jet fans look at this group and say- Tru is past his prime and he played terribly last year, Roberts does not deserve the money and is not a legit #2 CB, Robinson, Jones and Nickerson have not proven anything and Poole is barely an upgrade over Skrine. I mean, that's a typical Jet fan reaction. If the Jets don't have 2 pro-bowers on the outside and a great Nickel corner then whats the point, cut everyone. 

But obviously, the jets coaching staff and brass look at it differently. They want to give Tru a chance. Despite how terrible his play looked at times, he still had 4 INTs in the 10 games he played. He looked sluggish and got beat but also made some plays. And at some point, you have to give guys a chance- Jones, Robinson and Nickerson barely played, but when they DID they looked good. Maybe the Jets think they have something in these players. Maybe they want to give them a shot. They probably know what they are getting with Roberts and Poole and that is why they signed them- b/c you need veterans who you can expect a certain level of play from. 

The Jets brought back H.Anderson, Copeland, Luvu and Wint. Maybe they think that if they added a Pass Rusher in a guy like Allen or Bosa in the draft, that will further improve their secondary. 

I truly do not understand Jet fans who look at this team and don't see the talent this team now has on both offense and defense. Who only see this team as full of unproven young players, underachieving high draft picks and overpaid Free Agents.     

39 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I truly do not understand Jet fans who look at this team and don't see the talent this team now has on both offense and defense. Who only see this team as full of unproven young players, underachieving high draft picks and overpaid Free Agents.     

Likewise, I don’t understand people who look up at the sun and see a giant ball of burning hydrogen and helium

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Between Tru, Roberts, Robinson, Jones with Poole and Nickerson in the slot, along with UDFA and/or a CB in the draft, the Jets are fine at the CB position. 

Will that be an area where they dominate? Probably not. And I know most Jet fans look at this group and say- Tru is past his prime and he played terribly last year, Roberts does not deserve the money and is not a legit #2 CB, Robinson, Jones and Nickerson have not proven anything and Poole is barely an upgrade over Skrine. I mean, that's a typical Jet fan reaction. If the Jets don't have 2 pro-bowers on the outside and a great Nickel corner then whats the point, cut everyone. 

But obviously, the jets coaching staff and brass look at it differently. They want to give Tru a chance. Despite how terrible his play looked at times, he still had 4 INTs in the 10 games he played. He looked sluggish and got beat but also made some plays. And at some point, you have to give guys a chance- Jones, Robinson and Nickerson barely played, but when they DID they looked good. Maybe the Jets think they have something in these players. Maybe they want to give them a shot. They probably know what they are getting with Roberts and Poole and that is why they signed them- b/c you need veterans who you can expect a certain level of play from. 

The Jets brought back H.Anderson, Copeland, Luvu and Wint. Maybe they think that if they added a Pass Rusher in a guy like Allen or Bosa in the draft, that will further improve their secondary. 

Tru Johnson was awful last year, just garbage, roberts has never been a every day Cb until now.

The team had like the 29th ranked D last year with ALL WORLD talents like Jamal Adams and Leo the big cat.

The team has won what about 15 games in the last three years?

If the team last year was bad because the offense was bad under a rookie Qb and the D was good i could see your point.

You probably made the exact same post last year and we wobble to 3rd overall draft pick.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tru Johnson was awful last year, just garbage, roberts has never been a every day Cb until now.

The team had like the 29th ranked D last year with ALL WORLD talents like Jamal Adams and Leo the big cat.

The team has won what about 15 games in the last three years?

If the team last year was bad because the offense was bad under a rookie Qb and the D was good i could see your point.

You probably made the exact same post last year and we wobble to 3rd overall draft pick.

I prefer to call him “the big shat”. 

Between Moe Larry and Curly the Jets will be fine at cornerback. With Abbot at center and Costello at Tackle the Jets improved by subtraction. Yes things are looking up! Oh I forgot Squigward and Patrick as our D-ends. Thats 7 spots where we are fine in year 3 of our rebuild but maybe we can improve those spots by going 7 for 7 in the draft. Year 3 of the Jets 17th rebuild and if we go 7 for 7 in the draft we will have a solid team. We are on our way. At least we have Sponge Bob as our QB!

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Jets have 4 players that have been 1st or 2nd team all pro 

Adams 

Mosely 

Bell 

Osemele 

Has that ever happened before? 

The issue with the State of the Rebuild is the State of the Trenches, which include the OLBs.  

To be competitive a team needs some great players in key positions, but it also needs competent players at every position.  The Jets right now are not or borderline competent in several positions.  That will negate the great play they get from other players.  

The Rebuild thus far is very uneven. I actually believe that they can fill 2 holes in the draft, but there are more holes than that.  

i guess i'd question the plenty of questions at cb comment.  johnson should rebound and roberts is okay.  poole should handle the slot and then there are still the rookies from last year who seemed to have some sense.  but teas probably can never have too many corners or guys who can cover in the backfield even if they're more like safeties.  we'll see.  imo the biggest holes are still on the offensive line and following that another wr and good linebacker. 

9 hours ago, PepPep said:

Welcome to Jetsnation.com:

The place where the glass is always half empty.

Imagine a world where John Idzik, despite his repeated failures in the draft, hangs onto his job for another two seasons, and in his fourth draft stumbles into position to draft Carson Wentz. Voila, now his “rebuild” is perfect and has the Jets on the “right track.” Alas.

Alas.

12 hours ago, PepPep said:

If the Jets don't have 2 pro-bowers on the outside and a great Nickel corner then whats the point, cut everyone. 

The hyperbole in this common, excuse-making argument suggests the next incremental improvement to the Jets' CBs would only be if they had "2 pro-bowers on the outside and a great Nickel corner" -- that this group is merely a hair beneath that all-time best in NFL history level. 

Archived