SR24

Jets Reportedly Targeting Dillard/Jonah Via Trade Down

Just now, JiF said:

If true, Mac needs to work on his poker face 

he wants to trade down, he's made that clear.  the rest of the article is speculative though i do believe the would take an OL in round 1 if they trade back, not a shocker considering how they have said repeatedly they want to protect darnold.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, genot said:

Any rumor that the Jets want to trade down to draft those two is a smoke screen. If we're playing a 3-4 base, and we trade Lee, we need an outside linebacker. Much more than those tackles, both of whom have flaws in their game.

if the jets trade down what positions do you think they'll draft?  no qb/rb/wr.  no safety.  it's olb/cb/OL as the 3 biggest needs.  gase has said the OL is a 'work in progress' and mccagnan has said the primary goal is to protect darnold.  mccagnan is begging teams to trade with him.  where's the smokescreen?

• Upvote 3

Just now, section314 said:

Always works to maximize your value. Pretty much in anything, not just sports.😂

it's not as if there are great qb prospects that he doesn't have to beg.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rsherman28 said:

This draft is a lot different and unique than any other draft in his history. I am not sure we can go off his history of lack of offensive lineman and say that this is going to be the strategy he is going to use  

1. All your picks change after getting your "franchise quarterback". Lineman and play makers become the next big thing you need to bring in before the rookie contract is up and you pay 30 mil per year.
  2. With the lack of picks in prior drafts, it is only a matter of time before the GM choices a year to draft a couple offensive lineman. This is that year

plus first year with offensive HC and mccagnan's job is tied to darnold succeeding.

Just now, jack48 said:

the value is what the Jets say it is.  They have the higher pick.

the value is what someone is willing to purchase something for.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Macc is begging teams to trade? Where is that happening? We have an entire article based on what macc said at the combine which was essentially that we are open for business. Not that we are begging anyone for anything.

The other source in this article is who? Cimini? What story has he broken since macc arrived here? He’s had to write articles based on shefter or rappaport tweets. He knows nothing.

When are we going to learn that Macc doesn’t leak? Whatever this article is does not sound like anything that has been consistent with anything we’ve seen. Anyone responding to it with further speculation on what this speculation means will hopefully understand that it’s just partaking in the nothing party. Akin to what we’d do if we won the lottery.
Me? I’d save all the sad children out there of course. I sure hope God is reading this post.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

this is him essentially begging for offers

Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan said at the Scouting Combine that the team “would absolutely” consider trading down from the No. 3 overall pick if the right offer came their way.

Maccagnan met the media at the league meetings in Arizona on Monday and he wanted to make sure that anyone who might have missed those comments heard his message. The G.M. wasn’t holding a for sale sign above his head while talking to reporters, but that was essentially the message.

“We’re very open to potentially moving back from three,” Maccagnan said, via the New York Post. “I wouldn’t envision us moving up in the draft. I think you can rule that one out. If we end up staying at three and taking a player, we think there are some very good players at three. But we’d definitely be interested if another team came with an offer that we felt was worthy of moving out of the spot. We would definitely consider that. Not to say we’re committed to doing it, but we’d definitely be very intrigued by that.”

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Jonah Williams is visiting on Tuesday.

if the jets are meeting with several OL who are projected to go in the 7-12 range i think it's reasonable to assume that they think they have a decent shot of trading back. 

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Honestly, if the Jets end up with a guy they have #7 on their board that they want the most of everyone, for reasons such a positional need/value, even a failure to trade down should not do anything to change what they do.  4 draft slots is not a good enough reason to change your entire plan.  Every year you have team's getting criticized on draft day for taking someone higher than a bunch of media folks' last of 50 different versions of rankings happened to say, while other supposedly high-rated players go plummeting down the board.  In the end, none of it makes a damn bit of difference, or is even remembered, when the move pays off.

i agree, but mccagnan wants a 2nd round pick, at least.  so while we can argue the merits of taking an OL at #3 b/c of protecting darnold, it's definitely easier to stomach taking the OL at, say, 10, and also getting extra picks.

Just now, choon328 said:

The reality of this draft is that it is much deeper on the defensive side of the ball. It makes more sense to get a top offensive player early bc all of the value from rounds 3-7 will be on the defense. The offensive guys are going to go earlier than people think bc of the lack of depth.

In my opinion if they trade back, assuming they pick up at least an additional 2nd round pick, my first 2 picks would be on the offensive line. Then in round 3 with 2 maybe 3 picks after the trade back they can probably get a few guys with 2nd round talent that fall. And there will be plenty of defensive guys that go later than projected. 

if they trade back and get at least a 2nd rounder, i can see them taking an OT in round 1, using the 2nd rounder on an edge rusher, then drafting a C in the 3rd along with a cb.

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

scoring more points will offset whatever they get from allen or bosa. a better offense would even make the bowles defense look way better.

Not to mention, with all these edge rushers being drafted, teams need to block them.  Like last year I think the good OL go quickly. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jack48 said:

no. the value is the pick.  someone else is trying to buy that value.  if they don't, you still have the value of a number 3. we are not forced to trade

But the value of trading the pick is what you can get for it not what you ask or what you traded to get it last year.  It does not matter that the jets gave up 3 #2s to move up 3 spots, if the giants are only willing to give up a 2nd and 3rd rounder, then that’s the MV.

49 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

To be honest, the better value will be the opposite.   There will be better O-linemen available in the second than there will be edge rushers.  

I think that good OL are harder to find now that colleges use more gimmicky offenses, so OL are now being overdrafted.  And with all these pass rushers being drafted, teams still need to protect all these high priced qbs.  That said if the jets trade back and get at least a 2nd, i would not be upset if they took a pass rusher in the first and addressed OL on day 2.

1 minute ago, TheGoose said:

Putting this here:

Andre Dillard: 33 4/8” arms

Jonah Williams: 33 5/8” arms

Jonah williams is the type of player mccagnan would trade back and take, high floor player from great D1 program who is unlikely to bust.  He’s basically the offensive version of Leonard williams.

1 minute ago, sirlancemehlot said:

We need to replace our tiny linebacker that we just upgraded with a top ten player at the position...instead of bolstering the weak oline and protecting the first franchise qb we've had since Pennington. Ok 

They wanted to sign Barr so they could use multiple high picks on the OL but now they’ve got a hole at olb still, and there will probably be a debate of whether to trade back if they have the chance.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheGoose said:

Point is, the knock on Jonah is arm length, and here he has way longer arms than the “other guy we’re scouting”

I understand that.  But i can easily see the jets targeting Jonah around 10 or so, playing him at LT and moving Beachum to RT.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

begging?  :D  

"would absolutely consider" = begging?

"Very intrigued" = begging?

got it chief.  :rolleyes:

begging, asking, what's the difference.  mccagnan wants out.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company