Jets Reportedly Targeting Dillard/Jonah Via Trade Down

SR24

if the jets trade down what positions do you think they'll draft?  no qb/rb/wr.  no safety.  it's olb/cb/OL as the 3 biggest needs.  gase has said the OL is a 'work in progress' and mccagnan has said the primary goal is to protect darnold.  mccagnan is begging teams to trade with him.  where's the smokescreen?

Macc is begging teams to trade? Where is that happening? We have an entire article based on what macc said at the combine which was essentially that we are open for business. Not that we are begging anyone for anything.

The other source in this article is who? Cimini? What story has he broken since macc arrived here? He’s had to write articles based on shefter or rappaport tweets. He knows nothing.

When are we going to learn that Macc doesn’t leak? Whatever this article is does not sound like anything that has been consistent with anything we’ve seen. Anyone responding to it with further speculation on what this speculation means will hopefully understand that it’s just partaking in the nothing party. Akin to what we’d do if we won the lottery.
Me? I’d save all the sad children out there of course. I sure hope God is reading this post.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Macc is begging teams to trade? Where is that happening? We have an entire article based on what macc said at the combine which was essentially that we are open for business. Not that we are begging anyone for anything.

The other source in this article is who? Cimini? What story has he broken since macc arrived here? He’s had to write articles based on shefter or rappaport tweets. He knows nothing.

When are we going to learn that Macc doesn’t leak? Whatever this article is does not sound like anything that has been consistent with anything we’ve seen. Anyone responding to it with further speculation on what this speculation means will hopefully understand that it’s just partaking in the nothing party. Akin to what we’d do if we won the lottery.
Me? I’d save all the sad children out there of course. I sure hope God is reading this post.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

this is him essentially begging for offers

Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan said at the Scouting Combine that the team “would absolutely” consider trading down from the No. 3 overall pick if the right offer came their way.

Maccagnan met the media at the league meetings in Arizona on Monday and he wanted to make sure that anyone who might have missed those comments heard his message. The G.M. wasn’t holding a for sale sign above his head while talking to reporters, but that was essentially the message.

“We’re very open to potentially moving back from three,” Maccagnan said, via the New York Post. “I wouldn’t envision us moving up in the draft. I think you can rule that one out. If we end up staying at three and taking a player, we think there are some very good players at three. But we’d definitely be interested if another team came with an offer that we felt was worthy of moving out of the spot. We would definitely consider that. Not to say we’re committed to doing it, but we’d definitely be very intrigued by that.”

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Hopefully we can shock everyone and orchestrate a trade with NYG (I know unlikely) and leave the draft with Taylor at #6 and then one of Metcalf/AJ Brown/Dillard/Bardbury at 17

I also hope my wife will agree to my terms of polygamy. Let’s hold hands. 

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

http://draftanalyst.com/potential-trade-down-targets-new-york-jets

Saw this pop up via twitter and thought it was interesting. Wonder if Gase is having a bigger say in the draft process than we think

Heading is confused.  Article doesn't say the Jets are targeting anytime. Doesn't report a thing about players the Jets actually are interest in

They're coming up with targets for the Jets.  That they think the Jets should target.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

It doesn't say the Jets are targeting anytime.

They're coming up with targets for the Jets.  

sources tell me the team will target offensive linemen in Round 1. The names specifically given to me were left tackle Andre Dillard of Washington State and Jonah Williams of Alabama. From the article

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets are meeting with several OL who are projected to go in the 7-12 range i think it's reasonable to assume that they think they have a decent shot of trading back. 

I honestly think that if it does happen it will be while the Jets are on the clock. It will depend on who was taken with those 1st 2 picks and who's left.

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this is him essentially begging for offers

Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan said at the Scouting Combine that the team “would absolutely” consider trading down from the No. 3 overall pick if the right offer came their way.

Maccagnan met the media at the league meetings in Arizona on Monday and he wanted to make sure that anyone who might have missed those comments heard his message. The G.M. wasn’t holding a for sale sign above his head while talking to reporters, but that was essentially the message.

“We’re very open to potentially moving back from three,” Maccagnan said, via the New York Post. “I wouldn’t envision us moving up in the draft. I think you can rule that one out. If we end up staying at three and taking a player, we think there are some very good players at three. But we’d definitely be interested if another team came with an offer that we felt was worthy of moving out of the spot. We would definitely consider that. Not to say we’re committed to doing it, but we’d definitely be very intrigued by that.”

Mac couldn't advertise that he wanted to trade down more if he had planes carry banners over the 31 other practice facilities. 

11 minutes ago, SR24 said:

sources tell me the team will target offensive linemen in Round 1. The names specifically given to me were left tackle Andre Dillard of Washington State and Jonah Williams of Alabama. From the article

I'd want Jonah Williams obviously. I don't know that much about Dillard. 

Just now, SR24 said:

It's ok little snowflake you can downvote all my posts I hope whatever emotional trauma you're going through today gets better. 

Idk wtf a snowflake is but if your fake tough guy internet persona we’re in front of me it would be bleeding all over my floor.

1 hour ago, Rsherman28 said:

This draft is a lot different and unique than any other draft in his history. I am not sure we can go off his history of lack of offensive lineman and say that this is going to be the strategy he is going to use  

1. All your picks change after getting your "franchise quarterback". Lineman and play makers become the next big thing you need to bring in before the rookie contract is up and you pay 30 mil per year.
  2. With the lack of picks in prior drafts, it is only a matter of time before the GM choices a year to draft a couple offensive lineman. This is that year

To support your statements, say hypothetically we had the equivalent of Sammy prior to the Petty/Hackenberg picks. well those 2nd and 4th round picks likely would have been Olineman to protect Sammy or at least one would have been and the other a likely additional weapon like a WR for him to throw to. But, like many teams we had to try in rounds below the first to take fliers on QBs to try and get one since 1st round picks either are too low at times to pick the QBs, or the QBs at the top of the first round are over hyped and possibly not goo, like the scouts feel about this years QB class.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Idk wtf a snowflake is but if your fake tough guy internet persona we’re in front of me it would be bleeding all over my floor.

Is that before or after you downvote all my posts and see a therapist? 

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

From the article:

lol

So true, yet so deliciously snarky.

What, you don't think David Harris and Randy Thomas are enough to merit the Jets great praise about their history in the round?

If anything, they're due for this decade's second round hit!

1 hour ago, genot said:

Any rumor that the Jets want to trade down to draft those two is a smoke screen. If we're playing a 3-4 base, and we trade Lee, we need an outside linebacker. Much more than those tackles, both of whom have flaws in their game.

Disagree like a 100%.  Williams is being downgraded over panic on his arm measurement and a couple plays in college where he failed to extend to the rusher, when it reality they are ignoring the other 300 times when they did. Defense is purely secondary to offense because of Sam and Darnold. If you listen to some of Gase's interviews he talks about the OL being a WIP.  Nothing more important to the Jets than getting a tackle and center in the draft. Nothing.

52 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Missed that, if that was said, my bad

53 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets are meeting with several OL who are projected to go in the 7-12 range i think it's reasonable to assume that they think they have a decent shot of trading back. 

Honestly, if the Jets end up with a guy they have #7 on their board that they want the most of everyone, for reasons such a positional need/value, even a failure to trade down should not do anything to change what they do.  4 draft slots is not a good enough reason to change your entire plan.  Every year you have team's getting criticized on draft day for taking someone higher than a bunch of media folks' last of 50 different versions of rankings happened to say, while other supposedly high-rated players go plummeting down the board.  In the end, none of it makes a damn bit of difference, or is even remembered, when the move pays off.

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

this doesnt make sense on a few levels.

1. Macc does not have a history of drafting OL early

2. Why would the jets be begging to trade down knowing that only drives trade down value down, if they really wanted to trade down you'd think the reports would be how strong the jets think the top 3-5 are

ill buy it when i see it. it wouldnt be a smart move to pass on a bunch of generational pass rushers for an average interior lineman.

Where does it say in that article that the Jets are begging to trade down?

It basically says what we've all known since the end of the year.  The Jets would be interested and willing to trade down.   It actually then goes on to say that because the Jets didn't sign a pass rusher in free agency,  it may be a tougher decision then originally thought for them to trade down and pass on one of the pass rushers.

I would say this article says the exact opposite of the Jets begging to trade down.  To me, it says they might not be as willing as they were before, because they don't want to pass on one of the pass rushers. 

Which then puts them in a better negotiating position. 

Since the combine, there have been non-stop reports about the New York Jets and their desire to trade down from the third spot in the draft. If they do pull off a trade, who would they target? Below is what league insiders are telling me.

It should come as no surprise that the Jets are trying to trade down from the third slot in the draft. We first reported this story from Indianapolis, and ESPN Jets beat writer Rich Cimini wrote last week that the team will be all ears for any team interested in moving up. 

It may be a little more difficult for the Jets to trade down today than it was a month ago. 

They did not come out of free agency with the pass rusher they desperately need, and it may be tough to trade down if a dominant pass rusher is staring them in the face at No. 3.

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

Where does it say in that article that the Jets are begging to trade down?

It basically says what we've all known since the end of the year.  The Jets would be interested and willing to trade down.   It actually then goes on to say that because the Jets didn't sign a pass rusher in free agency,  it may be a tougher decision then originally thought for them to trade down and pass on one of the pass rushers.

I would say this article says the exact opposite of the Jets begging to trade down.  To me, it says they might not be as willing as they were before, because they don't want to pass on one of the pass rushers. 

Which then puts them in a better negotiating position. 

there have been about 15 different outlets that have reported that the jets are VERY VERY VERY interested in trading down....it borders on begging and the opposite of a poker face.

Archived