Do you think we trade down, or do we stay put?

chrisfaceoff

Do you think we trade down in the 1st round  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we trade down or stay put

• Trade Down
    • Stay at 3

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

but instant starters happen at the top of the draft 

the further down you go, the more developmental the prospect usually gets 

if the Jets can get 1 impact player at 3 it helps more than developing 5 different great prospects. As you say, Mac doesn't have the time 

If the Jets still had a defensive head coach, taking the EDGE at #3 and waiting to address the offense until the third round would be more palatable, but this team is making the shift to offense first with Darnold and Gase. They didn't do enough in free agency for the OL, and maybe did too much on defense with Mosley, and that better positions them to move down in a defensively top-heavy draft. 

The second round is still the top of the draft. Mac, for all his faults, found a starting TE in the fourth round last year. If they can get a second and, perhaps, a third to move down, I think he will even if he doesn't get full internet value. There should be starting OL in the second and third rounds this year. Players at WR and TE who can contribute right away. 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

but instant starters happen at the top of the draft 

the further down you go, the more developmental the prospect usually gets 

if the Jets can get 1 impact player at 3 it helps more than developing 5 different great prospects. As you say, Mac doesn't have the time 

if he can't trade back that will be the trade off, getting a defensive player who could be great but doesn't directly help darnold.  this is the price you pay for trading a lot of draft capital to get a qb.

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't think he'll take an embarrassing trade, but I do think he'll take less than the internet draft pick trade chart to get himself additional picks to fill additional holes this year. I don't remember him getting an extension (maybe I'm wrong) when Gase was signed, which means he's only signed thru 2020. IMO, he's GM'ing for his job, and despite no one coming out and saying it, this year is something of a "playoffs or bust" year. 

I agree here: 

Yes, holes have to be filled and sitting on his hands for over 60 picks between his first and third round picks will be maddening for him. Despite opinions around here, he's not a complete idiot. He understands as well as we all do that the team needs to build around his QB (Bell, Crowder, and Osemele attest to this). He always seemed to defer to his coaches at draft time, and this year he's got an offensive head coach to pull the draft in his direction. Adam Gase is a paradigm shift for a Jets team that hasn't has a head coach from the offensive side of the ball since the 1990s. I think it's safe to assume that came from up high, and supporting him is paramount. Problem is that the top of the draft is all defense unless you're forcing a QB pick. He could trade down and still take defense in the first round, but he needs, at least, a second rounder this year to hit the OL, WR, or TE positions. 

I definitely think this will be a very needs-based draft while he calls it another BAP draft. His job is potentially on the line. 

the interesting scenario would be if they trade back around 10 or so, and then the grades for OL and pass rushers are close, who wins that now that gase in the HC and they have darnold.  

6 minutes ago, slats said:

even if he doesn't get full internet value. There should be starting OL in the second and third rounds this year. Players at WR and TE who can contribute right away. 

A TE who can help right away, sure. Especially with Herndon likely suspended 2 games

Respectfully disagree on WR and OL. It takes years for the wideouts to learn hot routes and the full tree. It takes years for 21-year-old lineboys to become linemen - we forget but even Mangold and Brick had their moments as rookies. 

RB and ILB usually impact quickly (and burn out quickly). The Jets FA precludes big moves at either place 

if there were a Tyron Smith in this draft Mac would be interested but the blue chips are what they are...

Looking at the Super Bowl again, holding the Pats to 13 points (with it being 3-3 for most of the game) isn't such a terrible job by Rams defense. My personal hope is they luck into Bosa or Williams with Oliver as the backup plan and pair with Leo, use 2 inside guys to get to Brady using inside pressure .. or at least make them account for it and rush the short passes. Oliver plus Leo or Williamsx2 either way is scary inside rush 

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Respectfully disagree on WR and OL. It takes years for the wideouts to learn hot routes and the full tree. It takes years for 21-year-old lineboys to become linemen - we forget but even Mangold and Brick had their moments as rookies. 

As far WRs go, I said contribute, not start. If they land one of these 6'5" dudes in the third round, they'll be able to coach him up and get him on the field a few snaps a game, particularly red zone/third down situations. Maybe filling a bigger void than you'd originally hoped after an injury. It's a position that needs bolstering on the Jets. 

And yeah, we disagree on the OL, I guess. I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to find a Day One interior line starter or two on the second day of the draft. These kids on the OL are often the smartest guys on the team, understand team concepts, and take well to coaching. 

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

My personal hope is they luck into Bosa or Williams with Oliver as the backup plan and pair with Leo, use 2 inside guys to get to Brady using inside pressure .. or at least make them account for it and rush the short passes. Oliver plus Leo or Williamsx2 either way is scary inside rush 

I vacillate here. It's my prediction that Mac will do everything he can, including take less, to trade down this year and add a precious day two pick or two. On the one hand, I fully understand the value of a stud at any position of value, on the other, these guys -as always- aren't coming out without warts of their own. Do you put all your #3 overall eggs into Bosa's somewhat injury-prone basket, or do you try to stretch it out over a few positions of need. I fully admit to being able to change my mind here on a daily basis. 

Today, I think my preference is a move down for a nice package (hey now!) that includes a first next year. Even if that means moving past the 10th pick this year. But I'll go back and fourth right up until the time they pick. 

23 hours ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Personally, I would like to move down, but I think ultimately we stay put

This is exactly how I feel. And I think Macc feels the same way- but the offer will not be good enough for him to rationalize passing on a guy like Bosa, Allen or QW. I think the Jets end up with one of those, most likely Allen. 

57 minutes ago, slats said:

If the Jets still had a defensive head coach, taking the EDGE at #3 and waiting to address the offense until the third round would be more palatable, but this team is making the shift to offense first with Darnold and Gase. They didn't do enough in free agency for the OL, and maybe did too much on defense with Mosley, and that better positions them to move down in a defensively top-heavy draft. 

The second round is still the top of the draft. Mac, for all his faults, found a starting TE in the fourth round last year. If they can get a second and, perhaps, a third to move down, I think he will even if he doesn't get full internet value. There should be starting OL in the second and third rounds this year. Players at WR and TE who can contribute right away. 

I honestly think the Jets coaching staff views the talent they have on the Offense as considerably better than how the fans see it, including O-line. And if you are thinking about a C, the Jets WILL be able to get a starting caliber C with their EARLY third round pick. I also don't think Harrison is so bad that the Jets need to push the panic button and trade down for lesser value just so they can have a second rounder and get the TOP C prospect. 

They will stay at 3 and take Allen, QW or Bosa UNLESS they get a great offer to move down. JMHO.   

Archived