Jets Sign QB Brandon Silvers

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-sign-qb-brandon-silvers

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2019 08:35 AM
Jets Sign QB Brandon Silvers

Ethan Greenberg
TEAM REPORTER

Wade Payne/Associated Press
The Jets have signed quarterback Brandon Silvers.
Silvers last played for the Memphis Express of the AAF and threw for 777 yards, four touchdowns and one interception in three starts.
In four years at Troy University, the 6’3”, 219-pounder completed 64.4% of his passes while throwing for 10,677 yards (second in school history), 71 touchdowns and 29 interceptions.
A former three-star recruit, Silvers was a four-year starter for the Trojans and was named to the Sun Belt Conference All-Newcomer Team as a freshman after completing 70.5% of his passes, breaking Sam Bradford’s NCAA record for best completion percentage for a freshman quarterback. Silvers was an honorable all-conference mention as a sophomore and earned first-team All-Sun Belt honors as a junior. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to keep trying to help the team with assets at QB, since we lost a few higher picks, and did recoup one 3rd rounder with a trade of one. Silvers would be a 4th QB, but maybe there is a team willing to trade something for Webb based on potential. That would give us some trade pieces in Lee, Webb, etc. maybe for this draft to pick up more draft capital.

I'm not sure why everyone is so convinced that Davis Webb is a lock to make the team ahead of Silvers.  Webb is a guy who was cut by the team that drafted him and couldn't make it off the practice squad of a bad Jets team last year, who is now playing for coaches that have never seen him.  It's not crazy to think Silvers wins the 3rd QB job; even if he doesn't, he may end up with a practice squad spot.

• Upvote 3
13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Didn’t know that.  Thanks.  

Yeah, can't find the article right now but read that Gase is changing some things up from what the Jets have done in the past.  doing away with the rookie mini-camp was one of them

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Yeah, can't find the article right now but read that Gase is changing some things up from what the Jets have done in the past.  doing away with the rookie mini-camp was one of them

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/08/jets-will-not-have-rookie-minicamp-following-2019-nfl-draft/

He's doing a 4 day "rookie orientation" that's all classroom work/playbook study.  Given that the playbook will be new to the vets, too, and there's no risk of injury, I actually like this approach (though it does prevent you from auditioning "tryout" players)

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/08/jets-will-not-have-rookie-minicamp-following-2019-nfl-draft/

He's doing a 4 day "rookie orientation" that's all classroom work/playbook study.  Given that the playbook will be new to the vets, too, and there's no risk of injury, I actually like this approach (though it does prevent you from auditioning "tryout" players)

I'm not sure if I totally agree with this, but at least they're doing something with the time they have, so curious to see how that goes.  At the very least, with how little offseason time team's get these days, you have to make every moment count.  Apparently Gase thinks this is a more efficient use of that time, so we'll see how that works out.

As far as Silvers goes, this is the time of the year that you might as well bring in any guy you have even the slightest bit of interest in that may be available, as you have a number of roster spots still empty, and plenty of time to move things around.  I agree with others' points here that it wouldn't be overly surprising if he ended up battling it out with Webb for the #3 job, or considered for a PS spot, but on the other hand he could just as easily be gone in a few weeks from now if they end up scooping up a better prospect as an undrafted rookie to do all of that instead.  I'm sure they don't even really know how it will work out over the next few months, but in the meantime no problem working with the options you have now.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Was wondering if the team could still bring in 50 or so "tryout" players who are non-union, not under contract, or covered by the CBA for a minicamp.

If they can't seems like you get into some "right to work" union conflicts.  IDK, just wondering

the guy didn't do too badly albeit at a low division school and then started playing in what amounted to a semi-pro league.  you can't fault the guy for trying to keep playing.  there have been a number of good qb's that came into the league as other than qb and finally managed to have pretty good careers.  joe theisman was one and so was rich gannon.  it happens.  passion for a sport goes a long way to being a good player.

I'm not sure why everyone is so convinced that Davis Webb is a lock to make the team ahead of Silvers.  Webb is a guy who was cut by the team that drafted him and couldn't make it off the practice squad of a bad Jets team last year, who is now playing for coaches that have never seen him.  It's not crazy to think Silvers wins the 3rd QB job; even if he doesn't, he may end up with a practice squad spot.

Davis Webb sücks. Silvers is much better then Webb.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app