Ty Montgomery to Jets

Patriot Killa

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Cap space. Which need did it fill? C, edge rusher, cb2, ol depth?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

We upgraded our backup RB position with a guy whose skillset is closer to the star RB we already signed in FA. He's not nearly as good as Bell but he can more easily fill in the same offensive role than any RB we already had on the roster. What is the cap hit you're so worried about? He's probably not getting paid much for a vet.

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We need to draft OL no wasting picks on a RB this was a good move. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you... this was a GREAT move for the very reasons you cite.

Indeed some folks here would be complaining if we acquired Jim Brown in his prime.......

19 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Cap space. Which need did it fill? C, edge rusher, cb2, ol depth?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I think it shows foresight that this offense NEEDS to have a safety-blanket Darnold can rely on. I’m unlike most in that I actually like McGuire, but this is clearly a move to insure their latest addition with an upgrade on a (relatively) unproven. It’s a save-face move if Bell gets hurt, and a proven RB1/2 at that. I recall a couple FF weeks where Montgomery was the back to have! 

The fact that he can step into a starting WR spot should the draft fall a certain way, even better. 

(On edit: and by that I mean that one game in 2016...CHI)

It’s a one year deal, he’s a young guy as a 2015 draft pick, has experience and some versatility as a receiver. For those reasons, I like the move. I’m assuming the price is reasonable. It’s good to have a guy with several years of NFL experience behind Bell and ahead of Mcguire. Our hope has to be that Mcguire takes another step this year and can legitimately earn RB2 next season. I would rather wait a couple more years before drafting a RB early to replace Bell when his contract approaches expiration. 

2 hours ago, Stark said:

seriously, what value does McGuire have? I don't see anything out of him. To me this is a guy that JETS fans hoped would turn into something that he hasn't and I don't think he will.

In all seriousness what do you think you can get for McGuire? A 6?

I guess I could see us trying to trade him I just don't know why any team would trade for him.

You could probably use him and a 7th to move into the 5th. Maybe

52 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Oh no. Paradise didn't get his way. He wanted Ezekiel Elliott to back up Bell. Stupid MacCagnan... 

Some of you guys sure know how to polish a turd and call it a diamond. What's great about it?  He got traded from GB because he sucked. They had injuries and suspensions last year at RB and Ty couldn't do anything but fall forward into an injury... fack atta here with this Jets apologist approach.

39 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

One dimensional? Please explain how he's one dimensional. I'm not saying he's a star or anything but he's versatile if nothing else.

Uh, he can't run the ball past a DT with cement feet? He's at best 3rd down back who can offer mediocre ability to catch and run.,. gee, we just paid Bell how much to do that?

25 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you... this was a GREAT move for the very reasons you cite.

Indeed some folks here would be complaining if we acquired Jim Brown in his prime.......

How can you say that with a straight face?

• He worse than McGuire at everything at RB does, sauf maybe pass pro
  • We already have Cannon and Bellamy and Peake competing for roster wasting space on ST.. we need another?
  • He can't punch in against 5 man box. He's not a better 3rd down option than Bell... so wtf is this going to besides wasting my team on JN?

This guy can catch out of the backfield & run between the tackles, he got hurt getting too many carries because the Packers entire backfield got hurt the last few years. He's backing up a stud RB & you guys are moaning like chicks. This site is getting ridiculous.

Montgomery was a WR at Stanford and transitioned to RB:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ty-montgomery?id=2552429

OVERVIEW

Played in the 2015 Senior Bowl, finishing with two kick returns for 49 yards. In 2014, selected second-team All-Pac-12 (all purpose) and honorable mention wide receiver. Missed two games due to shoulder injury. Had shoulder surgery in the offseason. In 2013, selected second-team All-American (all purpose) and second-team All-Pac-12. Led the team in receptions, receiving yards and touchdown receptions. Led all qualified FBS returners in kick-return average. Missed three games in 2012 with a knee injury. Led team in kick and punt return averages in 2012 and 2011. Selected honorable mention All-Pac-12 in 2011. Lettered in football, baseball and lacrosse in high school.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.5 and 4.51 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Built like a full-grown man. Body type resembles that of a running back with well-defined, muscular legs. Foot quickness to create separation on short to intermediate routes. Played outside, from slot, as a tailback and as a wildcat quarterback. Displays good lateral movement and balance with ball in his hands. Works to be a plus run blocker. Has size and determination to be used to crack-block ends. Good, not great run-after-catch potential. Scouts believe he can be a Pro Bowl returner. Scored four times over last two seasons as a returner. Strong personal character and considered an "accountable teammate" by coaching staff.

WEAKNESSES

Doesn't display natural wide receiver characteristics. Needs more than just polish with routes and must incorporate route diversity at some point. Averaged just 9.9 yards per catch in 2014. Extremely suspect hands with 16 drops and three fumbles over his last three seasons. Allows throws to get on top of him. Hands lack supple qualities and his catch radius is smaller than desired. His confidence has been questioned by scouting community. His body of work as a receiver hasn't matched his physical potential. Has had only one season of significant touchdown production. Tightly wound with scouts questioning if he's too muscled.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 3 or 4

NFL COMPARISON

Cordarrelle Patterson

BOTTOM LINE

Montgomery is a likable person with high character and an ability to leave a positive impression in draft interviews, but teams will still have to figure out how they want to use him. His hands might not be trustworthy enough to be part of a three-wide-receiver set. Montgomery can flip fields and change games with his ability in the return game and might be best-utilized in a dynamic, open-minded offensive system that gets the ball in his hands quickly and allows him to use his run after catch talents.

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Like the signing. He started as a WR and switched to RB after GB was decimated by injury.  Not the best between the tackle runner but can make plays in space and serve as a good outlet for Sam

This. Gotta add the weapons available. Not drafting well forces the issue. Interesting thing with the additions we’ve made is we’re set up to attack the middle of the field in a way we haven’t done well in decades.

I can’t believe people want to cut cannon. I would cut McGuire first before cannon. Cannon has speed playmaking ability you can’t teach. Give the dude time to develop. He will do what Wilson did on the fins. he had drops but I think he will get better remember he was a late pick from a small college. Those kinda players need a year or two to adjust, just like Nathan Shepherd needs a year or two like cannon. God jets fans need every draft pick to be probowl starter week one and no mistakes or else they are a bust cut them. Smh ...Got to have a little patience.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I thought that from the first mention of Montgomery.  Then everyone here hasa been gushing about this.  I think it's a waste of a roster spot, time and and money.  Only I wasn't brave enough to say so while everyone else is patting Maccagnan on the back over it.  Ptui.

Waste of a roster spot?

No one is saying Montgomery is an elite player, but he has been a productive NFL player, who was on a team that couldn't figure out how to use their RBs.  He is not a 20 carry guy, but hes an excellent receiver and can play special teams.

You know what else Ty Montgomery is - COMPETITION.  Eli McGuire, Cannon and him are now in a dog fight to make this team and that is good for everyone.  It will keep competition high on the team, which is something we have really missed.  Either that orsSomeone will get hurt so we will have an extra RB who knows the system.

Also - who is complaining about cap space - Id be shocked if hes making over $2million

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

HOLY FCK 

PGRT1287.JPG

?

maybe 7th.

tomlinson. Ivory. Thomas Jones. Little Leon. Forte?

And several of them were just for a couple year or on end of the career. Get over it bro. I’m right or just about. Jets history or rb = meh and Montgomery at least has some wiggle

4 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

?

maybe 7th.

tomlinson. Ivory. Thomas Jones. Little Leon. Forte?

And several of them were just for a couple year or on end of the career. Get over it bro. I’m right or just about. Jets history or rb = meh and Montgomery at least has some wiggle

yea really? does he have so much wiggle that a team predicated on passing the ball shipped him out for a bag of chips - onto another team who had even less talent at RB last year than we did -- and he couldn't get on the field? That much wiggle?

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm not watching a fan made sizzle reel. I watched him play in real life. If he had any mustard to punch the ball through a line, that disappeared 2 seasons ago.

GB got rid of him. Do you understand that? A team with no establish RB at the time, who passed the ball 80% of the team happily got rid of him for nothing... to another team where he saw... 10 snaps total? 

He's done. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

yea really? does he have so much wiggle that a team predicated on passing the ball shipped him out for a bag of chips - onto another team who had even less talent at RB last year than we did -- and he couldn't get on the field? That much wiggle?

I don't think half of JN has a clue what they're talking about. He's a name y'all remember from Fantasy Ball or highlights from 2 years ago for 2 games with Rodgers -- and y'all think we just "Solidified our RB room"

Lol 

COP back. Look it up. 

Wrong. I wanted to draft him out of Stanford in mid rounds.

The dude can play 2 spots. We needed a reliable backup at RB and we also needed a guy who can play as receiver.

He’s a backup for us and a very good one. 

Archived