Matt Miller - QW is the top rated player in the draft

Throughout my eight years covering the NFLdraft for Bleacher Report, I've had many debates over which player was the best. Jared Goff or Carson Wentz? I picked Goff. Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III? I picked Luck. The terrible 2013 debate over Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel—in which I picked wrong and took Joeckel.

Why the history lesson? Because I'm flipping my pick for the top player in the 2019 NFL draft class.

Welcome to No. 1, Quinnen Williams. 

A change this late in the process deserves an explanation. It's not as simple as a handful of general managers telling me I'm wrong—in fact, many I talked to said the opposite about my original pick—but more about going with what the evaluation says. What makes Williams the better prospect? It boiled down to two factors:

1. Nick Bosa has incurred two injuries in four years.

A core muscle injury suffered in Week 3 shut Bosa down for the rest of the 2018 college football season. And while many will point to the belief he could have returned to the Buckeyes had they made the College Football Playoff, it's still a season-ending setback that must be evaluated. Bosa, as a senior in high school, also injured his knee and had surgery to repair a partially torn ACL.

Nick Bosa's still an elite, No. 1-worthy talent, but his durability is a concern.
Nick Bosa's still an elite, No. 1-worthy talent, but his durability is a concern.Jamie Sabau/Getty Images

Injured players have a way of staying injured. It's the same reason D.K. Metcalf and Marquise Brown take hits on my big board. Two fairly major injuries in four seasons is enough to bump Bosa just enough to let Williams overtake him. 

2. Quinnen Williams hasn't reached his potential.

A first-year starter as a redshirt sophomore, Williams played well enough that he should have received serious Heisman Trophy consideration in 2018. His eight sacks and 19.5 tackles for a loss showed his dominance, and at only 21 years old as of December 21, Williams is still growing and developing as a player.

It's easy to look at Bosa and see a grown man who is already at his physical peak thanks to years of training with his brother, Joey (No. 3 overall pick, 2016 draft), and father, John (No. 16 overall pick, 1987 draft). Bosa hit the genetic lottery and comes from a long line of football players. We have a good idea of who Nick can be thanks to Joey, who has also suffered injuries.

With Williams, there is no known ceiling. He has the athleticism, work ethic and strength to continue to improve. You hear the term "maxed out" in scouting. Bosa is maxed out. Williams is just getting started.
  • Sympathy 1

"We fielded some interest in the pick, but no team offered a package of picks enticing enough to get us to come off our selection at 3. Quinnen was the top overall player on our board and we are thrilled to come out of the draft with him. We think he's a building block for our defense. Gregg in particularly felt strongly about taking Quinnen and looked like a kid in a candy store when we handed the card in. Our whole organization can't wait to bring Quinnen into the building and get to work."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, derp said:

"We fielded some interest in the pick, but no team offered a package of picks enticing enough to get us to come off our selection at 3. Quinnen was the top overall player on our board and we are thrilled to come out of the draft with him. We think he's a building block for our defense. Gregg in particularly felt strongly about taking Quinnen and looked like a kid in a candy store when we handed the card in. Our whole organization can't wait to bring Quinnen into the building and get to work."

Forgot to add....."this is a process."?

• Upvote 1

After watching a ton of film on Williams recently I can see Miller's point.  He showed an excellent
ability to beat inside double teams with speed & technique.  Within tight quarters he was able to
consistently destroy blocking schemes and blow up plays.  If he was flipped to DE and had more space
to operate he could develop into a terror  

• Upvote 2

I get everyone being snakebitten and bored of DL. But Quinnen is an animal who can be a top defender in this league for a decade.

If Bosa falls to 3, I won’t hate if we take him, but I’d rather trade out if possible. If its between Quinnen and Josh Allen, I can’t hate either pick.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

Damn dude. I need a drink. 

• Haha 1

This is why Mac is paid a lot of money.  He needs to figure this out.

Leo was the top rated player on the board, made it to 6 where the Jets “stole” him, and then he has proceeded to bumble along playing as a 3-4 DE.  

My personal view is that great college DTs tend to get over graded because they are playing against opponents 2nd best linemen.  When they reach the NFL only a few of them, like Aaron Donald or Warren Sapp, can stand out.

If we think Quinnen will be that good fo are long time, we should take him and build a defense around him.  But Leo was not-the feeling of most is that he is not worth his 5th year option contract, and that Mac hit that to save face and hope he has a great contract year.  

If Mac passes on Quinnen, and he is an All Pro while Josh Allen is ok, that will be just another reason for Mac to be replaced.  I personally wish someone else was making this decision.  I hope that Gregg Williams is involved.  

1 hour ago, KRL said:

After watching a ton of film on Williams recently I can see Miller's point.  He showed an excellent
ability to beat inside double teams with speed & technique. 

how hard is that, when you're up by 20 in the 2nd quarter, and the other team is passing on 80% of the plays, desperately trying to keep up.

That's a DT's wet dream. 

Alabama played 2 competitive games all year. 

I'm sorry, but context with Q and his 1 year of production needs to be respected - and i don't see anywhere, in any discussion. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

how hard is that, when you're up by 20 in the 2nd quarter, and the other team is passing on 80% of the plays, desperately trying to keep up.

That's a DT's wet dream. 

Alabama played 2 competitive games all year. 

I'm sorry, but context with Q and his 1 year of production needs to be respected - and i don't see anywhere, in any discussion. 

Fair point

7 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

IMO he's spot on with the "No known ceiling" but with the Heisman talk.... errr NO.

I don’t know, “no known ceiling” suggests that he’s headed towards being an all-time great.   I just don’t see that kind of player, high floor, but it’s getting a little out of hand IMO.  

• Upvote 1

Honestly? I think Williams is already pretty near his ceiling. He has unbelievable technique, so I don't see how much more he is going to improve in that area. He is also not an elite athlete. I think he has a very high floor (I think Sheldon is his floor), but the hyperbole surrounding him is getting out of hand. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I don’t know, “no known ceiling” suggests that he’s headed towards being an all-time great.   I just don’t see that kind of player, high floor, but it’s getting a little out of hand IMO.  

I assume Miller meant that since Q had only played the 1 year there was an expectation of him vastly improving as he gained experience.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Honestly? I think Williams is already pretty near his ceiling. He has unbelievable technique, so I don't see how much more he is going to improve in that area. He is also not an elite athlete. I think he has a very high floor (I think Sheldon is his floor), but the hyperbole surrounding him is getting out of hand. 

Typical of the weeks leading up to the draft, Watch a bunch of crap come out about certain players the next 2 weeks and their draft stock plunge. It's mostly BS.

• Sympathy 2

Williams became the best prospect at the combine 

im not sure anymore if he makes total sense for the jets as far as fit and utilization tho 

the lies are all the teams saying how awesome the QBs are 

williams probably goes first or second 

On 4/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, Larz said:

Williams became the best prospect at the combine 

Was it his 30" vert or his just over 9' broad jump that led you to this conclusion? He had a good combine for his size but he still hasn't tested at anything important. 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:16 PM, johnnysd said:

Would be one of the dumbest picks ever. He DISAPPEARED in the playoffs and in no way shape or form do we need yet another DL. No. Just fuk no.

Peyton Manning was bad in every bowl game he played in college I heard he was ok in the nfl

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Was it his 30" vert or his just over 9' broad jump that led you to this conclusion? He had a good combine for his size but he still hasn't tested at anything important. 

The 4.87 40 for an interior DL

This guy was a monster on the football field in college this year.  His technique is that of a Veteran and his intelligence and ability to read defenses is off the charts the jets will screw this up and pass on him and it’s going to be a mistake

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The 4.87 40 for an interior DL

This guy was a monster on the football field in college this year.  His technique is that of a Veteran and his intelligence and ability to read defenses is off the charts the jets will screw this up and pass on him and it’s going to be a mistake

He was a one year wonder that refused to do the important drills that measure athleticism because he has a smart agent. He wouldn't even do them at his pro day. 

Also too add: Matt Miller

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, RobR said:

He was a one year wonder that refused to do the important drills that measure athleticism because he has a smart agent. He wouldn't even do them at his pro day. 

Exactly.   Q. Williams is becoming one of the more over-hyped prospects we have seen recently.  Not doing those drills is smart when you know you aren’t going to blow anyone away while doing them.  That should be a concern if you are projecting this guy to be some sort of generational IDL prospect.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.   Q. Williams is becoming one of the more over-hyped prospects we have seen recently.  Not doing those drills is smart when you know you aren’t going to blow anyone away while doing them.  That should be a concern if you are projecting this guy to be some sort of generational IDL prospect.  

Did Q.Williams play vs.Clemson?? Austin Bryant getting lots of love lately.

9 hours ago, RobR said:

And if he played another season you would call him a two year wonder

53 minutes ago, section314 said:

Did Q.Williams play vs.Clemson?? Austin Bryant getting lots of love lately.

I rewatched his tape against Clemson and he played better than some people will lead you to believe. That being said, I agree with Rob's sentiment. I had not even noticed how many parts of the workout he skipped until Rob mentioned it. 

One of my favorite narratives is how some of the Williams hive is trying to knock Bosa for a perceived "lack of elite athleticism". How the f*ck do they know what kind of athlete Williams is when he won't even participate in the testing?

• Upvote 3