Matt Miller - QW is the top rated player in the draft

Bronxville Jets Fan

Obviously I am no scout but if I had to choose a defensive player I think Oliver is the best and then Allen. Though neither are guaranteed. I thin Bosa and Williams are much much bigger question marks. I am stil very very much in favor of trading down. If we could somehow get tackle and center like we did in 2006 it would be the best scenario.

jmo, but for those that think that doing lame drills  at a combine is the #1 prerequisite for determining if a player should be drafted in the top tier, while putting aside his performance on the field,  does Gholston ring a bell? He was a workout freak of nature but his disappearing act on the field in college was well documented. 

Williams is a football player - high motor 100% all for every play player - that should account for his status more than combine figures. I''m not saying that he's a 100% sure fire 1st year Pro Bowler or Hall of Famer - there's no way to judge that.  But I'll take him any day and twice on Sundays over a player that's had 2 nasty injuries - one being partially torn  ACL in his knee.  That's a more a red flag than not participating in some meaningless drills.

4 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

jmo, but for those that think that doing lame drills  at a combine is the #1 prerequisite for determining if a player should be drafted in the top tier, while putting aside his performance on the field,  does Gholston ring a bell? He was a workout freak of nature but his disappearing act on the field in college was well documented. 

Williams is a football player - high motor 100% all for every play player - that should account for his status more than combine figures. I''m not saying that he's a 100% sure fire 1st year Pro Bowler or Hall of Famer - there's no way to judge that.  But I'll take him any day and twice on Sundays over a player that's had 2 nasty injuries - one being partially torn  ACL in his knee.  That's a more a red flag than not participating in some meaningless drills.

Keep ******* saying it.  It doesn't make it true.  Gholston had a better college career than Quinnen ******* Williams, so all you watch the tape ****ers can get bent.  Do you know how people knew that Gholston would bust?  His ******* combine numbers.  His explosive power numbers weren't high enough to make up for his poor twitch numbers.  He is literally at the top of the "extreme caution" list.  Meanwhile, Quinnen WIlliams refused to run any agility events.  Considering how mediocre he was in the jumps, his agility numbers must be atrocious.  No red flag there?

On 4/12/2019 at 11:24 AM, derp said:

"We fielded some interest in the pick, but no team offered a package of picks enticing enough to get us to come off our selection at 3. Quinnen was the top overall player on our board and we are thrilled to come out of the draft with him. We think he's a building block for our defense. Gregg in particularly felt strongly about taking Quinnen and looked like a kid in a candy store when we handed the card in. Our whole organization can't wait to bring Quinnen into the building and get to work."

"We liked *insert future Hall of Famer here* quite a bit, but Quinnen was the top rated player on our board and we felt he was the best fit for the Jets."

3 hours ago, Bomberjet said:

Except Gholston was highly productive, had bad twitch metrics. And Quinnen has an average motor. He doesn’t chase plays outside the pocket, Richardson has a great motor and he was constantly chasing plays away from him.

I have no doubt that this guy is a decent player but being 'the best player in the draft' is misleading if the draft is not top heavy.

Leo williams was the best player in the draft.

Will Q Williams be pretty good?  Yes, is he a must have dominant guy?  Not in my books at all.  We also need an edge rusher far more than an interior guy.

If you are determined to take a totally disruptive dlineman and not a pure edge guy go oliver.

The thing I'll agree with is that Bosa seems much closer to his ceiling than Williams.  I think Nick Bosa has been trained, groomed, learned from his brother so much that there won't be much more upside to him with NFL coaching.  He's closer to being tapped out than Q. Williams in my opinion.  When you combine that with the injury history and pedigree (his brother) I really start to hope that Bosa is off the Board by #3.  I'd put both Josh Allen and Q. Williams ahead of Bosa.

On 4/17/2019 at 12:27 PM, johnnysd said:

Obviously I am no scout but if I had to choose a defensive player I think Oliver is the best and then Allen. Though neither are guaranteed. I thin Bosa and Williams are much much bigger question marks. I am stil very very much in favor of trading down. If we could somehow get tackle and center like we did in 2006 it would be the best scenario.

Ed Oliver has almost become an afterthought in the Top 10 at this point.  He was most experts' expected #1 about 12-18 months ago and now seems to have really fallen.  I wouldn't mind in the slightest if we traded to down to 6, 7 or 8 and ended up with Ed.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Ed Oliver has almost become an afterthought in the Top 10 at this point.  He was most experts' expected #1 about 12-18 months ago and now seems to have really fallen.  I wouldn't mind in the slightest if we traded to down to 6, 7 or 8 and ended up with Ed.

Turnonthejets.com has a film breakdown of both Williams and Oliver.  The thing I noticed is that Oliver simply bursts straight off the line, if he beats his guy with speed or power, hes fine, if he doesnt he gets washed completely out of the play.  Williams doesnt do that, he actually starts on his heels more than his toes, and reads the guard/center for a split second before deciding where he is going to go.  He does that and is still quick/strong enough to make a ton of plays behind the LOS.  That is a skill that can allow a player to be elite, as opposed to being strong enough to dominate in college, but not in the pros.

Peronsally, Oliver to me should be a DE and not an interior DL because unless he improves his technique hes going to become to easy to block.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think the pundits feel like this but I don’t buy that it’s true for the teams. 

Dream scenario....Q.Williams is there at 3 & we draft him...plus Macc finds a way to obtain Frank Clark!

Jets add TRUE experienced PROVEN pass rusher & Quinnen & Leo are beasts pushing each other and Leo excels Playing at 100% like his new neighbor.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Turnonthejets.com has a film breakdown of both Williams and Oliver.  The thing I noticed is that Oliver simply bursts straight off the line, if he beats his guy with speed or power, hes fine, if he doesnt he gets washed completely out of the play.  Williams doesnt do that, he actually starts on his heels more than his toes, and reads the guard/center for a split second before deciding where he is going to go.  He does that and is still quick/strong enough to make a ton of plays behind the LOS.  That is a skill that can allow a player to be elite, as opposed to being strong enough to dominate in college, but not in the pros.

Peronsally, Oliver to me should be a DE and not an interior DL because unless he improves his technique hes going to become to easy to block.

Good post.  Thanks for sharing that.  Are you saying that had the Jets not re-signed Henry Anderson then Oliver might be a good 3-4 DE?  If that's the case and Ed has some limitations as you stated then he may not be a good fit here.

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Keep ******* saying it.  It doesn't make it true.  Gholston had a better college career than Quinnen ******* Williams, so all you watch the tape ****ers can get bent.  Do you know how people knew that Gholston would bust?  His ******* combine numbers.  His explosive power numbers weren't high enough to make up for his poor twitch numbers.  He is literally at the top of the "extreme caution" list.  Meanwhile, Quinnen WIlliams refused to run any agility events.  Considering how mediocre he was in the jumps, his agility numbers must be atrocious.  No red flag there?

Well, my recollection from the time that scouts were commenting on Ghoslton, he had the propensity for putting on a disappearing act. Perhaps it was more to it than that - maybe after signing up with all that money he never saw before in his life, the fight ran out of him. He certainly played like it.

Regarding Q, it's more than enough for me to judge football a player on the field against good competition than for him to dunk a basketball, u think?  Would the Jets have drafted Namath with his knee condition if he attended?

19 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Except Gholston was highly productive, had bad twitch metrics. And Quinnen has an average motor. He doesn’t chase plays outside the pocket, Richardson has a great motor and he was constantly chasing plays away from him.

I'm not so sure about that from the films I've seen , average motor?  From the description by scouts, I wouldn't be sure because you can't be called 'average motor' and not be able to be noted for these qualities:

• Dominating defender
  • Can take over games
  • Intimidating presence
  • Superb pass-rusher
  • Repertoire of pass-rushing moves
  • Explosive
  • Very fast interior defensive lineman
  • Strong hands
  • Surprising strength with bull rush
  • Closes on quarterbacks in a hurry
  • Excellent get-off
  • Fast feet
  • Splash plays
  • Extremely disruptive
  • Very skilled at shedding blocks
  • Natural pad level
  • Good run-defender
  • Anchors well in run defense
  • Lateral anchor
  • Very strong; has natural strength
  • Can hold his ground versus double teams
  • Can beat double teams and still make big plays
  • Works upfield
  • Very strong for his size
  • Plays with good leverage
  • Good motor
  • Instinctive
  • Awareness
  • Durable
  • Well conditioned
  • Frees up tackles, edge rushers and linebackers
  • Upside; could get better with experience
  • Incredible athlete for a big, thick defender

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Good post.  Thanks for sharing that.  Are you saying that had the Jets not re-signed Henry Anderson then Oliver might be a good 3-4 DE?  If that's the case and Ed has some limitations as you stated then he may not be a good fit here.

Im very against Oliver on the Jets.  Not sure where he fits exactly, and hes someone who has had his motor questioned a lot (maybe he didnt want to get hurt this year, but who knows).  He just seems like someone who needs to just tee off and attack the backfield on every play, and a DT who does that is to susceptible to traps, etc.

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We should get this guy!

1025398913_ScreenShot2019-04-19at10_08_46AM.png.7adff1e2c3d25a6b67b62f4fc5e8d01e.png

EDIT: My bad.  We already have him as this is Leo Williams' scouting report.

I like the "can use hands and feet at the same time". Dafuq 

I think draftniks tend to overstate the importance of run defense for defensive tackles. Not that it’s considered more important than pass rushing, but it’s xloset to 50/50 than it should be. The sport so passing game driven at this point the defensive tackles who get big deals are the ones who can impact the passing game from the interior of the defensive line.

It’s absolutely important to contribute to stopping the run - but to me that’s more of a team thing. People associate DT’s with run defense and it becomes a more important part of their evaluation than it should.

I have no doubt Quinnen Williams is an excellent defensive tackle prospect - but I don’t think he’s going to wreck passing games from the interior and if I were to guess he’s not going to get a huge second contract for that reason. To me that’s enough reason to stay away. He’s the guy I most hope is off the board before 3.

14 hours ago, Jetster said:

Dream scenario....Q.Williams is there at 3 & we draft him...plus Macc finds a way to obtain Frank Clark!

Jets add TRUE experienced PROVEN pass rusher & Quinnen & Leo are beasts pushing each other and Leo excels Playing at 100% like his new neighbor.

If Mac figures out a way to get both QW and Clark he deserves the Nobel

Archived