Trading next years pick for picks this year.

Jamax99

Would you guys trade next years 1 for a high 2nd this year and next year.   Miami is in rebuild mode they want a QB next year . If we gave them our 1  which I Think jets will win 8-9 games , should be a 17-20 range , Miami should be bad , and have high 2nd .  We take Eric MCcoy or ELgton jenkins , that solves center problem for next 10 years. . If not that use next years 1st to get into bottom of this years   and grab Garret Bradbury. ?

Do you, as a Jets fan, want to be responsible for Miami finding their next QB?  For a 2nd round pick that we'll probably blow anyway because when was the last time we didn't, and the lost opportunity on a 1st round pick next year that could still be towards the top of the draft?

I wouldn't, you just never know what could happen.  If Trevor Simiens ends up starting 10 games or some other iteration of disaster.  Next year's draft will have a great WR class as well - you just never know.

I like the idea of filling a hole immediately, especially one that would help Sam.  But yeah, no.

I find it interesting that the NFL has never developed the concept of protected picks like the NBA.  For example, there's no reason a team couldn't trade a playoff protected pick (1st round if they make playoffs, 2nd round if not).  It would give teams more flexibility in crafting a trade involving future picks.  

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d actually trade the Dolphins the #3 pick this year for their first rounder (plus) next year because 1. The Dolphins are awful and 2. This year’s first round is bleak. 

Imagine if Miami pick is top 4 next year with all the highly anticipated QB's coming out? We could cash in.... but that will never happen because we are the Jets.

Stay and pick a top prospect or trade down for additional picks this year.

27 minutes ago, Jamax99 said:

Would you guys trade next years 1 for a high 2nd this year and next year.   Miami is in rebuild mode they want a QB next year . If we gave them our 1  which I Think jets will win 8-9 games , should be a 17-20 range , Miami should be bad , and have high 2nd .  We take Eric MCcoy or ELgton jenkins , that solves center problem for next 10 years. . If not that use next years 1st to get into bottom of this years   and grab Garret Bradbury. ?

1. C is not THAT major of an issue that the Jets need to make huge trades like this to solve it. Harrison was solid backing up Long. Do they need to upgrade? YES. Should they draft a C at some point? Probably. But the Jets don't NEED to trade their 3rd overall draft pick just because they are desperate for a C. Jet fans need to get that out of their heads. Nobody in Jets FO is thinking that way or approaching the draft that way. 

2. Why would the Jets want to help Miami lang a stud franchise QB? 

3. McCoy and/or Jenkins and/or another solid C prospect will almost definitely be there early in round 3. And if they really liked a C prospect and thought he might go in the second round, they could always use their early 3rd, a 4th this year and a 4th next year to move up and get him. Probably not gonna happen, but it's surely more rational than trading away their first round pick next year to get into the second round.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d actually trade the Dolphins the #3 pick this year for their first rounder (plus) next year because 1. The Dolphins are awful and 2. This year’s first round is bleak. 

It's not if you are where the Jets are, picking in the top 3. This year you have 3 excellent prospects in Bosa, Allen and QW and you have a couple of QBs that teams MAY want to trade for. It's almost impossible to go wrong. Nothing is certain or guaranteed in the draft. But the Jets are in the driver's seat. It would be hard for them to muck this up. So as I have been saying from the start, they should stay pat unless they get a HAUL to move down. 

56 minutes ago, Jamax99 said:

Its rare to trade within your own division. 

Just now, PepPep said:

It's not if you are where the Jets are, picking in the top 3. This year you have 3 excellent prospects in Bosa, Allen and QW and you have a couple of QBs that teams MAY want to trade for. It's almost impossible to go wrong. Nothing is certain or guaranteed in the draft. But the Jets are in the driver's seat. It would be hard for them to muck this up. So as I have been saying from the start, they should stay pat unless they get a HAUL to move down. 

Eh. I don’t think Quinnen Williams makes this roster appreciably better, and Allen is a bit dubious because he’s not Von Miller. Bosa, I think will probably be pretty good, but honestly I’m fixated on propping up the offense for Darnold as quickly as possible and the only guy you can draft at 3 who does that for you is Jawaan Taylor (I guess?). The Jets can’t come away from this draft with a DT (first round), and an iffy #2 CB, and the eighth best receiver prospect (the two thirds) and pretend that they moved the needle. 

47 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Do you, as a Jets fan, want to be responsible for Miami finding their next QB?  For a 2nd round pick that we'll probably blow anyway because when was the last time we didn't, and the lost opportunity on a 1st round pick next year that could still be towards the top of the draft?

I think they are going to get a QB either way,   but if it helps us get players ,  why not.   It doesnt mean they pick the right guy.  ,  of coarse I could be wrong . Lol

56 minutes ago, Jamax99 said:

that strategy only works for so long.  back in the 1970's george allen of the redskins had the future is now player strategy.  it worked for a couple of seasons before the age of the players caught up.  i don't think the jets should trade future draft picks unless there's something exceptional coming along in the draft.  this past draft only worked out because darnold fell to 3.  there was a good chance they would've had to settle for rosen or allen.

What if Bosa go 1 and J Allen  2 Jets draft Q Williams ,  and M Sweet , B burns or R Gary , fall to 15-20 range would you use next years pick to grab one?  .  If it cost  1 next year  a 3rd this year and a 2nd 2021. ?  My logic is build team sooner rather then later.     

I started a thread with a similar idea a few weeks ago but the hypothetical was would we trade next years 1 for the fins 13 this year. 

Miami has made it clear they are tanking and could need ammo next year to get a QB which we don’t need. 

We could ultimately wind up picking in the 20s next year with this team and what we we would get at 6 and 13, or even better one of those and a trade down again. 

37 minutes ago, Jamax99 said:

I think they are going to get a QB either way,   but if it helps us get players ,  why not.   It doesnt mean they pick the right guy.  ,  of coarse I could be wrong . Lol

The point is why give them the additional fire power to get the top choice of QBs?

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Came here to say these exact two things.

Archived