Is it reasonable to expect our third Rd Center and lineman to start?

BornJetsFan1983

I mean let's just say we take bosa/allen in the 1st and then in the 3rd, whoever we pick let's assume it is lineman. 

Is it reasonable to think they start or help the line significantly?

I don't remember really how many 3rds we have had that actually turned into reliable splayer year one. Hell have our 1rounders really shown up big in the first year. 

Damn jets. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very low percentage of 3rd round picks ever start consistently in the NFL. The only players who have a good shot at starting are 1st and 2nd round picks. Waiting for the 3rd round to find starters on the offensive line will be a disaster. That's why I want them to trade back so badly and get at least 1 2nd round pick.

Jets should package their 2 threes & trade up for the best Center available. Look at the roster as it is right now & say we add Bosa or Josh Allen.

What 3rd rounder and at what position do you think could be a starter? Of course my scenario is if we can't trade back. Maybe we use our high 3rd & Darron Lee to move up for a Center. 

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I mean let's just say we take bosa/allen in the 1st and then in the 3rd, whoever we pick let's assume it is lineman. 

I don't remember really how many 3rds we have had that actually turned into reliable splayer year one. Hell have our 1rounders really shown up big in the first year. 

Damn jets. 

Sheldon was a rookie of the year if memory serves me right .. 

3rd picks are premium picks it’s still the top 100 players ..  so it’s not unrealistic to draft a player and he starts and plays good cause there’s always good players that fall into the 3rd rd. .. 

The problem is Mac will pass on more proven with players with actual names and production (example of last year group OT Orlando Brown ,TE Mark Andrews, DE Sam Hubbard , LB Jerome Baker, WR Antonio Callaway) to name a few )And take even bigger project guys like Nathan Shepard.. 

My fear is that all of the Center prospects I really like (Jenkins, Bradbury, McCoy, primarily or even McGovern or Jordan) will be gone by the 3rd round.  The one I want most is Jenkins. If we miss out on all of them, how about the Bulldog, Gaillard?  @Lith?  Or Piercschbacher?

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

My fear is that all of the Center prospects I really like (Jenkins, Bradbury, McCoy, primarily or even McGovern or Jordan) will be gone by the 3rd round.  The one I want most is Jenkins. If we miss out on all of them, how about the Bulldog, Gaillard?  @Lith?  Or Piercschbacher?

I think the jets know this, and is part of a broader strategy to trade back and get more picks.  

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

A very low percentage of 3rd round picks ever start consistently in the NFL. The only players who have a good shot at starting are 1st and 2nd round picks. Waiting for the 3rd round to find starters on the offensive line will be a disaster. That's why I want them to trade back so badly and get at least 1 2nd round pick.

This is absurd. 

The Ravens OL, rated one of the best in the league, features two third rounders, a fourth rounder, and an undrafted FA as 4/5 starters. It is 100%, perfectly reasonable to assume that you can find starting OL in the middle rounds of the draft. 

We agree here. It frightens me to wait until the third to address OL. I also think it would be a hard sell for macc to take two OL with our two 3rds and I think we need to come out of this draft with two OL min.
I think one of the positions that has a good shot is the OL though. The good news with this draft is the strength of the D players. A lot of solid OL prospects are going to slide down further than maybe in other years. There is a shot that a Bobby Evans or mccoy could be there in the third.

Trading back is my hope!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

41 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I don’t think McGovern or Jordan will be gone by round 3. Both should be there for our first 3rd. I think Jordan would be the pick between those two.

Piercshbacher I think woukd be there in the 4th round for us. 

Would take a small miracle for Jenkins to fall to us in the third, but it is possible.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

It is possible.  Shell started.  Elflein started.  Orlando Brown started>

Smart teams today given the cap draft players who can start higher.  Thus, the odds are against us.

What other teams need starting centers?

Brian Winters too

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Doubt Gaillard could start as a rookie.  Probably could be more successful if we continue to run zone scheme, he is not a mauler.  I would expect Gaillard to come in as a back-up and maybe after a season or two, he could be a starter.  Don't think you can count on him to start in 2019.

All I really want out of this draft is a guy who can compete in training camp.  Only Cs on the roster right now are Harrison and Jon Toth, who spent last season on the PS.  Harrison was ok last year after he took over for Long, but did not do enough in my opinion to just be handed the starters role.  Lets just add competition for him. Could mean a vet like Wisniewski or Sullivan, or a rookie, or preferably both.  Let the 4 guys compete and see who earns the spot.  If that is Harrison, fine.  But he should not be handed the spot by default.

It's not critical that we add a week 1 starting center. We have a guy in Harrison who can hold down the fort for a little bit. It's definitely not the answer at center but it's also not Spencer Long with a broken finger snapping. Bowles retarded decision to keep Long in for as long as he did has seriously damaged people.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Doubt Gaillard could start as a rookie.  Probably could be more successful if we continue to run zone scheme, he is not a mauler.  I would expect Gaillard to come in as a back-up and maybe after a season or two, he could be a starter.  Don't think you can count on him to start in 2019.

All I really want out of this draft is a guy who can compete in training camp.  Only Cs on the roster right now are Harrison and Jon Toth, who spent last season on the PS.  Harrison was ok last year after he took over for Long, but did not do enough in my opinion to just be handed the starters role.  Lets just add competition for him. Could mean a vet like Wisniewski or Sullivan, or a rookie, or preferably both.  Let the 4 guys compete and see who earns the spot.  If that is Harrison, fine.  But he should not be handed the spot be default.

Agreed.   They need competition and depth at tackle too.  There’s nothing here if Beachum or Shell gets hurt.  Nothing.  It would be scary if Beachum gets hurt and is out for a while.  

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Damn jets. 

Yes it is reasonable... Period ?

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   They need competition and depth at tackle too.  There’s nothing here if Beachum or Shell gets hurt.  Nothing.  It would be scary if Beachum gets hurt and is out for a while.  

Yup.  Really don't want to go into another season where Qvale is the first option behind Shell & Beachum.  Compton may be better than Qvale, but I believe he has played a lot more guard than tackle.  After 5 seasons, we know what Qvale is -- and he is not very good.  Want to see two OL picked with our 3s/4 -- we desperately need young talented guys who are talent upgrades and have a chance to start someday, even if that day is not in 2019.

I think they take Allen/ Q. Williams at the top and then take a corner (perhaps Lonnie Johnson from KY) with the first 3rd.  Would it REALLY be shocking if they took a WR with their second 3rd and waited to the 4th and 6th to get McGovern and a tackle prospect?

Do I agree, no.  I would do what ever it took to come out of this draft with Andre Dillard and Garrett Bradbury.  But OL has never been a priority.  And Gase, while in Miami took Tunsil in 2016,, a guard in the 5th round in 2017, and no OL in 2018.

46 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

We agree here. It frightens me to wait until the third to address OL. I also think it would be a hard sell for macc to take two OL with our two 3rds and I think we need to come out of this draft with two OL min.
I think one of the positions that has a good shot is the OL though. The good news with this draft is the strength of the D players. A lot of solid OL prospects are going to slide down further than maybe in other years. There is a shot that a Bobby Evans or mccoy could be there in the third.

Trading back is my hope!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I actually believe bc of the depth on the defensive side that teams will reach for offensive talent early bc there will be plenty of value in the middle rounds on defense.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Really don't want to go into another season where Qvale is the first option behind Shell & Beachum.  Compton may be better than Qvale, but I believe he has played a lot more guard than tackle.  After 5 seasons, we know what Qvale is -- and he is not very good.  Want to see two OL picked with our 3s/4 -- we desperately need young talented guys who are talent upgrades and have a chance to start someday, even if that day is not in 2019.

I don’t view Compton as a viable back up at OT anymore.  He’s an interior guy.  

This is how ignoring the O-line in the draft for so many years catches up with you.  There’s nothing developing behind the starters and you’re forced to buy band-aids that aren’t really very good.  

55 minutes ago, slats said:

This is absurd. 

The Ravens OL, rated one of the best in the league, features two third rounders, a fourth rounder, and an undrafted FA as 4/5 starters. It is 100%, perfectly reasonable to assume that you can find starting OL in the middle rounds of the draft. 

Historically you have about a 20% chance of finding a consistent starter in Round 3 and it gets worse from there. Using 1 team as an example doesn't prove your point. Go take a look at every player drafted in Round 3 from 2012-2016 and tell me how many of them turned into consistent starters. I already did that, it's around 20%. So yeah, it's not absurd. 

Yes, you can expect it. There are day 1 starters up to the 4th round in this draft. And if we can get Jenkins I think we’re set for a long time. Everyone should pray that Jenkins makes it to the 3rd round or that he’s there in the late 2nd and we can trade up to him.

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Historically you have about a 20% chance of finding a consistent starter in Round 3 and it gets worse from there. Using 1 team as an example doesn't prove your point. Go take a look at every player drafted in Round 3 from 2012-2016 and tell me how many of them turned into consistent starters. I already did that, it's around 20%. So yeah, it's not absurd. 

Patriots OL has a third, fourth, and fifth rounder starting. The Rams have a third, fourth, and a guy they picked up on waivers. But they were, you know, just in the Super Bowl last year. The Chiefs, with their explosive offense, start a sixth rounder and a waiver claim. Chargers, same thing, a sixth round pick and a waiver claim. You look around the league, most teams have players drafted in the third and later starting on their OL. That's the norm. 

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Given recent history, it’s not reasonable to expect our 3rd-round pick to be in the NFL in three years.

Honestly believe a big part of the turnover is not just talent but the salary cap. With the way QB, Wide Reciever and a number of so-called impact positions salaries have escalated when teams have multiple players to pay cheaper talent is needed to control the cap.

1 minute ago, slats said:

Patriots OL has a third, fourth, and fifth rounder starting. The Rams have a third, fourth, and a guy they picked up on waivers. But they were, you know, just in the Super Bowl last year. The Chiefs, with their explosive offense, start a sixth rounder and a waiver claim. Chargers, same thing, a sixth round pick and a waiver claim. You look around the league, most teams have players drafted in the third and later starting on their OL. That's the norm. 

Of course there are starting lineman in the NFL that were drafted in the mid rounds. But, you're ignoring the other 75-80% of lineman drafted in those same rounds who never became starters.

The argument is what is the likelihood of finding a starting lineman in the mid rounds. Overall it's very much not likely but there is a small chance. The Jets would have to get very lucky.

If the scouts and coaches like the player you take him 

The rub of coutse is that fans don’t know even how the coaches feel about current players and the long term plans let alone scouting reports on this Year’s prospects 

I have a lot more faith in this years decision makers 

4 hours ago, choon328 said:

Years back we drafted a stud LT in the 3rd from Penn State named Kareem McKenzie. sh*tty part is Bradway only signed him for a few yrs and let him walk to the Giants to protect Eli for a decade. Oh how I hated Bradway for that!

56 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Mac top 10 picks = marginal starters

Mac all other picks = can’t stay on roster, despite roster being desperately thin 

Unless Mac suddenly got a clue, the short answer is: nope.

You left out: Bowles inability to coach up and put any player in the best situation to succeed. None of that bs was Mac's fault.

Archived