Will there ever be an NFL draft lottery and should there be?

Beerfish

NBA went to it.  NHL went to it.  Both generate a lot of off season extra hype.

What are opinions on draft lotteries and would the NFL ever go in that direction?

The vast importance of the QB position could be held up as the reason to keep status quo but in many cases top QBs have not been necessarily picked 1st and 2nd without trades over the last few years.

What say you all?  Yay or nay?

I sure hope not , since I think the draft is just fine the way it is. With a weighed lottery you run the risk of a team who just missed the playoffs getting the #1 pick while a truly needy team that went 1-15 getting the 7th pick.

No!

Never like the system the NBA put in  place. Look at the Knicks for example - the NBA really got stupid and now gives the first 3 of the worst teams a 14%  chance of landing the first pick. Real asinine because  from the rule that they implemented to prevent teams from tanking, the Knicks, being a  real  real horrible team,  get's the sh&t end of the stick and may lose out on the best player in the draft Zion Williamson

I think it’s long overdue.  The top picks in the draft have gotten to be astronomically valuable — some seasons more so then others — and teams are now deliberately tanking to secure those picks (Bucs in 2014 season, Browns in 2016 and 2017, Dolphins in 2019).  Think how close the Jets came to getting a top two or three pick in recent years only to get slightly “beat” out by teams that are either intentionally tanking (Bucs and Browns), suffered injuries to key players (Colts in 2017) or are just grossly incompetent franchises (think Raiders from Al Groh’s last years).  I was mad as hell those years because I felt the Jets deserved a fairer shot at the top pick.  Were the Jets really a better team then the Colts in 2017?  Somehow we won one more game and, as a result, had to cough up three premium draft picks to trade picks with them in order to get our QB.  That shows how valuable one or two extra losses can be in terms of draft capital.

It’s time for the NFL to start doing more to discourage tanking and stop rewarding ineptitude and the lottery system is the way to do it.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, derp said:

I think it’s very different in sports where you have 5-6 guys playing at a time versus eleven.

Exactly, way easier to tank in the NHL and NBA when you rely on less players to decide the outcome of games. 

On 4/13/2019 at 1:18 PM, Bomberjet said:

No!

Never like the system the NBA put in  place. Look at the Knicks for example - the NBA really got stupid and now gives the first 3 of the worst teams a 14%  chance of landing the first pick. Real asinine because  from the rule that they implemented to prevent teams from tanking, the Knicks, being a  real  real horrible team,  get's the sh&t end of the stick and may lose out on the best player in the draft Zion Williamson

I can't see how the NBA is stupid for a draft lottery...it's way too easy for teams to tank for the #1 pick in a sport where 1 great player gets you into the playoffs guaranteed. Also, not seeing why the NBA should reward the Knicks for having an inept FO. It's not like they have a great organization but have failed by getting the wrong players...the Knicks have had way more opportunities to become a better team than Brooklyn but look what has happened. With the right leadership, the Knicks shouldn't need a guaranteed #1 pick to get relevant. 

On 4/15/2019 at 5:54 PM, JetFreak89 said:

Exactly, way easier to tank in the NHL and NBA when you rely on less players to decide the outcome of games. 

I can't see how the NBA is stupid for a draft lottery...it's way too easy for teams to tank for the #1 pick in a sport where 1 great player gets you into the playoffs guaranteed. Also, not seeing why the NBA should reward the Knicks for having an inept FO. It's not like they have a great organization but have failed by getting the wrong players...the Knicks have had way more opportunities to become a better team than Brooklyn but look what has happened. With the right leadership, the Knicks shouldn't need a guaranteed #1 pick to get relevant. 

Yes, the Knicks have been inept but so have the Sacramento Kings for that matter, that's what the draft is all about , trying to get the teams in the right direction - and besides that ,  leadership has nothing to do with picking a player from college - it's all a crap shoot - it's the leadership on the field that counts. When the Colts drafted Luck, they were as inept as any team at that time.  So were the Patriots way back before they drafted Brady and took on Bellicheck.  Teams can't be penalized for the bad breaks.

Archived