What If It Works? Sunday Morning Dreaming ...

JetsLife

We as long suffering die-hard Jets fans are conditioned to doubt. As are many sports fans period. And I dare say as NYC metropolitan area folks we’re also conditioned to be negative lol. 

But like Mama & Papa’s California Dreaming I awoke earlier with some Sunday Morning Dreaming:

What if it freakin’ works? What if it all comes together? Am I jinxing it to wonder and hope? What if Woody Jr. and Maccagnan got it right hiring Gase? What if he turns out to be a legit head coach and molds not just Darnold but the entire squad in to winners? What if the offseason additions led by L Bell hit the ground running and fuel up our Jets? What if the o-line we all worry about so much isn’t as bad as we think? That it was in substantial part due to a Neanderthal offensive HC in Bowles and a pedestrian OC in Bates? Not to mention an oft struggling rookie QB, usually lacking skill weapons to work with due to injury and Bates’ misuse? What if the Jets juice up the pass rush via the draft and Gregg Williams coaching it up? What if we stay fairly healthy this season knock on wood?

In short: what if hope not only springs eternal but is real for these ‘19 Jets - and it all comes together?

Like Red says at the end of The Shawshank Redemption: “ … I hope I the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams, I hope” ...

Rodger Goodall Breaking Announcement: 

“Due to ongoing concerns about head injuries and the resultant litigation, the NFL and it’s ownership has decided to suspend operations permanently commencing February 1, 2020, the day before the Jets-Giants Super Bowl. It was a good run. But please we encourage everyone to tune in to the Puppy Bowl.”

I mean, look, not all Jet fans have a negative outlook on the current state of the team. 

Yes, it could all come together. But we also gotta be a bit more realistic. I think if it DID all come together this year, we are talking about 10 wins that squeaks us into the playoffs. Maybe we make some noise but I don't see us getting to the AFCCG or Super Bowl. So even if everything comes together, and it's not crazy to think that it will, we would have to do it all again next year while retaining current talent and adding more via draft and FA. 

Still, that would be great b/c the Jets are young and you would have to think if they are coming off a great season, they should only get better the following year. 

In the last few years teams that won the SB had three things in common- a legit Franchise QB and offense that can put up points, a ton of talent on defense, and great coaching. I would say the Pats are the exception b/c they did not really have a TON of talent on defense- but that just shows how good of a coach BB is and how good of a QB TB is. 

The Jets have Darnold- who still has to prove himself. They have yet to find the right coaching staff (hopefully this is it- but who knows). And they have some nice talent on defense but definitely need more. I think they are close to putting together an offense that can put of a lot of points. So I think, even if everything goes right and Darnold and the Coaching Staff look legit, they are still a couple years away from being contenders- assuming everything goes right.  

Yeah, here's what i wake up from a sleep worrying about.  Here's what we actually need help with, what if we start to see improvement?  Its never happened before, what are we supposed to do, how are we supposed to act?  Im confused, never have seen a winning season!

LOL

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Rodger Goodall Breaking Announcement: 

“Due to ongoing concerns about head injuries and the resultant litigation, the NFL and it’s ownership has decided to suspend operations permanently commencing February 1, 2020, the day before the Jets-Giants Super Bowl. It was a good run. But please we encourage everyone to tune in to the Puppy Bowl.”

there are lots of reasons to be optimistic on where the team is heading.  the gase/williams coaching tandem looks to be an upgrade from bowles/kacy/bates and darnold showed enough so that he can be considered to be the starting qb into the future.   they got some good players in free agency in bell and mosley and then added some good depth.  every position they've addressed so far has been an upgrade.  so this is good and there's every reason to think they've turned a corner of sorts.

History tells you when the Jets have a new head coach, that 1st season is usually very successful.

A new attitude and a last place schedule can get you 9 or 10 wins.  Heck, gase did this w/ the fins 3 years ago.  

Long term success is the goal.  And that is what we have been unable to do.

The NFL is a complete crapshoot, you have to have a little luck, Ford offsides, Pats avoid Brees & the Saints (Thomas, Kamara, Ingram, Hill) were a lot more to handle than the injured Gurley & the 2 midgets in Cooks & Woods with the deer in headlights Goff throwing to them. 

You also most importantly have to stay healthy. Pats had their entire Oline stay healthy, Dline was healthy, secondary was complete & healthy and Gronk made to the end making 3 big catches along the way.

There are no GREAT TEAMS IN the NFL anymore. The Chiefs have lost some players, Hill might get suspended, hell, Cleveland might be the team to beat next year. Parcells always had it right, get to the tournament & anything can happen. The Jets could be similar to the Pats in 2001. I live in New England & watched that game with a bunch of neighbors, 1 Jet fan & a room full of Pats fans. When Vinateri kicked that game winner, those Pats fans were so jaded that they would lose the game, they were just flabbergasted that they just won the Super Bowl. One of them just stood up in shock & said, "Holy sh*t! We just won the Super Bowl!. 

18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

History tells you when the Jets have a new head coach, that 1st season is usually very successful.

A new attitude and a last place schedule can get you 9 or 10 wins.  Heck, gase did this w/ the fins 3 years ago.  

Long term success is the goal.  And that is what we have been unable to do.

That's true on the Jets but I would rather have what the Pats did with their 2nd year QB in 2001..

Archived