Crazy Mock Draft from Jeremiah

WayneChrebet80

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think they can run a DL of Anderson, Oliver/Quinnen, Leo and Copeland/Jenkins/Draft pick/someone picked up and let Avery, Mosley and Lee play LB.  

The defense will struggle a bit without a pure pass-rushing EDGE, but get it next year and continue to build the team for the future.  

By staying in the 3-4, we have boxed ourselves into taking Josh Allen, which could work out ok, but not of Oliver or Quinnen or even Bosa turn out to be stars.

What about if Bosa is there?  How about Anderson, Foley/Shepherd/McClendon, Leo and Bosa?  Let Jenkins and Copeland figure out 4-3 SLB. 

i just don't get it....

So, we're going to draft a DT this year at 3, and then look for an edge next year (when we'll probably be drafting in the top 10 again)?  So, we hired an offensive minded HC, and now we just need to feed players to the D....AGAIN?  What happens with the contract demands of Leo?  He'll be wanting  new deal...is he 'out'?  Seems all we do is replace past premium D DP's with new ones in a never ending circle of futility.

I'm tired of trying to win games 13-10...the NFL is now an offense driven league.  You get you're QB, then put pieces around him...i.e., expend some premium draft capital on the OFFENSE.

If the Jets draft an edge guy this year, ok I get it...don't necessarily agree with it but I understand.  But drafting another DT and hoping he's the next Aaron Donald is foolish IMO.

Seems the Jets will once again prove Einstein's definition of insanity.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, choon328 said:

3 sacks total last year, two of them against East Carolina, 1 against Navy

Yea, 3 sacks and 14.5 tackles for a loss in 8 games. He's the ultimate disruptor. Plus, he's been a beast since his freshman year. Nobody knew who Williams was until last year

Maccagnan is on the record of saying he looks at mock drafts as a method of preparation. Oliver for reasons unknown is currently behind Allen, Bosa, and Williams in most mocks. I think Oliver should be the pick (assuming the BS at Houston is settled), but it seems unlikely with how the current mock drafts have shaken out.

Maccagnan doesn't have a history of "reaching" in the top 6. If you're betting, it's either Williams or Allen. Most likely Allen with the Jets recently paying Anderson.

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Yea, 3 sacks and 14.5 tackles for a loss in 8 games. He's the ultimate disruptor. Plus, he's been a beast since his freshman year. Nobody knew who Williams was until last year

Please...he plays in the AAC.  Here's Houston's list of opponents from last year:

9/1/2018Rice

9/8/2018Arizona

9/15/2018Texas Tech

9/22/2018Texas Southern

10/4/2018Tulsa

10/13/2018ECU

10/20/2018Navy

10/27/2018USF

11/3/2018SMU

11/10/2018Temple

11/15/2018Tulane

11/23/2018Memphis

Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl

12/22/2018Army

Oliver may be good...but it's no sure thing.

10 minutes ago, Barton said:

Dont see what's so great about Q Williams anyways, in terms of get off. Ed Oliver seems explosive though.

Assuming the questions regarding Oliver are stemming from the interviews(speculating), as everything else checks out. Nkemdiche, who's been a bust, same deal.

8 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Please...he plays in the AAC.  Here's Houston's list of opponents from last year:

9/1/2018Rice

9/8/2018Arizona

9/15/2018Texas Tech

9/22/2018Texas Southern

10/4/2018Tulsa

10/13/2018ECU

10/20/2018Navy

10/27/2018USF

11/3/2018SMU

11/10/2018Temple

11/15/2018Tulane

11/23/2018Memphis

Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl

12/22/2018Army

Oliver may be good...but it's no sure thing.

There's no sure thing in the draft. I think Oliver is a better option than Williams. Versatility.

23 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

i just don't get it....

So, we're going to draft a DT this year at 3, and then look for an edge next year (when we'll probably be drafting in the top 10 again)?  So, we hired an offensive minded HC, and now we just need to feed players to the D....AGAIN?  What happens with the contract demands of Leo?  He'll be wanting  new deal...is he 'out'?  Seems all we do is replace past premium D DP's with new ones in a never ending circle of futility.

I'm tired of trying to win games 13-10...the NFL is now an offense driven league.  You get you're QB, then put pieces around him...i.e., expend some premium draft capital on the OFFENSE.

If the Jets draft an edge guy this year, ok I get it...don't necessarily agree with it but I understand.  But drafting another DT and hoping he's the next Aaron Donald is foolish IMO.

I've got good news.

Macc completely revamped the RB situation including signing the best overall weapon available in FA in many years.  He also signed a WR who will play the Jarvis Landry role for Darnold and could THRIVE in Gase's offense.

You want more?

He also signed a former all pro guard who is now healthy after injury, dropped 30 lbs, and has a point to prove.

I know none of these additions are important to those longing for Jonah Hill but I assure you Darnold loves what's going on thus far.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

I've got good news.

Macc completely revamped the RB situation including signing the best overall weapon available in FA in many years.  He also signed a WR who will play the Jarvis Landry role for Darnold and could THRIVE in Gase's offense.

You want more?

He also signed a former all pro guard who is now healthy after injury, dropped 30 lbs, and has a point to prove.

I know none of these additions are important to those longing for Jonah Hill but I assure you Darnold loves what's going on thus far.

Ha!

25 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

i just don't get it....

If you think the difference between 13-10 and 51-45 has anything to do with prioritizing one side or the other on anything besides a 1:1 basis you have proved the actual definition of insanity and should be locked up somewhere that ensures I never have to read anything you write ever again.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

I've got good news.

You want more?

You know what else he’d love - a center who can shot gun the ball to him and a right tackle who won’t get him injured for another month.  

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

You know what else he’d love - a center who can shot gun the ball to him and a right tackle who won’t get him injured for another month.  

Please. he threw 4 interceptions, and was benched. The only good move Bowles ever made. Darnold came back a different QB

You all just spent months telling me how Quinnen Williams is a "generational" player and that's why the Jets had to take him at 3. Now all of a sudden Oliver is better? 

It's going to be great when they take offensive line at 3 if they don't trade back. Some of your heads will explode and I'm going to enjoy it.

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Assuming the questions regarding Oliver are stemming from the interviews(speculating), as everything else checks out. Nkemdiche, who's been a bust, same deal.

Don't ever compare the two. Nkemdiche had bust written all over him before he was drafted. He was a 5 star recruit that was a total dog with no motor, and he said he coasted and took plays off in college. 

I get the feeling that Oliver was the presumptive #1 pick before the football season, only “fell” in the eyes of the media, and is now “rising” due to his absurd Pro Day results. He’s theoretically an elite interior disruptor and as nice as edge rush is, interior disruption is what bothers the elite QB’s.

It sucks that the Jets have drafted interior defensive linemen forever. What sucks the most is that only one got a second contract (Wilkerson) and then he got cut. If Oliver is good enough to earn a second deal it’ll be a rare occurrence for the Jets.

Connor Hughes recently noted that while the Jets are running a 3-4 on paper it’s basically going to be a 3-3-5 in base. The idea was that Barr, Mosley, and Williamson would be the linebackers - now it’s Copeland instead of Barr. I would presume the DL is McClendon right now with the obvious Williams and Anderson. But I think there’s a hole in the DL just like there is at EDGE.

There’s definitely a need at edge, but conceptually that guy is not going to be a traditional 3-4 pin your ears back edge but someone who they want to be able to drop and play as an off ball guy as well. Josh Allen is perfect for that role, but how much do they really value it? They wanted Barr but were going to pay him less than Mosley. Sounds like it’s going to be more pass rush from the front and blitzes than an edge - which is funny because obviously Garrett was huge for the Browns. Right or wrong I could see them making the decision that they don’t value the edge role that much.

Macc’s BPA philosophy is fine, the execution has just been crap. Oliver is an ELITE athlete. No worries about a slow front seven with him. He’s a borderline linebacker athletically. If they decide he’s the best guy I’m cool with it. Would rather see it at five or six. But I think he was wildly underrated when people had him sliding.

The other obvious possibility here is that the Jets know someone else in the top five or six covets him and they’re okay sliding and taking whoever is left.

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

@HelenOfTroy is a flaming homer and it would never work between us. I only date hot pragmatists.

If I were younger, the young me, you’d be hot after me....on your knees, with flowers, quoting Shakespeares’ Sonnet 57.  

Consider yourself fortunate, Thomas, you would have been my slave.

7 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

If you think the difference between 13-10 and 51-45 has anything to do with prioritizing one side or the other on anything besides a 1:1 basis you have proved the actual definition of insanity and should be locked up somewhere that ensures I never have to read anything you write ever again.

Whatever Dude...ignore me.

I will say however that in the past 9 yrs, the NYJ have had 26 picks in the first 3 rds of the NFL draft...and the picks on the Offensive side of the ball in those yrs totaled exactly 9 picks ..or 1/3, including only ONE 1st rd pick on O which was last year.  9 of the 10 1st round picks we have had in the past 9 yrs were on D.

Let's definitely keep it up, we're bound to succeed eventually.

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

Don't ever compare the two. Nkemdiche had bust written all over him before he was drafted. He was a 5 star recruit that was a total dog with no motor, and he said he coasted and took plays off in college. 

Yeah that's my bad a bit. I didnt realize/forgot how unproductive he was at Ole Miss considering the hype. Plus his combine was phenomenal.

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You all just spent months telling me how Quinnen Williams is a "generational" player and that's why the Jets had to take him at 3. Now all of a sudden Oliver is better? 

It's going to be great when they take offensive line at 3 if they don't trade back. Some of your heads will explode and I'm going to enjoy it.

Oliver has always been better and I've been saying it for THREE YEARS. I hope when you said  "You all" I wasn't whom you had in mind. Oliver is a generational talent, everyone else in this draft isn't. It's the only reason I'm pining for a defensive player in the first round.

11 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It's ridiculous at this point...I agree.

All these mocks have Taylor and Jonah W going like between 6 and 10, but we'd be idiots for for taking either and passing on this weeks 'the next 'generational' talent on D'.

13 minutes ago, choon328 said:

More like the people who understand the draft realize you need the athletic metrics on pass rushers before evaluating which one is a safer bet to succeed. 

6 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

If I were younger, the young me, you’d be hot after me....on your knees, with flowers, quoting Shakespeares’ Sonnet 57.  

Consider yourself fortunate, Thomas, you would have been my slave.

I’m sure you’re gorgeous now and I’d still do the flowers and the Shakespeare and all of it for you, but then you’d say some whack sh*t about how great Jamal Adams is and I’d have to call you an Uber because nuh uh girlfriend 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah that's my bad a bit. I didnt realize/forgot how unproductive he was at Ole Miss considering the hype. Plus his combine was phenomenal.

On another board we used to start a thread on what player you DIDN'T want the Jets to draft. That year my submissions were Darron Lee and Nkemdiche. 

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

It's ridiculous at this point...I agree.

All these mocks have Taylor and Jonah W going like between 6 and 10, but we'd be idiots for for taking either and passing on this weeks 'the next 'generational' talent on D'.

LOL at this weeks. He would have been a top 5 pick as a true freshman if he was allowed to enter the draft at that time.

12 minutes ago, derp said:

I get the feeling that Oliver was the presumptive #1 pick before the football season, only “fell” in the eyes of the media, and is now “rising” due to his absurd Pro Day results. He’s theoretically an elite interior disruptor and as nice as edge rush is, interior disruption is what bothers the elite QB’s.

It sucks that the Jets have drafted interior defensive linemen forever. What sucks the most is that only one got a second contract (Wilkerson) and then he got cut. If Oliver is good enough to earn a second deal it’ll be a rare occurrence for the Jets.

Connor Hughes recently noted that while the Jets are running a 3-4 on paper it’s basically going to be a 3-3-5 in base. The idea was that Barr, Mosley, and Williamson would be the linebackers - now it’s Copeland instead of Barr. I would presume the DL is McClendon right now with the obvious Williams and Anderson. But I think there’s a hole in the DL just like there is at EDGE.

There’s definitely a need at edge, but conceptually that guy is not going to be a traditional 3-4 pin your ears back edge but someone who they want to be able to drop and play as an off ball guy as well. Josh Allen is perfect for that role, but how much do they really value it? They wanted Barr but were going to pay him less than Mosley. Sounds like it’s going to be more pass rush from the front and blitzes than an edge - which is funny because obviously Garrett was huge for the Browns. Right or wrong I could see them making the decision that they don’t value the edge role that much.

Macc’s BPA philosophy is fine, the execution has just been crap. Oliver is an ELITE athlete. No worries about a slow front seven with him. He’s a borderline linebacker athletically. If they decide he’s the best guy I’m cool with it. Would rather see it at five or six. But I think he was wildly underrated when people had him sliding.

The other obvious possibility here is that the Jets know someone else in the top five or six covets him and they’re okay sliding and taking whoever is left.

It’s just a tough squeeze because you’ve gotta get Leonard, Anderson, Oliver, Mosley, and Williamson on the field most of the day and that’s an awful lot of redundancy in terms of roles and talent, unless you push Leonard inside and make him the de-facto 3-tech and use him and Oliver like San Fran used to use Stubblefield and Bryant Young?

If there was a single offensive player worthy of 3 I'd be in.  The guys on defense are simply better in this draft.  We have a glaring need at EDGE - a  premium position which you can not fill in free agency because they are so valuable they do not become available. 

Don't overthink this.  Just fill the damn hole with a great prospect.  Allen or Bosa/

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

With a different center.

Well, yea. Bowles played a hapless center, and contributed to Darnold's struggles. Wouldn't be surprised if the front office intervened and told Bowles to sit Darnold, and bench Long. So glad he's gone.

33 minutes ago, Pac said:

I've got good news.

You want more?

I understand and appreciate all that...and if Osemele can also swing over to OT to cover for Shell if needed, the more the better.  He's played there before.

But the OL is thin all over, both Beachum and Shell have been hurt and Harrison at OC is average at best.  all those weapons the Jets added like Bell, Darnold and Crowder will be diminished by a weak OL with no depth.

I'd prefer to trade back if possible, and I'm not partial to any particular OL player...I'm for getting potential OL starters is all..or hell, get another WR.

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s just a tough squeeze because you’ve gotta get Leonard, Anderson, Oliver, Mosley, and Williamson on the field most of the day and that’s an awful lot of redundancy in terms of roles and talent, unless you push Leonard inside and make him the de-facto 3-tech and use him and Oliver like San Fran used to use Stubblefield and Bryant Young?

I think Williamson gets the short end of the stick and I’m not sure Williams is on the Jets in 12 months (which is the best argument for not taking Oliver).

Archived