Why can’t Mac get a 2nd for Leo?

Philc1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And your point is what?  Mac is suddenly learning from mistakes is that why he drafted Ardarius Stewart after striking out on Devin Smith? He also signed Webb who is just as awful as Hackenberg 

He cut's his losses. It was a gamble giving Wilk that contract. Mac lost. Who cares about Webb. 3rd string QB, warming the bench for a year. TomShane posted the players available in the draft in every rd, Idziks last year. Look at all the bust's. This isn't a defense of Mac, it's all just a huge crap shoot.

55 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Have you looked at Mac’s track record?  He gave Wilkerson a $90 million extension and he didn’t even draft him.

Mac has personal and professional investment in Leo if Leo is even decent next year Mac will run to give him a contract that is similar to what Wilkerson got

There is no comparison between Mo and Leo. Mo was much better his first 4 years the league and it's not even close. Then in his 5th year he put up 12 sacks. He had almost 30: sacks combined in years 3, 4 & 5. That's why he got an extension. 

57 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And even further from looking to trade him away for a 2nd or worse.

IDK what your point is. You said Macc has said that he wants to extend Leo which is not true at all. You outright lied.

I never said Macc has said he wants to trade Leo. My opinion is that they should though.

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

There is no comparison between Mo and Leo. Mo was much better his first 4 years the league and it's not even close. Then in his 5th year he put up 12 sacks. He had almost 30: sacks combined in years 3, 4 & 5. That's why he got an extension. 

Choon328........Stop it for a dayimages.jpg.150d54e5c8116a0ea4d1eacb9d1eb9c3.jpg

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm sure he could get a 2nd rounder if he chose to trade him.  It doesn't appear he wants to.  Williams is a good player.  I would argue very good.  He's not an elite pass rusher, which is all that matters to some.

Yup--so let's trade a very good player for a draft pick in the HOPE that we draft a player that is as good as Leo.

It's brilliant, actually.  

9 minutes ago, choon328 said:

To follow up. Isn't it interesting that Mo put up his best numbers the year Leo was drafted. Isn't it interesting that Anderson had his best year,[by far], when he was acquired by the Jets, and had Leo playing the other side. Mo had 3 sacks, his first year, and 5 sacks his 2nd year. Let's wait to see who the jet's draft, and what affect it has on leo's numbers. He's 25 yrs old. It's not to late for him to take the next step.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Well yes the dumb contract he gave to Fitz while obviously bidding against himself And the other stupid contracts like Revis, Skrine, Trumaine Johnson

A one year deal for a QB who won 10, setting team best numbers and another player after one season is the argument against Mo.  Got it.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Anytime Mo was out of the lineup and Sheldon or Coples started he wasn’t missed

Nonsense.  The two years before the extension he was seemed it.  No matter how many fantasy stories you come up with years later.

No warned his extension, don't get the ridiculous story being shoveled that he didn't and shouldn't be paid

Mo became a dog after getting paid, get that.  It's on Mo.  No one wants to admit that it's in him, feel the need to play the blame game as if Macc needs more blame

57 minutes ago, bitonti said:

that's not how football teams work

It doesnt work by drafting defense every year, unless you need to draft another QB that you will support by drafting defense again after drafting him.

Maybe you should explain to the Jets how football teams work. 

Everything else is just an excuse to draft defense. I've had enough of entertaining that. Fix the offense, period.  

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

When he got a 2nd for Sheldon a couple years ago under similar circumstances?

theres a couple reasons to do this 1) jets get a second round pick 2) this prevents the inevitable albatross $100 million contract Mac will give to Leo next offseason and 3) it clears the way for us to draft the best player in this draft

792DBFC8-9A04-4BC0-B71A-4DD9FAC6B2F0.jpeg

Do you know for a fact that they can't/couldn't get a 2nd for Williams?

Do you know for a fact that they have put Williams on the trading block and what offers they have received?

Do you know for a fact that they want to trade Williams?

My guess is your answer to these questions is "No"

18 minutes ago, genot said:

To follow up. Isn't it interesting that Mo put up his best numbers the year Leo was drafted. Isn't it interesting that Anderson had his best year,[by far], when he was acquired by the Jets, and had Leo playing the other side. Mo had 3 sacks, his first year, and 5 sacks his 2nd year. Let's wait to see who the jet's draft, and what affect it has on leo's numbers. He's 25 yrs old. It's not to late for him to take the next step.

This take, which is popular among some, means that people are willing to pay a guy potentially $16-$18 million per year for 5 years off of 1 very good year.

If you aren't willing to pay that for 1 year of very good production then you shouldn't care if he gets traded. This is where I stand.

You can not be in between on this. It's an either/or situation.

43 minutes ago, choon328 said:

IDK what your point is. You said Macc has said that he wants to extend Leo which is not true at all. You outright lied.

I never said Macc has said he wants to trade Leo. My opinion is that they should though.

And you're clueless here since I never said anything about what Macc said about extending Leo. If you think I'm a liar, copy and paste it here. 

Guess that makes you the outright liar. 

27 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It doesnt work by drafting defense every year, unless you need to draft another QB that you will support by drafting defense again after drafting him.

Maybe you should explain to the Jets how football teams work. 

Everything else is just an excuse to draft defense. I've had enough of entertaining that. Fix the offense, period.  

the offense is fixed. They drafted Sam. QBIE they can find the other pieces. 

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you're clueless here since I never said anything about what Macc said about extending Leo. If you think I'm a liar, copy and paste it here. 

Guess that makes you the outright liar. 

It was @Scoop24 that said that, sorry. I got my haters mixed up lol

45 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This take, which is popular among some, means that people are willing to pay a guy potentially $16-$18 million per year for 5 years off of 1 very good year.

If you aren't willing to pay that for 1 year of very good production then you shouldn't care if he gets traded. This is where I stand.

You can not be in between on this. It's an either/or situation.

I'm not. We don't know if Mac is, neither. I think it's a wait and see with Leo. Im sure they want more from him, if they're gonna pay big bucks. My point is the way Leo helped with Anderson and Mo's production, a Bosa. or Allen, or Oliver, might do the same for Leo

1 minute ago, genot said:

I'm not. We don't know if Mac is, neither. I think it's a wait and see with Leo. Im sure they want more from him, if they're gonna pay big bucks. My point is the way Leo helped with Anderson and Mo's production, a Bosa. or Allen, or Oliver, might do the same for Leo

You might be right. But what's the end game with Leo? To get a comp pick if he plays well? That's not a guarantee especially considering Jets have a ton of money to spend again next offseason. I'd rather get something for him now and help the team by adding a solid player the draft then lose him for nothing next year. That's been my take all along.

Just now, choon328 said:

You might be right. But what's the end game with Leo? To get a comp pick if he plays well? That's not a guarantee especially considering Jets have a ton of money to spend again next offseason. I'd rather get something for him now and help the team by adding a solid player the draft then lose him for nothing next year. That's been my take all along.

If the Jets's want him, they'll keep him. Just a feeling on my part. I think Leo, is happy here. Wants to be here for the turnaround.

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So you want to trade one of our good players in the hopes that we draft a "solid" player.

Sounds like a plan.  

You're getting a lot of negative feedback but its not that crazy. Thats exactly what Belichick would do. Recoup an asset back before his payday and draft a younger cheaper version. Hes traded players much better than Leo (Chandler Jones). You could then grab an edge with the 2. If Leo flops again at least we will get a comp pick back if he walks. You dont pay players like Leo 14M per year. Thats not how you build a team.

3 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

You're getting a lot of negative feedback but its not that crazy. Thats exactly what Belichick would do. Recoup an asset back before his payday and draft a younger cheaper version. Hes traded players much better than Leo (Chandler Jones). You could then grab an edge with the 2. If Leo flops again at least we will get a comp pick back if he walks. You dont pay players like Leo 14M per year. Thats not how you build a team.

He was traded during his last season, at the end of the season after testing positive for synthetic weed. 

7 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

I'm not sure I follow.  Trade him and then get back a comp pick?  How does that work?

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was traded during his last season, at the end of the season after testing positive for synthetic weed. 

and Leo is in his last season. Jones is still a monster. Seymour in the last year of his deal comes to mind too though. and Jaime Collins. and Branch in his last year. But you get the point by now

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

So you want to trade one of our good players in the hopes that we draft a "solid" player.

Sounds like a plan.  

If you're going to lose that "good" player for nothing then yes.

There are really 3 options here with Leo. Let's go on the premise that he'll have 8-10 sacks next year even though that goes against everything he's done in NFL so far.

Option 1: Pay Leo $16-$18 million per year over 5 years for 1 year of very good production

Option 2: Trade him for a 2nd round pick and have that player for 4 years

Option 3: No trade, let him play out the season and he hits free agency. (No comp pick bc the Jets have a ton of money to spend next off-season)

I'm taking option 2 all day every day.

12 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Flops. A little harsh, i'd sayhttps://elitesportsny.com/2019/02/06/new-york-jets-dt-leonard-williams-unlikely-to-be-traded-report/

I'm not opposed to trading Leo. He's reliable, okay, and unspectacular thus far. I would take a second and either third or fourth and hit the ground running. However I still would not stay at 3 and draft a DT. I really think Mac has to work some magic in this draft and get us at least five contributors who play right away

10 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Sounds like a plan.  

The plan is that by trading that player you get a 2nd round pick and another $14M+ to spend.  Think of it more like Leonard Williams vs. 2nd round pick + Justin Houston + another $3M to spend as you see fit.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Use 30th overall pick on on DL

Use 6th overall pick to replace 30th overall pick

Trade 6th overall pick for 2nd rounder

Use 3rd overall pick to replace 6th overall pick

Profit?

YOU FORGOT ABOUT 2 SEASONS OF JERMAINE KEARSE, MOTHER****ER!

Archived