Why can’t Mac get a 2nd for Leo?

Philc1

Seems like you're trying to make a non-vacancy a vacancy in order to make a Q Williams pick a need in order to fill a hole which was purposely and unnecessarily created.  

Sheldon Richardson became a lockerroom problem, a problem that actually developed with the favouritism from Marshall, Decker and Mangold when it came to their QB Ryan Fitzpatrick. Favouritism that backfired after Antics by guys like Marshall placing blame on folks and pointing fingers at others, but once Ryan became the Fitzpatrick folks pretended he wasnt, those antics turned into lockerroom issues with outspoken players like Richardson who got tired of guys like Marshall running their mouth about guys like Revis but would "go down with the ship" if Fitz through 3 INT's to end our season, then open the next season throwing 6 picks in a game. That lockerroom got out of control and the participants were dismissed. 

Big Cat is talented, he simply didnt end up living up to the hype that we see surrounding players every draft. But he's not bad enough to basically create a vacancy and draft a guy at a position that we dont need, simply because Q is experiencing the same hype that Big Cat had back when he was being hyped. 

We shouldnt even be concentrating on that side of the ball with the 1st pick anyway. If the Jets wanted to continue drafting defense in the 1st round forever, they should have thought about that before drafting Sam Darnold. 

Q Williams doesnt score points nor does he directly impact the offense which it's purpose is to score points. Every year we draft defense, every year the NFL creates rules to further limit the defense. How about not resisting and providing Sam with the ability to score in today's high octane NFL. 

Keeping Big Cat and getting Sam some starters and depth at the Oline position is better than trading Big Cat just so we can have this years version of the hype train. And even if he's good, that does nothing for Sam Darnold which is the most important player. 

• Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Mac already said they want to sign him to extension .. you guys seem to have hard time believing what Gase and Macc say. Cause even after he said that a lot of you swore he was driving up Leo trade price. Here we are months later and Leo was up there modeling jerseys with the rest of our Core players. And Gase has talk him up in multiple interviews.

Everything they have said publicly can be true and he still doesn't get re-signed or he gets traded. They're not mutually exclusive of each other. I've never heard of a GM or Coach publicly saying they want to trade someone or that a player isn't a part of the future of the team. That eliminates any leverage in a possible trade. Even the Cardinals haven't publicly said they're trying trade Rosen and that's pretty much a foregone conclusion. And saying they'd like to extend him might mean they'll extend him at $8 million but not anything more. Expressing a desire doesn't mean they'll do it at any cost. Some of you guys are too gullible.

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

When he got a 2nd for Sheldon a couple years ago under similar circumstances?

theres a couple reasons to do this 1) jets get a second round pick 2) this prevents the inevitable albatross $100 million contract Mac will give to Leo next offseason and 3) it clears the way for us to draft the best player in this draft

792DBFC8-9A04-4BC0-B71A-4DD9FAC6B2F0.jpeg

Start with, he's not trying to trade him for a 2nd? 

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Everything they have said publicly can be true and he still doesn't get re-signed or he gets traded. They're not mutually exclusive of each other. I've never heard of a GM or Coach publicly saying they want to trade someone or that a player isn't a part of the future of the team. That eliminates any leverage in a possible trade. Even the Cardinals haven't publicly said they're trying trade Rosen and that's pretty much a foregone conclusion. And saying they'd like to extend him might mean they'll extend him at $8 million but not anything more. Expressing a desire doesn't mean they'll do it at any cost. Some of you guys are too gullible.

did they say they want extend lee ? It’s pretty easy to tell when organization isnt behind a player anymore . Same Rosen situation the GM said “ He is our QB Right Now”  seems pretty telling to me ? 

40 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets will run a 3-3-5 as a base because of Jamal Adams.  He is the Swiss Army Knife, S who can play LB and vice versa who can make that defense work.   I am somewhat surprised they let Brooks walk-they could have used a safety like that who can cover.  

So for those who see Adams as overdrafted (and I think there is a good argument for that), let’s see if this defense can work with Adams playing that role.   The key to the defense will be Mosley.  

I agree and just looking at this team’s composition after free agency I think we’re investing hard in a 3-3-5 base. Mosley was signed as the primary read and react guy in the middle. Poole will play a hybrid slot/ safety/ viper role. Adams already is a rover/safety/lb/ slot guy. This also explains why some safeties have come in for pre-draft visits since the 3-3-5 needs a true center fielder and Maye might not be that. 

I think the Jets are waiting for the draft to decide what to do with Lee and if they don’t take Allen, they’ll give Lee a shot to win the WLB/ blitzer role. 

Again this makes sense of why they’re really diligent on Oliver, Williams, Allen and not Bosa.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

How does the team benefit by creating more holes? Williams is a solid player that could be better under the new DC. 

This what I think or I’m hoping. Honestly not sure. Players like Leo make that leap under the new coaching, scheming and leadership. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

did they say they want extend lee ? It’s pretty easy to tell when organization isnt behind a player anymore . Same Rosen situation the GM said “ He is our QB Right Now”  seems pretty telling to me ? 

I've never heard Macc say he wants to extend Leo or Anderson. I've seen a report by Manish who got information from a Jets "source" that the Jets would be "amenable" to a contract extension for Leo.

That's not even close to the GM publicly saying he wants to sign Leo to an extension. 

51 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I've never heard Macc say he wants to extend Leo or Anderson. I've seen a report by Manish who got information from a Jets "source" that the Jets would be "amenable" to a contract extension for Leo.

That's not even close to the GM publicly saying he wants to sign Leo to an extension. 

Have you looked at Mac’s track record?  He gave Wilkerson a $90 million extension and he didn’t even draft him.

Mac has personal and professional investment in Leo if Leo is even decent next year Mac will run to give him a contract that is similar to what Wilkerson got

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I agree and just looking at this team’s composition after free agency I think we’re investing hard in a 3-3-5 base. Mosley was signed as the primary read and react guy in the middle. Poole will play a hybrid slot/ safety/ viper role. Adams already is a rover/safety/lb/ slot guy. This also explains why some safeties have come in for pre-draft visits since the 3-3-5 needs a true center fielder and Maye might not be that. 

I think the Jets are waiting for the draft to decide what to do with Lee and if they don’t take Allen, they’ll give Lee a shot to win the WLB/ blitzer role. 

Again this makes sense of why they’re really diligent on Oliver, Williams, Allen and not Bosa.

I think gave up on Bosa because he knows the 49ers are drafting him

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Have you looked at Mac’s track record?  He gave Wilkerson a $90 million extension and he didn’t even draft him.

Mac has personal and professional investment in Leo if Leo is even decent next year Mac will run to give him a contract that is similar to what Wilkerson got

Yea. And when he found out he was getting ripped off, he cut him loose.

56 minutes ago, choon328 said:

And even further from looking to trade him away for a 2nd or worse.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Yea. And when he found out he was getting ripped off, he cut him loose.

And your point is what?  Mac is suddenly learning from mistakes is that why he drafted Ardarius Stewart after striking out on Devin Smith? He also signed Webb who is just as awful as Hackenberg 

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Because at the time he was worth it and it was the right move. 

He was coming off 9 and 12 sack seasons, a pro bowl season.

Pointing to this as negative or as an indicator that he'd sign "anyone" after the fact is pointless. 

Just now, Philc1 said:

And your point is what?  Mac is suddenly learning from mistakes is that why he drafted Ardarius Stewart after striking out on Devin Smith?

Ah, the he should have known that Devon Smith would suffer more than one career ending injury and he should be blamed for drafting him.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Ah, the he should have known that Devon Smith would suffer more than one career ending injury and he should be blamed for drafting him.

Mac has the boilerplate $90 million extension for Leo saved on his computer right now

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because at the time he was worth it and it was the right move. 

He was coming off 9 and 12 sack seasons, a pro bowl season.

Pointing to this as negative or as an indicator that he'd sign "anyone" after the fact is pointless. 

The Will contract was dumb even at the time we could have resigned Snacks who was more valuable to us at less than half the $

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

When he got a 2nd for Sheldon a couple years ago under similar circumstances?

theres a couple reasons to do this 1) jets get a second round pick 2) this prevents the inevitable albatross $100 million contract Mac will give to Leo next offseason and 3) it clears the way for us to draft the best player in this draft

792DBFC8-9A04-4BC0-B71A-4DD9FAC6B2F0.jpeg

Because he just modeled the new uniforms and looked excited. 

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Will contract was dumb even at the time we could have resigned Snacks who was more valuable to us at less than half the $

BS, it was earned by his play up to that point.  He blew it by coasting after getting what he deserved.  Thats on Mo, not on the Jets.

Mo was the better and more important player. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Proven by all the other players hes extended to $90 million dollar extensions?  Right?

Well yes the dumb contract he gave to Fitz while obviously bidding against himself And the other stupid contracts like Revis, Skrine, Trumaine Johnson

Just now, Jet Nut said:

BS, it was earned by his play up to that point.  He blew it by coasting after getting what he deserved.  Thats on Mo, not on the Jets.

Mo was the better and more important player. 

Anytime Mo was out of the lineup and Sheldon or Coples started he wasn’t missed

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

And even if he's good, that does nothing for Sam Darnold which is the most important player. 

i'm not like a scientist or anything but if the Jets draft a DROY defender who tallies 10+ sacks, gets the defense off the field on 3rd down, wins field positions, gets turnovers - all that helps Sam Darnold

• Upvote 1

I would just love to see how Leo's performance and game changes if we had Allen or Bosa putting pressure on.  Alas, the economics of it say it ain't going to happen.  I fully expect Mac to trade him and draft another who will be worse.

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i'm not like a scientist or anything but if the Jets draft a DROY defender who tallies 10+ sacks, gets the defense off the field on 3rd down, wins field positions, gets turnovers - all that helps Sam Darnold

No, that directly helps the defense. Everything that happens on the otherside of the ball indirectly helps or hinders the opposite side. 

However, you can have all of what you mentioned above, but if Sam gets injured, like every other QB we've had (including Sam) line up being the Oline since 2015, then what good is it to Sam if Sam is on the sideline and we're watching Siemian? 

Sam needs more than indirect help. The Jets need more than Sacks. I will take 10 more TD's than 10 more sacks because TD's have a much higher impact on giving you the win. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No, that directly helps the defense. Everything that happens on the otherside of the ball indirectly helps or hinders the opposite side.  

that's not how football teams work

it's a team. When the defense gets off the field, puts their helmets on the bench and then Sam throws one of his league leading picks last season, that demoralizes (and exhausts) the defense 

and when the defense can't get off the field all game, give up points, it puts pressure on Sam to come back, or keep pace 

there's also the scenario where both the offense and the defense are great and the special teams loses the game 

all the parts of the team are important. Now i'm not saying draft a place kicker at 3 but the gold jackets in this draft are likely at DT

a bird in the hand and all that

I can't get over the Orlando Pace year. all those picks, the double trade down, and it was a bunch of bums. Quantity doesn't equal quality. the games are won and lost by a handful of players. Sam is one of them but a defender (like 2009 revis ) can also change the outcome 

it's important they stay at 3 and pick a game changer. Not reach for need

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Crazy concept, good defense allows for more opportunities for the offense. It's almost like people believe offense/defense don't play for the same team.

Trading Leo makes no sense. You are just creating another hole in the roster. 

You don't wanna give him a big contract when his current contract up? Sure - I happen to agree with you. But trading him just to force yourself into having to draft another DL . . . why?