How can we justify drafting a DT at #3?

There is a strong possibility that Maccagnan is not going to be able to swing a trade, and he is forced to make a pick at 3. There is also a high probability that he takes Quinnen Williams with that pick. How are we going to convince ourselves that it's a good pick?

Personally I don't want to draft defense at all. The offense has been neglected for years. We finally got our franchise qb, and all of our assets should be going toward building around him IMO.

Now I understand that the strength of this draft is on the defensive side of the ball. Especially the blue chip players. So I get not reaching for an offensive player there. But if your are going to draft defense again, to me the pick has to be either Allen or Bosa. Don't even consider Williams because DE/ OLB is a far more important position than a DT. 

Half this board hates on Adams and leo because they were high draft picks that don't make game changing plays. I got news for you, neither will Quinnen Williams. He will be good against the run. He will get 4-5 sacks a season. But he is not going to be a game changing player. He is not Aaron Donald. Nobody is Aaron Donald. He is a freak of nature. If you want game changing plays then we should be going after Allen or Bosa.  Allen and Bosa both have the potential to consistently have 10+ sacks seasons. 

• Thumb Down 1

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

My head hurts. 

I guess I'm not buying all the Quinnen Williams hype. I feel like it would be a stupid pick for us and I wouldn't be excited if we picked him. Convince me why it's a good pick. Do you think he's better than Allen or Bosa. Because I dont. williams won't be getting after the QB like Bosa or Allen 

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

There is a strong possibility that Maccagnan is not going to be able to swing a trade, and he is forced to make a pick at 3. There is also a high probability that he takes Quinnen Williams with that pick. How are we going to convince ourselves that it's a good pick?

Personally I don't want to draft defense at all. The offense has been neglected for years. We finally got our franchise qb, and all of our assets should be going toward building around him IMO.

Now I understand that the strength of this draft is on the defensive side of the ball. Especially the blue chip players. So I get not reaching for an offensive player there. But if your are going to draft defense again, to me the pick has to be either Allen or Bosa. Don't even consider Williams because DE/ OLB is a far more important position than a DT. 

Half this board hates on Adams and leo because they were high draft picks that don't make game changing plays. I got news for you, neither will Quinnen Williams. He will be good against the run. He will get 4-5 sacks a season. But he is not going to be a game changing player. He is not Aaron Donald. Nobody is Aaron Donald. He is a freak of nature. If you want game changing plays then we should be going after Allen or Bosa.  Allen and Bosa both have the potential to consistently have 10+ sacks seasons. 

Game 1 even one sack and all fans will accept him and call it brilliant and how lucky we were to have him fall to us.

Didn't you know Quinnen Williams is a generational talent? Although Ed Oliver is better all of a sudden. So 2 generational talents. Wait, then there's Nick Bosa. So 3 generational talents in the same draft? (Sarcasm)

In all seriousness I believe most people want to choose a defensive guy bc they're nervous that Macc will get it wrong if they don't go with the so called "safe" pick. The problem is that if you want to be a good team in the NFL you have to have balls. Just like Macc showed by moving up last year so early in the off-season.

It will be a failure if Macc takes one of those guys and says, "We had a few offers to move out but we felt they didn't match the value of the player we could take at 3".

Everyone knows the Jets need to get back into the 2nd round this year to help this offensive line. Macc needs to be willing to take less than market value to get a couple of additional picks in this draft. In my opinion if he doesn't do that it's a failure no matter who they draft at #3.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Here's a good example.

2011 draft

2. Von Miller 3. Marcel dareus 11. JJ watt. 13. Nick fairly 14. Robert quinn

Do you want a chance to have von Miller or JJ watt. Or would you prefer Marcel dareus.  Would you rather have Nick fairly or Robert quinn. 

Im taking the DE over the DT every time

DE Robert Quinn was suppose to be stud pass rusher coming out of North Carolina.  these examples aren’t cut and dry .. what if they took a DT and he turn out to be Geno Atkins or Donald or Warren sapp? 

Every player is different. one case doesn’t prove the other . I could easily use Leonard Floyd and Vic Beasley as examples not to draft Josh Allen.. but that wouldn’t be fair to Allen at all. 

8 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Game 1 even one sack and all fans will accept him and call it brilliant and how lucky we were to have him fall to us.

Game 1, Darnold gets sacked 4 times. Who are we blaming besides everyone who wants a DT at #3?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

All this bickering of who we should draft is giving me a headache. It all comes down to drafting a position of need. If we stay at 3, go DE and take Bosa/Allen. On the other hand if we trade down, let's build up the O line and protect our franchise QB. It's all pretty simple. The problem is I fear Macc may not see it this way. 

I would feel emotionless if we take another DT. The same thing we’re hearing about this guy is the same thing we heard about Leo. 

If Josh Allen is on the board, take him. We need players that actually get to the quarterback. On the other hand, we also need players to protect our QB. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, choon328 said:

Everyone knows the Jets need to get back into the 2nd round this year to help this offensive line. Macc needs to be willing to take less than market value to get a couple of additional picks in this draft. In my opinion if he doesn't do that it's a failure no matter who they draft at #3.

I think this last paragraph is right and the frustrating thing is that it's self inflicted because we failed to add a C or OLB in free agency when we had the chance. 

We don't have enough early picks to impact the key positions we needed to address this off season which begs for us to trade. Or at least, the odds make pulling off quality at both positions tougher unless we do. 

The lamest thing is that a trade, if it happens at all, prob won't materialize until draft night so this week will be extra frustrating. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

At the end of the season when he makes the Pro Bowl?

The Jets can justify if they believe the player is going to be a top of the league guy at its position.  That’s the risk with the drafting Williams and Oliver if you are a GM. If you draft Allen or Bosa at 3 and be turns into a top 15 edge rusher in the league it’s still a good pick. An interior defender picked at 3 better be minimum top 3 at his position within his first three years in the league. 

7 hours ago, choon328 said:

Game 1, Darnold gets sacked 4 times. Who are we blaming besides everyone who wants a DT at #3?

Game 1, Mayfield has all game to throw.  Has a ton of time on an end of regulation, game winning drive.

while Darnold was harassed all game with whichever undeserving OL is playing.

Whos getting all the blame, who is saying why did we draft an OL when they didn't deserve to be picked at 3?

Oh and how many fire Macc threads will we have to endure.

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Game 1, Mayfield has all game to throw.  Has a ton of time on an end of regulation, game winning drive.

Whos getting all the blame, who is saying why did we draft an OL when they didn't deserve to be picked at 3?

Offense wins games in this day and age of the NFL, not defense. You have a potential Franchise QB to develop. A DT or Edge Rusher isn't going to do anything to help that happen. Having a sh*tty offensive line will do detriment to that process and will also render their $12 million HB pointless.

The mentality that says you have to have a top 10 defense to win is outdated. You don't even need a top 25 defense to go far in the playoffs and win a ton of games if you can put up points with a Franchise QB.

Plus, Rex schemed his way into a top defense without a true edge rusher why can't Williams? The Jets have enough talent on defense already to put together a top 15 defense, especially with Williams as the DC. 

It's funny bc with Bowles everyone, myself included, kept complaining and asking how much talent and how many premium picks does he need on the defensive side to field a good defense. Now, the Jets have a better defensive mind in the building and probably some of those same people who were complaining are desperately looking to draft another defensive guy in the top 3. It's ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

if you are not committed to having a good or great offense, don't use your 2018 #1 pick, as well as 3 2nd round picks, to trade up for a quarterback.  you would instead use veteran qbs like flacco or foles and try to win with defense.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

if you are not committed to having a good or great offense, don't use your 2018 #1 pick, as well as 3 2nd round picks, to trade up for a quarterback.  you would instead use veteran qbs like flacco or foles and try to win with defense.

You can't be committed to having a good or great offense unless you use your first rounder on offense?  Those Steelers must not be committed to offense at all. They must suck. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

You can't be committed to having a good or great offense unless you use your first rounder on offense?  Those Steelers must not be committed to offense at all. They must suck. 

the reality is that the jets have no 2nd rounder this year.  if they use the 3rd pick in the draft on defense, offense will not be addressed until maybe the 3rd round.  this is not how teams build around their young qbs when they're on rookie contracts.  

many of the same people here who are clamoring to take a DT at #3 will be leading the complaints when darnold is getting constantly harrassed and has no time to throw.  

mccagnan has a great opportunity to show that he's learned something about drafting and figure out how to trade back and get more picks.  if he gets at least a 2nd round pick in a trade back, then it's much easier to accept taking a defensive player in the first round.  they need a 2nd rounder, that's where they're probably going to get a real center.  

19 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Offense wins games in this day and age of the NFL, not defense. You have a potential Franchise QB to develop. A DT or Edge Rusher isn't going to do anything to help that happen. Having a sh*tty offensive line will do detriment to that process and will also render their $12 million HB pointless.

The mentality that says you have to have a top 10 defense to win is outdated. You don't even need a top 25 defense to go far in the playoffs and win a ton of games if you can put up points with a Franchise QB.

Plus, Rex schemed his way into a top defense without a true edge rusher why can't Williams? The Jets have enough talent on defense already to put together a top 15 defense, especially with Williams as the DC. 

It's funny bc with Bowles everyone, myself included, kept complaining and asking how much talent and how many premium picks does he need on the defensive side to field a good defense. Now, the Jets have a better defensive mind in the building and probably some of those same people who were complaining are desperately looking to draft another defensive guy in the top 3. It's ridiculous.

This didn't require a long explanation.  I gave a simple hypothetical situation to counter yours as a way of highlighting that the response would be the same only on the other side of the ball.  Neither one is a given.

We weren't discussing QB development and Darnold's development quite frankly has nothing to do with whether we go offense or defense with the 3rd pick.  Will have nothing to do with Darnold's development.  The OL wasn't bad enough to hinder him a year ago, isn't going to hinder him this year.  I'm sick of all the doom and gloom nonsense based on cliches, not fact.  Lets scare people over the imagined beating he'll have and claiming a mid first pick would have cured all.   You can have the leagues best OL and one hit can cause a season ending injury. 

If he can find a trading partner that makes sense, I agree, trade down and then go for line help.  If not, draft the best player at 3.  On no ones list is that a OL.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

We haven't had a legit edge rusher in a long time.  The top of this draft is filled with edge rushers and we are guaranteed to get a blue chip  one at #3.  We don't need an interior lineman. 

There is no scenario in my mind based on those facts that the logical conclusion is to pick Williams.  If we stay at #3, the pick has to be whoever is available out of Bosa and Allen.  I think another poor draft for Mac will be the tipping point in finally getting rid of him, so the pressure is on. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the reality is that the jets have no 2nd rounder this year.  if they use the 3rd pick in the draft on defense, offense will not be addressed until maybe the 3rd round.  this is not how teams build around their young qbs when they're on rookie contracts.  

many of the same people here who are clamoring to take a DT at #3 will be leading the complaints when darnold is getting constantly harrassed and has no time to throw.  

mccagnan has a great opportunity to show that he's learned something about drafting and figure out how to trade back and get more picks.  if he gets at least a 2nd round pick in a trade back, then it's much easier to accept taking a defensive player in the first round.  they need a 2nd rounder, that's where they're probably going to get a real center.  

If Murray and Bosa go 1&2, Tampa may oblige this to come up to get Q.Williams. That would give us #5 and #39, I believe. Also, may open up chance to deal further with a team that might want to get ahead of Giants to grab a QB. I know this probably has about a 15% chance of happening, but who knows?

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

We haven't had a legit edge rusher in a long time.  The top of this draft is filled with edge rushers and we are guaranteed to get a blue chip  one at #3.  We don't need an interior lineman. 

There is no scenario in my mind based on those facts that the logical conclusion is to pick Williams.  If we stay at #3, the pick has to be whoever is available out of Bosa and Allen.  I think another poor draft for Mac will be the tipping point in finally getting rid of him, so the pressure is on. 

Agree.  I think that as good as Williams is, hes too similar to what we already have on the team and the "drop off" if you want to call it that between Williams and Bosa/Allen isnt wide enough if it is, to keep you from going edge.

People forget we need one, as you said, have needed one for years. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Couldn’t agree more. Everyone wants them to upgrade the offense, but the problem is the Jets are are stuck at the top of a draft where there are no offensive prospects that warrant the value of the pick. Sucks, but it is reality. 

The Jets also more than anything else need high end talent anywhere on the team. The team is still below average on both sides and it probably isn’t going to be a one year fix. The problem for years now have been that they value low impact positions and take guys who are mediocre athletically. The “it hasn’t worked for us” sentiment is really because of those two reasons and not because that means we shouldn’t take the best player there. 

• Upvote 3