Herndon is going to have a monster year

I love Chris Herndon. He has the ability to become and remain a top 10 TE in the league for a very long time. My hope is only that he works hard and that he and Darnold form a rapport much like the top QB/TE connections. If they form a chemistry, they could be very tough to handle on 3rd and manageable passing situations especially with Bell being the threat that he is out of the backfield. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

44 minutes ago, jack48 said:

hope he does not face discipline.

Agreed. He likely will have to serve a suspension. The good news.... As much as I rolled my eyes and said "here we go again "when I learned of his dewee. I did feel  different about him once I witnessed in interviews how he carried himself. It appears he is a good young man who made a mistake. I can live with that. As long as he learns from it.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, carlito1171 said:

I like Herndon...I think he can be a solid TE for us.....I’m just not seeing “Elite” when it comes down it....would love to be proven wrong 

Elite TE's make tough catches (in my opinion). Herndon showed he has the ability to not only make the spectacular catches, but also the tough catches. Herndon simply needs to learn how to run more efficient and precise routes. Jason Witten was not an elite athlete, but he was an Elite TE in the NFL because he knew how to get open. I want to see Herndon step his game up in regard to route running and blocking. If he can, he will be elite. 

All that being said, I am with you. I don't think he will be an elite TE, but he has a chance to be a top 10-15 for a long time. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I like Herndon...I think he can be a solid TE for us.....I’m just not seeing “Elite” when it comes down it....would love to be proven wrong 

Watching his play as a rookie, with a rookie and over the hill QB I absolutely see the elite as a possibility of he continues to develop.  Love to know what about his game says he can't. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Gibby said:

Agreed. He likely will have to serve a suspension. The good news.... As much as I rolled my eyes and said "here we go again "when I learned of his dewee. I did feel  different about him once I witnessed in interviews how he carried himself. It appears he is a good young man who made a mistake. I can live with that. As long as he learns from it.

I agree.  New contract, new car, new dumb.  no one was hurt.  car was wrecked. Points on license. Probably was not driving 100 in a 30 mph zone. He did not threaten cop's wife sexually.  not a repeat offender.  He might get off light

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I definitely like Herndon, but as others mentioned, I don't think he's yet a guarantee for hitting that truly elite level.  While there was no reason to be even slightly unhappy about his rookie year, the honest truth is that he's also gotten a little over-hyped around here, although with good reason, thanks in large part due to a combination of the Jets' pretty awful history with both TEs and Maccagnan's mid-round draft picks.

He's no doubt got talent, but there's still plenty of hard work and progress needed from him in order for him to turn out what we all are hoping he will be.  If he were theoretically to plateau at this level for the rest of his career (not that I think that'll happen), no one will be overly excited if he's putting up a similar stat line in a couple of years, as he would simply be considered a "solid" starter.  Nothing wrong with giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he's still got a ways to go in order to live up to the hype.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he's suspended weeks 1 and 2 it's hard to get all hyped about a guy who won't start the season 

TE is still a need 

Agree we should have signed another TE even after Herndon comes back we can run two TE sets which the Pats do all the time and helps protect Brady while strengthening the run game

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Is this official?  

It's not but he pled guilty to DWI in Jan

According to the NFL’s substance abuse policy, a first-time offense for a law violation involving alcohol results in a two-game suspension.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/10/jets-chris-herndon-dui-nfl-suspension/

because Herndon was arrested at 0.14 (2x legal limit) and crashed going 100 mph he could face even more games if the league feels the incident was especially egregious. He's not going to get less tho

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lizard King said:

I have no doubt about it! No other info either lol. I just expect big things from Mr. One Hand Catch

I hope so.   I am friendly with people who know him.   They say he is a good kid.   Not fool proof, he's a kid, but a good person who works, so I hope he does really well.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Unlikely IMO.

Solid player for sure. Nice piece to the puzzle.

not explosive enough to be a “Monster”

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

Disagree.  He has some WR traits and run after the catch ability.  He's not a lumbering TE type and I think heading into his second season he could become....dare I say....a "weapon" for the offense.  We just need to see the normal expected progression of a player from his rookie season to his second year.  If he improves his game 5-10% across the board just from experience and continues to get more comfortable and into a rhythm with his QB as their reps continue then he could easily be the best TE in the AFCE this season.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

It’s crazy to think he left atleast 3 more touchdowns on field due to stepping out of bounds or not reaching out early in the season. 

Rookies.  The important traits I saw were good route running, excellent hands and RAC ability.  He seemed to improve throughout the season and definitely had a better second half than first half of the year.  I think the things you mentioned are good examples of correctable mistakes that he showed were being corrected as the season went on.  Lots of upside with this guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Some of you dudes are way too critical--he was great at Miami--extremely athletic, good hands, great after the catch and he showed it last year with a rookie QB and not a lot of other offensive talent around him. 

I know we're all just guessing but I think the guy is going to be an absolute monster for us for years.  The combo of a second year Sam and an innovator like Gase is going to make him shine.

Kind of bummed about him likely missing the first two games but he's one of the players I'm most excited about.   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets in general are about to have a monster year. This is a huge season coming up - 12-4

I hope you're right!  Those types of seasons do seem to come out of nowhere sometimes.  If things break the right way for the Jets and this new coaching staff, if Darnold emerges in his second year, if Bell is what we think he can be, if Gregg Williams dials it up on D with some new toys like Mosely and a top draft pick.....I wouldn't be shocked by a season with 10+ wins.  Although 7-9 is also a strong possibility. :P

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Rookies.  The important traits I saw were good route running, excellent hands and RAC ability.  He seemed to improve throughout the season and definitely had a better second half than first half of the year.  I think the things you mentioned are good examples of correctable mistakes that he showed were being corrected as the season went on.  Lots of upside with this guy.

I think he's a future pro bowler. If Gase is who we've been led to believe Herndon is going to have a very productive year.

7 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

you people need to put the pipe down....

PFF ranked him 12th TE in football last year AS A ROOKIE

With a full compliment of receivers around him, Bell, a no longer rookie QB and Gase designing mismatches, the dude is going to have an outstanding year.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

45 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I hope you're right!  Those types of seasons do seem to come out of nowhere sometimes.  If things break the right way for the Jets and this new coaching staff, if Darnold emerges in his second year, if Bell is what we think he can be, if Gregg Williams dials it up on D with some new toys like Mosely and a top draft pick.....I wouldn't be shocked by a season with 10+ wins.  Although 7-9 is also a strong possibility. :P

Agree

If the Jets can come up with an effective ER at 3, and a CB in the 3rd this could be a very surprising team IMO

The Jets seem to be compiling players that can put pressure on the middle of the defense. Herndon, Crowder, Bell, Enuwa - all players who will attack the middle of the field and put pressure on linebackers and nickel/dime backs on passing downs. It will be interesting to see how Gase approaches this apparent offensive strength. If he's successful at exploiting the middle of the field it may lead to more one on one opportunities for Anderson on the outside as defenses start to adjust.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Disagree.  He has some WR traits and run after the catch ability.  He's not a lumbering TE type and I think heading into his second season he could become....dare I say....a "weapon" for the offense.  We just need to see the normal expected progression of a player from his rookie season to his second year.  If he improves his game 5-10% across the board just from experience and continues to get more comfortable and into a rhythm with his QB as their reps continue then he could easily be the best TE in the AFCE this season.

I agree with most of this - the OP said it would be a "Monster" season and I just don't see that.