Good article on Jon Carr/ jets new director of college scouting

GREENBEAN

The article shows a little bit of what went on with the scouting dept abs the coaches which is pretty cool.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-scouting-director-jon-carr-things-are-riding-smoothly-with-adam-gase

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This is really good stuff Bean. I appreciate you posting something of merit in these times of high emotions and speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

More of a fluff piece than anything else, but here it is for those who struggle to click links: 

Jets Scouting Director Jon Carr: Things Are Riding Smoothly with Adam Gase 

EA 18-site

Eric Allen

SENIOR REPORTER

030819-carr-interview-part-1

Next week, Jets director of college scouting Jon Carr will experience his first draft with the Green & White. While Carr had familiarity with GM Mike Maccagnan and VP of Player Personnel Brian Heimerdinger from their days together in Houston, he had to jump into the fast lane this offseason and get up to speed with the team’s new head coach: Adam Gase.

“It’s been great. The first day he came in, I had a chance to meet with him and we were just talking about philosophy,” Carr said. “One of the most important things in any scouting department is you have to have a relationship with your coaching staff and understand what they’re looking for from a position description standpoint.”

Gase will run the offense with coordinator Dowell Loggains his top lieutenant. Known for his ability to create favorable matchups, move people to different spots and change his attack at the drop of a hat, Gase hired someone to lead the defense in Gregg Williams who shares those exact qualities.

“We spent a day with the offensive staff and then the next day, we spent with the defensive staff and each coach presented to the scouts. A lot of places don’t do that,” Carr said. “So it started off great. Now our scouts have an idea as far as what fits us, our philosophy, from offense, defense and special teams. So far, so good.”

In addition to the big names on the coaching staff and some of the key returnees, Carr believes Gase brought in valuable depth across the board. It’s a veteran staff that includes tight ends coach John Dunn, who was an assistant head coach/offensive coordinator at UConn, running backs coach Jim Bob Cooter, who called plays for the Detroit Lions, and assistant head coach defense/inside linebackers coach Frank Bush, who was an assistant head coach under Gase in Miami. Senior defensive assistant Joe Vitt is entering his 41st season in the NFL and Frank Pollack is one of the league’s most respected OL coaches.

“He’s a smart guy, extremely innovative from all the places he’s been,” Carr said of Gase. “He’s done a lot of good things from an offensive standpoint. But at the same time, he’s hired some extremely smart coaches as well, guys who’ve had head coaching experience, guys who have been coordinators at other places.”

For the second consecutive April, the Jets will head into the draft holding the No. 3 overall selection. But they’ll enter the weekend with the QB box checked in a big way as they have gone to work on building around Sam Darnold.

“Now that you have that guy in place, it’s big when you can look for certain players to make him even better,” Carr said of the USC product who flourished in December. “That’s from the offensive line to wide receiver group, even from a defensive perspective. It’s huge. I’m not going to say it’s easy because you still have to evaluate all the other quarterbacks who come out every year. But it’s always comforting to know you have a guy there.”

The QB situation mirrors what Carr witnessed in Houston. The Texans drafted Clemson’s Deshaun Watson with the 12th overall selection in the 2017 NFL draft and Watson is off to a very good professional start. Over 23 regular-season games, he has connected on 66.4 percent of his passes for 5,864 yards with 45 touchdowns and only 17 interceptions. Watson, who also has rushed for 820 yards and seven scores, is known just as much for his intangibles as his physical traits. In Darnold, Carr believes the Jets have someone who is also a natural leader.

“It’s funny, I was telling the coaches at the time and also Mike that those guys almost have the same demeanor. When they walk into a room, you see the leadership qualities to them,” Carr said. “And I’ll never forget my first day, I saw Sam Darnold in the lobby and it’s like 6 a.m. and he’s the first guy in the building. And it was the same way with Deshaun Watson. Those guys play on the big stage and they’re never rattled. I was excited to see that you leave a place that has a good young quarterback and you’re coming in and you have a guy that has the same traits. So super excited about that.”

A draft is always a year in the making and Carr and the rest of the team’s college scouts will experience their gamedays next weekend. Carr, who initially replaced Maccagnan as the Texans’ scouting director when Mac became GM of the Jets in 2015, goes back a long way with his boss and is appreciative of the group who scouted hundreds of prospects this year all over the map.

“Obviously I had a relationship with Mike when we were together in Houston for about six or seven years,” he said. “There is a lot of familiarity as far as the way he does things and what he did in Houston, so that was great. And then things I learned the last three or four years as the director in Houston, I kind of brought that in and we kind of sat down and put it all together. So it’s been great. We’ve got a great group of scouts. They’ve worked extremely hard.”

57 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Everything is a fluff piece now, long gone are the great sports writers.  

This crap is all some of you young ones know.

Can't argue with the puff piece comment, but glad to read this bit and surprised at the comment that alot of places don't do this.

We spent a day with the offensive staff and then the next day, we spent with the defensive staff and each coach presented to the scouts. A lot of places don’t do that,” Carr said

23 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Can't argue with the puff piece comment, but glad to read this bit and surprised at the comment that alot of places don't do this.

We spent a day with the offensive staff and then the next day, we spent with the defensive staff and each coach presented to the scouts. A lot of places don’t do that,” Carr said

One can find little nuggets in “fluff” pieces, if you care to find them.

14 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

In New York??  Can’t do that out here, no one controls the sports press here.

That and the young beat guys are more interested in thinking they’re buddies with the players than actually asking difficult questions.

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

In New York??  Can’t do that out here, no one controls the sports press here.

This isn’t the press. Eric Allen works for the Jets. This is from their website and is basically propaganda. Still a good read though. 

My impressions from watching this were:

• Carr is not the next great scouting mind.
  • He is cronies with Mac.
  • He will be greatly influenced by who the coaches want.

I think as a general matter the model for Jets GM is to draft who the coaches want, because the coaches suck up the Johnsons and have their ear.  It worked when Mangini was the coach, because he understood talent and who fit in his system.  Idzik may have been picking his own players, with Bradway and the others scouting.   I do think Williams and maybe Gase will help draft better players.  

13 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

I just hope he keeps the fort hays st pipeline open

I actually looked that up before posting.  The guy who scouted Shepherd left for the Texans after the 2018 draft to work with their new GM.  The Texans fired the guy who had picked Watson the year before.  

The Texans fired Carr along with the guy who drafted Watson.  We picked up Carr who was a scout for the Texans who worked under Mac.

These guys are not the Eagles, Packers, Patriots, Steelers or Chiefs scouts.  These guys are knuckleheads.  

52 minutes ago, varjet said:

These guys are not the Eagles, Packers, Patriots, Steelers or Chiefs scouts.  These guys are knuckleheads.  

Should’ve opened the piggy bank for whoever scouts skill position players for the Steelers, or the chiefs as plan B

6 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Carr did his job.  He met the press and didnot say anything

We will know soon enough if the Jets know what they are doing in drafting.  Mac has yet to outsmart the various Mock Draft Boards.  His picks have been worse than the Best Available.  For a team with a roster with as many holes as the Jets, the third round picks need to make the roster deservingly and play.  

Archived