Sign in to follow this  
RJIII

Mike Leach/Kingsbury - Air Raid/NFL

For those of you wondering how the Air Raid will translate to the NFL take a look at this video. It's 30 minutes but a very well done mini documentary of the Mike Leach coaching tree and how the Air Raid works. Draw your own conclusions but this style offense is tough to stop at any level. Also think some of you may be shocked to see the just how many coaches/players, etc come from Leach and Texas Tech. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/rpVERe-MqOI

Uhm, but there is a lot more to a coach than what type of offense he runs. 

The case against Kingsbury has nothing to do with what offense he runs, it has to do with him being 35-40 as a COLLEGE HC (at Texas Tech, for f*ck's sake). Basically, what did he do to earn an NFL head coaching job?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Uhm, but there is a lot more to a coach than what type of offense he runs. 

The case against Kingsbury has nothing to do with what offense he runs, it has to do with him being 35-40 as a COLLEGE HC (at Texas Tech, for f*ck's sake). Basically, what did he do to earn an NFL head coaching job?

It's not just about Kingsbury, it's more about how the Air Raid translates to the NFL. It's actually more about the coaching tree of Mike Leach. If you follow college football you may be surprised how many players/coaches are under him. If you're a football junkie and want to really understand the air raid its and interesting video, nothing more. Interesting takes on Rosen/Murray as well. 

EDIT: I don't disagree he probably got the opportunity pre mature but he got it and he's there. For the record this organization didn't want him to interview at Arizona.

• Upvote 1

I'm not buying this for a second.  First off, the guy who made the video was also the guy who loved Christian Hackenberg.  Second, we heard the same type of noise about Steve Spurrier's offense.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RJIII said:

It's not just about Kingsbury, it's more about how the Air Raid translates to the NFL. It's actually more about the coaching tree of Mike Leach. If you follow college football you may be surprised how many players/coaches are under him. If you're a football junkie and want to really understand the air raid its and interesting video, nothing more. Interesting takes on Rosen/Murray as well. 

EDIT: I don't disagree he probably got the opportunity pre mature but he got it and he's there. For the record this organization didn't want him to interview at Arizona.

I have no issue with the Air Raid. That's all cool. 

I tend to think scheme is drastically overrated. Most schemes can work with the right personnel. That's always been my feeling. 

And maybe this organization didn't want him to interview in Arizona, but I'm personally glad he did. I don't think he earned the right to be an NFL head coach and I would not have been happy if this organization gave him the keys to the castle. 

• Upvote 2

http://footballscoop.com/news/air-raid-philosophy-xs-os/

Coach Harrell explains the Air Raid is more a philosophy than a scheme.  He was pretty impressed with the running backs on the team when he and the RB coach arrived on campus, big and fast.

I would venture to guess that no offense is more Googled among offensive and defensive coordinator (and aspiring coordinators) than the Air Raid. Both sides of the ball would love to unlock the secrets of the offense that always seems to put up video game numbers regardless of the experience of the quarterback behind center, and that fascination has trickled up to the NFL, where coaches love the efficiency, simplicity, and effectiveness of some of the offenses best known staples.

Ask any Air Raid disciple that has branched off of the tree of Hal Mumme and Mike Leach what the hottest system in college football is really all about and you’ll get an answer that it’s deeper than Mesh and Shallow – it’s more a way of thinking of thinking about football.

ADVERTISEMENT

During a recent sit down with reporters, that’s exactly what new USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell, who was one of a long line of Air Raid quarterbacks who saw success under Leach at Texas Tech, explains right as the clip starts.

“It’s kind of like the West Coast. The West Coast offense can be a 22 personnel offense or it can be a spread offense. It can be a the terminology. Where, to me, the Air Raid offense is more of a philosophy rather than actual X’s and O’s.

“I think that’s what coach Leach has done such a great job of, and why what they call the Air Raid has had so much success no matter where it has been, is because, again, to me it’s more of a philosophy than a scheme and the philosophy is to keep it easy and let guys go play. Put your guys in a position to be successful. It’s an execution based offense, you’re not going to sit there and try to out scheme people. It’s an identity. It gives you an identity and says ‘This is who we are and we’re going to be good at what we do.’

See more from Harrell in the clip below.

• Upvote 1

Offense is about creating open lanes for running backs and scheming WRs open, with options vs zone and man coverage.  How you do it or what you call it doesnt matter.

Leach is great because hes intelligent and won't get caught up in "traditional", antiquated schemes.  If the odds on a specific play are in favor of a pass as to what will get you the best yardage, you should pass, regardless of what has been the norm in the NFL.

Im not sure if his eccentricities can hold up in the NFL but hes a smart guy

• Upvote 2

I am tired of hearing about how Kingsbury and his air raid is going to be so amazing. I am calling it now he will be chip Kelly 2.0

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I’ve said it a hundred times, the air raid  and spread offenses work great in college because they were designed to exploit the massive mis-matches of talent you get in college players.  In the NFL, where you don’t see those huge talent gaps, it’s less effective.  I love Mike Leach, but his system as run in college will not be nearly as effective in the NFL.  There are concepts that you can take away and incorporate into an NFL scheme, but the tempo and the number of pass attempts is not sustainable in the NFL. 

Also, when these Big12 teams run into opponents who actually play defense they get exposed and laughed at.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ve said it a hundred times, the air raid  and spread offenses work great in college because they were designed to exploit the massive mis-matches of talent you get in college players.  In the NFL, where you don’t see those huge talent gaps, it’s less effective.  I love Mike Leach, but his system as run in college will not be nearly as effective in the NFL.  There are concepts that you can take away and incorporate into an NFL scheme, but the tempo and the number of pass attempts is not sustainable in the NFL. 

Also, when these Big12 teams run into opponents who actually play defense they get exposed and laughed at.   

Wasn't it 28-0 last year about one quarter into the game when Alabama put the cheerleaders in against Oklahoma?

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I am tired of hearing about how Kingsbury and his air raid is going to be so amazing. I am calling it now he will be chip Kelly 2.0

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Doubt he'll even be that good.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, section314 said:

Wasn't it 28-0 last year about one quarter into the game when Alabama put the cheerleaders in against Oklahoma?

OU just wasn’t ready to play at the start of that game.  They got punched in the mouth right away, and took them way too long to respond.  

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

OU just wasn’t ready to play at the start of that game.  They got punched in the mouth right away, and took them way too long to respond.  

Agreed, but that falls on the coach, another one of these "wonder guys'" floating around in college. He only had 3 weeks to prepare. 😁

proof in pudding

Image result for pudding

Good video, learned a lot about the air raid system that I didnt know. I think modified versions can and will work on the next level but the Cards got a coach who has been in this system for 20 years and he couldnt win with it in college even with having the players he picked for his system. I think he just isnt a good coach and the system may help but my money is on the Cards having a top pick again next year because that defense is going to lose them a LOT of games. 

On 4/18/2019 at 7:30 AM, sec101row23 said:

I’ve said it a hundred times, the air raid  and spread offenses work great in college because they were designed to exploit the massive mis-matches of talent you get in college players

Exactly this