Sign in to follow this  
RoadFan

Colorado State WR Preston Williams

This is almost certainly a mute point as it pertains to the Jets because he has a red flag incident with an ex-girlfriend.  A Macc no-no.  It kept him from getting an invite to the combine.  He was originally at the University of Tennessee.

6'4" 210.

I saw Williams play in person in Gainesville against Florida back in September.   He scorched them with 9/106.  And I'm telling you... if the QB didn't miss a few throws, it would have been more like 12/200/2. 

He was the Rams' only offensive threat, and the Gators secondary was no match for Williams.  He was beating press, man, zone, double teams, everything.  They knew what was coming, and were helpless to stop it.  I couldn't take my eyes off the best offensive player on the field that day.

He didn't have the ideal pro day as for timed measurables.  But his stats of 96/1345/14 line during his senior season speaks for itself. 

Nobody seems to be talking about him because it is so uncertain where he will be drafted, and some teams probably even removed Williams from their board entirely.  He could be selected anywhere from the 2nd round to the 6th. 

I am a believer in this kid's talents...  

• Upvote 3

We've talked about him about a couple times in here. Because Preston was guilty of domestic abuse type behavior AND industry word is that he hasn't exactly "done a 180" with his attitude/life -- he needed to have a lights out draft circuit. He didn't. His measurables were as "meh" as it gets, and a closer look at his tape revealed some troubling inconsistencies. It's hard to root for him if he's still a dirt bag too.

UDFA is what i expect. On the field, i think his ceiling isn't much better than Justin Hunter. More likely, his floor is Da'Rick Rogers.. who went UD because he was a dingus too, and never put it altogether... (notice how I kept it all vol?)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Paradis said:

We've talked about him about a couple times in here. Because Preston was guilty of domestic abuse type behavior AND industry word is that he hasn't exactly "done a 180" with his attitude/life -- he needed to have a lights out draft circuit. He didn't. His measurables were as "meh" as it gets, and a closer look at his tape revealed some troubling inconsistencies. It's hard to root for him if he's still a dirt bag too.

UDFA is what i expect. On the field, i think his ceiling isn't much better than Justin Hunter. More likely, his floor is Da'Rick Rogers.. who went UD because he was a dingus too, and never put it altogether... (notice how I kept it all vol?)

Kid could have been pretty good if he could have kept his head on straight, well I guess if someone could have gotten it straight and kept it there. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

I have plenty of respect for your opinions, and often feel similarly... our Le'Veon Bell disagreement notwithstanding...

But I trust my eyes with this kid more than what a stopwatch says, and I saw what I think is an NFL receiver that day.

I've been wrong plenty.  I was wrong about Mariota, although I think I was right about Jameis so I'm calling it a near wash.  I missed on OBJ and Michael Thomas.  Didn't see them as special.

The difficult thing is I don't get to sit in an interview room with Preston Williams, or talk to people that know him, have played with him, coached him, etc.

15 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I have plenty of respect for your opinions, and often feel similarly... our Le'Veon Bell disagreement notwithstanding...

But I trust my eyes with this kid more than what a stopwatch says, and I saw what I think is an NFL receiver that day.

I've been wrong plenty.  I was wrong about Mariota, although I think I was right about Jameis so I'm calling it a near wash.  I missed on OBJ and Michael Thomas.  Didn't see them as special.

The difficult thing is I don't get to sit in an interview room with Preston Williams, or talk to people that know him, have played with him, coached him, etc.

I've been looking at Preston for a while and I talked to @Paradis about him and yes, I like him as a player, love his speed size athleticism combo but I fear that DV charge will take him completely off our board.

It's why I've jumped on the Hurd Train. 

I really want that 6-4 or 6-5 guy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stark said:

Kid could have been pretty good if he could have kept his head on straight, well I guess if someone could have gotten it straight and kept it there. 

I thought he had the potential to be Dez’s doppelgänger had he not been a meathead. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Trust your gut, it’s all you really have. I didn’t think much of Thomas either. I said “Meh” but I didn’t watch a ton of film either. I can’t explain it, but I just don’t make time for Big 10 WRs. Never have. Didn’t bother with Robinson, Funchess, Devin Thomas and Smith etc.... think last guy I really liked was Roy Hall or Braylon Edwards...  I should probably change that.

He does have fans out there - well fans of his tape, not sure how many have faith in the person. Guess we’ll find out next weekend. I saw too many lapses in focus and technique to overlook the character stuff. I think he’s been skating on natural talent and too busy being a gangster instead of a professional. 

We’ll never the get chance to sit on interviews unfortunately. So there’ll always be that gap in what we’re working with 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Trust your gut, it’s all you really have. I didn’t think much of Thomas either. I said “Meh” but I didn’t watch a ton of film either. I can’t explain it, but I just don’t make time for Big 10 WRs. Never have. Didn’t bother with Robinson, Funchess, Devin Thomas and Smith etc.... think last guy I really liked was Roy Hall or Braylon Edwards...  I should probably change that.

He does have fans out there - well fans of his tape, not sure how many have faith in the person. Guess we’ll find out next weekend. I saw too many lapses in focus and technique to overlook the character stuff. I think he’s been skating on natural talent and too busy being a gangster instead of a professional. 

We’ll never the get chance to sit on interviews unfortunately. So there’ll always be that gap in what we’re working with 

The bold is a problem.  I believe you 100% when you say you saw these things. We know that a player won't succeed in the NFL if he doesn't grow up and refine his technique.  That is guaranteed.

But an all too common error I feel that NFL scouts make is that they put too much stock in the stopwatch and not the production.  Drafting on potential instead of what a player has already shown to be capable of.

The knock on Williams should primarily be character, and that is a justifiable concern.  I think it is a huge mistake to worry about timed cone drills when his numbers and a significant portion of his tape tell an entirely different story.

• Like 1

Williams has been extremely impressive at OTAs.  He has been the talk of camp.  He even earned snaps with the 1s. 

@TNJet  lol what kind of trash is this? downvoting a post from pre-draft april?... a neutral post outline some off field concerns that followed him into the draft cycle?

da fuq is that about, mang

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

@TNJet  lol what kind of trash is this? downvoting a post from pre-draft april?... a neutral post outline some off field concerns that followed him into the draft cycle?

da fuq is that about, mang

Just a jab back for the jab at my favorite university. 😁

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2019 at 8:30 AM, Philc1 said:

Dude is gonna wreck our crap secondary on Sunday

That is exactly what he is doing...