What Jets need to make playoffs ?

Jamax99

So my son asked me if Jets could make playoffs,  told him right now probally not.    But here are a few things I told him  that would help them win 10 games, let me know what you guys would do to win , plus Macc is in a must win.  1-  Reach out to Cinncy  offer them a 3rd pick for AJ green,  think coming off injury and $$ might be able ,  WR corp set!!.     #2- reach out to Seattle for Frank Clark or houston Clowney offer next years 2nd pick. 3- draft Q Williams ,  if hes gone trade back 6-10 range and  draft Jawan Taylor or T J hockenson.    With added picks  a 2nd and 1st next year.  I  draft ELgton Jenkins w 2nd , with the 2021 1st we get along with a 3rd trade back into first and draft top corner,  GReedy, Byron Murphy , D baker.

So adding players , and draft picks not sure on salary cap.  Might be close. 

Aj green

Frank Clark or Clowney

Qw or  Jawan Taylor and Top corner. 

Elgton Jenkins. 

4th a wr or rb

5th a tackle.

6th  a DT   ??    

Just a thought , NOT a Pro blogger here so do not jump on me lol 

Adding Clark definitely helps the rush I’m with you on that one but i’d rather hold on to that 3rd rounder for Green. I would trade a 4th (which they wouldn’t do) but we need those 3rds for OL I think Mac should 100% go OL with both rnd 3 picks as long as the values there. IMO this is the draft that will set us up for the playoffs. Adding Clark, then adding Allen/Bosa/ at 3 (If you can’t get a realistic trade offer to pass on a stud) is huge. We’d go from no edge rush to a top unit in the league but the 3rd round is where we’ll make the money. Macs got to be able to find quality productive olineman later in the draft which has been one of his weakest points as Gm. 

He hit you with a tough question.

I would tell your son this season is not about making the playoffs.  It is about watching Sam get better, filling a few more holes on the roster,  and getting ready to win the whole thing in 2020.

It would be a nice surprise to make the playoffs this season, but nothing more.

Maybe a tough concept for a kid that hasn't experienced decades of losing... but I feel it's the truth.

24 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

The honest thing they need is for darnold to play like his last two games of the season all season long. If he can do that we will make the playoffs regardless of how bad the team is around him. A corner would help and more help on the offensive line but darnold is the key

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

not just darnold but the whole team.  darnold is the main piece but if bell doesn't produce or enunwa gets injured or robbie doesn't get above the 55% catch mark, and so on then they will have some problems.  they need to score points.  if they can score about 24 per game they'll make the playoffs.

26 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

The honest thing they need is for darnold to play like his last two games of the season all season long. If he can do that we will make the playoffs regardless of how bad the team is around him. A corner would help and more help on the offensive line but darnold is the key

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes if Sam plays like the Franchise QB we expect then Gase and Mac will look like a geniuses.

No one ever asks what the Pats Pack or the Saints need to make the playoffs no matter how bad the team is on paper. 

I believe there are three keys for the Jets to make the playoffs and go to the Super Bowl.

1) The Jets need to solidify every position on both the offense and defense. (Right now the team isn't a whole)

2)  The team can't let garbage in the locker room like in the past, that disrupts the teams chemistry.

3) They need to play mistake free football!!! No more dumb penalties that kill drives!!!

Twq of those keys the coaching staff have to put it in the players head!!!

Above .500 in the division , conference and at home 

stay healthy and get some breaks 

I honestly think this defense is a pass rusher away from being sick and if bell is bell and Q and Robby start 24 games between them the offense can be productive enough to win against the big boys 

1) Jets need Darnold to play like he did when he returned from injury. 

2) Team has to stay relatively healthy

3) Team needs to add a high caliber edge defender 

4) Team needs to add an average starting center

5) Team needs to add a quality backup WR. Even if the team stays mostly healthy, cant expect our receivers to not miss some games considering their history

6) upgrade CB #2

If all that happens, we can make the playoffs. #3 and #4 fall on Macc. He has to get that done this offseason. 

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

We need to learn to win close games and put away opponents when leading early. 

We have always struggled in those two key departments. I think we need to sweep the bills and dolphins split with pats 

Why. Defense can't get off field on third down. Why. Pass rush.

2 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

They play in a crap division, they need a team all pulling one way. Plus split with N.E.. It shouldn't be that hard they have one team in their Division.

even if the Jets are 10-5 going into week 17 at Buffalo and Buffalo is 4-11, that's going to be a war. 

the amount of fans assuming the Jets will go 4-2 in the division or better is too dam high

this team won 4 games last year total everyone expects them to sweep Buffalo and Miami?

those games are always wars no matter what the records are.

I feel like we all should know this by now

As mentioned above, Darnold has to play as well as he did last 4 games.  Think this will happen.  Think Gase is going to have a huge impact on him.

MUST find an ER and a CB.  Think they'll get the edge at 3.  The CB is going to be a major problem.  Don't see where that is coming from unless they get real lucky in the  3rd.

Bell has to be at the top of his game again.

OL stays healthy.

Archived