Jets "Determined" to Trade Down

slats

Probably not really news, but this has been my belief all along. As opposed to what this blurb says, I think he'll take less than the draft pick trade chart to get himself another couple picks - particularly that valuable second rounder. But "determined," feels right to me. 

Report: Jets “determined” to trade down

Posted by Charean Williams on April 19, 2019, 3:04 PM EDT
gettyimages-461896686-e1555700639100.jpg
Getty Images

The Jets have the third overall pick and expect to have one of the top defensive players on the board. That doesn’t mean, though, they will stay put.

According to Ralph Vacchiano of SNY, the Jets seem “determined” to trade down.

While Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan has said several times he’s “open” to the idea, it appears instead he’s intent on selling the team’s first-rounder for additional picks. The Jets currently have only six selections and gave up their second-rounder this year to move up for Sam Darnold last year.

The Jets, in fact, gave up three third-round picks (as well as the sixth overall pick) in the trade with the Colts. Maccagnan would expect as much in return for the No. 3 choice this year.

To move down, though, the Jets have to find someone willing to trade up. Much depends on what the Cardinals do with the first overall choice, so it’s more likely the Jets could get a deal after Arizona’s pick is made rather than before the draft.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, derp said:

If everything this week is misinformation they’re taking Allen at 3.

I think it’s legit.  He’s probably been speaking to gms about it for a while.  If it’s a 2nd round pick he’s after, that’s probably where he wants to get his center.

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mike Maccagnan trades down he gets fleeced book it. 

we can always hope he gets a fair deal.  I wouldn't bet on it.  Supply/demand. We are always on the wrong side of it, so it seems.

Ive been saying all along...... trade down and get less than the draft chart value.

the draft chart assumes every draft has the same talent. It does NOT. There are very few studs and NO qbs. 

The value of anything is fluid and ultimately everything is worth only what someone is willing to pay. This is the draft value charts flaw...

this is an UNusual draft and we have UNusual needs. 

If mac picks up a second rounder i am happy. There is no “fleecing” this year.

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mike Maccagnan trades down he gets fleeced book it. 

Trading down is the right move and I give him credit for apparently trying like hell to do it. Tough with the QB moves that have already happened and this can all be a smokescreen so who knows. It at least seems like he’s trying to make the right move.

Trying and executing are 2 different things. Will it be poor execution or just not having anyone willing to trade up? We will see. 

nice the article is so accurate.  it said they traded 3 third rounders when in fact it was three 2nds.  oh well it wouldn't be the first time the press gets something wrong.  anyway, imo it would be great if they did trade down and get fair value for the pick.  the problem i see is that the qb's just aren't that exciting.  is it true the cardinals are so quick to move on from rosen?  it could be some smoke screen here.  the niners and jets don't need a qb so that means the teams in the hunt are coming from the 4th pick and back.  unless the raiders are determined to take a qb there's no need for any team to jump into the top 3.  again, the qb's just aren't that exciting.

9 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Trading down is the right move and I give him credit for apparently trying like hell to do it. Tough with the QB moves that have already happened and this can all be a smokescreen so who knows. It at least seems like he’s trying to make the right move.

Trying and executing are 2 different things. Will it be poor execution or just not having anyone willing to trade up? We will see. 

Depends on the player chosen in the pick spots acquired in the trade down. I like our chances of getting at least 1 impact player at 3 vs Mike Maccagnan bundle things and pick 2-3 slugs who wont be part of this roster in 2 years. 

This comes from Ralph Vacchiano, who has been saying this for weeks.

For what its worth, he also said that he heard the Jets weren't interested in and wouldn't sign L Bell and before that one he said that Chris Johnson and Macc were really impressed with M McCarthy and he was their guy, their only guy.

Hope he's right this time

11 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

If the main goal is a 2nd rounder, the fewer spots he moves back the better.  If he goes back to, say, 11 or 12, he’ll get fleeced more than if he moves back to 5 or 6.

in the end i think he will be able to move back, and i think the giants and gettleman will be the ones to bite. 

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If the main goal is a 2nd rounder, the fewer spots he moves back the better.  If he goes back to, say, 11 or 12, he’ll get fleeced more than if he moves back to 5 or 6.

in the end i think he will be able to move back, and i think the giants and gettleman will be the ones to bite. 

No, if he moves back to 11 or 12 instead of 5 or six he gets a hell of a lot more than the move to 5 or 6, don't you think?  Last year the price from 6 to 3 was 3 2's, not one

25 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Ive been saying all along...... trade down and get less than the draft chart value.

the draft chart assumes every draft has the same talent. It does NOT. There are very few studs and NO qbs. 

The value of anything is fluid and ultimately everything is worth only what someone is willing to pay. This is the draft value charts flaw...

this is an UNusual draft and we have UNusual needs. 

If mac picks up a second rounder i am happy. There is no “fleecing” this year.

This is an excellent point. 

If Macc is determined to do something, I wouldn’t bet against him. He did trade up for a FQB after all.

Jets trade #3 and their two 3rd round picks for 

Washington’s 15th pick AND the 227th pick

Dont Bet against Macc. You’ll always lose.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if Mac takes slightly less than value to move down I'm ok with it.

I really want quality AND quantity and not having the second rounder at a spot where a really good Center could be sitting is important to me.

With all the questions about Bosa and Allen and Williams, if we moved down and grabbed a Burns or a Sweat or even Jonah Williams later in Round 1 and got the C in round 2, if we took less than a "king's ransom" I'd actually be ok with it.  

Unfortunately there is no franchise QB to command that compensation so if we don't get a huge haul but enough to address the OLine and Edge I'm good.  

Get a CB with our second pick in round 3 and Jalen Hurd in 4 and it'll be a pretty good draft.  

Archived