Greg Gabriel: The hot name to the Jets at #3 - Ed Oliver

BCJet

Gabriel's tweet goes on to say that hes been told Greg Williams loves Oliver and is the influence behind the pick.  For what its worth Brian Costello mentioned that this is the 2nd time this week someone has linked Oliver to us, the first was in Daniel Jermiah's mock draft.

I have not idea the credibility of Gabriel or Jeremiah as far as knowing what the Jets want to do but I cannot think of a worse scenario.  Oliver is a lot riskier of a pick then either Allen or Williams and after watching the film review of him on turnonthejets.com he seems like more of a DE to me then a DT, but not a speed rusher so we would essentially be going back to the 3-4 DE route with a first round pick yet again, which is absurd.  

We should all pray that we can move down, because this story really makes me question what will happen if no one clear cut falls to Mac and he has to make an actual decision.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Larz said:

Assuming that this is true and that the reason is actually that williams loves him that’s ok with me 

mr Williams knows more about his defense than I do 

with that said this is lying season 

It could well be that mccagnan has intel that teams want Oliver.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Um quick question for your circle jerk, how many sacks did he have in his last college season? 

He played NT most of the time which is completely out of his position. All metrics show that when positioned properly, Oliver's pass rushing numbers increased significantly.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Former West Coast scout Brian Shields, who was involved in the scouting of quarterback Sam Darnold, was hired as the senior manager of football research and analytics, a new position in the organization. He's a Princeton graduate with a business background, but he's not just a numbers guy, as he spent five years on the scouting trail with the Jets and Los Angeles Rams

Worth noting that Heimerdinger also came out of the Rams scouting department, but I’m too lazy to see if these guys were there at the same time. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, KRL said:

People need to remember that Williams was Aaron Donald's first DC
in the pros.  So his opinion should carry a lot of weight because
he saw/developed Donald when he first broke in

Thats a good point, but the issue is that Donald and Oliver aren't comparable players because in addition to both having elite quickness, Donald is extremely strong for a 280 lb player and Oliver's biggest issue is the ability to hold up vs the run at 280 lbs as he isnt as strong.

Oliver isnt a DT in our defense, he is a 3-4 DE which is not what you spend the #3 pick on.  What we would need to do, in my opinion, is to have him play more of a 4-3 DE and play at 270 where he can use his elite quickness as an "edge rusher" but theres obviously a risk with having a guy change positions after taking them that high.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Number crunchers: After some initial reluctance, the Jets are embracing the increased role of analytics in the NFL. No, they're not becoming a "moneyball" team, but they recently expanded their analytics department.

Former West Coast scout Brian Shields, who was involved in the scouting of quarterback Sam Darnold, was hired as the senior manager of football research and analytics, a new position in the organization. He's a Princeton graduate with a business background, but he's not just a numbers guy, as he spent five years on the scouting trail with the Jets and Los Angeles Rams. Jason Mulholland, a graduate of The Wharton School at Penn, is the manager of football analytics.

Thanks—I missed this somehow. We’ve been way behind the league on analytics for a while, so this is encouraging. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Thats a good point, but the issue is that Donald and Oliver aren't comparable players because in addition to both having elite quickness, Donald is extremely strong for a 280 lb player and Oliver's biggest issue is the ability to hold up vs the run at 280 lbs as he isnt as strong.

Oliver isnt a DT in our defense, he is a 3-4 DE which is not what you spend the #3 pick on.  What we would need to do, in my opinion, is to have him play more of a 4-3 DE and play at 270 where he can use his elite quickness as an "edge rusher" but theres obviously a risk with having a guy change positions after taking them that high.

He is a DT. He was great against the run as a 280 lbs NT. He is in the 81th percentile for Bench Press reps and put up more than Christians Wilkins and Jerry Tillery, legit first round tackles. He’s plenty strong and proven against the run. 

• Upvote 2