Greg Gabriel: The hot name to the Jets at #3 - Ed Oliver

BCJet

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Step 1: Draft nothing but DL for 86 drafts in a row. Fail miserably. Fire GM that did it.

Step 2: Hire new GM, spend the next several drafts drafting the same DL positions the last guy ****ed up. Draft quarterback in between, draft nothing to support him.

Step 3: Profit? 

the jets haven’t had the chance to draft a player like ed oliver in the first round 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Gabriel's tweet goes on to say that hes been told Greg Williams loves Oliver and is the influence behind the pick.  For what its worth Brian Costello mentioned that this is the 2nd time this week someone has linked Oliver to us, the first was in Daniel Jermiah's mock draft.

I have not idea the credibility of Gabriel or Jeremiah as far as knowing what the Jets want to do but I cannot think of a worse scenario.  Oliver is a lot riskier of a pick then either Allen or Williams and after watching the film review of him on turnonthejets.com he seems like more of a DE to me then a DT, but not a speed rusher so we would essentially be going back to the 3-4 DE route with a first round pick yet again, which is absurd.  

We should all pray that we can move down, because this story really makes me question what will happen if no one clear cut falls to Mac and he has to make an actual decision.

this is what I’ve been hoping for. oliver is going to remind gregg williams of myles garrett

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Step 1: Draft nothing but DL for 86 drafts in a row. Fail miserably. Fire GM that did it.

Step 2: Hire new GM, spend the next several drafts drafting the same DL positions the last guy ****ed up. Draft quarterback in between, draft nothing to support him.

Step 3: Profit? 

You forgot: trade for All-pro capable guard, sign sure handed slot receiver and sign the best pass catching and possibly best running back in the league.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

On 4/19/2019 at 5:53 PM, BCJet said:

Thats a good point, but the issue is that Donald and Oliver aren't comparable players because in addition to both having elite quickness, Donald is extremely strong for a 280 lb player and Oliver's biggest issue is the ability to hold up vs the run at 280 lbs as he isnt as strong.

Oliver isnt a DT in our defense, he is a 3-4 DE which is not what you spend the #3 pick on.  What we would need to do, in my opinion, is to have him play more of a 4-3 DE and play at 270 where he can use his elite quickness as an "edge rusher" but theres obviously a risk with having a guy change positions after taking them that high.

They both weigh about the same & Oliver did 3 less reps on the bench... I Don't see a significant strength difference... I Will Say Oliver WILL Be an ALL PRO in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

Just now, kdels62 said:

You forgot: trade for All-pro capable guard, sign sure handed slot receiver and sign the best pass catching and possibly best running back in the league.

You get lots of chances to be a FA hero GM when you can't draft worth shi* because you are never signing the guys you pick.  This is macs 2nd full all ut fa spending session. 

Just now, Beerfish said:

I do not want a dlineman in the 1st round.  I badly want to trade down and get at least two quality olineman before the end of round 3.

Having said that.  Oliver over Quinnen Williams every day.

I 100% believe oliver can play a 3-4 rush LB like terrell suggs. he’s every bit as fast as bosa and allen at 281 lb

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

You get lots of chances to be a FA hero GM when you can't draft worth shi* because you are never signing the guys you pick.  This is macs 2nd full all ut fa spending session. 

I didn’t say that this excused Macc’s failures but it counters the narrative that Macc hasn’t spent on Darnold.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And why did we have to pay for those guys again? 

Because he’s not a good drafter. But making bad picks at different positions isn’t the solution. It’s kind of more of the problem except instead of you whining it’s someone who “knows that quinnen is bust proof.”

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

He is a DT. He was great against the run as a 280 lbs NT. He is in the 81th percentile for Bench Press reps and put up more than Christians Wilkins and Jerry Tillery, legit first round tackles. He’s plenty strong and proven against the run. 

So bench press means you can play the run in the NFL?

Im not a scout, I just enjoy reading about the draft so here is what is out there that refutes your opinion.

From Draftanalyst:  Lacks bulk and power and gets easily controlled by a single blocker. 

From TheJetsBlog: Perhaps more important than all of this is the fact that Oliver tends to win with raw athleticism and can be taken advantage of in the trenches because he doesn't use his hands well and can struggle to maintain his balance if his man gains a leverage advantage on him. While some coaches will feel confident that he'll be really good if they can coach him up, the concern would be how long this might take and if he'll ever be good enough technically to be truly dominant in the pros.

From Draftnetwork: Has enough juice to move all around the defensive front in passing situations. That said, this is not a scheme diverse football player. Needs to be given every opportunity to press forward. Run defending would be optimal with a dominant nose tackle to command attention on the interior

He is not an NFL NT, those players need to be 305-325 (and 305 is light unless you are very strong).  So unless we put him in a role like Seattle used Michael Bennet, he will be a 3-4 DE whose traits won't be maximized.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BCJet said:

Im not a scout, I just enjoy reading about the draft so here is what is out there that refutes your opinion.

From Draftanalyst:  Lacks bulk and power and gets easily controlled by a single blocker. 

From TheJetsBlog: Perhaps more important than all of this is the fact that Oliver tends to win with raw athleticism and can be taken advantage of in the trenches because he doesn't use his hands well and can struggle to maintain his balance if his man gains a leverage advantage on him. While some coaches will feel confident that he'll be really good if they can coach him up, the concern would be how long this might take and if he'll ever be good enough technically to be truly dominant in the pros.

From Draftnetwork: Has enough juice to move all around the defensive front in passing situations. That said, this is not a scheme diverse football player. Needs to be given every opportunity to press forward. Run defending would be optimal with a dominant nose tackle to command attention on the interior

He is not an NFL NT, those players need to be 305-325 (and 305 is light unless you are very strong).  So unless we put him in a role like Seattle used Michael Bennet, he will be a 3-4 DE whose traits won't be maximized.

his arms are too short to play 5T in a 3-4, he should be an OLB/DE where he can use his speed and quickness in space. even if he plays inside on a 4-3 the DC is going to have to move him around a little to give him space to play off favorable angles

8 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Instead of basing your opinion on someone elses opinion just pop in the tape. There is plenty of it out there and the conclusions those writers came to couldn't be further from the truth.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m going to be honest.. Oliver could be a future pro bowler and I still wouldn’t regret not selecting him. I don’t want anything to do with DL in regards to the #3 pick.

What if he was a future DPOY? Would that change your mind because he has that ability.

Ed Oliver is one of the hottest names out there right now.  His stock has skyrocketed the last week or so.  The best way to trade down is threaten to take the guy that half the teams want between picks 5 to 15.  I really think that’s what’s going on here.

You guys probably know better than me but for me if we go defense it has got to be about finding that elite pass rusher.  If that is the criteria, I am going with Josh Allen.   In addition, he is someone who can play all 3 downs and is pretty good in coverage.   Unless Ed Oliver is projected to be head and shoulders better than Allen, Allen should be the pick.  

The way I see it, if each players ceiling is A. Donald for Oliver and K. Mack for Allen, I think I prefer Allen as he is more versatile.   Of course if we take Oliver I will root like crazy for him.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Um quick question for your circle jerk, how many sacks did he have in his last college season? 

More TFL than any other three-year player in NCAA history as far as I know so even the STATS THO knock is bullsh*t. If the hot take brigade were serious about finding flaws here they should have started looking a whole lot sooner.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Persiussa said:

Ed Oliver is one of the hottest names out there right now.  His stock has skyrocketed the last week or so.

I honestly don't believe this one bit. For people that follow college and prospects he's been up there for three years now. It's just that the hacks out there are finally realizing it now.....I'm sure he's been on every NFL teams radar for years now. It's not like he's some one year wonder that is jumping because of a good combine.

My problem with drafting Oliver at 3 isn't whether Oliver is a great prospect, or not, because he is. It's that there are guys like Quinnen Williams/Jeffrey Simmons/Jerry Tillery who could all be just as good, if not better than Oliver. So why take him at 3 when you can trade down and take one of them (and maybe even Oliver) in the 6-15 range. 

PFF, which I know some of you hate, has a pretty good pulse of what the analytics community thinks, has Oliver behind all 3 of those guys so there is a good chance there are NFL teams who have similar rankings. 

Again, I am not bashing Oliver. I really like him and would be very very happy to take him if we  trade back. But at 3, I am not sure it's the smart move. He was underwhelming his final year. Part of that can be attributed to scheme, but it still raises enough red flags for me to go in another direction. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, RobR said:

I honestly don't believe this one bit. For people that follow college and prospects he's been up there for three years now. It's just that the hacks out there are finally realizing it now.....I'm sure he's been on every NFL teams radar for years now. It's not like he's some one year wonder that is jumping because of a good combine.

I give you credit- you were the first person on here talking oliver at 3 back way before the combine 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, MDL_JET said:

Wasn’t Oliver considered a top 3 pick this time last year? I remember ppl saying he was even saying he should go 1. What happened since then?

he had a couple injuries so he had a quieter season than expected. and quinnen williams stole his thunder 

29 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Bench Press= a portion of what measures strength for NFL prospects.

Any scouting report that claims Ed Oliver, is “easily controlled by a single blocker” isn’t worth listening to. Occasionally, 1 guy can handle Oliver, do it more than a little and you’re gonna get beat. Ed Oliver and QW would fit on this team because we’re gonna play nickel a lot and we’re gonna play 3-3-5 nickel a lot. 

Anderson——Leo—— Oliver 

Lee—— Mosley——— Williamson

Oliver struggled in space sometimes and never had to round the corners in college, asking him to do it as a pro would neutralize him.

7 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I guess you missed where the jets blog said he doesn't use his hands well. LOL

Or maybe it was the draft analyst that said he easily gets blocked one on one. Can't make this stuff up.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Wasn’t Oliver considered a top 3 pick this time last year? I remember ppl saying he was even saying he should go 1. What happened since then?

He would have been a top 5 pick after his freshman season as an 18yo if he was allowed to enter the draft. This year he missed some games with a bruised knee.

41 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Thanks—I missed this somehow. We’ve been way behind the league on analytics for a while, so this is encouraging. 

I only remember because of the fact that they are amazing schools. 

Heimerdinger is on path to getting interviews for a gm job 

interesting sub plot for the draft and season is this is Maccagnans make or break year. 

Does he take Maccagnans job here or get poached?

• Upvote 1