Greg Gabriel: The hot name to the Jets at #3 - Ed Oliver

BCJet

Oliver dominated against college players, hes alittle under sized for Nfl, QW better prospect and J Allen will be a beast in NFL for years.  I would be ok if we trade back and get Oliver not at #3 . No way.   I do think Giants will draft him if hes there at 6.  I think Jets should swap picks with Raiders they want J Allen for sure. . My dream is for Bosa to fall . If not take J Allen. 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

15th percentile of height

12th percentile of weight

26th percentile in arm length 

30th percentile in 3 cone

42nd in bench press 

except for a decent 40 yard dash (5.12, 77th percentile), Jonah Williams is below average by every measurement

If the jets drafted this player I honestly don't think he'd play year 1. Unless he knows how to snap. 

And the guy you're talking about is an undersized DT. Isn't there a good chance he'll get steamrolled in the NFL on rushing downs? You want to take a part time DT at #3 overall because he has great workout metrics?

sounds scary

fwiw, I prefer other LT's over Jonah, I just think focusing so much on workout metrics is a mistake.

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Ed Oliver has no ceiling. It would be a little bit of a surprise of a pick because of the 3 guys we've heard about all draft season (QW, Bosa, and Allen), but Oliver is a great prospect and could easily be the best of the bunch.

I don’t disagree.  I think Oliver can be a tremendous 4-3 DE or DT but that’s the role he needs to play in

Oliver has no place in a 3-4

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'm so tired of our GMs playing smartest guy in the room.

Kyle Brady 

Ken OBrien

Jalen Saunders 

Dexter Mcdougall 

I'm missing a few, I'm sure

How about the time the jets traded down to get a kicker instead of staying put to draft Heath Miller?

• Upvote 1

If this is true then Greg Williams has same input that Rex did, when he took Calvin Pryor.  I only want EO if we trade back if not stick to top 3 studs . Bosa , QW and Josh Allen. If we pass on Qw and Giants end up taking him,  makes it worse. 

19 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Ed Oliver has no ceiling. It would be a little bit of a surprise of a pick because of the 3 guys we've heard about all draft season (QW, Bosa, and Allen), but Oliver is a great prospect and could easily be the best of the bunch.

No ceiling? Wow. This guy is like a super hero or something. Interesting reading about him as a DE or OLB prospect - I like that idea better than him as an NFL DT. As a DT in the NFL I think you run the risk of him getting mauled on running downs. At DE or OLB I can see him beasting.

On 4/19/2019 at 5:41 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Um quick question for your circle jerk, how many sacks did he have in his last college season? 

He was playing Nose Tackle on over 64 % of snaps. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/dont-overthink-this-nfl-ed-oliver-should-be-a-top-5-pick-in-the-2019-draft

Per SIS, Oliver lined up at nose tackle 64.2% of the time. Compare that to 44% for Christian Wilkins, 29.2% for Quinnen Williams, 0.3% for L.J. Collier and 0% for Zach Allen and you’ll understand why Oliver didn’t produce more pressure.

• Upvote 1

On 4/19/2019 at 7:00 PM, SR24 said:

I love Ed Oliver and would be hyped if we drafted him but I’m a little hesitant to take him from a DT and move him to a 3-4 OLB. Guy got to where he is playing his normal position just seems like a risk at #3. All aboard taking him and leaving him at DT though

Wouldn't he be a 3-4 DE here?

I think Oliver is an intriguing talent. But I do wonder about fit.

I have read the stuff about him moving to the edge in the NFL - so that would mean playing as a stand-up OLB in the 3-4 for us.

He might be able to do it, although it will all be completely new to him. As a DT he is one of the more explosive players at his position. Would he still be one of the most explosive players at his new position, lined up much further away from the ball?

I know some guys have shifted from interior DL to edge in the pros - though not many. And did any of them become great OLBs? 

3rd overall is awfully high for a potential position switch. Previous guys who made similar moves (e.g. Tedy Bruschi, Hercules Mata'afa) were later round picks or UDFAs. I can't remember anyone ever picking a DT so high with the idea of moving him to OLB.

If the Jets do pick Oliver, hopefully it's because Gregg Williams loves him and has a clear plan in place for him. It would be fascinating to watch.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:44 PM, playtowinthegame said:

Nope. If the Jets draft Ed Oliver at #3 I'll be shocked. Best case s scenario he is another Sheldon Richardson, and that's not worth the 3rd overall pick. I wouldn't draft him any higher than around the middle of the 1st round. 

Based on what?  Your feelings?

His legit ceiling is the next Aaron Donald based on both his stature as an undersized DT, college production and any/all available metrics regarding his athleticism.  Whether he achieves that ceiling is up for debate, but you really have no basis to be able to say his ceiling is any lower than that. 

• Thumb Down 1

On 4/20/2019 at 3:18 PM, maury77 said:

I hate this draft. I haven't felt this bad going into a draft since 2008 (the Gholston draft). 

Selecting Quinnen Williams or Ed Oliver at 3 is just a really poor example of roster building by Maccagnan. The Jets are paying Leo & Henry Anderson a sizeable amount of money. They spent a 3rd rounder last year on Nathan Sheppard (even if you think he sucks, he is a 3rd rounder going into his second season). The Jets are going to be playing primarily a 3-4 this season (yes, I know they will still play multiple fronts). Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver are both best off playing a 3 technique in a 4-3. 

It's just a sh*t allocation of resources if they pick Williams or Oliver at 3.

Macc's past draft failures does not automatically make Oliver a bad pick at 3. 

In fact, in bizarro world fashion, it would show he's actually getting smarter as a GM, because it would mean he's actually paying attention to analytics that matter.

If we stick and pick at 3, we need an elite player at a premium position, period.  Oliver has about the best chance of becoming an elite player at a premium position as anyone who will be available to us at that spot. 

17 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

And the guy you're talking about is an undersized DT. Isn't there a good chance he'll get steamrolled in the NFL on rushing downs? You want to take a part time DT at #3 overall because he has great workout metrics? 

He had 53 Tackles for a Loss in his 3-year career.  I think he'll be just fine against the run, if not straight up dominant.

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Against weak competition. Let's not act like he played in the SEC

Let's also not act like 53 TFLs in 3 years is f***ing amazing no matter what FBS team you're playing for.  Especially when you're playing NT on 64 % of your snaps as a Junior and getting triple-teamed because there's no one else on the defense an opponent fears.

Dude clearly checks every box but people are searching for reasons to nitpick.  I get it:  People don't want another DT.  But the type of DT we'd be getting in Oliver is nothing close to the kind of DT's we've taken in the past. 

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Based on what?  Your feelings?

His legit ceiling is the next Aaron Donald based on both his stature as an undersized DT, college production and any/all available metrics regarding his athleticism.  Whether he achieves that ceiling is up for debate, but you really have no basis to be able to say his ceiling is any lower than that. 

He's compared with Donald because of size and measurables.  But his college production hasn't really matched up to Donald, has it?  I get it, he has my interest but can we really draft a guy at 3 who has put up 5, 5.5 and 3 sack seasons?  13.5 total in 3 seasons. While a kid with 17.5 last season alone sits there for the taking?  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

He's compared with Donald because of size and measurables.  But his college production hasn't really matched up to Donald, has it?  I get it, he has my interest but can we really draft a guy at 3 who has put up 5, 5.5 and 3 sack seasons?  13.5 total in 3 seasons. While a kid with 17.5 last season alone sits there for the taking?  

Yes, it has.  Note my previous post about the 53 TFLs.

Dude was playing out of position and was still a complete wrecking ball.

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, it has.  Note my previous post about the 53 TFLs.

Dude was playing out of position and was still a complete wrecking ball.

And Allen out at LB had 43.  21.5 last season.   To Olivers 14.5 last season.

You may be right, he may produce more at a different position but that's a lot of projecting for the 3rd overall pick.  Donald's the comparison we hear but he's a DT who gets 20 sacks, not complaints that he's a DT and could do more somewhere else.  I'm torn, love the idea of AD but I remember a DT who was a wrecking ball with knives..

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Let's also not act like 53 TFLs in 3 years is f***ing amazing no matter what FBS team you're playing for.  Especially when you're playing NT on 64 % of your snaps as a Junior and getting triple-teamed because there's no one else on the defense an opponent fears.

Dude clearly checks every box but people are searching for reasons to nitpick.  I get it:  People don't want another DT.  But the type of DT we'd be getting in Oliver is nothing close to the kind of DT's we've taken in the past. 

Or is it that Oliver people are avoiding any negative about him that goes against their agenda? That's the more likely scenario.

You can't scream at a Head Coach on the sideline and check every box. 

Your HC can't accuse you of being healthy but milking an injury and check every box.

Your best season can't be your freshman year.

You can't dominate in a weak conference and then not show up against the 2 teams you play from major conferences.

11 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Or is it that Oliver people are avoiding any negative about him that goes against their agenda? That's the more likely scenario.

You can't scream at a Head Coach on the sideline and check every box. 

Your HC can't accuse you of being healthy but milking an injury and check every box.

Your best season can't be your freshman year.

You can't dominate in a weak conference and then not show up against the 2 teams you play from major conferences.

More like, for the things that matter, Oliver checks every box.  For the things that don't, people will always find reasons NOT to draft a guy. 

Oliver only recently has become a hot name around here, so I fail to see how people are simply ignoring the negatives.  You can acknowledge the negatives while simultaneously pointing out why they probably aren't a big deal. 

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And why exactly did he have to do all of those things again?

B/C the Jets finally got a legitimate blue chip QB prospect and he wants to make sure to surround him with weapons and protect him with veteran players that can step in and start immediately. 

3 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Anyone hear the bouncer who called WFAN a few days ago with an Ed Oliver story? 

Apparantly he was wasted out in manhattan and tried to take on entire security team. Said, “you guys are gonna need guns to take me down

Don't shoot Ed Oliver.  It'll only make him mad.

4 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Anyone hear the bouncer who called WFAN a few days ago with an Ed Oliver story? 

Apparantly he was wasted out in manhattan and tried to take on entire security team. Said, “you guys are gonna need guns to take me down”

pass

As a defensive lineman this actually isn’t bad

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The people complaining about the level of talent Oliver faced would’ve probably passed on Khalil Mack.

Khalil Mack got better every single year in Buffalo and had 3 seasons better than Oliver's best season. Major major difference between the two players.

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The people complaining about the level of talent Oliver faced would’ve probably passed on Khalil Mack.

Agreed...and then people want to look at production which is understandable but then quickly forget his stats are very similar to JJ Watt in college.  Watt had whopping 1.5 more sacks than Oliver at his peak in college.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Khalil Mack got better every single year in Buffalo and had 3 seasons better than Oliver's best season. Major major difference between the two players.

Lol..you’re really lost on this one aren’t you?  There’s also a major difference between the positions they played.  This is getting comical reading some of your stuff. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What boggles my mind is the guys who want Williams but are aghast at the idea of Oliver

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I am specifically concerned with his position and size, and how that relates to the NFL. He will be facing much bigger and stronger interior offensive linemen in the NFL if he is going to stick to DT.

As a DE or OLB - that's another story.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I am specifically concerned with his position and size, and how that relates to the NFL. He will be facing much bigger and stronger interior offensive linemen in the NFL if he is going to stick to DT.

I get that it may be a slight concern, but if anyone would know how to properly utilize him, it would be the same guy who oversaw Aaron Donald’s development for the first 3 years of his career.

Gregg Williams 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So the fact that he kills all the athletic bench marks which strongly suggest he'll be able to handle the stronger players in the NFL doesn't matter to you?