Greg Gabriel: The hot name to the Jets at #3 - Ed Oliver

BCJet

So I don't get into the draft nearly as much as I used to because I simply don't have the time.

I have seen Oliver play bunches and he dominated a lot. I see his "burst" numbers are off the charts.  I know he hasn't played on the Edge, but for those in the know, why couldn't he?  Seems like his size and burst could allow you to use him anywhere, no?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Wasn’t Oliver considered a top 3 pick this time last year? I remember ppl saying he was even saying he should go 1. What happened since then?

Underwhelming season. I remember Quinton Coples was projected to be a top 5 pick the year before his final season. He laid an egg and dropped in most rankings. 

23 minutes ago, RobR said:

What if he was a future DPOY? Would that change your mind because he has that ability.

I know this is your guy but I just don’t think I could stomach DL. I’m a fan of trying to get draft from a OL first perspective. Trade down take Jawaan Taylor , use 2nd round pick on Elgton Jenkins/McCoy, use both 3rd rounders on  weapons like Jace Steinberger and Riley Ridley. Offense should be the focal point of this draft. 

• Upvote 1

So the other day Francessa was saying there’s some controversy around Oliver, and he could go anywhere from 2 to 15, but I didn’t catch the controversy, I know he’s a blowhard, but anyone hear what the controversy is around Oliver? I haven’t seen any

I know this is your guy but I just don’t think I could stomach DL. I’m a fan of trying to get draft from a OL first perspective. Trade down take Jawaan Taylor , use 2nd round pick on Elgton Jenkins/McCoy, use both 3rd rounders on  weapons like Jace Steinberger and Riley Ridley. Offense should be the focal point of this draft. 

A lot of what makes OL play good is coaching. They actually hired a good OL coach for the first time in a long time. There are no blue chip OL in this years draft. What team are you trying to model after by forcing a trade down or over drafting an OL?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Underwhelming season. I remember Quinton Coples was projected to be a top 5 pick the year before his final season. He laid an egg and dropped in most rankings. 

His underwhelming season consisted of him missing a few games and still being a first team All American.

I love Ed Oliver and would be hyped if we drafted him but I’m a little hesitant to take him from a DT and move him to a 3-4 OLB. Guy got to where he is playing his normal position just seems like a risk at #3. All aboard taking him and leaving him at DT though

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

A lot of what makes OL play good is coaching. They actually hired a good OL coach for the first time in a long time. There are no blue chip OL in this years draft. What team are you trying to model after by forcing a trade down or over drafting an OL?

Rick Dennison last year was really good for us. We upgraded him with one of the few guys better than him.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Gabriel's tweet goes on to say that hes been told Greg Williams loves Oliver and is the influence behind the pick.  For what its worth Brian Costello mentioned that this is the 2nd time this week someone has linked Oliver to us, the first was in Daniel Jermiah's mock draft.

I have not idea the credibility of Gabriel or Jeremiah as far as knowing what the Jets want to do but I cannot think of a worse scenario.  Oliver is a lot riskier of a pick then either Allen or Williams and after watching the film review of him on turnonthejets.com he seems like more of a DE to me then a DT, but not a speed rusher so we would essentially be going back to the 3-4 DE route with a first round pick yet again, which is absurd.  

We should all pray that we can move down, because this story really makes me question what will happen if no one clear cut falls to Mac and he has to make an actual decision.

I heard Greg was hot for Williams

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Since you know Oliver is my guy you must also remember that I always pound the table for Offensive players. Oliver is just too good to pass up if he's there. Taylor is a hyped up RT and as much as I like Jenkins I'd rather have Oliver over both of them combined. Even if Jenkins and McCoy aren't there when we pick in the third just grab a guy like McGovern.

• Upvote 1

I love Ed Oliver and would be hyped if we drafted him but I’m a little hesitant to take him from a DT and move him to a 3-4 OLB. Guy got to where he is playing his normal position just seems like a risk at #3. All aboard taking him and leaving him at DT though

I think this draft would be a great one to start transitioning to a 4-3. Lot of good NT will be available, even in round 3. Draft Oliver to play 3 technique and a NT in the 3rd. Only thing left to need would be a speed rushing DE. You could make the full transition next season with one or two moves.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So I don't get into the draft nearly as much as I used to because I simply don't have the time.

I have seen Oliver play bunches and he dominated a lot. I see his "burst" numbers are off the charts.  I know he hasn't played on the Edge, but for those in the know, why couldn't he?  Seems like his size and burst could allow you to use him anywhere, no?

I think he can play anywhere except NT, which is ironically where he played in college or as a true 5 tech. Putting him in those positions would be wasting his god given abilities. 

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

His underwhelming season consisted of him missing a few games and still being a first team All American.

For the third straight year. It's been done before, of course, but most of those instances are from when linemen were 190 pounds, there were no forward passes or black people, and the game consisted entirely of a couple dozen guys interlocking shoulders and kicking each other in the shins.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I think this draft would be a great one to start transitioning to a 4-3. Lot of good NT will be available, even in round 3. Draft Oliver to play 3 technique and a NT in the 3rd. Only thing left to need would be a speed rushing DE. You could make the full transition next season with one or two moves.

Oliver in the first, Daylon Mack in the fourth and every other pick goes towards the offense. Trade Leo and Lee for extra draft capital.  

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

I guess you missed where the jets blog said he doesn't use his hands well. LOL

Or maybe it was the draft analyst that said he easily gets blocked one on one. Can't make this stuff up.

yeah I don’t know what they are looking at. I think maybe people take a look at him and expect to see aaron donald but he’s not the same build of player IMO. shorter wingspan but more explosion from lower half. that’s why I think he’d be good rushing from out wide where he can convert speed to power and use his weight to pinball off blockers

Oliver in the first, Daylon Mack in the fourth and every other pick goes towards the offense. Trade Leo and Lee for extra draft capital.  

I like it - but I wouldnt trade Leo. I think he would be a good DE in a 4-3. Lee athletically would be good - but just seems so soft and not mentally in the game either.

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

For the third straight year. It's been done before, of course, but most of those instances are from when linemen were 190 pounds, there were no forward passes or black people, and the game consisted entirely of a couple dozen guys interlocking shoulders and kicking each other in the shins.

You're preaching to the choir....I've been touting him since his freshman season. I also said he would test off of the charts before he even tested and now boom....he's being considered as a high pick. Most draft analysts and the hacks at NFL Network are worthless. 

• Upvote 1

Rob Rang also has the Jets taking Oliver in his latest mock draft. There’s either a blabber mouth in the Jets front office or the Jets are intentionally  spreading this rumor. 

This is a franchise that leaked their uniforms 24 hours before their inveigling. Its pretty safe to say people within the Jets like to talk.

14 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

So the other day Francessa was saying there’s some controversy around Oliver, and he could go anywhere from 2 to 15, but I didn’t catch the controversy, I know he’s a blowhard, but anyone hear what the controversy is around Oliver? I haven’t seen any

IIRC, Oliver was sitting out a few games and his coaches thought he was protecting his draft stock so when one of them saw Oliver wearing a Houston jacket on the sideline, the told him to take it off because those are only for players on the team or some sh*t 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RobR said:

You're preaching to the choir....I've been touting him since his freshman season. I also said he would test off of the charts before he even tested and now boom....he's being considered as a high pick. Most draft analysts and the hacks at NFL Network are worthless. 

Sick brag, nostradamus. Next you're gonna tell me you knew Adrian Peterson was gonna be good.

IIRC, Oliver was sitting out a few games and his coaches thought he was protecting his draft stock so when one of them saw Oliver wearing a Houston jacket on the sideline, the told him to take it off because those are only for players on the team or some sh*t 

Yeah I think he was wearing a warm up jacket and the coach went up and started taking it off of him. lol

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Thanks