Greg Gabriel: The hot name to the Jets at #3 - Ed Oliver

BCJet

12 hours ago, nico002 said:

Please look at this video from his pro day. His bend and quickness around the edge might be the best I’ve ever seen. Guy is a freak.

He was double teamed on every down playing at houston. This dude is the most explosive player in the draft.

While the double-team argument is fair, it also can't be discounted how poor the Oline talent he played against was.  I watched some more of him last night as this thread progressed and a bunch of the things I watched were agains Rice.  I dont care if he got doubled by the center and guard in that game, neither of those players will be in the XFL, let alone the NFL.

His best game over the past 2 seasons was a 9 tackle, 2 sack performance in 2017 vs Navy (not exactly LSU).  He did have 8 tackles in 2017 vs Arizona but this past season the only games where he had more than 4 tackles were the Rice game and vs ECU.  

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oliver going top 2 is probably the best thing that could happen IMO. That way I can complain in peace about the Williams pick without having to listen to the incessant rimjobbing over Oliver’s fast twitch muscles. 

Oh so I guess you would like to continue to read about “Darnolds nastiness outside the pocket”?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

While the double-team argument is fair, it also can't be discounted how poor the Oline talent he played against was.  I watched some more of him last night as this thread progressed and a bunch of the things I watched were agains Rice.  I dont care if he got doubled by the center and guard in that game, neither of those players will be in the XFL, let alone the NFL.
His best game over the past 2 seasons was a 9 tackle, 2 sack performance in 2017 vs Navy (not exactly LSU).  He did have 8 tackles in 2017 vs Arizona but this past season the only games where he had more than 4 tackles were the Rice game and vs ECU.  

In fairness you can only beat who you play.

23 minutes ago, BCJet said:

What you're missing on is that he did this while playing Nose Tackle, a position he is not going to be playing in the NFL. 

I hate this draft. I haven't felt this bad going into a draft since 2008 (the Gholston draft). 

Selecting Quinnen Williams or Ed Oliver at 3 is just a really poor example of roster building by Maccagnan. The Jets are paying Leo & Henry Anderson a sizeable amount of money. They spent a 3rd rounder last year on Nathan Sheppard (even if you think he sucks, he is a 3rd rounder going into his second season). The Jets are going to be playing primarily a 3-4 this season (yes, I know they will still play multiple fronts). Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver are both best off playing a 3 technique in a 4-3. 

It's just a sh*t allocation of resources if they pick Williams or Oliver at 3.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is the incisive commentary that’s crucial to becoming a draft expert professional journalist 

lol...you don't like...most just provide the reach around...he's better than the excessive comp to some multi-year all-pro...like John Randle...this guy may have issues...time will tell if he's worth the #3.

55 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

They’re not trading up to 3 for a dt. If he falls to the 8-12 range i expect them to move up

I agree with you, but it has been done.   Our own Jets in 2003 traded 13 and 22 to the Bears for the 4th pick to take Dwayne Robertson (sorry for the memories).

I really don’t care who’s there at 3. Trade back, get extra picks and stop dicking around. This team lacks talent and needs prospects. Trade back, get 2-3 extra picks and take the BPA which unequivocally fills a desperate need at edge, cb, or OL. With a 1, a 2 and 2 3’s, that’s 5 positions to jumpstart the roster. It’s a deep draft so there’s no reason Macc should whiff on these picks. I’d go edge with the 1st, Center with the 2nd, CB and TE with the 3’s. 

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'm an Oliver fan, but the timing and nature of this late rumor feels an awful lot like a ploy to drive any Oliver lovers into trading up. 

I’m smelling a conspiracy theory on this... I’m guessing the jets found out the raiders were targeting oliver at 4 hence the leak to the media to pressure them into a trade. it would make sense given the strange dismissal of their entire scouting team. the timing of the two reports matches up too

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

I’m smelling a conspiracy theory on this... I’m guessing the jets found out the raiders were targeting oliver at 4 hence the leak to the media to pressure them into a trade. it would make sense given the strange dismissal of their entire scouting team. the timing of the two reports matches up too

God, it's hard to poke holes in that theory. Yes, it's a reach to speculate this time of year - but nonetheless, it makes sense. Are these musings of your own, or chatter on the wire

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

God, it's hard to poke holes in that theory. Yes, it's a reach to speculate this time of year - but nonetheless, it makes sense. Are these musings of your own, or chatter on the wire

LOL I did a lot of driving this weekend so I had time for musings. haven’t heard it repeated anywhere else but I certainly would love to believe it

12 minutes ago, cant wait said:

LOL I did a lot of driving this weekend so I had time for musings. haven’t heard it repeated anywhere else but I certainly would love to believe it

I'm gonna float it around on twitter for the lulz - maybe stress test your second spitter theory. 

1XjZb5.gif

I think it’s telling that Ed Oliver was coached this year by probably one of the worst Defensive Coordinators out there. The guy has been dominant since he started as a true freshman. Donofrio comes in and instantly drops his value. Donofrio makes Schotty look like Bill Walsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/19/2019 at 4:04 PM, RSJ said:

I think this draft would be a great one to start transitioning to a 4-3. Lot of good NT will be available, even in round 3. Draft Oliver to play 3 technique and a NT in the 3rd. Only thing left to need would be a speed rushing DE. You could make the full transition next season with one or two moves.

I’ve said this for a while but with a different approach. Move to a 4-3 this year by getting the down pass rushing DE (Bosa, Gary, Ferrell, etc.), and move Lee to weakside LB. Leo at 3 technique next to a space-eating run clogger. Two guys miscast might be Williamson and Henry Anderson but I’d still rotate Anderson at both DE and DT.

As for Oliver I’d like him at 6 or 7, not 3.

7 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

I really don’t care who’s there at 3. Trade back, get extra picks and stop dicking around. This team lacks talent and needs prospects. Trade back, get 2-3 extra picks and take the BPA which unequivocally fills a desperate need at edge, cb, or OL. With a 1, a 2 and 2 3’s, that’s 5 positions to jumpstart the roster. It’s a deep draft so there’s no reason Macc should whiff on these picks. I’d go edge with the 1st, Center with the 2nd, CB and TE with the 3’s. 

But nobody wants to trade up. 

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'm an Oliver fan, but the timing and nature of this late rumor feels an awful lot like a ploy to drive any Oliver lovers into trading up. 

I don’t think they actually pick him either, though he’s the main guy i want out of #3. Last year they leaked fake interest in just about every qb days leading up to draft. 

On 4/20/2019 at 3:18 PM, maury77 said:

I hate this draft. I haven't felt this bad going into a draft since 2008 (the Gholston draft). 

Selecting Quinnen Williams or Ed Oliver at 3 is just a really poor example of roster building by Maccagnan. The Jets are paying Leo & Henry Anderson a sizeable amount of money. They spent a 3rd rounder last year on Nathan Sheppard (even if you think he sucks, he is a 3rd rounder going into his second season). The Jets are going to be playing primarily a 3-4 this season (yes, I know they will still play multiple fronts). Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver are both best off playing a 3 technique in a 4-3. 

It's just a sh*t allocation of resources if they pick Williams or Oliver at 3.

I think this is exactly why rumors are they really want to trade down.  They know if they stay their BPA is interior DL.  That is a huge problem for the fan base and for roster building. 

Take the best offer and move down.  I think that's what you're going to see the Jets do.

Peter king just mocked him to Yets too

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/22/nfl-mock-draft-fmia-peter-king/

3. New York Jets: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

Imagine Josh McDaniels, Chad O’Shea and Brian Daboll—the offensive brains of the AFC East—designing protections to keep Leonard Williamsand Oliver from wrecking games over the next three or four years. I realize that with new coordinator Gregg Williams staying with a 3-4 defense that this isn’t the perfect fit for Oliver, but Williams once bragged about being able to play 42 different defenses with his scheme, and he’d figure out how to make Oliver work. For a long time, I’d penciled in Josh Allen here because of the Jets’ edge-rusher need, but when you do a mock, you go by your gut. And someone I trust told me the Jets don’t love Allen. So those are the kinds of scale-tippers that change the board—and, most often, make me look like a dope Thursday night about 8:45 ET. We shall see. Oh, and the Jets would like to trade down too, if they can get a ransom. I don’t see it.

17 minutes ago, CTM said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/22/nfl-mock-draft-fmia-peter-king/

Imagine Josh McDaniels, Chad O’Shea and Brian Daboll—the offensive brains of the AFC East—designing protections to keep Leonard Williamsand Oliver from wrecking games over the next three or four years. I realize that with new coordinator Gregg Williams staying with a 3-4 defense that this isn’t the perfect fit for Oliver, but Williams once bragged about being able to play 42 different defenses with his scheme, and he’d figure out how to make Oliver work. For a long time, I’d penciled in Josh Allen here because of the Jets’ edge-rusher need, but when you do a mock, you go by your gut. And someone I trust told me the Jets don’t love Allen. So those are the kinds of scale-tippers that change the board—and, most often, make me look like a dope Thursday night about 8:45 ET. We shall see. Oh, and the Jets would like to trade down too, if they can get a ransom. I don’t see it.

Points of interest from that: King doesn’t see a trade-down as happening, and the Jets aren’t big on Josh Allen. What a bummer this draft class is up top

27 minutes ago, CTM said:

Anybody think if we can't get out of 3 that Sweat is the guy?

On 4/19/2019 at 4:55 PM, BCJet said:

so we would essentially be going back to the 3-4 DE route with a first round pick yet again, which is absurd.  

Because we're running the 3-4 or because we're set at the position? 

Archived