Greg Gabriel: The hot name to the Jets at #3 - Ed Oliver

BCJet

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You get the content you deserve, pal

No i dont think you get it see oliver twist is a famous literature book and ed oliver is the football player that is getting more attention so its a twist hence the oliver twist its a double entendre see

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

No i dont think you get it see oliver twist is a famous literature book and ed oliver is the football player that is getting more attention so its a twist hence the oliver twist its a double entendre see

Oh. Oh. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ohhhhh. I’ll change my emoji forthwith 

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Unless you have pictures of him dressing as a dolphin or something it's more of a single entandre. 

Draft talk 4 spots earlier than expected is not very twisted. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

if after all of this the jets take an undersized DT at #3 this will be a VERY underwhelming draft, considering there is no 2nd round pick.

It’s either the undersized DT who can jump or the regular sized DT. Make your pick

• Haha 1

albert breer's column today in mmqb is interesting.  he writes that many believe there are only 16-18 players with 1st round grades, and only a few elite players within this group.  after this, you can get starters on day 2 and 3.  also there's an interesting take on offensive lineman, that next year's crop is bad and that some teams prefer to 'hit doubles off the wall' with interior lineman in late round 1 rather than miss entirely.  

i hope the jets don't blow the 3rd pick on defense, then miss out on the chance to really help darnold.  if darnold is not protected this year i think it's the end of mccagnan and i hope he realizes this.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this is even worse, that the entire drafting community thinks it's suicide to NOT take Q, allen or oliver at 3.  

If you're new to the Jets, we're just going by what Maccagnan  has done historically, which is make the chalk pick even if  it doesn't help the team all that much. It's worked exactly one time, with Darnold, and even then he got a huge assist from Heimerdinger (his assistant GM) was was able to finagle a trade with the Colts. It's just completely outside of Maccagnan's character to not go BPA, even when that player is trash or a safety. Or a trash safety.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

The Oliver twist...

36 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Don’t listen to @T0mShane... I’ll allow it.

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You get the content you deserve, pal

26 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Oh. Oh. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ohhhhh. I’ll change my emoji forthwith 

20 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I never listen to joeywilly's BFF.

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I dodge all of his posts, artfully.

Nevermind, I take it back.  Shane was right.  You suck, @BROOKLYN JET

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you're new to the Jets, we're just going by what Maccagnan  has done historically, which is make the chalk pick even if  it doesn't help the team all that much.

all true.  but to me, this means it will not be oliver.  i think this is misinformation being spread by the jets.  one thing we have seen about mccagnan and his team is that there are no leaks.  

i am going on the record saying oliver is a red herring here.  but the question is, why would the jets feel the need to throw one out there anyway, if they're staying at 3?  assuming bosa is going 1 or 2 that means there's only 1 other guy before the jets pick.  if bosa is gone one way or another, and oliver is the fake leak, then, who would they actually be targeting who they don't want other teams to know?  i doubt it's allen.  and yeah, unfortunately, i would think it's quinnen.  b/c that's who teams - namely, the raiders and perhaps the bucs - would be more likely to trade up to get.  but hey - don't worry - the jets are taking oliver, so there's no need to trade up....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

all true.  but to me, this means it will not be oliver.  i think this is misinformation being spread by the jets.  one thing we have seen about mccagnan and his team is that there are no leaks.  

i am going on the record saying oliver is a red herring here.  but the question is, why would the jets feel the need to throw one out there anyway, if they're staying at 3?  assuming bosa is going 1 or 2 that means there's only 1 other guy before the jets pick.  if bosa is gone one way or another, and oliver is the fake leak, then, who would they actually be targeting who they don't want other teams to know?  i doubt it's allen.  and yeah, unfortunately, i would think it's quinnen.  b/c that's who teams - namely, the raiders and perhaps the bucs - would be more likely to trade up to get.  but hey - don't worry - the jets are taking oliver, so there's no need to trade up....

I think it's a little Occam's Razor stuff here in that the Jets know they're stuck at 3 unless some wild sh*t happens and they like Quinnen and Oliver about the same and the draft media needs to pretend that Oliver is a late riser because they've all had him projected in the 10-15 range for five months. I don't think there's any twelve-dimensional chess going on here because the draft just isn't that good up top.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it's a little Occam's Razor stuff here in that the Jets know they're stuck at 3 unless some wild sh*t happens and they like Quinnen and Oliver about the same and the draft media needs to pretend that Oliver is a late riser because they've all had him projected in the 10-15 range for five months. I don't think there's any twelve-dimensional chess going on here because the draft just isn't that good up top.

but with the jets there is always the media spin and overall public perception.  

Just now, SR24 said:

My guess is Mac knows a team in he 7-15 range lives Oliver and is putting this smoke out to try and create more of a buzz for #3. Jets are leaving the draft with Quinnen or Bosa at 3 

i am resigning myself to this reality.  at this point my realistic best case is swapping with the raiders and picking up an extra 3rd rounder.

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

Haven't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure what the consensus is about Oliver, but I for one would be extremely unhappy with him at #3. If Allen is on the board at #3 and Mac picks Oliver, it will be the death knell for his career as a GM.  

If it’s true that Gregg Williams likes him then I think we have to get him. It seems that the Jets don’t really like Allen.

i think the Fans would be happier with Oliver than QW strictly because Oliver has a higher ceiling and he is more versatile. Which is what fans have implored Macc to do. No safe pick

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Haven't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure what the consensus is about Oliver, but I for one would be extremely unhappy with him at #3. If Allen is on the board at #3 and Mac picks Oliver, it will be the death knell for his career as a GM.  

Even if Oliver turns into a Hall of fame player? 

Personally, I am not  fan of taking an interior DL at 3, not because the options aren't great, but because you don't need to use a top 3 pick to significantly upgrade that position. Whether it's Quinnen/Oliver/Tillery/Simmons, you will be getting an elite level talent. So why not trade back and stock up on some picks and "settle" for whoever drops to 6-10-15?

Not to mention we could still have a guy like Allen/Sweat fall into our laps as well. 

The only justifications for sticking at 3 are that you have found an elite level edge rusher/Tackle or a generational talent at a random position (DT/Guard/WR). 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If it’s true that Gregg Williams likes him then I think we have to get him. It seems that the Jets don’t really like Allen.

i think the Fans would be happier with Oliver than QW strictly because Oliver has a higher ceiling and he is more versatile. Which is what fans have implored Macc to do. No safe pick

Quinnen's ceiling is just as high as Oliver. Quinnen destroyed the SEC. Let's not act as if he is a "safe" pick. He is much more than that. 

I see the arguments for Quinnen and Oliver. Personally, I prefer Quinnen, but as I've said before I don't love the idea of taking an interior DL at 3. Not in a draft where the best players are mostly on the DL so trading back can still net you an elite DL talent PLUS a bunch of picks. 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Even if Oliver turns into a Hall of fame player? 

Personally, I am not  fan of taking an interior DL at 3, not because the options aren't great, but because you don't need to use a top 3 pick to significantly upgrade that position. Whether it's Quinnen/Oliver/Tillery/Simmons, you will be getting an elite level talent. So why not trade back and stock up on some picks and "settle" for whoever drops to 6-10-15?

Not to mention we could still have a guy like Allen/Sweat fall into our laps as well. 

The only justifications for sticking at 3 are that you have found an elite level edge rusher/Tackle or a generational talent at a random position (DT/Guard/WR). 

My preference is definitely for the Jets to trade down and accumulate picks.  If they stand pat, I would be happy with ANY player other than an interior lineman.  

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Quinnen's ceiling is just as high as Oliver. Quinnen destroyed the SEC. Let's not act as if he is a "safe" pick. He is much more than that. 

I see the arguments for Quinnen and Oliver. Personally, I prefer Quinnen, but as I've said before I don't love the idea of taking an interior DL at 3. Not in a draft where the best players are mostly on the DL so trading back can still net you an elite DL talent PLUS a bunch of picks. 

Yes QW is more of an IDL. Oliver is more interesting because of his ceiling at another position. Again this could just Be total noise to try and make sure Allen is there but Oliver fits more the DL that I think Williams likes

35 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i am going on the record saying oliver is a red herring here.  but the question is, why would the jets feel the need to throw one out there anyway, 

i am going on record Ed Oliver is a top 5 pick whether the Jets take him or not 

Aaron Donald was the sack leader this season .

not Garrett or Clowney or some other edge guy. It was an undersized DT, and the league about copycat situations 

by the way that D with Donald and Suh held the Pats to a score of 3-3 and 13 points total in the most recent superbowl. If Goff shows up they win the damn thing. 

Oliver isn't a red herring neither are Williams, they are both better prospects than Allen and maybe even Bosa.  

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

i am going on record Ed Oliver is a top 5 pick whether the Jets take him or not 

Aaron Donald was the sack leader this season .

not Garrett or Clowney or some other edge guy. It was an undersized DT, and the league about copycat situations 

by the way that D with Donald and Suh held the Pats to a score of 3-3 and 13 points total in the most recent superbowl. If Goff shows up they win the damn thing. 

Oliver isn't a red herring neither are Williams, they are both better prospects than Allen and maybe even Bosa.  

not saying oliver isn't good.  i'm saying if it's leaking now that the jets want him, it's deliberate, and the jets are not after him.  there are typically no leaks from this mccagnan regime.

• Upvote 1

I guess Oliver isn’t going top 2 so there’s no real worry that a team is going to jump them to grab him. But it’s concerning if *everyone* knows they want Oliver. That’s what - Jeremiah, Gabriel, King, Breer, Cimini, probably more? Generally speaking that’s info you want to keep in house.

It’s also interesting that people mocking Oliver are not going into any level of detail about the Jets beyond they/Williams like Oliver. Is this the only piece of info that’s leaked out, or are they just that sure?

This is also misinformation season, so maybe it’s that. Maybe related to the desire to move down?

I definitely like Oliver. He’s an elite athlete and I thought it looked like he was going to be underdrafted. I think pass rush is key.

My main question regarding Oliver is - and this isn’t something I really know - how his sack production translates because it’s not terribly impressive. His TFL numbers are awesome, sacks less so. I know generally good sack production translates - how often do athletic interior DL with okay sack production end up taking that to the next level in the NFL? You want him pushing double digit sacks if you take him at 3. The other one, which lines up a little with the production question, is the competition he faced.

This would be a very anti-Mac pick, especially in Round 1. He has always gone the safe route. This complete boom or bust. He also doesn’t meet the typical old scout trait standards.

I love his motor. He’s an absolute animals wih a higher ceiling but lower floor than Q Williams. I’d be absolutely shocked and excited and worried all at once if this was the pick.