Namath

slats

20 minutes ago, slats said:

As I expressed in the OP, I didn't write the piece, I copied & pasted it from another site because I thought it was interesting. 

I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking the post.  I think people should get all sides to every story and make their judgments from there.  I hate to have to counter pro Joe pieces but I try to be as objective as possible.  I appreciate what Joe did but that doesn't make him perfect.

I also appreciate the views of those that disagree with me.  I think it helps all of us learn more.  Maybe I'm completely wrong? More likely I'm partially wrong but if people use attack me rather than my arguments we'll never know.  That's not a shot toward you but more for the others that just bash me rather than my opinions.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking the post.  I think people should get all sides to every story and make their judgments from there.  I hate to have to counter pro Joe pieces but I try to be as objective as possible.  I appreciate what Joe did but that doesn't make him perfect.

I also appreciate the views of those that disagree with me.  I think it helps all of us learn more.  Maybe I'm completely wrong? More likely I'm partially wrong but if people use attack me rather than my arguments we'll never know.  That's not a shot toward you but more for the others that just bash me rather than my opinions.

Some of your argument has merit, and you are entitled to your perception.  There were periods and years where Joe Namath was not a great quarterback, largely due to his hobbled state, and less than great supporting casts.  As for the interceptions, they were a byproduct of the aforementioned challenges and his nature as a gunslinger.  Risk/Reward.

This being said, calling him a " mostly mediocre" quarterback, is beyond ridiculous.  If you truly watched him during his career, I don't know how you could possibly assert that.  He was, and is to this day, one of the top Historical Figures in the History of the NFL.  That cannot be disputed by any sane person.  Also, judging the quarterbacks of that era, and other past times, to today's "prototypes" is folly.  The game, rules, and players are so disparate that comparison is impossible, and futile.  It was true that the AFL was a "passing" league, but it did not resemble today's game in any respect.

Joe Namath was a generational quarterback at the time that he played.  Joe Namath would have been a generational quarterback if he played today.  That is obvious.  End of story.

39 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Some of your argument has merit, and you are entitled to your perception.  There were periods and years where Joe Namath was not a great quarterback, largely due to his hobbled state, and less than great supporting casts.  As for the interceptions, they were a byproduct of the aforementioned challenges and his nature as a gunslinger.  Risk/Reward.

This being said, calling him a " mostly mediocre" quarterback, is beyond ridiculous.  If you truly watched him during his career, I don't know how you could possibly assert that.  He was, and is to this day, one of the top Historical Figures in the History of the NFL.  That cannot be disputed by any sane person.  Also, judging the quarterbacks of that era, and other past times, to today's "prototypes" is folly.  The game, rules, and players are so disparate that comparison is impossible, and futile.  It was true that the AFL was a "passing" league, but it did not resemble today's game in any respect.

Joe Namath was a generational quarterback at the time that he played.  Joe Namath would have been a generational quarterback if he played today.  That is obvious.  End of story.

Thank you for the response.

I need to correct a couple of things you wrote.  I never said Joe was mediocre, I said his career was mostly mediocre which it was.  I agree with you about injuries, if not for his health I think he would have had a great career.

The other thing is comparing him to today's QBs, I have said repeatedly you cannot compare QBs if different eras but must judge them vs their era.

I think Joe may be the single most important player in pro football history.  He was the guest modern superstar and the face of the most important game ever played.  With that said his overall career was not great mostly due to being damaged goods when he came to the Jets.  

I don't bash Joe, I speak fairly. I wish he was mostly healthy but unfortunately that wasn't the case.  He was as great a talent as pro football has ever seen but Jets luck robbed him of being and to display that taken for long.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:18 PM, nyjunc said:

Thank you for the response.

I need to correct a couple of things you wrote.  I never said Joe was mediocre, I said his career was mostly mediocre which it was.  I agree with you about injuries, if not for his health I think he would have had a great career.

The other thing is comparing him to today's QBs, I have said repeatedly you cannot compare QBs if different eras but must judge them vs their era.

I think Joe may be the single most important player in pro football history.  He was the guest modern superstar and the face of the most important game ever played.  With that said his overall career was not great mostly due to being damaged goods when he came to the Jets.  

I don't bash Joe, I speak fairly. I wish he was mostly healthy but unfortunately that wasn't the case.  He was as great a talent as pro football has ever seen but Jets luck robbed him of being and to display that taken for long.

Your post was spot on just one thing you left out.. Joe was a party animal and did not take care of himself..John Schmitt the center said the guys in the huddle used to get a contact high from Joe when he called a play.. The 60's were a very turbulent time and Joe brought that to football in a big way.. Those of us that are Joe's age saw it all live and it was unforgettable..

Archived