Film Room: Sam Darnold's outside of the pocket nastiness.

Villain The Foe

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Just imagine getting this guy a pro caliber offensive line. 

Two takeaways:

1. The offensive line still needs help. We do not have an acceptable level Center on the roster, and Winters needs help (or replacement). KO is a great step, but there was way too much interior pocket collapse. And anyone saying the O line is "fine" is lost. 

2. Maguire is trash. Too many drops. Not reliable. He might not make the team.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CTM said:

Darnold is a lot of fun to watch and would excel on the sandlot, but to be a top pro QB hes got to get better at efficiently running an offense on schedule and in the pocket. This other stuff is gravy.

The top QB's of the past 20 years(Brees, Manning, Brady)  do that with deadly consistancy.

Did you watch the video and see the interior o line pushed into his lap over and over again? LOL. Please.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

You realize that he has had 4 years of starting experience at any level in his ENTIRE LIFE.  This isnt Peyton or some other top recruit who started 3 years in HS and then 3/4 in college.  He started one season in HS, 2 in college and came in as a 21 year old and had the season we all saw last year.   Baker had double the starting experience stepping into opening day last year.

Running an offense is the easy part, accurately hitting your 3rd read, while escaping the pocket behind a terrible line with Eli McGuire in the backfield is the part that most QBs never get.

Whatever. The first day of CTMs career, he had totally mastered all phases of his chosen profession. 

12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Whatever. The first day of CTMs career, he had totally mastered all phases of his chosen profession. 

Lol, one things for certain, I didn't have a bunch of middle aged men blowing me and blaming other departments when I didnt win employee of the year.

47 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I assume as soon as he consistently has a pocket he can start learning to play out of one. 

Yessir. and I absolutely expect him to meet CTM’s standard in pocket deliverance. I’m just saying..CTM definitely wasn’t being unfair here.

36 minutes ago, CTM said:

This is a curated collection of clips where the pocket just does that though. 

I seen it in real time during games too lol. My point of saying that was the entire OL struggled and not just mostly the Guards like it has been suggested on the board.

29 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Nobody who looks at this stuff objectively thinks you’re “anti Sam”. God forbid, ?.

The only ones who would are USC pep squad lady who judges a poster by how she gauges their Darnold love, and a few other Sam ball washers.

This "ball washer" sh*t is f*cking stupid. People are excited about having a young QB with actual top level talent (as opposed to every other terribly flawed QB prospect this team has had since....forever) and are rooting for him to succeed, and have no interest in tearing a 2nd year QB down with constant criticism, and they're "ball washers"? Give me a break. I was ready to just walk away from this crap fest of a team, Darnold is the ONLY THING that makes this team interesting or relevant. 

So, does the second year, 21 year old player need to improve? Yeah. No sh*t, Sherlocks. Solid analysis. But the same douchbags who are hyper critical about EVERYTHING and EVERYONE on the Jets while then dismissing the sh*t squad and garbage staff the kid played with while criticizing every aspect they can find on him to pick at are just kind of pathetic, sad, SOJ fans. 

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

Lol, one things for certain, I didn't have a bunch of middle aged men blowing me and blaming other departments when I didnt win employee of the year.

Nobody knows who you are, and you probably don't do anything interesting enough to care about. So yeah. Aside from that, solid comp.

3 hours ago, CTM said:

Darnold is a lot of fun to watch and would excel on the sandlot, but to be a top pro QB hes got to get better at efficiently running an offense on schedule and in the pocket. This other stuff is gravy.

The top QB's of the past 20 years(Brees, Manning, Brady)  do that with deadly consistancy.

Over the last 3 weeks of the season Darnold was the top ranked passer. 

What he needs to do is continue to refine his timing, reading his keys and getting his guys on the same page.

What this clip is accentuating is the instinct and vision that cannot be taught. Those guys all had that as well and it's much easier to display when a play breaks down. 

32 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

This "ball washer" sh*t is f*cking stupid. People are excited about having a young QB with actual top level talent (as opposed to every other terribly flawed QB prospect this team has had since....forever) and are rooting for him to succeed, and have no interest in tearing a 2nd year QB down with constant criticism, and they're "ball washers"? Give me a break. I was ready to just walk away from this crap fest of a team, Darnold is the ONLY THING that makes this team interesting or relevant. 

So, does the second year, 21 year old player need to improve? Yeah. No sh*t, Sherlocks. Solid analysis. But the same douchbags who are hyper critical about EVERYTHING and EVERYONE on the Jets while then dismissing the sh*t squad and garbage staff the kid played with while criticizing every aspect they can find on him to pick at are just kind of pathetic, sad, SOJ fans. 

Jeez. Get angry much? ?

I would tell you to go back and read my post again, I wasn’t criticizing him at all. Except by now I’ve got a feel for you and your moods. You've got my temper, you blow up, but then it’s  over.

That said, You want a Snickers?

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

calm down brudda. there’s nothing wrong with creating reasonable expectations for Sam in his second year. He looked good last year so wouldn’t it be more troubling if no one set any type of expectations for him? No one is being negative and saying that he won’t make the jump. I’d be inclined to say that he will make the jump considering the moving pieces from last season to this upcoming season. I think some of you guys just take it the wrong way tbh.

11 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

1) The team is drafting top 10 again, hasnt been to playoffs in quite some time and hasnt won a SB in a generation. At what point for you does the recent performance on the field change hyper critical talk to just talk grounded in reality 

2) re: the bolded. What a stupid oblivious comment. You are saying we "are hyper critical about EVERYTHING and EVERYONE on the Jets" and then within the next 10 words and in the very same sentence refer to the "sh*t squad" and "garbage staff"

It seems to me that it is you that is dismissing 52 other guys and an entire staff as garbage in favor of propping up 1 guy, while all I did is in response to this video say hey this stuff is fun to watch and is great but it's not what is going to make him an elite QB.

And that my friend is what makes you a Darnold butt sniffer. So sniff away but you are not a jets fan

8 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

What he needs to do is continue to refine his timing, reading his keys and getting his guys on the same page.

What this clip is accentuating is the instinct and vision that cannot be taught. Those guys all had that as well and it's much easier to display when a play breaks down. 

100%. My point again was what's in this video is fun to watch and really can't be taught. But uts not what is going to make Darnold the next elite QB

19 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Nobody knows who you are, and you probably don't do anything interesting enough to care about. So yeah. Aside from that, solid comp.

Dude, you're talking to the creator of GATA-BOT, an ambitious, albeit failed, Mafia experiment. Show some respect.

26 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Jeez. Get angry much? ?

I would tell you to go back and read my post again, I wasn’t criticizing him at all. Except by now I’ve got a feel for you, and your moods. You've got my temper, you blow up, but then it’s  over.

That said, You want a Snickers?

Are you Irish? LOL. And who's angry? I tell my guys at work straight up when they're being stupid or messed up. Not angry. Just fact. Same thing here.

4 hours ago, CTM said:

How did Mcnown do the year before, how did Sam do his last year in college, how do you think Sam can excel at the learned by countless repetitions portion of the position after what 4 years on the job whereas the other guys have 2x+ the time.

Sam is a gifted improviser, all I'm saying is it takes more than that to be a top player. I dont really understand how that is even a remotely controversial thing to say.

For what it's worth, every Jets QB since 2015 has suffered an injury behind this oline. 

I hear what you're saying though, however, it's also fair to say that in order for Darnold to do more of what you're saying, we need an overall competent oline unit

29 minutes ago, CTM said:

1) The team is drafting top 10 again, hasnt been to playoffs in quite some time and hasnt won a SB in a generation. At what point for you does the recent performance on the field change hyper critical talk to just talk grounded in reality 

2) re: the bolded. What a stupid oblivious comment. You are saying we "are hyper critical about EVERYTHING and EVERYONE on the Jets" and then within the next 10 words and in the very same sentence refer to the "sh*t squad" and "garbage staff"

It is stupid, so why are you the one searching for negatives in Darnolds game while dismissing O line failures, skill position ineptitude, and a clueless coaching staff, but then criticizing those same elements elsewhere? 

It seems to me that it is you that is dismissing 52 other guys and an entire staff as garbage in favor of propping up 1 guy, while all I did is in response to this video say hey this stuff is fun to watch and is great but it's not what is going to make him an elite QB.

Propping up? I'm just optimistic and staying positive on a young player after seeing the Jets trot out trash at QB for 40 years, and the kid has shown enough to prop himself up without my help.

And that my friend is what makes you a Darnold butt sniffer. So sniff away but you are not a jets fan

Yeah. You're right. I'm not a Jets fan. Its been a super secret plot executed over a period of 45 years, costing thoudands of dollars in tickets, travel, and merchandise, and a 20 year presence on Jets message boards to establish my deep cover identity. Are you a Federal agent? Amazing work. My cover is blown.

34 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Exactly.  

And for even more context, think about players like Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder and Ryan Tannenhill.  These are guys who teams took in the top half of round 1 and dont even have a 1/3 of the talent that Sam has showed to date.  We shouldn't be debating anything about Sam given the way he played down the stretch with backups at RB, LG, C, and RT.  Instead we should all be thankful that there aren't 20 threads debating if we should trade up for Kyler Murray or take Dwayne Haskins.

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah. You're right. I'm not a Jets fan. Its been a super secret plot executed over a period of 45 years, costing thoudands of dollars in tickets, travel, and merchandise, and a 20 year presence on Jets message boards to establish my deep cover identity. Are you a Federal agent? Amazing work. My cover is blown.

Very crafty but I caught you, Darnold butt sniffer 

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Joe Willy’s phone just alerted him again when you wrote “blown”.

You better knock it off with that s**t, dude/dudette...

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Holy crap that was good. 100% can see how you can watch that and be more worried about the line than excited by Sam though. 

Im worried about the Oline because of how excited I've become with Darnold. The jets have a bad habit of squandering opportunities. 

Sanchez doesn't look like half the QB in his rookie year as Darnold did, but look at the team that surrounded Sanchez starting with the Oline, Thomas Jones and a couple above average receivers. Imagine giving a top 5 online, Bell and another above average receiver to complement Anderson....even with the defense we have now. I could see the success like we seen in 2009/10. 

Darnold could be special now, and with how the league has been transforming into an offensive heavy league, Darnold may not even hit his prime for like 7 or 8 years, and if done right we could win a SB or 2 with him before even hits his prime. 

None of that will be possible if he's on his back looking up at the sky. 

36 minutes ago, CTM said:

100%. My point again was what's in this video is fun to watch and really can't be taught. But uts not what is going to make Darnold the next elite QB

Agreed. Being moblie helps, and an ability to throw on the run are very helpful, though.

But would you agree that it will help if he has competent C play, a legitimate NFL level Coaching staff, and maybe a skill player or two better than just Herndon and former UDFAs and 6th round picks to work with? 

If I see the same issues playing with Crowder, Bell, and a solid Center, Ill be ready to start the questions.

3 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

You will always find the negative on any post that highlights something positive concerning Sam.  I get it, Sam was never your choice, yet Villain, the huge Baker fan, can find the positive and get the fact Sam is young, and has an innate, special gift that he can build on.  

Sam improves his throwing motion before the draft, many pundits stating it is a difficult adjustment.  Fixed the fumbling issue....but he’ll always be a gunslinger and make those dangerous throws, but I have faith with coaching and growing familiarity with his weapons - and yes he has them, the INTs will also be cut down.  

2017 at USC he had 9 interceptions to 31 touchdowns, in his 2018 season at SC he lost 3 starting offensive linemen, and mostly true freshmen weapons.  Sam will always have interceptions, and turn around and make spectacular plays that make you forget the bad throws.  

You’re stuck with Sam, too bad, but you’ll find comfort that he will always have weaknesses to his game you can focus on.  Enjoy, ‘cause there is nothing you can do about it.

@Villain The Foe thank you for the video, you’re a good guy!

Thanks for always taking the time Auntie! 

Every time I watch Darnold I see the baseball and basketball player in him come out 

just such a natural ability to put the ball where he wants and basketball gives you vision to keep track of multiple people but more importantly anticipation of where they are going 

Archived