Film Room: Sam Darnold's outside of the pocket nastiness.

I still can't believe we actually have Bell on our roster. It's very disappointing when I do my fantasy draft & not 1 Jet gets picked in the 1st 8 rounds,lol.

That tells you all you need to know about offensive prowess. 

On 4/20/2019 at 2:47 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Im worried about the Oline because of how excited I've become with Darnold. The jets have a bad habit of squandering opportunities. 

Sanchez doesn't look like half the QB in his rookie year as Darnold did, but look at the team that surrounded Sanchez starting with the Oline, Thomas Jones and a couple above average receivers. Imagine giving a top 5 online, Bell and another above average receiver to complement Anderson....even with the defense we have now. I could see the success like we seen in 2009/10. 

Darnold could be special now, and with how the league has been transforming into an offensive heavy league, Darnold may not even hit his prime for like 7 or 8 years, and if done right we could win a SB or 2 with him before even hits his prime. 

None of that will be possible if he's on his back looking up at the sky. 

This is my take as well.

I watched this video at least 4 times, went back and watched Sanchez in his second year in playoff competition and then watched Baker Mayfield (he was my pick in the last draft).

And the one key that you pointed out is the OL play.  Sanchez made poor decisions at times even with good play.  Baker had excellent line play that maintained the pocket and gave him clean throwing lanes and Sam had to bale out of the pocket to many times to make stuff happen.

This was an excellent video because it broke down in detail why the OL was poor and the stats don't fully reflect a Center who can't snap the ball or a line that get overrun by a three man rush.... 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Is this bad satire or stupidity? Hard to tell.....

Or are you suggesting Jonatthon Harrison is an adequate starting center? I really don't know what you're trying to say.

PS Happy Easter!

Harrison is fine. I'm trying to say a guy who moves outside of the pocket and is stronger outside shouldn't be worried about having nick mangold at the pivot. Friggin houston barely has any offensive line at all... cause Watson moves 

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Harrison is fine. I'm trying to say a guy who moves outside of the pocket and is stronger outside shouldn't be worried about having nick mangold at the pivot. Friggin houston barely has any offensive line at all... cause Watson moves 

Hasn’t Watson been the most sacked QB in the NFL?  That sweet young man is going to get injured behind that line.  Again.

Not a good example for your argument at all. 

3 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Hasn’t Watson been the most sacked QB in the NFL?  That sweet young man is going to get injured behind that line.  Again.

Not a good example for your argument at all. 

unlike Houston the Jets have 4 decent starters at the other spots. They aren't as bad a line as houston. 

The point is if they are going to roll the pocket to play to Sam Darnold's strengths, the center doesn't need to be an All Pro. 

it's a nice to have not a need 

On 4/20/2019 at 7:23 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

Hopefully he never has to rely on Elijah F'n McGuire as a safety net again. Dude is terrible.

I think we upgraded both RB1 and RB 2.  I liked Powell but we knew he was never going to come back in 2019.  The idea that McGuire could grow into the RB2 was crazy IMO.  He's a periodic 3rd down back and a backup.

Bell >>>> Crowell

Ty Montgomery >> McGuire

Darnold has much better options (and hands) around him now, especially when you include Crowder at the slot position.

• Upvote 1

With the FA moves the Jets have upgraded more than 25% of the offense.  Bell, Crowder and Osemele are all very, very good talents.  If the Jets can find a young, longterm answer at Center in the Draft then I'm very happy with how the offseason went on offense.  I didn't expect every problem to be solved and next year we'll focus on LT, OG and WR, each to different degrees.  But for now the Jets have moved the dial in the right direction.  Need at least one more OLine piece out of this Draft so that next year's needs are a little more minimized.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Whatever. The point is if they are going to roll the pocket to play to Sam Darnold's strengths, the center doesn't need to be an All Pro. 

it's a nice to have not a need 

You are aware that a good line helps other skilled position players, right?  Ever watch a center create a hole for a RB to run through?  

Steelers WR JuJu Smith-Schuster gave his oline Go Pro cameras for Christmas, wonder why?  RBs and receivers often team up with the QB to show their appreciation for their oline.