Positional top 5s for the Jets Draft

Paradis

This is both an exercise in futility (my affection is the kiss of death) and an annual demonstration illustrating how big of a loser I am...  My top 5s are based on a mix ability/confidence but also where talent meets the value -- so doesn't always translate to popular boards.

**This is specific to the Jets needs/Draft position

QBs

giphy.gif

RBs:

1. D. Singletary, FAU (rnd 3-4)
  2. W. Hills, SRU (rnd 6-7)
  3. D. Williams, ND (rnd 4-5)
  4. R. Anderson, OU (rnd 5-6)
  5. A. Barnes, KSU (rnd 4-5)

UDFA: J Scarlett (FU), D Ozigbo (Neb)

WRs: (emphasis on X/split end)

1. N. Harry, ASU (rnd 2, *trade)
  2. K. Doss, UC Davis (rnd 3-4)
  3. J. Hurd, Baylor (rnd 3-4)
  4. J. Ferguson, NWSU (rnd 5-6)
  5. DK Metcalf, Miss (late1/2 *trade)

UDFA: E Butler (NAU), J Way (SAU), J Gardner (Miami OH) 

TEs:

1. K. Warring, SDSU (rnd 5)
  2. K. Brown, TXST (rnd 6-7)
  3. J. Oliver, SJSU (rnd 4)
  4. N. Fant, Iowa (rnd 1 *trade)
  5. D. Knox, Miss (rnd 4)

UDFA: D Parham (Stetson), L Parker (SUU)

OTs

1. J. Taylor, FU (rnd 1 *trade)
  2. A. Dillard, WSU (rnd 1/2 *trade)
  3. T Howard, ASU (rnd 3)
  4. T. Pipkins, SFU (rnd 5-6)
  5. C Edoga, USC (rnd 4-5)

UDFA: T Roemer (SDSU) J Miles (Morgan State)

OGs

1. J. Williams, Bama (rnd 1 *trade)
  2. C. Linstrom, BC (rnd 2 *trade)
  3. N. Davis, Charlotte (rnd 3-4)
  4. A. Bars, ND (rnd 5-6)
  5. K. Sutherland, TAMU (rnd 5-6)

UDFA: L Bonner (ASU), BJ Autry (JSU)

Center

1. G. Bradbury, NC St (rnd 1 *trade)
  2. E. McCoy, TAMU (rnd 2 *trade)
  3. E. Jenkins, Miss St (rnd 3)
  4. C. McGovern, PSU (rnd 4-5)
  5. M. Jordan, OSU (rnd 3-4)

UDFA: nothing. Trash.

Pass Rusher:

1. N. Bosa, OSU (rnd 1)
  2. J. Allen, KU (rnd 1)
  3. B. Burns, FSU (rnd 1 *trade)
  4. C. Winovich, Mich (rnd 3-4)
  5. M. Crosby, EMU (rnd 5-7)

UDFA: T Ward (ODU) A. Saint-Amour (GT)

Dline:

1. E. Oliver, Hou (rnd 1)
  2. D. Mack, TAMU (rnd 4-5)
  3. PJ Johnson, AU (rnd 6-7)
  4. not interested in anyone else

UDFA: C Kaufusi (BYU)

LBs

1. Not even going to bother because, seriously.

DBs

1. B. Murphy, WU (rnd 1 *trade)
  2. J. Williams, Vanderbilt (rnd 3)
  3. N. Needham, UTEP (rnd 5-6)
  4. R. Sin, Temple (rnd 3-4)
  5. J. Love ND (rnd 3)

UDFA: Small school guys -- they won't all get drafted; Moreland/Brown/Ballentine

"D Ozigbo (Neb) "

He can't be an UDFA because I drafted him in the 7th round in the jet nation draft and I would get minus points.  Please make an adjustment and list him as a 6th rounder.

Good work on this.  I cant make a judgment on many of these because I have done less draft research this year than in many years.  My first year of retirement and I have less time to look into the draft than I did when I worked.  ?

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why don’t you like RB David Montgomery who is a complete back and David Long CB who profiles like a young Revis?

Re: Montgomery, couple reasons. This is jets specific, and so i'm looking at change of pace/big play guys. Montgomery is an athletically limited jack of all trades who I'm not convinced is going to make it in the NFL... secondly, he's being tabbed as a round 2 guy.. so, not even remotely close to where value meets the talent. 

Long... It's just a case of he'll go too early. We pick at #3 and then in 3rd round.. so even in a trade back scenario, i wouldn't put him in my top 5. 

Where’s Greedy Williams? He’s touted as the best cb in this draft and just might be our pick. 

I like many of your top 5’s. The T T Howard from ASU would be a great player to develop. I don’t see us drafting another RB. We have so many other needs and just signed Bell and Montgomery. Nor do I see us going WR. We are set there for the time being. OL, Edge, DT, CB are the targets. 

49 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Re: Montgomery, couple reasons. This is jets specific, and so i'm looking at change of pace/big play guys.

I'm not sure how you can leave Darrell Henderson off of your list if this is what you are looking for. He's the biggest home run threat of any back in this draft whether he is running the ball or catching it. 

@Paradis  

I’m hoping the Jets can get a Center in this draft. How much of a drop off in talent is there from Bradbury to Jenkins, who you rate as a 3rd round pick?

Would it be reasonable to assume he could come in, start, and play at a higher level right away then Harrison?

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

unpopular opinion:

i think Elgton Jenkins will be better than Erik McCoy.

That makes me happy. Jenkins is the guy I’m hoping the Jets can get in the 3rd.

Wasn’t he ranked higher a few months ago, or am I confusing him with someone else?

16 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Wasn’t he ranked higher a few months ago, or am I confusing him with someone else?

He’s been projected from the 2nd to 3rd all the way along the process. Some ppl say he’ll be there in the 3rd and some don’t...really not sure how it shakes out but Center is a position that is getting more popular in the draft, year in and year out.

53 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'm not sure how you can leave Darrell Henderson off of your list if this is what you are looking for. He's the biggest home run threat of any back in this draft whether he is running the ball or catching it. 

I think i may have subconsciously left him off just so I can see what you had to say. ?

You're right that is his profile, but i'm not going to quit now. I said he struck me as fool's gold, and if i changed that story, it would be b/c others are saying so. I still don't trust him. 

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Where’s Greedy Williams? He’s touted as the best cb in this draft and just might be our pick. 

I like many of your top 5’s. The T T Howard from ASU would be a great player to develop. I don’t see us drafting another RB. We have so many other needs and just signed Bell and Montgomery. Nor do I see us going WR. We are set there for the time being. OL, Edge, DT, CB are the targets. 

As I said in my opening post, this is not a top-five overall, this is top five prospects for the Jets based on where we pick, and where the value is. I like Murphy over Williams and he’s the only CB I would consider early. After that I like the talent in rnd 3-4 at DB 

I think we need to get a split end WR to groom. Like it needs to be a priority

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think i may have subconsciously left him off just so I can see what you had to say. ?

Like a moth to the flame.?

I appreciate your fortitude but you're wrong on this one. If we draft him and pair him with Bell that could be the best backfield in the NFL. Thunder and Lightning and both can be a bellcow if there is an injury. 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

@Paradis  

I’m hoping the Jets can get a Center in this draft. How much of a drop off in talent is there from Bradbury to Jenkins, who you rate as a 3rd round pick?

Would it be reasonable to assume he could come in, start, and play at a higher level right away then Harrison?

I would say anyone of those top 3-4 would leapfrog Harrison. Problem is, after that is the Grand Canyon. Imo anyway. 

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

unpopular opinion:

i think Elgton Jenkins will be better than Erik McCoy.

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’s been projected from the 2nd to 3rd all the way along the process. Some ppl say he’ll be there in the 3rd and some don’t...really not sure how it shakes out but Center is a position that is getting more popular in the draft, year in and year out.

Jenkins will not be there at 3.04.  Period.  He's going middle round 2 maybe higher.  He'll go before McCoy, who will also be taken in 2.  You want a center at 3.4?  Forget McCoy and Jenkins.  You're more likely looking at Connor McGovern (who might also be gone) or Michael Jordan. Without a trade back, we are not filling that need with the desired choices.

@Paradis, dude, where are the tight ends.  Of all people to skip the TE position, you are the last I would expect.  Haven't had time to study them on my own, but guys like Oliver, Warring, Raymond, Smith (Kaden, not Irv) could be nice to pair with Herndon. 

Or even Tommy Sweeney.  Don't know much about his game, but anyone who was in a photo on twitter wearing an Islander jersey is ok by me right now.

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

@Paradis, dude, where are the tight ends.  Of all people to skip the TE position, you are the last I would expect.  Haven't had time to study them on my own, but guys like Oliver, Warring, Raymond, Smith (Kaden, not IrV0 could be nice to pair with Herndon. 

Or even Tommy Sweeney.  Don't know much about his game, but anyone who was in a photo on twitter wearing an Islander jersey is ok by me right now.

All in on Oliver.  I like warring too.  Not as high on the UCLA kid.  If Oliver or Sternberger sitting there at 3.29 or 4.3 would consider one of them, with a WR in the other spot (assuming Edge and OL taken at 1.3 and 3.4.)

37 minutes ago, Dcat said:

All in on Oliver.  I like warring too.  Not as high on the UCLA kid.  If Oliver or Sternberger sitting there at 3.29 or 4.3 would consider one of them, with a WR in the other spot (assuming Edge and OL taken at 1.3 and 3.4.)

Don't fall asleep on Dawson Knox from Ole Miss.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Jenkins will not be there at 3.04.  Period.  He's going middle round 2 maybe higher.  He'll go before McCoy, who will also be taken in 2.  You want a center at 3.4?  Forget McCoy and Jenkins.  You're more likely looking at Connor McGovern (who might also be gone) or Michael Jordan. Without a trade back, we are not filling that need with the desired choices.

Trade back or bust, my friend.

12 hours ago, RobR said:

Like a moth to the flame.?

I appreciate your fortitude but you're wrong on this one. If we draft him and pair him with Bell that could be the best backfield in the NFL. Thunder and Lightning and both can be a bellcow if there is an injury. 

Chances are you're correct, and I should have moved on from my funny feeling. I do see moments on his tape that make you go - holy cow. But yea. I don't dislike him, i just don't think i could put my name on it if the GM was looking at me and said "should we do it?" 

3 hours ago, Lith said:

@Paradis, dude, where are the tight ends.  Of all people to skip the TE position, you are the last I would expect.  Haven't had time to study them on my own, but guys like Oliver, Warring, Raymond, Smith (Kaden, not Irv) could be nice to pair with Herndon. 

Guilty. In another act of subconscious Freudian melodrama, I forgot to type in my rankings i had written down.... b/c i just can't seem to get excited about this class. Love the two Hawkeyes, then nothing. I was sweet on Oliver, but he looked out of place at the Senior Bowl... so i guess Warring and Brown? Not inspiring. 

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

"D Ozigbo (Neb) "

He can't be an UDFA because I drafted him in the 7th round in the jet nation draft and I would get minus points.  Please make an adjustment and list him as a 6th rounder.

Good work on this.  I cant make a judgment on many of these because I have done less draft research this year than in many years.  My first year of retirement and I have less time to look into the draft than I did when I worked.  ?

I can easily relate. It's like WTF did the time go today ? lol

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Shocked that Q wasn't on any of your D lists.

I taste sarcasm. He's not in the top 5 for the Jets, doesn't mean I'm saying he's not a top 5 Dlinemen.  

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Jonah Williams at LT. don’t buy that he’s “only” a guard.

Never said he wasn't, just if we're talking about the Jets, and value, he's not a value pick at LT in a trade back scenario. He's behind Taylor and Dillard IMO. 

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding how this top 5 "For the Jets" thing works. 

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Shocked that Q wasn't on any of your D lists.

Yeah theres a good chance the Jets pick Quinnen Williams. Either him or Bosa are my guesses if they stay at 3 .  And I cant talk draft anymore. Enough speculation . We get the real thing on thursday. Too many predictions and guesses and wants. I know its something to talk about but I just cant read anymore predictions. But thats me.  

On 4/20/2019 at 7:28 PM, Paradis said:

This is both an exercise in futility (my affection is the kiss of death) and an annual demonstration illustrating how big of a loser I am...  My top 5s are based on a mix ability/confidence but also where talent meets the value -- so doesn't always translate to popular boards.

QBs

giphy.gif

RBs:

TEs:

5. D. Knox, Miss (rnd 4)

OTs

3. T Howard, ASU (rnd 3)

OGs

4. A. Bars, ND (rnd 5-6)

Center

Pass Rusher:

1. N. Bosa, OSU (rnd 1)
  2. J. Allen, KU (rnd 1)

Dline:

LBs

DBs

5. J. Love ND (rnd 3)

UDFA: Small school guys -- they won't all get drafted; Moreland/Brown/Ballentine

Love Donald Parham TE Stetson. 

6-9 athletic fast strong just a nightmare matchup. 

On 4/20/2019 at 7:28 PM, Paradis said:

QBs

giphy.gif

RBs:

TEs:

5. D. Knox, Miss (rnd 4)

OTs

3. T Howard, ASU (rnd 3)

OGs

4. A. Bars, ND (rnd 5-6)

Center

Pass Rusher:

1. N. Bosa, OSU (rnd 1)
  2. J. Allen, KU (rnd 1)

Dline:

LBs

DBs

5. J. Love ND (rnd 3)

Also love the Keelan Doss suggestion. 

Archived