Jets Open for Business, so who Could be Shopping for 3rd Pick?

IMG_1661-1.jpg

Even before rumors of the Jets being desperate to trade down and add draft capital earlier this week, it was abundantly clear that Mike Maccagnan and company would be very aggressive in trying to move down from the third overall pick.  The problem for the Jets could be finding a buyer who is willing to meet their asking price.  So who could look to move up when the draft rolls around?  Let’s take a look.

New York Giants:

The Giants have two first-round picks (6th & 17th) with a need at quarterback.  It’s believed that they’re interested in Duke quarterback Daniel Jones who should be there at six but do they risk getting leapfrogged by other teams (Broncos, Redskins) in search of a quarterback themselves?

If so, they should be reaching out to Gang Green to make a rare trade between the two clubs as both would look to benefit in a big way as they look to improve their future outlook.

Denver Broncos: 

If you think Mike Maccagnan had a hard time finding a quarterback after using a second and a fourth round pick on Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty respectively, you should take a look at John Elway’s work at the position. 

The Broncos current starting quarterback is Joe Flacco, who should start collecting social security sometime after the season kicks off.  The reason why Flacco is in place is because Elway’s addition of Case Keenum for big money was a flop last year.  Elway had to spend big on Keenum because he burned a first-round pick on Paxton Lynch, who, like Hakcneberg, isn’t an NFL quarterback.  Trevor Siemian was the quarterback prior to Lynch, and Zac Dysert was an option before him.  It was before Dysert that Elway used a second-round pick on Brock Osweiller as the heir apparent to Peyton Manning, who signed with Denver as a free agent.  So aside from signing a Hall of Fame free agent, Elway has missed on a total of five quarterbacks, two of which were taken with a first and second round pick.  Once Flacco fails, that number should climb to six.

Even still, Elway is in place and knows he needs a quarterback, and the Jets could stay in the top 10 by moving down to 7 and adding more picks.  With Kyler Murray expected to go first overall and the Giants also hoping to land a QB at 6, Denver could look to leapfrog the Giants to take another swing at the position.

Washington Redskins:

There are some reasons why the Redskins should be looking to add a quarterback, and some indicators that suggest they’re hoping to grab one much higher than 15th overall which is where they currently sit.

First off, the ‘Skins quarterback is Colt McCoy.  That alone is reason enough to be in the market for a QB.  The Giants figure to add a quarterback at six, giving them a potential long-term answer at the position.  Then of course there’s the fact that the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys have two of the top young QB’s in the game in Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott respectively.

If you’re the Redskins, it’s going to be tough to explain to the fans that you’re in dire need for a QB but sat back and got the third or fourth option in a weak class.

And while it’s not uncommon for teams to host players who are unlikely to be on the board when they’re on the clock, the Redskins would have been a bit overboard in recently hosting Kyler Murray unless they’re looking to move up if he doesn’t go first overall as expected.  They’ve also hosted Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins, so if they strongly prefer one over the other, they won’t be able to sit back and 15 to get one.

Of course the draft could be full of surprises.  Maybe the Raiders decide they’d like to move up a spot to grab Josh Allen.  Maybe the Bucs want to jump the Raiders as both teams are rumored to have interest in linebacker Devin White. Or maybe, just maybe, the Jets stay at 3 and snag the best player in the draft in Quinnen Williams, or add the best edge rusher on the board.

Only a few more days before we find out.

The post Jets Open for Business, so who Could be Shopping for 3rd Pick? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
6G6i-QrGlKA

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

Jets & Giants aren't making a trade that's that high profile. Also don't know if the Giants are really interested in a QB in the first round this year. 

The Broncos have had a couple losing seasons in a row and probably would prefer to build around Flacco than draft his replacement immediately after signing him. 

Redskins would have to come up with a monster offer to get from #15 to #3, and I'd listen. 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Raiders too depending on how the draft falls, they have enough ammo to do whatever they want 

I think that the Raiders wanting a QB (or at least perceived to) helps us out in this regard. 3 is the spot you want to get to, if you need to beat their first pick.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, freestater said:

I think that the Raiders wanting a QB (or at least perceived to) helps us out in this regard. 3 is the spot you want to get to, if you need to beat their first pick.

Raiders help us on two fronts, as they're also in need of a pass rush after trading Mack last year. Teams could be looking to get ahead of them for different reasons. Personally, I think they like having themselves rumored to be in the QB market so that someone does trade ahead of them to grab one, pushing another premium defender down to them. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Raiders help us on two fronts, as they're also in need of a pass rush after trading Mack last year. Teams could be looking to get ahead of them for different reasons. Personally, I think they like having themselves rumored to be in the QB market so that someone does trade ahead of them to grab one, pushing another premium defender down to them. 

Is #24 and #27 enough for #3 or would #4 have to be part of the deal? 

Based on the guys the jets had in for private visits it does not look like they’re contemplating moving beyond 10.  I think the teams most likely to move up are the raiders, bucs and giants.  I do think the giants are a viable possibility to trade with the jets, they both have needs which complement each other.  Whether gettleman admits it or not this is a critical draft for him and if he whiffs on qbs again i think he’s gone.  I also think the bucs could want a particular defender and move up 2 spots ahead of the raiders.

i still think one way or another the jets are getting josh allen.

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I didn't think of that. Good point. Man, Thursday can't come fast enough lol

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Is #24 and #27 enough for #3 or would #4 have to be part of the deal? 

I don't think the Raiders are trading up, but I'd want the #4 pick if they did. Might be able to get a second rounder out of them if they're targeting Bosa. 

• Upvote 1

As others have stated, the Raiders help us with their possible interest in a QB. If Arizona passes on Murray (doubtful) then Oakland will definitely be looking to grab him at 4. Anyone would have to trade with us to get ahead of Oakland.

More probable, Arizona takes Murray...we hope that a Denver, Cincy, Washington love Haskins or Lock enough to make sure they get ahead of NYG. I know everything being reported is that NYG wants Daniel Jones. I think that’s a smokescreen and they really want Lock (which has been reported as well). 

I think Oakland and Tampa would be hesitant to move out of their spots as both teams will land a MUCH NEEDED premium defensive prospect. Giving is the team to trade up with for anyone.

In the end, I roll the dice on Washington. They’re clearly not in tank mode (signing Landon Collins to big $) and will probably be out the QB sweepstakes top pick next year. They’ll need to go get a QB now to save Jay’s job. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetsfaneh said:

A team not mentioned much. The Bengals. New coach. Dalton isn't a guy a new regime may want to hang their hat on. Haskins being an Ohio State guy. They may want to nab their QB of the future now so he can sit a year like Mahomes did with Alex Smith.

Good point. And they’ve been quiter than a mouse.

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Based on the guys the jets had in for private visits it does not look like they’re contemplating moving beyond 10.  I think the teams most likely to move up are the raiders, bucs and giants.  I do think the giants are a viable possibility to trade with the jets, they both have needs which complement each other.  Whether gettleman admits it or not this is a critical draft for him and if he whiffs on qbs again i think he’s gone.  I also think the bucs could want a particular defender and move up 2 spots ahead of the raiders.

i still think one way or another the jets are getting josh allen.

Really don't see the Jets & Giants trading at all, but especially not a high profile first round trade like that. The Jets don't want to help the Giants get their franchise QB, and both teams are frightened to death to be the perceived loser in a trade of that caliber and having it being the subject of conversations in the NYC area for the next decade. The Giants already feel that a little bit because they took Barkley over Darnold. Can you imagine the Giants landing a QB better than Sam and the Jets picking a bust at #6? Or vice versa, where the jints pick the bust and the Jets luck into the draft's best defender at #6? Neither team has the stomach for such a scenario. 

Also could see the Giants passing on QBs entirely this year. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Really don't see the Jets & Giants trading at all, but especially not a high profile first round trade like that. The Jets don't want to help the Giants get their franchise QB, and both teams are frightened to death to be the perceived loser in a trade of that caliber and having it being the subject of conversations in the NYC area for the next decade. The Giants already feel that a little bit because they took Barkley over Darnold. Can you imagine the Giants landing a QB better than Sam and the Jets picking a bust at #6? Or vice versa, where the jints pick the bust and the Jets luck into the draft's best defender at #6? Neither team has the stomach for such a scenario. 

Both gms are on the ‘hotseat’.  Giants need a qb whether gettleman admits it or not.  Mccagnan needs at least a 2nd rounder to get a center.  Setting aside the ny connection, a trade makes a lot of sense.  I think the jets know darnold has star written all over him and they won’t hesitate to trade back with the giants.  Jets are going for it now, they need more players. I think it’s the giants who would be afraid here, they can’t make a mistake on a qb, especially if they trade up.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Both gms are on the ‘hotseat’.  Giants need a qb whether gettleman admits it or not.  Mccagnan needs at least a 2nd rounder to get a center.  Setting aside the ny connection, a trade makes a lot of sense.  I think the jets know darnold has star written all over him and they won’t hesitate to trade back with the giants.  Jets are going for it now, they need more players. I think it’s the giants who would be afraid here, they can’t make a mistake on a qb, especially if they trade up.  

Any other team, and I'd agree that they look like potential trading partners, but you can't take the NY connection out of the equation. The hot seat they're both on makes it even less likely. Last year when the Jets traded up, they didn't even contact the Giants. Same thing is happening this year, IMHO. These guys are very much aware of public perception. I do think Gettleman would love to trade that #17 pick, for instance, so that whoever's drafted there isn't compared to OBJ for the next five years. He just won't be trading it to the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, slats said:

Any other team, and I'd agree that they look like potential trading partners, but you can't take the NY connection out of the equation. The hot seat they're both on makes it even less likely. Last year when the Jets traded up, they didn't even contact the Giants. Same thing is happening this year, IMHO. These guys are very much aware of public perception. I do think Gettleman would love to trade that #17 pick, for instance, so that whoever's drafted there isn't compared to OBJ for the next five years. He just won't be trading it to the Jets. 

think it’s telling that the only prospects the jets brought in for private visits who are not projected to be top 5 picks are Fant, Dillard and Jonah williams.  I think the jets most likely trading partners are still in the 4-6 range.  And i think if they trade back, it’s 50/50 they take an OL.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Boy that’s a big risk. 2 years passing on a QB and now you’re thinking of a 3rd and hoping you have the ammo to go get your guy? They may want to flip a pick for a #1 next year if you’re taking that risk.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

24 and 27 would be ripping us off. 

Don't worry the Raiders aren't giving away any of there picks to move up , as they are more likely to trade back to acquire more picks.      The Raiders most likely are drafting these positions with there first four picks in any order.   1 Defense end 2. cornerback 3. OG / Tackle with one of their first round picks) 4 best one left out of Wr/Te or RB. 

Just now, Raideraholic said:

Don't worry the Raiders aren't giving away any of there picks to move up , as they are more likely to trade back to acquire more picks.      The Raiders most likely are drafting these positions with there first four picks in any order.   1 Defense end 2. cornerback 3. OG / Tackle with one of their first round picks) 4 best one left out of Wr/Te or RB. 

I thought you'd give up this schtick after the Mack fiasco.

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I thought you'd give up this schtick after the Mack fiasco.

Watch the draft, and see the positions they draft with the top 4 picks( three number 1 and pick 35). It will be defense lineman , cornerback, Og/ Tackle , and best one left on their board out of Te/ Wr, and Rb.  ( don't know what position what pick) 

Come back after the first two rounds , and tell me how wrong I was.

80% they trade back at 4. 

20% they make the pick. Probably only stay for Q Williams  , or Bosa. ( both should be gone. 

0% they trade up.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Watch the draft, and see the positions they draft with the top 4 picks( three number 1 and pick 35). It will be defense lineman , cornerback, Og/ Tackle , and best one left on their board out of Te/ Wr, and Rb.  ( don't know what position what pick) 

Come back after the first two rounds , and tell me how wrong I was.

80% they trade back at 4. 

20% they make the pick. Probably only stay for Q Williams  , or Bosa. ( both should be gone. 

0% they trade up.

Dude, go to a Raiders site. Nobody gives a sh*t about the Las Vegas Raiders here

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, SR24 said:

If Mac traded #3 to them and didn’t get #4 he should be banished from football 

Yeah. It's one thing to trade down to 15 because there could still be some elite talent at 15, but to go down to the 20s when the team you are trading with has the #4 would be a bad move....unless the haul included much more than those 2 late 1st rounders. 

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Would you trade up to #3 to select your choice of Bosa/Allen/QW if the only compensation was Rodney Hudson (who your team was reportedly shopping)?

I think draft falls:

1. ARI: QB, Kyler Murray

2. NYG: QB, Dwayne Haskins

3. OAK: DE, Nick Bosa 

4. NYJ: DE, Josh Allen