New York Jets free safety Marcus Maye fires back at Tyran Mathieu

The Marcus Maye-Tyran Mathieu situation has officially turned legit.

Mathieu, the now Kansas City Chiefs safety, was rumored to sign with the New York Jetslast offseason. Apparently, it didn’t work out thanks to head coach Todd Bowles’s assertion that his current free safety, Maye, was better. Mathieu let everybody in on the information in a social media reply.

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/04/21/new-york-jets-marcus-maye-fires-back-at-tyrann-mathieu-truth-bomb/

• Sympathy 1

Health is Mayes biggest concern. He needs to stay healthy, if he can do that him & Adams are a top 5 safety duo. Hopefully 2019 is the year he shows up.

Agreed. This should be the final season we consider him the starting FS though. One last chance to stay on the field. If he can’t that position gets added to the holes to fix next offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Mac should be on the phone working to get a 2nd round draft pick from Tampa for Maye if Bowles is really that in love with him - maybe a player trade?

Mathieu is a better football player and he actually plays on the field

Because one the only 2nd round picks who has panned out should be traded away.  Because what all the good teams do is trade away good players for no reason other than to collect picks no better than the one we used on that player 2 years ago.  

New take though.  Usually it's Maye is better than our hated all pro S.  Now he should be traded right after the all pro safety is traded. 

Cant make this line of thinking up. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Health is Mayes biggest concern. He needs to stay healthy, if he can do that him & Adams are a top 5 safety duo. Hopefully 2019 is the year he shows up.

It's funny you say that because the braggadocious Jamal Adams took the media World by storm last year. But if you watched Maye and Adam's first year together, number 26 was clearly the better player hands down. I actually gravitated towards him being my favorite player and it sucks that he caught the injury bug. But I definitely do hope he comes back this year and shows everybody what's up

• Upvote 1

So to recap, most were trashing Bowles around here last offseason when there were rumors the Jets were pursuing Mathieu, with folks hating the Jets possibly investing even more in safety after spending first and second round picks on the position the year prior.  Now we should instead trash Bowles because they may not have done that due to those investments already made at the position, mostly because Maye would have injury problems that came after that.

I guess it's a good thing that Maccagnan is a totally useless coffee boy who does absolutely nothing at all and therefore has no responsibility for the endless incompetence of the Jets' roster building his entire time here.  I mean, it's not like Mathieu was a FA again this offseason who could have been brought in after Bowles was gone and Maye's health issues were now known or anything, right?  Grrrrr BOOOOOOWLES!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Don't you actually have to play to be able to prove you are better then someone?

To be fair he didn't miss a single game his rookie year and played nearly half the season last year (6 games) despite battling through injuries. 

Yes, he seems to be injury prone, even going back to college. This notion that he is never on the field is just not accurate. 

He missed some games battling through injuries early on last season and then had a season ending injury that shut him down the rest of the games. Ended up missing 10 of the 16 games last year, which is a lot. 

But that's it. Again, played all 16 games as a rookie. He's been in the league 2 years. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

To be fair he didn't miss a single game his rookie year and played nearly half the season last year (6 games) despite battling through injuries. 

Yes, he seems to be injury prone, even going back to college. This notion that he is never on the field is just not accurate. 

He missed some games battling through injuries early on last season and then had a season ending injury that shut him down the rest of the games. Ended up missing 10 of the 16 games last year, which is a lot. 

But that's it. Again, played all 16 games as a rookie. He's been in the league 2 years. 

We drafted him with a broke arm and he’s had several injuries since

Maye makes Chad Pennington look like Cal Ripken JR

3 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Bowles will go down as an all-time bad HC.

Maye isn't a bad player but you've gotta be on the field to make an impact.  He needs to have a healthy year.

To be fair to Bowles, who I hate, everyone here is acting as if Bowles said this to Mathieu AFTER The 2018 season. It was said after the 2017 season when Maye played great, for a rookie, and started all 16 games. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Let's not get crazy now... the ole noodle had two 16-game seasons in an eleven year career, the first one occurring his seventh year in the league.  Maye would need to have a few amputations before he'd be in talks of being at the Pennington level of glass.

26 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Again, I said "Yes, he seems to be injury prone, even going back to college" A So I am not acting like the guy doesn't get hurt. My point was simply that he has been in the league 2 years. Played 6 games last year after battling injuries and then suffering a season ending injury. It's not like he never plays cuz hes always hurt. He's only been in the league 2 years and was hurt most of last year.