Why don’t we want one of the big 3?

Philc1

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The three best players in this draft are Bosa, Quinnen Williams and Josh Allen.  Jets are going to be in a position to draft one of them

why is this a bad thing?

not a bad thing at all (if that is what happens) but the big 3 do not directly help Sam become a FQB and that is the top (maybe only) priority - Sam fails and nothing else matters - Mac bet the farm with the trade up, luckily got his man and now needs to see it through or it was a bad bet

7 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

not a bad thing at all (if that is what happens) but the big 3 do not directly help Sam become a FQB and that is the top (maybe only) priority - Sam fails and nothing else matters - Mac bet the farm with the trade up, luckily got his man and now needs to see it through or it was a bad bet

Exactly. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Because JJ Watt and Aaron Donald are unicorn elite all-time players and their teams were non-competitive until they found decent quarterbacks. Q. Williams isn’t the prospect that Watt or Donald were, and he’s redundant with Leonard Williams here. 

By whose ranking?   Q is considered a top prospect and graded as such.  Donald was drafted 13, not even top ten so obviously he wasn’t the no brainer prospect you now suggest he was 

16 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Because they all have question marks. Bosa never had a dominant season, is an ok athlete and is an injury waiting to happen. Allen and Q both had at least 1 dominant season.  But is Q even a better prospect than Oliver? 

Yes

7 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

By whose ranking?   Q is considered a top prospect and graded as such.  Donald was drafted 13, not even top ten so obviously he wasn’t the no brainer prospect you now suggest he was 

Enough with the comparisons if you bring up Aaron Donald the snobs start having a meltdown “ugh wha—you’re saying Quinnen Williams is Aaron Donald how dare you?”

Why can’t it just be Quinnen Williams is going to be really good?

16 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

1. Matt Barkley scores on our defense at will 

2. The only offensive player in this draft worth a top 10 pick is Metcalf

16 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

But we can say that we invested in offense via free agency in a pretty big way, and so we can use the draft for defense especially when defensive players are bpa this year 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

But we can say that we invested in offense via free agency in a pretty big way, and so we can use the draft for defense especially when defensive players are bpa this year 

Let’s see we signed a $50 million superstar running back, upgraded at Left Guard, upgraded at slot receiver

Yea so neglected 

On 4/22/2019 at 12:41 PM, bitonti said:

I have not studied the draft as much this year as in year's past. My main focus is the Jets pick at 3

Fit is not included in the evaluation of the prospect. Any prospect worth the 1.3 pick should fit any defense. The DC should make looks up just for that player. 

As for Oliver I'm primarily concerned about getting to Tom Brady. That means inside rush. The league has changed the rules every year now it's all about offense and getting the ball out quick. Josh Allen will get sacks against rookies and losers who hold the ball forever. The Jets need clutch sacks against great QBs to have any shot. 

I'm not bothered between Williams or Oliver whoever falls is fine. I see those 2 on a tier higher than Allen and even Bosa to a certain extent. You can move Oliver outside you can't really rush Bosa or Allen up the middle  

as for Josh Allen he seems one dimensional. Reminds me of Bobby McCray or Andre Branch.

or Lawrence Taylor.....

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2019 at 2:48 PM, T0mShane said:

The Draft Bro Community is now very high on Ya Sin, who dropped a 7.31 three-cone. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

There he is. At 25, ahead of Williams and Baker. He wasn't there a minute ago but now he is. This to me is the really interesting week-of stuff. The guys who just pop up in the first round as though they had always been there.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Watching the tsn mock draft and of course they pick Quinnen Williams and all the experts love and say he is the best, cleanest guy in the draft.  The exact same thing we heard about leo and we will get pretty well the same results.

I would say though if you look at that 2015 first round who would you have drafted?

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

1. Matt Barkley scores on our defense at will 

1 - Correct with Kacy (focused on Todd's buttocks) as DC - Greg Williams changes that 10x (first real DC since Rex)

2 - Trade down and add OL or take a chance on Metcalf - help Sam and I am happy

Bell was a great addition, no doubt! NY State of mind :)

we will see if Osemele is an upgrade over Carpenter (depends on health) 

takes more than a year or two to be franchise - ask chez

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

This is based on pre-this week data.

I don't think it's worth drafting offense until deep in the first round. Probably Hockenson, Taylor, JWilliams, Metcalf, Fant go because somebody has to. At least a couple of quarterbacks, I think three, but again this is just a little out of date. First and second runs on DL plus White and/or whoever.

Now you're at a point where the available OL start getting pretty interesting. Dillard, Bradbury, Lindstrom. I like them better than the WR here, A.J. Brown and Harry, and them better than Jacobs and whoever else.

Still trying to figure out where Butler fits in. Somebody had him outside the top 100 so he got processed out of the last board but people like him a lot and if absolutely forced to go offense at 3 might be my choice.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I would say though if you look at that 2015 first round who would you have drafted?

We drafted Mo wilk late in round 1, we drafted shel rich at 13 both looked like excellent players.  As you say, 'hey! there was no one else any good  than leo!"  Well this year there are edge rushers and other alternatives to a 'solid' DT.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is based on pre-this week data.

I don't think it's worth drafting offense until deep in the first round. Probably Hockenson, Taylor, JWilliams, Metcalf, Fant go because somebody has to. At least a couple of quarterbacks, I think three, but again this is just a little out of date. First and second runs on DL plus White and/or whoever.

Now you're at a point where the available OL start getting pretty interesting. Dillard, Bradbury, Lindstrom. I like them better than the WR here, A.J. Brown and Harry, and them better than Jacobs and whoever else.

Still trying to figure out where Butler fits in. Somebody had him outside the top 100 so he got processed out of the last board but people like him a lot and if absolutely forced to go offense at 3 might be my choice.

If that Clowney possibility is real, it would set up perfectly for us

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Watching the tsn mock draft and of course they pick Quinnen Williams and all the experts love and say he is the best, cleanest guy in the draft.  The exact same thing we heard about leo and we will get pretty well the same results.

I don't really see how he can possibly be the cleanest prospect in the draft based on one season of starting for the best side in the country. He redshirted while Oliver was making everybody say the same sh*t they're saying about Williams as a junior. He was a backup while Oliver was winning the Outland trophy.

For my money if the worst you've got on a guy is ten pounds and a coat, that's as clean as it gets.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Beerfish said:

We drafted Mo wilk late in round 1, we drafted shel rich at 13 both looked like excellent players.  As you say, 'hey! there was no one else any good  than leo!"  Well this year there are edge rushers and other alternatives to a 'solid' DT.

The question with the pass rushers is outside of Bosa, is there one that is worthy of being a top 3 pick? Allen was thought to be, but people have soured on him.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The question with the pass rushers is outside of Bosa, is there one that is worthy of being a top 3 pick? Allen was thought to be, but people have soured on him.

That's real. Even money he goes behind at least one of Burns and Sweat. Things are definitely trending toward a big three with Allen on the outside looking in.

4 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

That's real. Even money he goes behind at least one of Burns and Sweat. Things are definitely trending toward a big three with Allen on the outside looking in.

And honestly I've kind of soured on him too. Looking at tape he just doesn't stand out to me. He has the numbers but he doesn't come off the screen

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And honestly I've kind of soured on him too. Looking at tape he just doesn't stand out to me. He has the numbers but he doesn't come off the screen

Allen checks all the boxes you look for in a tweener. Then you remember that the whole point of those is an allowance for the fact that there's only so many legit DE to go around. Burns plays like an end. There's more to it than just looking at his weight and chalking it.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why have they soured on him at this point? Could be bogus from teams who want him to fall....

• Upvote 1

To this point I havent been set on what I want them to do at 3. I learn heavily towards Allen but I've thought that I could probably learn to live with Williams if they went that route... 

But apparently I want Allen a lot more than I thought I did. Today I heard a few different NFL reporters project Q to the Jets and Allen falling to Giants at 6 and realize that the thought of that really pisses me off.

If Allen went 4 or 5 I might not care as much, but if the Jets take another DT and I end up watching Allen develop into the next pass rush stud for the Giants ???

Also, not for nothing but the Clark deal changes things for me. If a guy that avg 8 sacks a year, who's sack totals have declined each of the last 3 seasons goes for a 1st and 2nd and $20mil+ per year, I am definitely screaming for the Jets to take Allen on Thurs. 

I look at some of the contracts that solid but not great pass rushers got this off season and it's crazy. The inflation at the position makes it even more important to be drafting pass rushers frequently. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

And Metcalf can only run in a straight line...Jeez..3rd pick in the draft littered with mostly dice rolls...even at the very top.

Never said draft Metcalf at 3 but he’s the only offensive player worth a top 10 pick

That’s just how the cookie crumbled this year