Report: Jets and Giants Could Strike Deal if Murray Falls

40 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

6 and 17 is sort of dream scenario for Jets and they could walk away with OT and C

That would be incredible.

If we had next years QB class in this draft, I think we could’ve pulled it off. Unfortunately we don’t.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The Kyler Murray story is a perfect example of how dumb the draft process is and especially coverage of the draft process. Two months ago, it was “Kyler Murray is playing baseball,” then it was “Is Kyler Murray even a second day pick?” Then it was “Is Kyler Murray a first rounder?” Then it was “Kliff Kingsbury miiiiight draft him first overall.” And now it’s “Will a team trade three first rounders to move up for Kyler Murray???” Either Murray has the best PR group in the business or nobody in football knows anything at all. 

He has Scott Boras. There is your answer

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The Kyler Murray story is a perfect example of how dumb the draft process is and especially coverage of the draft process. Two months ago, it was “Kyler Murray is playing baseball,” then it was “Is Kyler Murray even a second day pick?” Then it was “Is Kyler Murray a first rounder?” Then it was “Kliff Kingsbury miiiiight draft him first overall.” And now it’s “Will a team trade three first rounders to move up for Kyler Murray???” Either Murray has the best PR group in the business or nobody in football knows anything at all. 

Wasn't the Baker Mayfield dialogue similar?  Murray's is more extreme, but same track.  

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

I am still dubious it plays out this way for the reason I'll state below, but if it did....having to possibly choose between 4/27 or 6/17 would be a nice problem for Macc to have.  

The reason I am nearly certain the Cards are taking Murray is if there was even a slight change they weren't how could they possibly subject Rosen, their de facto franchise QB (if they don't take Murray) to the embarrassment, uncertainty and negativity he's been subjected to.  I just don't think any team could be dumb enough to knowingly do that to their QB.  I don't think I'd have initially thought Murray made sense for them, but based on where things have gone the last month, I'll go on record that I will be gobsmacked if they pass on Murray Thursday night.

I would like for anyone point me to link that has a GM or any front office rep in the Cards org that stated emphatically that they loved Murray, forget that they would even pick him #1....it's all been rumors and nothing more.  No 3rd party sources, please!

Most likely they stay the course and pick Bosa, all the better for the Jets. 

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The idea of a trade is that it's mutually beneficial. They're in different conferences so from a competitive standpoint they're an ideal trade candidate. 

I dont think the Mets could stand someone like Murray becoming a Giant star.

19 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

I would like for anyone point me to link that has a GM or any front office rep in the Cards org that stated emphatically that they loved Murray, forget that they would even pick him #1....it's all been rumors and nothing more.  No 3rd party sources, please!

Most likely they stay the course and pick Bosa, all the better for the Jets. 

Of course it's all rumors.  That's what pre-draft is all about.  Nothing but rumors.  They very well may pick Bosa or QW, but if they do, then what was the point of all the crap they put Rosen through?  They could have just said 'Rosen is our QB' at any point but they didn't, and that's really odd for a team to do to the guy they think is their QB of the future.  It's hard enough for a young QB to have confidence and to have the confidence of his teammates.  It's going to be a lot harder this fall for Rosen after this if it was all smoke.

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think this is a thing for some fans and it's highly unlikely a thing for the people running the team. Their only concern should be building the best football team they can.

Some fans would rather take 7/37/whatever from JAX than 6/36/whatever from NYG just because....  That's cool.  As long as our GM is smarter than that.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

jets and 31 other teams could possible strike a deal at any time! jets may even strike a deal with themselves! 

be sure to credit me when tweeting this amazing news.

So Macc could wind up fleecing himself? Sadly I could see that happening.

I would happily make this deal if the Giants pay up  in a big way. 

As a gm I would NEVER be afraid of trading with a rival if I thought in the end it was going to help us more.

Fleece them and then watch 3 years from now as Kyler implodes and goes to play baseball.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i wrote yesterday, the jets would do this in a second.  mccagnan wants more picks and he would love getting an early 2nd and more.  the giants have way more to lose.  if they trade up for a small qb and he does not translate well to the nfl they are royally screwed.  and they will all be saying they should have taken darnold.

Fate favors the bold.  Don't think Gettleman cares TBH.

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

I can't see how they hired Kingsbury without discussing this exact thing.  The fact that they hired him suggests they bought in back then.

Exactly. KK hasn’t given Rosen a vote of confidence either. They’ll take Murray and trade Rosen for whatever they can get. It’s not the first time a supposedly franchise QB flopped. Couch, P Lynch etc etc etc. Cards could just accept their losses and move on. KK gushes about Murray. I don’t see them letting him slip through their fingers. 

• Sympathy 1

Trade Darnold to Oakland for all 3 1sts then draft Murray.  

.... just kidding guys.    Though, it would probably be what Darnold is worth. 

If Murray's there we gotta feel real confident that NYG, Oakland, Denver, Cincy or Washington will be calling to put together a package with at minimum a 1st, 2nd in 2019 and another 1st in 2020 which is all good.  Obviously much more if it's Denver, Cincy or Washington

Man, would love nothing more than the Jets to continue to capitalize off of the debacle that was the Giants passing on Darnold last season. This will never happen but if it does, take them for everything they're worth.

Fleece em. Three first round picks plus David Putney. Then grab Vontae Mack at 6.

I just don't understand how an organization can trade a 1,3 and a 5 to move up and pick Rosen. Only to use their #1 overall pick next year to draft Kyler Murray because the college coach they hired likes him better for his offense that never won anything. We're all talking about how NYJ needs to trade down when in reality Arizona should be selling #1. 

I look at it another way. Why fire their previous coach after 1 year, hire Kingsbury, then saddle him with a statue at QB?

Maybe Kyler Murray isn’t the right mobile QB for an NFL system. But it seems very clear Josh Rosen is decidedly NOT a good fit for Kingsbury. Maybe they should try to swing a deal for Russell Wilson.

Rosen, # 1 overall, and their 2020 first rounder for Wilson. Who says no?

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fleece em. Three first round picks plus David Putney. Then grab Vontae Mack at 6.

No Vontae went #1. Then you draft the Ray Jennings after trading the #6 for 7 and all 3 years of this teams future back and Putney you pancake eating M'fer.

Lol that movie was actually on last nite.

13 hours ago, SR24 said:

Just checked out a Cardinals forum and most people on there don't want Kyler. Can't really blame them after the draft last year

When I did my mock draft I went into every teams fan forum. I thought the Cardinals one was interesting. They had a poll up:

Murray - 49%

The Field - 51%