Favorite Jets Draft Memory

What is everyones favorite Jet related draft moment or memory?

Mine is when they took Keyshawn in 1996.  I was 12 at the time and really had started getting into mock drafts and things like that.  I remember being so incredibly excited when they picked him.  Running around the living room like a crazy person.  

A close 2nd for me was Dwayne Robertson.  I thought they got the next Warren Sapp after passing on the real one years before.  Boy I was wrong on that one

• Sympathy 1

There have been a handful of drafts where the Jets took exact guy I wanted.  Some of those worked out well, others, not so much.

D'Brick, Revis, Mo Wilk and Coples.  Wanted all of those dudes badly and was pretty ecstatic over it.  I was pretty happy about Leo as well.  I thought we got the best player in the draft.  I never expected Sam, so that was pretty awesome too.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Quite a few actually, despite the Jets' scary draft history. In the long-run, some of these might not have been the best picks.  But, at the time, I remember being excited by all of these:

• Trading down 1 spot in 1993, and getting RB Johnny Johnson from the Cards. Then using the 4th pick to take Marvin Jones, the highest rated player in the draft and the same guy we would have taken at 3. 

• Drafting Aaron Glenn in 1994 (following trading up 1 spot with the Saints....who also wanted him). Loved that pick.

• The Brick and Nick draft in 2006 - the first draft under team Tangini, who smartly used their two first rounders to shore up the OL for a decade.

• Washington picking Scherff in 2015, leaving Leonard Williams (the top rated player in the draft) for us at 6.

• Jamal Adams at 6 in 2016 - another guy who was never expected to be there at that spot.

• The Midgets picking Barkley, leaving Sam our Saviour for us at 3.

21 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What is everyones favorite Jet related draft moment or memory?

Mine is when they took Keyshawn in 1996.  I was 12 at the time and really had started getting into mock drafts and things like that.  I remember being so incredibly excited when they picked him.  Running around the living room like a crazy person.  

A close 2nd for me was Dwayne Robertson.  I thought they got the next Warren Sapp after passing on the real one years before.  Boy I was wrong on that one

I was pretty bummed about both of those picks.

I was pretty happy when they picked Darnold last year.

Was happy about Sanchez too.  Although I wasn't sure about him it seemed like we really didn't give up all that much to get him so it was worth it.

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Probably ‘06

I remember myself and a few others on JI at the time wanted to double dip on OL with Brick at #4 and Mangold at #29.

And that’s exactly what happened 

That was a good one.  I forgot about that one.  I hope we do something like that this year.

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Quite a few actually, despite the Jets' scary draft history. In the long-run, some of these might not have been the best picks.  But, at the time, I remember being excited by all of these:

• Trading down 1 spot in 1993, and getting RB Johnny Johnson from the Cards. Then using the 4th pick to take Marvin Jones, the highest rated player in the draft and the same guy we would have taken at 3. 

• Drafting Aaron Glenn in 1994 (following trading up 1 spot with the Saints....who also wanted him). Loved that pick.

• The Brick and Nick draft in 2006 - the first draft under team Tangini, who smartly used their two first rounders to shore up the OL for a decade.

• Washington picking Scherff in 2015, leaving Leonard Williams (the top rated player in the draft) for us at 6.

• Jamal Adams at 6 in 2016 - another guy who was never expected to be there at that spot.

• The Midgets picking Barkley, leaving Sam our Saviour for us at 3.

"The Midgets" - LOVE IT!!

16 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Probably ‘06

I remember myself and a few others on JI at the time wanted to double dip on OL with Brick at #4 and Mangold at #29.

I was bummed when they took Brick (I badly wanted them to pick Jay Cutler), but happy when they picked Mangold.

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The 09 draft. The trade up and watching Mark Sanchez put on a Jets hat. It was blissful.

This one was the most exciting for me. The trade up, seeing Sanchez get pumped up. Seeing that we fleeced the Browns to move up. It was all great. 

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Actually, Darnold all the way.

Can’t even believe I spaced that.

Was dreaming of him being a Jet for 2 years and then it actually happens.

The football gods finally tossed us a bone instead of kicking us square in the balls for a change.

I'm with you all the way!  "Suck for Sam" all year.  Not that I was "rooting" for them to lose, but when they did, I was ok with it because it gave us a better shot.  Assuming he would go #1 and we would most likely get Baker.  Praying that the idiots didn't take Baker at #2 and we'd be stuck with one of the Josh's.....

then...it happened....

20 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Probably ‘06

I definitely remember being on the Brick and Nick train. Loved it when that happened.

I was really excited by that draft - thought our 2nd rounder (Kellen Clemens) was going to solve our QB problem, plus loved Brad Smith and Leon Washington in the 4th. Picking Anthony Schlegel in the 3rd was a real downer though - I remember going nuts at that pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

This one was the most exciting for me. The trade up, seeing Sanchez get pumped up. Seeing that we fleeced the Browns to move up. It was all great. 

yeah I wasn't paying too much attention to that one, because I think the Jets had the #18 pick?  So I wasn't expecting a big splash.  then one of my friends calls me (it was on a Saturday afternoon back then) while I was out to tell me they moved up to get Stafford....at least that's what I THOUGHT He said....but even so, I was pretty happy with Sanchez.  and despite the butt fumble, hey he was part of two AFC Championship games.

For me it was a compilation of all those early drafts. We used to go to the Felt Forum, sometimes partying in the city all night and then going to the Garden early. We would be all decked out in our Jets gear and just have an awesome time. :sigh: The good ole days. I remember all the screw ups fondly and all the great picks just as fondly. Times are different now and I am fortunate to have those memories. I feel sorry a lot of guys won't experience those special things that we all took for granted back then. Anyway that's what I remember and miss. The experiences are what matter. Cherish those and get out there. You never know when it will be gone or pass you by.

1 minute ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Marvin jones 

not exactly sure why

my age, how into football I was at the time, etc

Johhny Mitchell and then the following year Jones are the first time I can remember watching the draft with my Dad and older brother.  I remember them both talking how good Jones was.  Not so much on Mitchell.  I remember them being jazzed for the Bears picking Alonzo Spielman not far after the Jets picked Mitchell.

It's funny I can remember these things but something from last week completely escapes me

39 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The 09 draft. The trade up and watching Mark Sanchez put on a Jets hat. It was blissful.

Yeah since they are draft memories there was just something special about drafting Sanchez. The surprise trade up. The fact that we gave up almost nothing to trade up. The video of Sanchez hearing the news and all the excitement he showed. Then him flying out right away and being interviewed at the actual draft anyway. It was awesome

Second is Darnold. I never thought all the way up to the day of the draft that there was any possibility that we could get him. Then there were those very late rumors of Cleveland taking Mayfield (who I was sure was the Jets pick) which I didn't totally believe. Even then the rumor was Giants would take Darnold if there. So I spent all day researching Darnold, realized he was definitely the best QB in draft and started to get excited. Then when Goddell announced Barkley it was pretty exciting, coupled with a slight fear that Coffee would choose Allen but they didnt. Awesome moment.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah since they are draft memories there was just something special about drafting Sanchez. The surprise trade up. The fact that we gave up almost nothing to trade up. The video of Sanchez hearing the news and all the excitement he showed. Then him flying out right away and being interviewed at the actual draft anyway. It was awesome

Second is Darnold. I never thought all the way up to the day of the draft that there was any possibility that we could get him. Then there were those very late rumors of Cleveland taking Mayfield (who I was sure was the Jets pick) which I didn't totally believe. Even then the rumor was Giants would take Darnold if there. So I spent all day researching Darnold, realized he was definitely the best QB in draft and started to get excited. Then when Goddell announced Barkley it was pretty exciting, coupled with a slight fear that Coffee would choose Allen but they didnt. Awesome moment.

me too, but admit it:  when the idiots took Barkley, wasn't there a SMALL part of you that was like: "come on JETS he's there - DON'T SCREW THIS UP!!!"  I know I was thinking that!!  it's crazy - you see him not taken at #1, not taken at #2 - should be a slam dunk right?  nope, not with this team!  hopefully this is a sign for things to come!

now if Bosa is there at #3 this year and they trade back......

1 minute ago, Legend Killa7 said:

me too, but admit it:  when the idiots took Barkley, wasn't there a SMALL part of you that was like: "come on JETS he's there - DON'T SCREW THIS UP!!!"  I know I was thinking that!!  it's crazy - you see him not taken at #1, not taken at #2 - should be a slam dunk right?  nope, not with this team!  hopefully this is a sign for things to come!

now if Bosa is there at #3 this year and they trade back......

Oh it was definitely a fear the Jets wouldn't have selected him, bu t thankfully for only a couple minutes

• Upvote 1

Since I started (really) paying attention in 2000-ish I can't think of a single draft that i have a good memory of... The closest, painfully enough, was Coples - who i thought had all the talent in the world. Didn't foresee the calamity of misuse. 

• I'd be lying if I didn't admit last year I had my heart set on Mayfield. I was sure he was our guy. Darnold was a consolation prize at the time.
  • Hated the Sanchez pick when it happened.
  • Was furious we took another 4-3 DT in Leonard over Todd Gurley when our RB was Matt Forte. Inexcusable.
  • 2014 felt like a greek tragedy
  • Cam Heyward >>> Mo Wilk
  • 2001 (Moss & Jordan) and 2004 (Vilma) were drafts i felt good about, but I don't remember being giddy and going to bed excited

The darnold scenario from the big trade up to the Browns and Giants picking Mayfield and barkley so we could grab Sam was just unreal. I believe that will go down as one of the greatest draft scenarios in Jets franchise history years from now.

But my favorite memory of the draft other than last year has to be the trade with the cardinals to grab Marvin Jones.
Making them believe we were going to take garrison hurst unless we could get Jonny Johnson was unreal. We were always taking Marvin Jones and that was just awesome to see us pull that off.

The back page on the post the next day had a picture of jones with a Jets hat on with the line “THE STEALERS”. Or something like that. Great trade. (We also took Coleman Rudolph 4 picks before Michael Strahan lol)

Interestingly that was also the first year of FA in the NFL.
We got Ronnie Lott, boomer Esiason and Leonard Marshall among others.
That was an exciting offseason man!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app