Pauline: Jets would consider trading Anderson if they can get 3rd rounder

Just now, MDL_JET said:

http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-notes-tuesday-april-24

Where does that leave the New York Jets?

As previously reported, I continue to hear the Jets are doing all they can to move down from the 3rd selection.  In fact one person told me the Jets are “desperate to move down,” and they feel no one available at the third slot is a player they really need.  Last week I reported that except for Nick Bosa, the Jets are not enamored with any of the pass rushers who may be available to them early in round one.

The team is in need of extra picks in the top 100, owning the third pick of the draft as well as two choices in round three, selections 68 and 93.

The Jets have already started recruiting players who may slip through the seven rounds of the draft and they can sign as undrafted free agents. 

I’m also told the Jets will consider trading receiver Robby Anderson if they are able to get solid (3rd round) compensation in return. 

Anderson, an undrafted free agent, has been terrific addition on the field for the Jets yet has caused some headaches as well. He was tendered by the team in February and is slated to become a free agent after the season.

I really don't understand why they would trade him. Just seems like a dumb move for a 3rd round pick. 

The only way that makes sense is if we trade down from 3, accumulate picks and snag one of the top WRs in the 1st/2nd. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Just seems stupid to ship off one of our better WRs before we see what he can do in Sams 2nd year and under Gase. 

I don't want to trade him, but if they love a guy in the draft that can replace Anderson and is under contract for a longer time, I guess it's an ok move. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-notes-tuesday-april-24

Where does that leave the New York Jets?

As previously reported, I continue to hear the Jets are doing all they can to move down from the 3rd selection.  In fact one person told me the Jets are “desperate to move down,” and they feel no one available at the third slot is a player they really need.  Last week I reported that except for Nick Bosa, the Jets are not enamored with any of the pass rushers who may be available to them early in round one.

The team is in need of extra picks in the top 100, owning the third pick of the draft as well as two choices in round three, selections 68 and 93.

The Jets have already started recruiting players who may slip through the seven rounds of the draft and they can sign as undrafted free agents. 

I’m also told the Jets will consider trading receiver Robby Anderson if they are able to get solid (3rd round) compensation in return. 

Anderson, an undrafted free agent, has been terrific addition on the field for the Jets yet has caused some headaches as well. He was tendered by the team in February and is slated to become a free agent after the season.

I really don't understand why they would trade him. Just seems like a dumb move for a 3rd round pick. 

Bc they don't want to extend him and pay him $12+ million/year. I've been saying it all off-season

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The only way it makes any sense is if the team feels anderson is a bad seed and will be a negative for the QB. Otherwise makes no sense.  Trading Lee makes sense.  Maybe even Leo if they draft a DT but not Anderson and not for a 3rd.

It would also make sense if they have no intention of re-signing him. He’s a UFA in the offseason and they just gave Q and Crowder decent deals. Anderson is one of the lone successes in Macc’s storied career. I can’t see him shipping him off to just draft another WR. But then again, there really isn’t any semblance of a plan either. 

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Anderson would only have a small role in a Gase offense bc he can't play slot. Crowder & Enunwa are much more important to what Gase expects from his WR's. People want to discount Gase's entire offensive strategy with the Dolphins but they shouldn't. His offense runs through the slot.

The Jets are being smart. If a player is on the last year of his deal and he's not in their future plans they should get an asset for him before they lose him for nothing. (Anderson, Lee, Leo?)

Someone still has to run the deep routes to keep defenses honest

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Would be pretty idiotic, IMO. I like Anderson more than most but given Mac's track record of drafting WRs in the first three rounds (it's pitiful) I just don't understand why you move Anderson... I guess the answer would be you aren't committing to him next year and want to get comp for him but Darnold's development is crucial this year. Can't fathom why you'd want to remove weapons he's comfortable with.

• Upvote 1