Ed Oliver to Jets talk is a smokescreen

Rhg1084

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This sounds the most Maccagnan. Where the hell is Williams going to play? They moving Leo?

Word lol, let me tease the better player but if no one bites grab the guy that Mel Kiper will tell the fans was a great pick 

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He’s much better than Leo. Like not close. Leo had no business going top 6. But just drafting Leo’s replacement 3rd overall is blah. 

Yeah v.2 implied an upgrade 

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

According to Peter Schaeger. Jets will select Williams 

I think the 49ers take williams.  They didnt pick up 5th yr option on Buckner, so i dont think they want to pay him.  They take williams and maybe trade Buckner, leaving Jets to choose Allen or Bosa.

34 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

So what happens when the draft falls 1. Bosa, 2. Q Williams?

Macc will try to draft him anyway. 

When men in suits insist he can’t do that, smoke will sneak out of his ears and a frayed wires will splinter out from behind his neck 

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

"With the 3rd pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, The New York Jets select, Montez Sweat, OLB, Miss. St.

Montez Sweat. Going to drop because of medical issues( no team taking him in top five probably top 10.    If he makes it to 24 , he will be a Raider. 

If Bosa goes number 1 Josh Allen will go two. Now what do the Jets do. q Williams .

3 hours ago, morny said:

The Oliver thing is clearly a smokescreen - under Mac we're very, very good at keeping a lid on leaks. Seems bizarre that suddenly everyone knows we love Oliver, unless we're trying to play it like that. 

You could argue that they did the same thing with Mayfield last year. Everyone had Mayfield going to the Jets and Darnold going to the Browns. Worked out pretty well for us in the end.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/23/why-quinnen-williams-would-be-perfect-pick-for-jets-on-nfl-draft-night/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=twitter_app

Former NFL scout and current Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy cast his vote Tuesday for Q. Williams on WNSP radio in Alabama:

“He has a really hard skill set to find. I think Josh Allen from Kentucky is the best edge rusher, but it’s a lot harder to find guys on the interior defensive line who can put pressure on the passer.

“What Quinnen did last year as a first-year starter with Alabama was awesome. I think he’s just scratching the surface. He’s really a hard guy to block. He’s so powerful. He’s so slippery. Usually guys are one or the other, but he’s kind of both.”

If the 49ers surprise and opt for Williams, even though they are already loaded on the interior, Bosa would be Next Best Player.

Don’t get hung up on G. Williams’ 3-4, either.

“There’s a lot of different things we’re gonna do from a defensive-front standpoint that it may not be a traditional 3-4, Bill Parcells-just-line-up-in-the-old-school 3-4. There’s lots of different types of 3-4,” Maccagnan said. “Heck, we play 60-some percent nickel and dime packages now anyway it seems like, so we usually play with an even front.”

Imagine if George Young had decided against drafting Lawrence Taylor in 1981 because he already had Harry Carson, Brad Van Pelt, Brian Kelley and Dan Lloyd. Young took outside linebacker Carl Banks with the third-overall pick in 1984 at a time when the Giants needed offensive line help — which he secured late in the first round with William Roberts.

Ernie Accorsi made defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka the 32nd and last pick of the 2006 first round at a time when Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck populated the defensive line. Dave Gettleman drafted defensive tackle Kawann Short in the second round in Carolina after selecting Star Lotulelei in the first round in 2013.

Nagy believes in taking the best player.

“I’ve been a part of too many teams where we drafted for need and we’ve swung and missed,” he said.

image.gif

Seems the media wants us to go Williams

2 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

If they draft Q Williams at 3, where exactly is he playing?  Are we going  to a 4-3 with him? Who plays where? Or 3-4 and Leo is gone?  Or Anderson becomes an expensive rotation guy?  Love to know what u guys think

We're not drafting him. I'm not saying he's not going to be a good player. the fact is, nobody knew who he was a year ago

There’s a reason the Jets want to trade out of 3.

It’s a pass rushing league and their #1 need is a pass rusher.

I believe when all is said and done:

Bosa + Allen go 1+2...

The Jets are throwing Oliver out there in the hopes that some team moves up and one of these two pass rushers falls to them...

Drafting either Williams or Oliver does not move the needle when you already have Leonard Williams and Henry Anderson... 

The Jets need to draft an pass rusher, OT or CB period...

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Is Schrager the poorly dressed guy that does the goofy sh*t on that NFLN morning show?

Yup, who has no ties to anyone in the NFL or any insight to any of this.  I'd bet he said in his opinion.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yup, who has no ties to anyone in the NFL or any insight to any of this.  I'd bet he said in his opinion.

In everyone's opinion. It's the pussy pick. Maccagnan makes the pussy pick. This is not good but nor is it bad. One entirely valid approach to the draft is mitigating risk everywhere you possibly can, and not straying too far from the wisdom of crowds is a part of that. Of course this is not his actual philosophy outside of the first round so it shouldn't be the guiding consideration there either.

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

In everyone's opinion. It's the pussy pick. Maccagnan makes the pussy pick. This is not good but nor is it bad. One entirely valid approach to the draft is mitigating risk everywhere you possibly can, and not straying too far from the wisdom of crowds is a part of that. Of course this is not his actual philosophy outside of the first round so it shouldn't be the guiding consideration there either.

Looking at the general reaction on Twitter (for what that means) I would say 70-30 in favor of the "pussy" pick

28 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

https://nypost.com/2019/04/23/why-quinnen-williams-would-be-perfect-pick-for-jets-on-nfl-draft-night/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=twitter_app

Former NFL scout and current Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy cast his vote Tuesday for Q. Williams on WNSP radio in Alabama:

“He has a really hard skill set to find. I think Josh Allen from Kentucky is the best edge rusher, but it’s a lot harder to find guys on the interior defensive line who can put pressure on the passer.

“What Quinnen did last year as a first-year starter with Alabama was awesome. I think he’s just scratching the surface. He’s really a hard guy to block. He’s so powerful. He’s so slippery. Usually guys are one or the other, but he’s kind of both.”

If the 49ers surprise and opt for Williams, even though they are already loaded on the interior, Bosa would be Next Best Player.

Don’t get hung up on G. Williams’ 3-4, either.

“There’s a lot of different things we’re gonna do from a defensive-front standpoint that it may not be a traditional 3-4, Bill Parcells-just-line-up-in-the-old-school 3-4. There’s lots of different types of 3-4,” Maccagnan said. “Heck, we play 60-some percent nickel and dime packages now anyway it seems like, so we usually play with an even front.”

Imagine if George Young had decided against drafting Lawrence Taylor in 1981 because he already had Harry Carson, Brad Van Pelt, Brian Kelley and Dan Lloyd. Young took outside linebacker Carl Banks with the third-overall pick in 1984 at a time when the Giants needed offensive line help — which he secured late in the first round with William Roberts.

Ernie Accorsi made defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka the 32nd and last pick of the 2006 first round at a time when Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck populated the defensive line. Dave Gettleman drafted defensive tackle Kawann Short in the second round in Carolina after selecting Star Lotulelei in the first round in 2013.

Nagy believes in taking the best player.

“I’ve been a part of too many teams where we drafted for need and we’ve swung and missed,” he said.

image.gif

Seems the media wants us to go Williams

the media always thinks taking a big DT is a genius move. they called the marcel dareus and nick fairley picks brilliant too

3 hours ago, J_Smith said:

What if this smokescreen is all part of a much larger smokescreen? One made up of lots of smoke and maybe some screens?

none of these people have any goddamn clue

Jets don’t do screens 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

From reading all the insider reports I'm convinced we're either taking Williams or Oliver or Allen unless bosa falls then we take him or we're trading back. 

Macc working overtime spreading misinformation.

Well that narrows it down 

Archived