Draft Trade Rumors

Report: Redskins, Jets have had ‘early talks’ on trade for No. 3 pick

The Washington Redskins are one of the teams that might trade up on draft night. Reportedly, they have spoken with the New York Jets ahead of the 2019 NFL Draft.

Nobody knows what’s going to happen in the 2019 NFL Draft. At the moment, it seems to be very unpredictable, including the Arizona Cardinals’ No. 1 pick. Until we have a good idea of what’s going to happen at the top of the draft, it’s going to be difficult to project just who the Washington Redskins are going to pick.

Of course, the Redskins are also in control of their own destiny, and at the moment, it seems well within the realm of possibility that they could trade up. If they have a particular quarterback in mind, they may want to move up just to ensure that no other team snags him before the 15th pick.

While Doug Williams recently claimed it was more likely that the Redskins would trade down than up, there have been rumblings about the ‘Skins moving up. And most recently, Connor Hughes of The Athletic reported that the Redskins are talking to the New York Jets about the No. 3 pick.

Of course, this is just a rumor. But, if there is a quarterback the ‘Skins really want, moving up that far could be exactly what they’re looking to do.

I recently identified the Jets as one of the top three teams that Washington could explore trading up with. But it will be predicated by one thing: whether or not Kyler Murray is on the board. Here’s what I said about that possibility in a recent piece.

But, in any case, the Cardinals may end up passing on Murray at No. 1 overall. If that happens, Josh Rosen would be off the table, and that would eliminate the possibility of the team trading a second-round pick for him. Additionally, it could cause Murray to slip — provided that another team doesn’t trade up to the top spot to get him.

If the Raiders don’t move up to the No. 1 pick, it would open up a chance for a team like the Redskins to leapfrog them at No. 3. The Jets need a second-round pick after trading theirs in last year’s Sam Darnold trade. So, that could motivate them to move down while still targeting pass-rushing help or offensive line help in the middle of the first round. The Redskins could swing a deal there, and that could be a way for them to land Murray.

Unless the Raiders surprise and want to draft Dwayne Haskins with the fourth pick, there wouldn’t be much reason for the Redskins to trade up to the third spot, unless they had a chance to get Murray, who many view as the top passer in this draft class. Also, it’s notable that this is smokescreen season, so it will be tough to know if this rumor has legs or the Jets are just trying to drum up business for the No. 3 pick.

2 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

To move down from 3 to 15 would require the skins to pay something along the lines of what they have the Rams to trade up for Griffin. If they're moving that high, odds are they want a quarterback. Make them bleed for it.

Absolutely. 1st and 2nd rounders and more plus the roads cleared all the way to the airport and a pilot on standby for a destination will do.

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

lol. Wishful thinking for the macc haters. Everyone keeps saying this but where is any indicator that macc is a lame duck. It’s just not there outside of The message boards world. At least I haven’t seen anything real. Let’s say that.

I would say it’s much more likely that C.J. would be inclined to allow macc a few years with Gase and co to build around darnold. Why does it make smart business sense to retain macc through the Bowles firing, partner with him to pick a New HC, essentially allow him to force Gregg Williams on said new HC, spend hundreds of millions on FA’s of his choosing, allow him to play trade games with the #3 pick and then fire him? does this really sound realistic to anyone?

Not liking macc is fine and understandable but he’s here for a few more years outside of bell, Mosley, crowder, Poole and Montgomery deciding to sit on the bench and smoke cigars during games. We should just get used to this idea already.

Macc will take future picks in a compensation package for #3. No doubt in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Jets are going to be a Wildcard playoff team this year, led there by Sam Darnold who will show that outside of KC he’s the close to being the best young QB in the league.  He already gave the league a little look being the best rated QB the last quarter of his rookie year.  Gase and Williams only have to be “middle of the pack good” to help get them there.  I say that because the Jets for all intents and purposes were an 8 Win team last year if they didn’t have the Worst HC in the league, the Worst DC in the league, the Worst OC in the league....Darnold survived that with flying colors.

And whether you like it or not that means Mike Maccagnan is going nowhere.  In fact I think he’ll be the GM for the next decade because of what Sam Darnold will do.

As the saying goes “I’d rather be lucky than good”.  Maccagnan owes Gettleman of the Giants many gifts every year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I’m happy to actually see any report mentioning this.

This would delight me if the haul is serviceable. Let’s say this years 2nd with next years 1st. Then we can safely draft Jonah Williams (still Paul Alexander’s safest OT pick) or garret Bradbury without anyone crying.

Sorry. Can’t paste article. Heres the linkypoo

https://riggosrag.com/2019/04/23/report-redskins-jets-early-talks-trade-no-3-pick/

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Much rather draft Bradbury.  

I heard an analysis of Jonah Williams and the take was that he’s Overrated...Explosion and Flexibility just not where they should be for someone considered at that level....if so, definite pass.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

1. i hate going down to 15

2. i feel like if we do, we are going to get screwed

You’re absolutely right.

Think how difficult it is for even the best GM to score any type of “difference maker” at 15, then understand who our guy is who will be making that pick.   But I’d be cool with the C Bradbury there, because I think the more protection Sammy gets the more of a lock he is to put up 30+ points a game which will make hitting on that long shot Edge Rusher not as consequencial, which is why I’d do it...but many more picks have to come with 15.

It will have to be just a monster haul for it to be worth it for the Jets.

I want “RG 3 trade type compensation” (which is a long shot in this draft) from the Redskins (who you know are doing it for a QB, if they do it)...or take a walk.

The ONLY thing that concerns me is will our incompetent GM utilize those picks correctly? Will he finally start hitting on his draft choices and make this team a contender? Up to now, he's done nothing to indicate he has the foggiest idea what he's doing.

• Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, Joe the Breadman said:

X1000.....and if this rumor is indeed true why not just stand pat at 3 and take a much cheaper and younger Josh Allen?

I think it's more about filling 3 needs while getting rid of a player we don't want.

Edge - Clowney

#23 - Center - Bradbury

#54/#55 - BPA 

My thought process aligns with yours though, if you want to make a move for Clowney just take the cheap edge at 3

5 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I'd be fine picking in the teens. 15 to 3 is a big jump We would be gettin an absolute haul. At the very least we would get 2 1sts and 2 2nds, probably more than that. 

You have to assume if redskins are trading up it's for a qb. Macc can make them pay. Seems like They want to get ahead of the giants. 

Edit to add. Seems like giants redskins and raiders all have interest to move up in the draft. If Murray falls to us there could be a huge bidding war over our pick

If the Raiders offer #4 and either of their other first round picks then I think I make that move.would allow us to still get one of the top 3 defensive guys and likely pick up Bradbury at the end of round 1.

• Upvote 1

Moving back to 15 is the sweet spot in this deep draft because of the Jets needs. Look at any mock draft & take a look at the players from 15-20. 

The Jets can take the best Center, LT or Guard available (Time to replace Winters too). Or they could go Best WR (Marquis Brown?) TE (Fant?), maybe an edge falls (Burns?), you just never know in the draft. 

But it's in the 2nd & 3rd rounds where they could really make hay mining for offensive playmakers. WR, RB (need to replace the average McGuire), this is the meat of the draft to surround Sam with Olineman & playmakers. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I remember back when Mangini took over, he drafted Ferguson and Mangold, both in the 1st round. 

We need to build our line. Trade back, acquire as many picks as possible this year and next, and draft a center or LT! 

With the addition of Crowder & if Quincy stays healthy, Bell & Montgomery out of the backfield, Anderson in a contract year, Herndon in his 2nd year, if we protect Sam, he should be able to tear defenses apart. It's imperative to give Pollack the players to build a wall for Darnold. 

• Upvote 3

I'm psyched for the draft like everyone else but you just know it's going to be anticlimactic. After all the speculation they will probably stay at 3 and make the safe safe pick(Q?). Hopefully they can trade out but I'm thinking that's the way it's going to be.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Good place to put this rumor: 

Jets have received a trade Offer from the Houston Texans that would bring Jadeveon Clowney and the 23rd pick to New York, for the #3rd pick. Another scenario involves Darron Lee in the deal and they would offer a 2nd round pick as well. 

I can see MM making this deal. 

8 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I'm with you. I don't want us going any lower than 8.

Redskins can give s enough where we could conceivably trade right back into top 10.

I feel like Haskins is being slow-played by all the QB needy teams. Not much hype at all.

If skins make move for QB, then we get a haul (in theory). There are good players in the middle of the first, but the 2nd is really strong this year. 

51 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I'm psyched for the draft like everyone else but you just know it's going to be anticlimactic. After all the speculation they will probably stay at 3 and make the safe safe pick(Q?). Hopefully they can trade out but I'm thinking that's the way it's going to be.

Always.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Risner, Hockenson, Bradbury, or Dillard (maybe Williams falls?) at #15 and WR or more OL in the 2nd helps Sam = fired up

I’m not saying there’s not talent to be had.  I’m saying don’t take a center at 15.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Are people really getting fired up for trading down for a center?

Well not just a Center but you know the deal. This year a 2nd is so important because that's where the meat of the talent is IMO. Plus the important positions are not the most sexy ones. Sure EDGE is important no doubt but if you can't move the ball you can't win in this League. We as Jet Fans know that so well.