Draft Trade Rumors

15 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Good place to put this rumor: 

Jets have received a trade Offer from the Houston Texans that would bring Jadeveon Clowney and the 23rd pick to New York, for the #3rd pick. Another scenario involves Darron Lee in the deal and they would offer a 2nd round pick as well. 

The Texans will "give "us Clowney to go from 23 to 3  so they can draft a guy better than him? Hard pass. They want Lee? Do second part of this scenario.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

The Texans will "give "us Clowney to go from 23 to 3  so they can draft a guy better than him? Hard pass. They want Lee? Do second part of this scenario.

Lee for Clowney would be interesting - fresh start for both players

Lee still has a rookie year left on contract, Clowney is on the tag

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Washington's first, second, third, and next year's first is pretty close to the classic chart's value of the trade. If they're taking less than that, then I'd hope it would just be a lower valued pick than that third rounder. Like a fourth this year or a third next year. Trading from #3 to #15 is a big drop and needs to be compensated properly. 

Plus it's Washington. Overpaying is what they do

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Washington's first, second, third, and next year's first is pretty close to the classic chart's value of the trade. If they're taking less than that, then I'd hope it would just be a lower valued pick than that third rounder. Like a fourth this year or a third next year. Trading from #3 to #15 is a big drop and needs to be compensated properly. 

Thats never going to happen in this weak draft. The value chart is bogus! Where are the cant miss qb prospects that washington is trying to get? oh i see, they dont exist.

This is not like last year where darnold/rosen/mayfield were there. HUGE DIFFERENCE PEOPLE GET OFF THE CRACK PIPE 

• Upvote 3

Just now, HighPitch said:

Thats never going to happen in this weak draft. The value chart is bogus! Where are the cant miss qb prospects that washington is trying to get? oh i see, they dont exist.

This is not like last year where darnold/rosen/mayfield were there. HUGE DIFFERENCE PEOPLE GET OFF THE CRACK PIPE 

This is Dan Snyder we're talking about here. Remember that

18 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well not just a Center but you know the deal. This year a 2nd is so important because that's where the meat of the talent is IMO. Plus the important positions are not the most sexy ones. Sure EDGE is important no doubt but if you can't move the ball you can't win in this League. We as Jet Fans know that so well.

I'm not opposed to trading down.  I'm opposed to trading down and taking a center in the 1st round.  I've said before, I have no interest in having the best center in the NFL.  Invest elsewhere.  Center is a place where we will be more than fine just being okay.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

It’s all relative. They can only pick the players on the board. Between the hype machine and the “ need” for QBs one or two are over valued every year. By how much? Yet to be seen, but it always happens 

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

The Jets overpaid last year by a second round pick. I'm suggesting less than the chart, already. Nothing crazy, perfectly fair. If you're talking less than that, you shouldn't trade. Take the guy you like best at #3 and don't look back. 

And I think this rumor is based on the possibility that the Cards don't take Murray. Don't think it's happening if Murray goes #1. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Cimini just tweeted a new draft notes where he says a trade seems unlikely.  Based on the info in the media, I tend to agree.  I just don't see who will be wanting to move up.

Cimini is not a guy who comes up with scoops or has inside information.  I think he knows pretty much what we know, which is pretty much nothing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

Cimini is not a guy who comes up with scoops or has inside information.  I think he knows pretty much what we know, which is pretty much nothing.

Hey, don't sell us short.? I love the next 36 hours , or so. Guys throw so much poop at the walls, hoping that something sticks, so they look like some sort of a savant.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'm not opposed to trading down.  I'm opposed to trading down and taking a center in the 1st round.  I've said before, I have no interest in having the best center in the NFL.  Invest elsewhere.  Center is a place where we will be more than fine just being okay.

Well I disagree. The foundation of the Offense is the OL. Playoff teams protect the QB and give him time to throw. I don't care how good your D is if you protect your QB and give him time to throw he will make completions and move the chains. 

"Just being okay" is what got us here in the first place. Don't get me wrong I would love to make the sexy pick in the 1st as well but Macc's downright neglect when it came to drafting depth at the OL position has led us here. It boggles the mind how the man still has a job when you look at it from that standpoint. The point of attack is the OL. You want above average guys at the least there. "Just being okay" gives an offense that is just that. You need to score points to win in this League. Just being okay isn't getting you there.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Not at all sexy but we need OL.  The last time we had a decent team it was because we drafted two offensive lineman in the first round.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Is it wrong that the primary reason I don't want the Jets to trade the pick is that if they pick at 3, I can be in bed by 9?

LOL. Nice. I could do without all the commentary and Bullsh*t as well. Here's an idea: Let the teams all make their picks beforehand and have some guy just read them off. After that then let them go over each pick and analyze them Ad nauseam to their hearts content. The Gist is all I need. I can figure out the rest for myself.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well I disagree. The foundation of the Offense is the OL. Playoff teams protect the QB and give him time to throw. I don't care how good your D is if you protect your QB and give him time to throw he will make completions and move the chains. 

"Just being okay" is what got us here in the first place. Don't get me wrong I would love to make the sexy pick in the 1st as well but Macc's downright neglect when it came to drafting depth at the OL position has led us here. It boggles the mind how the man still has a job when you look at it from that standpoint. The point of attack is the OL. You want above average guys at the least there. "Just being okay" gives an offense that is just that. You need to score points to win in this League. Just being okay isn't getting you there.

Absolutely. Saw another mock on ESPN last night, with the "beat " reporters for each team making the pick. Bradbury and McCoy went in the first, to Minny and Ravens, and Lindsrom went in first also, can't remember to whom. Also, 3 or 4 of the tackles went. I read or heard something in the last day or so where somebody said that Bradbury and Lindstrom are the best O lineman in the draft, all included. Who knows?

6 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

LOL. Nice. I could do without all the commentary and Bullsh*t as well. Here's an idea: Let the teams all make their picks beforehand and have some guy just read them off. After that then let them go over each pick and analyze them Ad nauseam to their hearts content. The Gist is all I need. I can figure out the rest for myself.

Exactly, who the hell needs all this other mishegas?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Lee for Clowney would be interesting - fresh start for both players

Lee still has a rookie year left on contract, Clowney is on the tag

You think Lee for Clowney is interesting? This is a joke, right? Although I am not a big fan of Clowney, these two players should not be compared. They will laugh at us if we offered something like that. 

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Absolutely. Saw another mock on ESPN last night, with the "beat " reporters for each team making the pick. Bradbury and McCoy went in the first, to Minny and Ravens, and Lindsrom went in first also, can't remember to whom. Also, 3 or 4 of the tackles went. I read or heard something in the last day or so where somebody said that Bradbury and Lindstrom are the best O lineman in the draft, all included. Who knows?

I saw that too. I don't believe there will be the top quality OL available in the 3rd like everyone believes. Even posters on this site devalue the OL for the sexy positions like EDGE but if you can't hold the line of scrimmage you can't move the ball. You can't move the ball you can't win. Its that simple. Having a great OL wears down the other teams D and by the 4th qtr you're all over them. Of course this is football 101. Its frustrating to have to explain it to guys who should already know it. You know LIKE THE GM.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Having a good offensive line and drafting a center in round one are not mutually exclusive.

There is also room in-between Macc's neglect of the offensive line, and drafting a center in the 1st round.

"Just being okay" isn't what got us here.  We had a center who couldn't actually snap the ball.  Since Mangold retired, we made zero investment in the position.  I'm not suggesting doing that.  That's a bad idea.  I'm suggesting that in the 1st round, use your resources better.

As for needing to score points.  The Kansas City Chiefs scored the most PPG in the NFL.  Their center was drafted in the mid-2nd round, and has made 0 Pro Bowls.  The Los Angeles Rams scored the 2nd most PPG in the NFL.  Their center was drafted in the 4th round and has made 0 Pro Bowls.  So, obviously you can get by without top-end center play.  Meanwhile, our New York Jets had like 2 decades worth of "best center in the league" with Mawae and Mangold, and guess what, never a top offense.

I'd love to have a great player at every position.  That'd be fun, and we'd probably win a lot of games.  But, you only get so many draft picks, and so much cap space, and center is undoubtedly a position where you can find quality in later rounds, and get by with adequate play.  This really isn't any different than the reason you don't draft a SS at 6.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Not at all sexy but we need OL.  The last time we had a decent team it was because we drafted two offensive lineman in the first round.

And, we traded away an elite pass rusher to do so.  Something the team has never really recovered from.  I love Mangold, everyone loves Mangold.  Trading Abraham for Mangold was a huge mistake.

Again, not drafting a center in the 1st round is not the same thing as not drafting an offensive lineman is not the same thing as not drafting a center anywhere in the draft.  This really shouldn't be hard to grasp.

38 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I am not saying I think it because Cimini said it.  I just don't see the logistics being there.  Regardless of what Cimini thinks.  

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think Washington would pay that. They have two 3rds this year. I think that makes the price more tolerable.

If I were in Mac’s position, I would even Washington’s 2019 1, both of their 3’s and next years 1...if they didn’t want to let go of their 2nd.

16 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The basic offer I would accept from Washington is their 2019 1 &2 and their 2020 1

Looking back at past drafts will tell you that this trade pays off. 

All you have to do is realize that the draft evaluations are severely flawed. The top 40 players or so are very similar in potential. 

That's basically 2 1/2 lottery tickets for 1. 

GMs or internet GMs only devalue that deal because of their egos. They must believe that their scouts are better than they have been historically.