5 year anniversary of the Idzik 12

26 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

That said I think a monkey could have done a better job than Idzik. 

Go do it. Pull up the 2012 draft and tell us which players were available when Idzik picked that he should have taken instead at those slots. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I will admit that I am not an NFL scout and have been wrong far more than I have been right with regards to NFL draft prospects.

Not sure what was more egrigious-actually drafting 12 players (knowing there was zero chance all of them could make the roster) or not taking a WR (huge need at the time) until the fourth round in one of the best WR draft classes in recent history. 

Good job getting egrigious into your post.  one of my favorite words.  got to start using it more.  Just so dang hard to spell

Getting back to the content of your post, I agree.   Idzik's big draft, may have been one of the worst in Jets history.  Complicating matters is that Macc has been meh at best.  Which is kind of surprising to me.  Macc has a great history as a personnel guy.  

Here's hoping he hits a grand slam in this year's draft, the Jets really need it

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Good job getting egrigious into your post.  one of my favorite words.  got to start using it more.  Just so dang hard to spell

Getting back to the content of your post, I agree.   Idzik's big draft, may have been one of the worst in Jets history.  Complicating matters is that Macc has been meh at best.  Which is kind of surprising to me.  Macc has a great history as a personnel guy.  

Here's hoping he hits a grand slam in this year's draft, the Jets really need it

The worst draft in Jets history has to be the year they traded for Doug Jolley and drafted Mike Nugent. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Go do it. Pull up the 2012 draft and tell us which players were available when Idzik picked that he should have taken instead at those slots. 

2012 NFL Draft?? Coulda, woukda, shoulda.....

Rd 1: Ingram, Chandler Jones

Rd. 2 Alshon Jeffrey, Kemeche Osemele (lol), Russell Wilson

Rd. 3 Demario is a better player than Lee, Good pick the Jets gave up on

Better options: Sanu, T.Y. Hilton

Rd 4 and 5: No picks. A real GM could have traded all of those late rounders and parlayed them into 1 of the following: Lamar Miller, Malik Jackson, LB Brandon Marshall, Josh Norman, Marvin Jones

Rd 6 & 7 were the usual wastelands. 

Now, here is the Idzik 12 Draft (2014)

?

Rd 1: Brandon Cooks, Ha-Ha Clinton Dix (much better than the Louisville Slug), Dee Ford

Rd 2: Davante Adams, Carlos Hyde, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry

Rd 3: Anyone who was able to play Football without being broken all the time. A participation trophy would be better than what we got from Dexter McDoogle. How about John Brown or Dante Montcrief? LOL

Rd 4: Bruce Ellington, Martavis Bryant, James White? At least Dakota Dozier can make an NFL roster, unlike the rest of the wastes Idzik took. Not one he drafted so far in the top rounds is still playing Football....

Rd 5: Nothing. There was nothing there. Doesn't matter. Hell, should have drafted Enunwa here.... But maybe a couple of them are still playing, unlike Jeremiah George, who I don't think ever made a regular season roster.

Rd 6: Dr. Douvernay -Tardiff over Brandon Dixon? 

Quincy Enunwa was the steal of that draft. But the rest of the draft were garbage. Tajh Boyd? LOL. Ik? Well, he did save us from Geno....

The problem was two-fold. With a huge volume of picks, they got 1 guy worth a sh*t. One. 

6th and 7th rounds are total crap shoots. Idzik didnt package a box of garbage together for an extra 4 or 5? Maybe.move up in the earlier rounds? Something resembling effort and strategy? Failure. 

It was a "bad" draft, true, but Idzik compounded that problem by taking a LOT of very bad, useless players, instead of using his resources and at least trying to convert that into at least serviceable players. The Jets have too many very high picks over the last 10 years who couldn't even stick on a 53 ANYWHERE. 2014 was historic in its failure, though.

Sorry for the long, unnecessary answer, @T0mShane.... I was bored. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

55 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The worst draft in Jets history has to be the year they traded for Doug Jolley and drafted Mike Nugent. 

Not even close.  Nugent had a decent career for starters.  Miller?  He made a pro bowl Rhodes? Pouha? No way, especially given the all time worst drafts we've managed

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

2012 NFL Draft?? Coulda, woukda, shoulda.....

Rd 1: Ingram, Chandler Jones

Rd. 2 Alshon Jeffrey, Kemeche Osemele (lol), Russell Wilson

Rd. 3 Demario is a better player than Lee, Good pick the Jets gave up on

Better options: Sanu, T.Y. Hilton

Rd 4 and 5: No picks. A real GM could have traded all of those late rounders and parlayed them into 1 of the following: Lamar Miller, Malik Jackson, LB Brandon Marshall, Josh Norman, Marvin Jones

Rd 6 & 7 were the usual wastelands. 

Now, here is the Idzik 12 Draft (2014)

?

Rd 1: Brandon Cooks, Ha-Ha Clinton Dix (much better than the Louisville Slug), Dee Ford

Rd 2: Davante Adams, Carlos Hyde, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry

Rd 3: Anyone who was able to play Football without being broken all the time. A participation trophy would be better than what we got from Dexter McDoogle. How about John Brown or Dante Montcrief? LOL

Rd 4: Bruce Ellington, Martavis Bryant, James White? At least Dakota Dozier can make an NFL roster, unlike the rest of the wastes Idzik took. Not one he drafted so far in the top rounds is still playing Football....

Rd 5: Nothing. There was nothing there. Doesn't matter. Hell, should have drafted Enunwa here.... But maybe a couple of them are still playing, unlike Jeremiah George, who I don't think ever made a regular season roster.

Rd 6: Dr. Douvernay -Tardiff over Brandon Dixon? 

Quincy Enunwa was the steal of that draft. But the rest of the draft were garbage. Tajh Boyd? LOL. Ik? Well, he did save us from Geno....

The problem was two-fold. With a huge volume of picks, they got 1 guy worth a sh*t. One. 

6th and 7th rounds are total crap shoots. Idzik didnt package a box of garbage together for an extra 4 or 5? Maybe.move up in the earlier rounds? Something resembling effort and strategy? Failure. 

It was a "bad" draft, true, but Idzik compounded that problem by taking a LOT of very bad, useless players, instead of using his resources and at least trying to convert that into at least serviceable players. The Jets have too many very high picks over the last 10 years who couldn't even stick on a 53 ANYWHERE. 2014 was historic in its failure, though.

Sorry for the long, unnecessary answer, @T0mShane.... I was bored. 

I’m glad you did this because it dispels two myths: 1. That it was a great draft brimming with amazing players and (more importantly) 2. The 2019 Jets are in bad shape because of Idzik’s drafts—Only two of the players you would have chosen instead—with benefit of 20/20 hindsight, knowing what they’d become—are still with the team that drafted them. Davante Adams and James White. Idzik sucked in that draft, but only three teams didn’t outright suck in that draft—Rams (even though they took Greg Robinson second overall), the Raiders, and one other team I can’t remember right now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Huh?  Worst draft in Jets history?   C-mon.  Compared to the Idzik draft the 2005 draft was a Home run.

Yeah the Jolley story is a fun story to tell, but in all honesty some good players came out of that draft.

Sione Pouha, was a major player for like 7 years

Kerry Rhodes was one of the best S's in football for awhile

Justin Miller, even though he never turned out to be a top CB, was the best KR in the league.

Nugent was in the league for a 100 years LOL,  Most of Idzik's picks didn't make 3.

Not even close to Idzik's draft.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I will admit that I am not an NFL scout and have been wrong far more than I have been right with regards to NFL draft prospects.

Not sure what was more egrigious-actually drafting 12 players (knowing there was zero chance all of them could make the roster) or not taking a WR (huge need at the time) until the fourth round in one of the best WR draft classes in recent history. 

I don't think anyone on this forum needs to add the "I am not an NFL scout" disclaimer.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Idzik drafted a CB who flopped and a DE in richardson who was pretty good for a while.

Geno smith was 100 times a better pick than Hackenburg

He drafted two guards and a tackle in his 1st draft.  Winters is still on the team and obushi played in the league for a few years.

He drafted Dozier who has been in the league since he was drafted.

He drafted Enunwa.

Idzik and his infamous draft was horrible. 

Our current GM in 4 drafts has drafted two friggin olineman.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m glad you did this because it dispels two myths: 1. That it was a great draft brimming with amazing players and (more importantly) 2. The 2019 Jets are in bad shape because of Idzik’s drafts—Only two of the players you would have chosen instead—with benefit of 20/20 hindsight, knowing what they’d become—are still with the team that drafted them. Davante Adams and James White. Idzik sucked in that draft, but only three teams didn’t outright suck in that draft—Rams (even though they took Greg Robinson second overall), the Raiders, and one other team I can’t remember right now.

The WR hit rate in that draft was incredibly high in the early rounds. If you recall the Jets were starting David Nelson and Clyde Gates the year before. It was one of those rare instances where need met value and Idzik got way too cute thinking he could find a few gems in the late rounds. 

I didn’t hate the Jace Amaro pick at the time, but I am not paid to evaluate players. The Jets easily could have drafted two WRs in the first three rounds and ended up with Brandin Cooks and Jarvis Landry. In fact Cooks to the Jets was mocked by almost everyone pre draft. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you hotboys think Idzik’s two drafts were bad, wait until you compare them to Maccagnan’s first two drafts this time next year 

If Darnold turns out to be a big time QB Jets fans will be buying McCagnan drinks for free for the rest of his life. That’s his ace in the hole. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

13 of the top 17 picks were pro-bowl players, Jets picked 18th LOL - the year to trade up

Bridgewater, Robinson would have been my first two picks 

The Jets had the flexibility to do so with 12 picks. It was very odd that he didn’t either trade up or trade out for assets the following year. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

strange, everyone said he would not make all 12 picks, so he did... maybe to prove a point?

After he got fired many Idzik critics (probably Rex loyalist so take it for what it’s worth) spoke out and said he was too deliberate and couldn’t make a decision. 

Judging by his press conference and interviews he didn’t seem like a guy who inspired a lot of confidence as a leader. Some people are better served in an advisory role and I think Idzik fits that mold. 

38 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

After he got fired many Idzik critics (probably Rex loyalist so take it for what it’s worth) spoke out and said he was too deliberate and couldn’t make a decision. 

Judging by his press conference and interviews he didn’t seem like a guy who inspired a lot of confidence as a leader. Some people are better served in an advisory role and I think Idzik fits that mold. 

agree, he seemed to know the business and did well to set up the rebuild with comp picks, fixing a few critical mistakes could have saved him

Don't draft a CB to replace Revis - that was set up to fail

Take revis phone call - keep him off pat* SB team 

keep drafting QB's until you have the franchise - Teddy was the pick instead of slugger or trade up...

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The WR hit rate in that draft was incredibly high in the early rounds. If you recall the Jets were starting David Nelson and Clyde Gates the year before. It was one of those rare instances where need met value and Idzik got way too cute thinking he could find a few gems in the late rounds. 

I didn’t hate the Jace Amaro pick at the time, but I am not paid to evaluate players. The Jets easily could have drafted two WRs in the first three rounds and ended up with Brandin Cooks and Jarvis Landry. In fact Cooks to the Jets was mocked by almost everyone pre draft. 

I don’t think the hit rate was very high at all. The one legitimate grievance Jets fans should have regarding passing on a WR is Allen Robinson, but the guy they drafted over him (Amaro) was a first team All American who caught 106 passes as a junior with a 12 yard average, so what can you do? Jarvis Landry put up one of the worst Combines ever for a receiver prospect and interviewed like a serial killer, both of which have played out in the pros considering he’s effectively a very tiny, mouthy tight end. 

6C7D0EB9-8CB5-46C9-AB28-DD90C788ED21.png

11F8728F-B61C-4088-B331-74DF494EB933.png

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It was 2014.  I can almost do it from memory.  Cooks was the obvious one, but I would have accepted Verrett or Roby because Idzik already didn't spend on corners.  If they went CB, the obvious answers were Davante Adams, Latimer or Robinson.  Amaro has teeny, tiny girl hands.  My choices probably would have been Cooks and Garoppolo, but hey what do I know?

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It was 2014.  I can almost do it from memory.  Cooks was the obvious one, but I would have accepted Verrett or Roby because Idzik already didn't spend on corners.  If they went CB, the obvious answers were Davante Adams, Latimer or Robinson.  Amaro has teeny, tiny girl hands.  My choices probably would have been Cooks and Garoppolo, but hey what do I know?

How big are your hands, Dom? Post a picture. Right now. Your hand wrapped around a glistening Coke bottle. cc: @joewilly12

• Upvote 2